IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Tucum" , a surprisingly hardy palm

Alberto

Bactris setosa is a very common suckering palm on the atlantic plane of my state Paraná (Rio Grande do Sul to Bahia) I dig up a little seedling more then 10 years ago and brought it to my tableland place. Despite it´s habitat being nearly frost free it didn´t suffer any leave damage with the heavier frosts that occured here, and that killed for example mature Chamaedorea costaricana nearby. I planted it in deep shade of the araucaria forest. It´s beginning to fruit now. The fruits are purple and tasty and the nuts also are like a little coconut. Some botanist think the spines were a protection against the extincted giant sloths of the past.

post-465-0-54184600-1436717046_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-21807700-1436717099_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-77165400-1436717188_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-29872900-1436717242_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-11370500-1436717332_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-32961500-1436717422_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Thanks for posting and educating us about this palm. It's always nice having a palm that's both ornamental and edible in the garden.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Thats a nice specimen! They are fairly cold hardy. The one we have growing has tolerated upper 20sF with little damage, same with Bactris mexicana.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

very curious palm! interesting report, thanks ;)

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

If you are thinking of sending some seeds to Tasmania at some point Alberto - this one would be most welcome!

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

I have never seen seeds offered for sale, nor the plants. I wonder why, such hardy and interesting palm!

Hi Jonathan, I certainly will find seeds during my vacation at the beach and maybe on my own plant....

I took a good look in Harri Lorenzi´s book "Palmeiras do Brasil" and ....maybe this is not a B. setosa but a B. hatschbachii. I sent Harri an email asking him.

• 3 weeks later...

What a cool discovery - a Bactris that tolerates cooler weather and even frost!

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

• 5 months later...

Fruits are edible

DSCN8388.JPG

DSCN8391.JPG

• Upvote 2