IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmfest 2007

Tag

(Sierra @ Apr. 19 2007,08:51)

Wow, you guys are amazing.   You did all that in a few weeks.

Maybe you should organize the Broward Boys Beerfest in May for all those that can’t attend the October Palmfest in North Fla.

I don't quite understand the last response - how is it disrespectful to other Palm Societies ?  They picked a date  that there wasn't a major palm society function in FL .  So there is a private person's palm sale, but how are they suppose to know every sale, event, everywhere.    

Hey does the IPS/ :laugh:  Palm Society have an on-line calendar that people could check ?

Sierra,

Hello, I am assuming you are refering to my plant sale. Many people , including myself understand that it's hard to pick a "perfect" weekend for such a get together as such. It can be very difficult. But, I did'nt care for your remark about the Broward Boys having a "Beerfest in Broward". First of all, Ken Johnson made the remark about drinking beer for that weekend. He lives in Dade County. And second of all, the last palmfest here in Broward was well organized, no problems what so ever, a big turnout of attendees ,lots of fun by all that came, and I certaintly did not see anyone making a fool of themselves by drinking too much, correct me if I'm wrong.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I consider ill timed..hasty plans...seemingly motivated by the fear of being upstaged,to be disrespectful.

Unfortunately i will not be unable to attend....either Palmfest or Jeff's sale...as i will be in New York for the annual Audio Engineering Society meeting.

I was not involved in Palmfest last time it was here...but hope to next go-round. It would be an honor to show the fanatics the over 650 species we have here.

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Jeff,

Did mean to offend you or others from Broward.  I was responding to this:

(Sorry I'm not as computer savay as some of you and don't know how you do the Quote thing properly"

" I'd organize it now if you guys wanted... but the only area I know really well enough to do it would be Broward County (whatdya think Jeff?  )  There are so many decent priced hotels in Ft. Lauderdale that would work.  Then we can all go party at the Mai Kai  "

(Sierra @ Apr. 19 2007,08:51)

Wow, you guys are amazing.   You did all that in a few weeks.

Maybe you should organize the Broward Boys Beerfest in May for all those that can’t attend the October Palmfest in North Fla.

I don't quite understand the last response - how is it disrespectful to other Palm Societies ?  They picked a date  that there wasn't a major palm society function in FL .  So there is a private person's palm sale, but how are they suppose to know every sale, event, everywhere.    

Hey does the IPS/ :laugh:  Palm Society have an on-line calendar that people could check ?

You don't need a calendar to tell you of October and November conflicts for ALL palm societies here in South Florida. If we are not creating our own sale then we are going to somebody else's sale. From the last week in September until the second week of November we are preparing our plants and our societies for all these sales.

It has been that way for most of us in this business in this part of the world for at least 25 years!!!

I still have not heard one single logical/legitimate reason Anybody would deliberately schedule an even for that specific time when the entire idea is to INCLUDE as many members as possible of ALL Florida palm socities. That is the whole purpose of having this event RIGHT???????

Can somebody please step up and give me one REAL reason it needs to be in October??????

Bill Olson

These decisions do not seem to be driven by either logic or reason.

Its foolish to expect every Palmfest to be better than the last...but we will learn from our mistakes.

Bad timing & a poor turnout will be the legacy of First Coast....lets get it outta the way and move on.

We have a year to plan something truly rewarding & benefical to all members....i vote for SW Fla.

I will welcome a return to a program that is inclusive not divisive  to the Palm community

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

just my 2 cents......

The worst times to hold a Palmfest - if you wanted to maximize attendance - would be March - April and Oct - November.  Those are the 4 months where there are already competing sales.   Just as an example:  last weekend, both USF sale and the Caloosa Park sale, same weekend.  For sellers in Central FL, which to go to?

Those 4 months are chockful of events, and a lot of work is involved in the planning.   There are too many months with nothing - why on earth can't one of those months - like May or June - be selected? makes no sense.

And then there are hurricanes.  October is one of the more active months on the gulf coast.  Right, Jax doesn't usually get hit - but other areas do, and when one is threatening, we're kinda busy with preparations (or unfortunately, recovery).

I'd love to go to a Palmfest, have never been to one (and the way things are going, probably wouldn't be able to).  But if things go better than they seem to be, I won't be available 10/5 or 6 either, for the same reason other posters cited.

Calling the Plant Extravaganza "a private person's palm sale" doesn't do it justice.  It's a wonderful event - quite large, actually - that is attended by palm people from all over - from Louisiana to Jax, St. Pete & Tampa down the gulf coast, and all points in-between - not just broward.  so yeah, scheduling the Palmfest for that weekend wouldn't be a great choice.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

FYI,

Palmfest 2000 West Palm Beach Saturday, May 20, & Sunday May 21, 2000

Palmfest 2001 Tampa / St. Petersburg Central Florida Palm & Cycad Society Saturday, September 29 & Sunday September 30 2001

Palmfest 2002 Sponsored by: Palm & Cycad Societies of Florida (PACSOF) Hosted by South Florida Palm Society May 17-19, 2002

Palmfest 2003 The Palm & Cycad Societies of Florida (PACSOF) hosted by the SW FL Chapter in Fort Myers, “The City of Palms” May 23 – 26, 2003

Palmfest22, 2005 Ft. Lauderdale, Florida Friday, May 20 --Saturday, May 21, Sunday, May

As you can see we have held Palmfest in the fall as well as the spring. I agree that the same dates every year would make it easier for all involved. The Central Florida Palm & Cycad Society chapter wanted to hold theirs in the fall because of a freeze.  The Chapter that hosts the event should be able to pick the date, no? If we give the Central chapter this leeway should we not give the rest the same consideration?

A local palm sale in South Florida 350 miles away should not be considered in conflict.  Feedback was requested before the dates were selected. To verbalize conflict after the fact is not fair to the NE guys. The Southeastern Palm Society is quite active and will help us publicize this event. Go to http://www.sepalms.org we may even learn something from our northern counterparts. So quit wining and accept the dates proposed by the Florida First Coast Chapter We should easily get 80 to 120 people to attend.

If we have enough energy we should get to work on 2008 The WPB Chapter should pick their dates ASAP. If May works for them, so be it.

John

JCD

South Florida

Sorry John...seems as tho your post confirms it is the WRONG time...but agree...their call

Wish Palmfest 2007 the best...lets move on

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

I'm looking forward to it regardless of the date.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(Redland @ Apr. 23 2007,21:12)

FYI,

Palmfest 2000 West Palm Beach Saturday, May 20, & Sunday May 21, 2000

Palmfest 2001 Tampa / St. Petersburg Central Florida Palm & Cycad Society Saturday, September 29 & Sunday September 30 2001

Palmfest 2002 Sponsored by: Palm & Cycad Societies of Florida (PACSOF) Hosted by South Florida Palm Society May 17-19, 2002

Palmfest 2003 The Palm & Cycad Societies of Florida (PACSOF) hosted by the SW FL Chapter in Fort Myers, “The City of Palms” May 23 – 26, 2003

Palmfest22, 2005 Ft. Lauderdale, Florida Friday, May 20 --Saturday, May 21, Sunday, May

As you can see we have held Palmfest in the fall as well as the spring. I agree that the same dates every year would make it easier for all involved. The Central Florida Palm & Cycad Society chapter wanted to hold theirs in the fall because of a freeze.  The Chapter that hosts the event should be able to pick the date, no? If we give the Central chapter this leeway should we not give the rest the same consideration?

A local palm sale in South Florida 350 miles away should not be considered in conflict.  Feedback was requested before the dates were selected. To verbalize conflict after the fact is not fair to the NE guys. The Southeastern Palm Society is quite active and will help us publicize this event. Go to http://www.sepalms.org we may even learn something from our northern counterparts. So quit wining and accept the dates proposed by the Florida First Coast Chapter We should easily get 80 to 120 people to attend.

If we have enough energy we should get to work on 2008 The WPB Chapter should pick their dates ASAP. If May works for them, so be it.

John

Thanx for the info John.

4 out of those 5 dates are clearly May which seems to be the concensus here.

The central chapter putting it in the Fall for 1 event was for a specific/logical reason. (A Freeze)

I am still waiting for even one legitimate/logical reason they are pushing it back to October this time.

We started voicing that a majority would want it to stay in May BEFORE they chose October not After it was chosen. If all our concerns about having it in October are going to be ignored why did we bother going through the farce of having a discussion?

Also, if this event wants congruity leaders of the Chapters of the next Palmfest should be there to take the baton from this one. How can we do that if none of us can be there?

As somebody else said First Coast has the ball now, and all of this discussion has been about expressing opinions that may help them build a successful event. Those that told them in advance that October is a bad time have given fair warning that the attendence may be low. Success on each event is partly based on how well the previous event went. I would hate for anybody to be responsible for the size and scope of this event to be diminished.

I wish you all good luck. I for one (along with Many others) can not be in any part of an October/November event. We didn't even begin to discuss those with kids in school like Claude Roatta and his wife that will probably not be able to bring the whole family if you have it in October. Look on the bright side. At least you won't have to worry about running out of rooms in whatever hotel you get in October. And maybe people will get to wear jackets and sweaters to look at tropical palm trees. That could be a memorable novelty.  :D

Bill Olson

President SFPS

(waykoolplantz @ Apr. 22 2007,06:09)

These decisions do not seem to be driven by either logic or reason.

Its foolish to expect every Palmfest to be better than the last...but we will learn from our mistakes.

Bad timing & a poor turnout will be the legacy of First Coast....lets get it outta the way and move on.

We have a year to plan something truly rewarding & benefical to all members....i vote for SW Fla.

I will welcome a return to a program that is inclusive not divisive  to the Palm community

i repeat

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

(Bill Olson @ Apr. 30 2007,17:26)

We started voicing that a majority would want it to stay in May BEFORE they chose October not After it was chosen. If all our concerns about having it in October are going to be ignored why did we bother going through the farce of having a discussion?

Bill,

Please show me where anyone mentions in this thread that October would not work for them prior to the date being disclosed.  The date is now set.  If you want to discuss this further, why don't you call someone from the FCPS to discuss rather than acting like a child and throwing insults from behind a computer.  You have obvioulsy taken this personally.  I have refrained from responding previoulsy because I do not want to get into a back and forth arguement on a message board, which is rather Juvenile.  Matt Encinosa is leading the committee planning the event.  He can be reached at 904-287-5335.  Call me if you want 904-646-9522.  

Jason

I cannot attend in October...  Good luck with the event, I hope it goes well.  

I do see the need for an event coordinator (the infighting is disheartening)...  It need not be a huge job as this only happens once a year...  A single person who has the responsibility to cycle the event through the various societies of Florida, arrange accomadations and the like...  I am certainly NOT volunteering for this job this year, but I would be happy to volunteer for this obligation in the future...  I would assume this job might fall under PACSOF's jurisdiction?  I am not sure this is the right place to announce this, or even if my help is welcomed... but if it is, perhaps someone could point me in the right direction.  My thinking is, I would prefer to see the event planned with plenty of advance notice, maybe even up to or more than a year in advance...  Someone PM me.

O yeah, are there two others that would be interested in helping me with a "Annual Palmfest Commitee"  (Gosh I think I'm trying to create a committee...  I HATE COMMITTEES!!  LOL...) Maybe we can call it the Annual Palmfest Friendship or Partnership or something...  :)

Ideally we would all live relatively close to each other...  Palm Beach through Monroe counties (or even Lee or Collier) kind of thing, certainly I would not exclude participation from members living further away, but meeting would be geographically/logistically difficult.

(PiousPalms @ May 01 2007,13:29)

O yeah, are there two others that would be interested in helping me with a "Annual Palmfest Commitee"  (Gosh I think I'm trying to create a committee...  I HATE COMMITTEES!!  LOL...) Maybe we can call it the Annual Palmfest Friendship or Partnership or something...  :)

Ideally we would all live relatively close to each other...  Palm Beach through Monroe counties (or even Lee or Collier) kind of thing, certainly I would not exclude participation from members living further away, but meeting would be geographically/logistically difficult.

I would be willing to be on such a commitee. Clearly there needs to be a commitee to make sure if one chapter is not getting the job done in time for the event to remain on the same May dates each year then another chapter is brought in to pick up the slack.

As for the "infighting"... This is not in any way personal to me. I don't know any of these people from the NE chapter. I thought this was an open discussion of the correct dates until someone jumped in here to call me a child. I am not surprised this has turned personal on a public internet forum. That is why I stay away from these things. If it is childish to ask for a logical reason for moving the dates to October then I am certainly a preteen. If it is juvenile to ask the same question over and over again when I don't get any legitimate answers then I am probably about 10 years old.

My friend and collegue John Demott is constantly telling me "I can accept you telling me no and even support you if you give me a good logical reason for telling me no". All I have been asking here is for 1 legitimate/logical reason for putting this event in October.

At the risk of somehow being childish I will ask one more time;

Can ANYBODY give me one legitimate/logical reason here Publically why this event is being pushed all the way back to October?????????

Thank you in advance for you Public answer.

Bill Olson

President SFPS

I am new on this forum but am adding my 2 cents again.

I think some of the confusion (at least for me) comes from the fact that there are 2 topics titled "Palmfest 2007".  The first one was started by Ray on 2/22 and the last post to it was on 3/24.  This topic has only dates in May or June.  Nothing is ever discussed in this topic about October.  I think the consensus was to let the NE chapter meet and get back to us.  Which they did.

The second topic with the name "Palmfest 2007" - the one I am in now - was started by Jason on 3/30.  It starts out by indicating the dates in October.  I don't know what happened between the 2 topics or why a second one was started.  It has certainly caused confusion and discontent.

I was very excited while reading the first topic about attending another great event somewhere on teh west coast in May or June.  And then I opened the first post under the new topic and there is October.  Clearly there was a disconnect somewhere.

For you folks in the NE, good luck with your event in October.  Hopefully, the next one will be in May or June.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

(palmmermaid @ May 02 2007,07:11)

I am new on this forum but am adding my 2 cents again.

I think some of the confusion (at least for me) comes from the fact that there are 2 topics titled "Palmfest 2007".  The first one was started by Ray on 2/22 and the last post to it was on 3/24.  This topic has only dates in May or June.  Nothing is ever discussed in this topic about October.  I think the consensus was to let the NE chapter meet and get back to us.  Which they did.

The second topic with the name "Palmfest 2007" - the one I am in now - was started by Jason on 3/30.  It starts out by indicating the dates in October.  I don't know what happened between the 2 topics or why a second one was started.  It has certainly caused confusion and discontent.

I was very excited while reading the first topic about attending another great event somewhere on teh west coast in May or June.  And then I opened the first post under the new topic and there is October.  Clearly there was a disconnect somewhere.

For you folks in the NE, good luck with your event in October.  Hopefully, the next one will be in May or June.

Clearly we ALL read the first thread talking about MAY dates. The reason this thread was started was to IGNORE the needs and opinions of the majority. I keep coming back to the same old question...

WHY???????

(Bill Olson @ Apr. 30 2007,17:26)

At least you won't have to worry about running out of rooms in whatever hotel you get in October. And maybe people will get to wear jackets and sweaters to look at tropical palm trees. That could be a memorable novelty.  :D

Bill,

Comments like this are an attempt at an insult.  The average temperature in Jacksonville in October is a high of 79 and low of 66.  Far from freezing.  

To answer your question though.  I can't really give any insight into the happenings from last year becasue I was not a member of the FCPS at the time, but here is the jist of it.  The FCPS was approached to host Palmfest in 2006 on Memorial Weekend, but the event was cancelled because they could not find a hotel with sufficient capacity to accomodate the event.  

The topic of Palmfest 2007 came up on this board in February 2007.  As a frequenter of the board, I noticed the thread and contacted the other members of the FCPS about hosting the event again.  In the mean time, Christian began planning for the event in SW FL.  The next meeting of the FCPS was scheduled for March 29th and the consensus was that we should make a decision about the event at that time when the majority of the members were together as a goup.  Based on the prior year's experience, the group knew that Memorial Day weekend would not be an option and began looking at other dates.  The ideal date would have been a three day weekend, so Labor Day was the next logical choice.  We also wanted to have sufficient time to plan the event and did not want to rush to put something together.  Our intent in pushing the event out to the Fall was so that we had sufficient time to plan a successful event.  You may have experience hosting large palm sales/events, but we do not and we want to make sure that we do this right.  

The feedback that we received about Labor Day weekend was less than enthusiastic.  There were too many family obligations and we felt that attendance would be low.  Also, many of our members would not have been able to attend or assist in hosting.  We began looking for alternative dates.  I posted a thread on this board and the CFPACS board for feedback prior to setting the date.  The posts were started on March 30.  The date was not confirmed until 10 days later.  We did not receive any negative feedback about the date until after it was disclosed.  Matt Encinosa also called members of other societies to get their feedback.  Based on the feedback we received, we initally were shooting for the weekend after Labor Day, but found conflicts.  I beleive the week after that is the FSU/Alabama game here in Jax and the hotels were all sold out.  We then settled on Oct. 6th.  The negative feedback has come from the same 6 people since the date was disclosed.  

Unfortunately, this date conflicts with your palm sale.  There are going to be conflicts with any date, but we tried to choose the date that would allow for the greatest attendance, with the least amount of conflicts, and that allowed for sufficient time to plan a successful event.  We do hope that everyone that can attend will attend and we are very much looking forward to the event.  

Thanks,

Jason

OK Guys!  You heard it here...  Bill Olsen and I are going to start an Event Coordiantion Group...   Who else wants to be part of planning this event on a yearly basis?  I think it takes at least 3 to make a group!  Someone who wants to get involoved here is your opportunity!

:cool:

(Tag @ May 02 2007,10:19)

To answer your question though.  I can't really give any insight into the happenings from last year becasue I was not a member of the FCPS at the time, but here is the jist of it.  The FCPS was approached to host Palmfest in 2006 on Memorial Weekend, but the event was cancelled because they could not find a hotel with sufficient capacity to accomodate the event.  

The topic of Palmfest 2007 came up on this board in February 2007.  As a frequenter of the board, I noticed the thread and contacted the other members of the FCPS about hosting the event again.  In the mean time, Christian began planning for the event in SW FL.  The next meeting of the FCPS was scheduled for March 29th and the consensus was that we should make a decision about the event at that time when the majority of the members were together as a goup.  Based on the prior year's experience, the group knew that Memorial Day weekend would not be an option and began looking at other dates.  The ideal date would have been a three day weekend, so Labor Day was the next logical choice.  We also wanted to have sufficient time to plan the event and did not want to rush to put something together.  Our intent in pushing the event out to the Fall was so that we had sufficient time to plan a successful event.  You may have experience hosting large palm sales/events, but we do not and we want to make sure that we do this right.  

The feedback that we received about Labor Day weekend was less than enthusiastic.  There were too many family obligations and we felt that attendance would be low.  Also, many of our members would not have been able to attend or assist in hosting.  We began looking for alternative dates.  I posted a thread on this board and the CFPACS board for feedback prior to setting the date.  The posts were started on March 30.  The date was not confirmed until 10 days later.  We did not receive any negative feedback about the date until after it was disclosed.  Matt Encinosa also called members of other societies to get their feedback.  Based on the feedback we received, we initally were shooting for the weekend after Labor Day, but found conflicts.  I beleive the week after that is the FSU/Alabama game here in Jax and the hotels were all sold out.  We then settled on Oct. 6th.  The negative feedback has come from the same 6 people since the date was disclosed.  

Unfortunately, this date conflicts with your palm sale.  There are going to be conflicts with any date, but we tried to choose the date that would allow for the greatest attendance, with the least amount of conflicts, and that allowed for sufficient time to plan a successful event.  We do hope that everyone that can attend will attend and we are very much looking forward to the event.  

Thanks,

Jason

Thank you for the timeline showing how you came to the wrong date. If people took 1 day, or 5 days, or 10 days to respond to your bad dates that has NOTHING to do with the fact that your dates are bad. Every argument brought up here after you chose Bad dates is valid. You can still change your Bad dates. I still don't see a real reason being offered for not planning it on a more inclusive date. I understand your fears of getting an event together in too short a time. I would not want anybody in your group to think they were forced into doing this in a short time. That is why somebody else offered to step up and get it done in a timely manner.

On this thread alone, not counting the other thread that was posted before you started this one, I see;

7 saying a resounding "No I can't make it then!".

&

1 saying "I will make it to any date you choose" (so really he is also for May)

That makes 7 to 1 on this thread alone. If your real concern is about attendence move it to some time in late August/early September. Just because you posted a Bad October date doesn't mean you can't go back and post a new August or September date that works for many more people. You still have 4 months to plan an event for that time of year. If 4 months is not enough time you can give me a call. I will talk you through it.

To be perfectly clear, "My Sale" is not on October 5th. The SFPS Sale will be on November 3 & 4. Between the last weekend in September until the 2nd weekend in November there are at least 6 palm sale events in South Florida that I know of. Those of us that have an interest in a Palmfest are Very involved in these sales and events that have been going on for Many years. You are admittedly new to this process, so perhaps Listening to all the voices around you that are trying to help you might be a good idea.

If you really don't think you can change the date to some time in late August/early September PLEASE call me. I assure you I can walk you through the entire thing in the next 4 months you still have to get it done.

All the best,

Bill Olson

Bill,

I suggest that you contact Matt directly if you would like to discuss the date further.  He does not frequent this board.

Thanks,

Jason

Well, I guess it is time for me to put my 2 cents in.   It’s disturbing to read all the criticism and insults.    One of the purposes of Palmfest is to bring members from other chapters together, not start arguments over the when & why of date selection.

As Director for the SW FL Chapter, I would like to set the record straight regarding some comments made.   SW FL wasn’t going to steal anyone’s thunder.

In May of 2003, the SW FL Chapter hosted Palmfest  2003 encompassing Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Pine Island and Sarasota.  (Memorial Day weekend worked out great that year, but I had it planned and all the arrangements made several months in advance).   Although a very enthusiastic individual was interested in organizing Palmfest 2007, neither the SW FL Chapter or Central FL agreed to sponsor it in 2007.  The SW FL Palmfest was only 2 Palmfests ago, and we feel that we covered the area well and don’t plan on hosting another Palmfest for several years.    We believe that the order of chapters hosting it should remain, and the next chapter to host Palmfest, would be 1st Coast, then it would start again with the Palm Beach Chapter.  

It is unfortunate, that October 6 is the same day that Searle’s have their big Plant Extravaganza which does draw a huge crowd, but how was anyone in the First Coast Chapter suppose to know about this, as this sale doesn’t occur on the same weekend every year.    

August & September are in the middle of rainy season and also the worst hurricane months.  Although hurricanes have occurred in October, it is usually a milder month.

The PACSOF Board thought May would be a good month as it is before rainy season and hurricane season, but some chapters had reasons to deviate from this.  <I think John “Redlands” made several good points including the host chapter selecting the dates.>

There was also some discussion about having Palmfest every other year in years that there was not an IPS biennial.   Maybe we can get it back on schedule, but as for 2007, it’s too late.

Yes, you can probably reserve hotel rooms, but it’s much too short of notice to have the event notice as well as registration forms published in chapter newsletters, etc.    Many people may have already made other plans for the next couple of months.      

So let's give the First Coast Chapter our support.

(SW_FL_Palms @ May 03 2007,14:22)

Well, I guess it is time for me to put my 2 cents in.   It’s disturbing to read all the criticism and insults.    One of the purposes of Palmfest is to bring members from other chapters together, not start arguments over the when & why of date selection.

As Director for the SW FL Chapter, I would like to set the record straight regarding some comments made.   SW FL wasn’t going to steal anyone’s thunder.

In May of 2003, the SW FL Chapter hosted Palmfest  2003 encompassing Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Pine Island and Sarasota.  (Memorial Day weekend worked out great that year, but I had it planned and all the arrangements made several months in advance).   Although a very enthusiastic individual was interested in organizing Palmfest 2007, neither the SW FL Chapter or Central FL agreed to sponsor it in 2007.  The SW FL Palmfest was only 2 Palmfests ago, and we feel that we covered the area well and don’t plan on hosting another Palmfest for several years.    We believe that the order of chapters hosting it should remain, and the next chapter to host Palmfest, would be 1st Coast, then it would start again with the Palm Beach Chapter.  

It is unfortunate, that October 6 is the same day that Searle’s have their big Plant Extravaganza which does draw a huge crowd, but how was anyone in the First Coast Chapter suppose to know about this, as this sale doesn’t occur on the same weekend every year.    

August & September are in the middle of rainy season and also the worst hurricane months.  Although hurricanes have occurred in October, it is usually a milder month.

The PACSOF Board thought May would be a good month as it is before rainy season and hurricane season, but some chapters had reasons to deviate from this.  <I think John “Redlands” made several good points including the host chapter selecting the dates.>

There was also some discussion about having Palmfest every other year in years that there was not an IPS biennial.   Maybe we can get it back on schedule, but as for 2007, it’s too late.

Yes, you can probably reserve hotel rooms, but it’s much too short of notice to have the event notice as well as registration forms published in chapter newsletters, etc.    Many people may have already made other plans for the next couple of months.      

So let's give the First Coast Chapter our support.

Geri,

Thanks for that detailed explanation. It answers a lot of questions that I, and I'm sure others had. Being fairly new to this forum, I wasn't aware there was a schedule of chapters to host, so wasn't sure why when one chapter was organizing the event, another abruptly began organizing the same event. Additionally, it would probably have been better if the 2nd palmfest 2007 thread hadn't been started, but the changes, reasons, location, dates, etc., continued on the existing thread so we were all on the same page. There seems to have been a whole calamity of events and misunderstandings, so best to learn from them and move on. I agree we should not focus on who is right, but what is right and support the First Coast chapters decision. I'm sure these events will improve with each year.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Just so there is no misunderstanding, I believe PACSOF wants to be flexible.

The schedule for hosting Palmfest isn’t “set in stone”.  The idea is to give every chapter a turn.

When each chapter has hosted Palmfest, then the rotations starts over again.

It just in the case of SW FL, I feel we just hosted a Palmfest.    We don’t want to repeat the same venues so soon.   <Sorry for all those that missed it, it was great>.    Since Christian is VP for CFPACS, he may organize the next one in the west coast, if Palm Beach doesn’t want to do it.

There was mention of an interactive Events Calendar.   I recall there being one on Palms.org, but can’t located it now.    If there isn’t one, do you think the webmaster for IPS & PACSOF can set one up ?   It would be nice to have a central place to check out what Palm events are happening and where.

I also was not aware that there was any order for the various chapters to host the event...  It sounds like my commitee for organizing palmfest is already in place??

Actually, there is no committee in place, so if you guys want to start one, please coordinate with John (Redlands).  The  PACSOF Board hasn’t been very active lately.    As you can see from a previous post, there has been a time lapse between Palmfests.     Thanks to the enthusiasm of a few individuals, there has been a revitalization of PACSOF.    There are new officers place.

As I said before, there isn't a defined order for which chapter hosts it.   It is an undertaking and I don't think any of the Chapters want to host it too frequently.   I believe there are 6 chapters in all so you would expect to have at least 5 years before hosting it again.

Some areas have more venues, more places to see, and more active members, and therefore, may not mind hosting Palmfest sooner.   We don't want attendees to say "We were there not longer ago" and therefore not attend.

So if you want this to succeed, please give PACSOF  your support.   If your schedule allows it, try to attend Palmfest no matter when it is held.

(PiousPalms @ May 04 2007,09:50)

I also was not aware that there was any order for the various chapters to host the event...  It sounds like my commitee for organizing palmfest is already in place??

Bill,

Ohhh no, not so fast, your not going to get off that easy. Your innnnnnnn !!! :D

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

HAHAHA Jeff!

Busted.gif

(You might get roped into helping out one day, there's the real humor  :;): )

Geri, thanks for the info...  I'll see if I can do anything!

I’d like to attend Palmfest and also would like to go to Searle’s sale.   It’s such a long drive back from north FL that Sunday afternoon that it might be too late by the time I get there.

Jeff,

You seem like a nice guy and interested in promoting Palmfest.  Is there anyway that you would consider changing the date of your sale ?    It seems that there are a lot of people that would not go to Palmfest because they are going to your sale.  Wasn’t your sale in September last year ?

Sierra,

Jeff's sale was only one of the several reasons that folks couldn't make it in October.  Other reasons included hurricane season and other sales that weekend or preparation for other sales.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

The only other sale I read about was not in the state of FL.  Maybe there are others.

Except for an oddball Hurricane, usually hurricanes have past by October.   Someone (maybe it was Bill Olson) suggested having it in Aug/Sept.  Now that is in the middle of hurricane season.  

I think there were good reasons that the month of May was chosen, but it's not going to happen this year.

So what is better - October or waiting another year ?

:cool

Hello Sierra,

Like Kitty just said, my plant sale is/or would be  one of a few reasons that some people can't attend palmfest. It is extreamly hard to pick a date that would be completely open and not having other sales,meetings,garden tours or whatever. I did not mention my dates earlier, but John DeMott was certaintly aware of my dates. But regardless, the host chapter has to decide what weekend best fits their times and needs.

My plant sale is now in it's 9th. year and has always been on the first weekend of October. The only exception was this past fall when the IPS held it's Biennial in the Dom. Republic. And because I wanted to attend, I had to move it up one week. This is the very reason that some people are voicing their concerns, that Palmfest is not held in the same month. And I don't want to start bouncing my dates around either. Many people now know and expect my sale the same time every year.  Picking dates is and should be up to the host chapter that is holding it.

Honestly, I think this has been blown out of proportion some and feel like my sale will not interfere at all. I wish the palmfest all the best, I'm sure the people that are involved putting it together, will go out of their way to make it the best ever. I myself, look forward to seeing many pictures that will be posted after it's over.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I’m sorry, Jeff, that I even suggested that.  I didn’t realize your sales have a set weekend.  (I was confused since it was Sept last year – now I know why.)   And that is a good thing for your customers to know that it’s the same weekend.   Too bad the 1st Coast chapter wasn’t told in advance.   You seem like a very smart businessman – your sale is the first of the season, before all the others start.    And it is truly a Plant extravaganza.   I like it because there is more than palms for sale.     But I'll probably have to miss it if I go to Palmfest.   Well, there's always next year.

• 1 month later...

BUMP!

Anything new to report?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I'm going to turn up at one of these one day, scare the pants off you all. I'll be in disguise of course, just sneek around amongst you, "Excuse me, is that a palm or a cycad?"

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Wal @ Jun. 13 2007,19:47)

I'm going to turn up at one of these one day, scare the pants off you all. I'll be in disguise of course, just sneek around amongst you, "Excuse me, is that a palm or a cycad?"

Bring it on Big Guy! We'll get the party started then. :D

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Wal @ Jun. 13 2007,19:47)

Wal,

We would know you from the hat or shirt you wear!  And that Aussie accent would certainly give you away, along with that sense of humor you have!

I would love to meet you and talk about your homeland with you.  You would probably run away in a few hours yelling "get me away from this crazy woman!!!!!"

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

• 3 weeks later...

The letter looks good!

Now the time and date is set, it is either a yay or nay as to whether one can go. One of PACSOF's main jobs each or every other year is to work with each FL chapter to help them with their Palmfest. As VP of CFPACS, I tried to get them to sponsor Palmfest for my area because I also act as Secretary/Treasurer for PACSOF. PACSOF's corporate status had expired and no one renewed it until John and I talked and got it up and running. The NE chapter is the "due" chapter to host the event. I did do a bunch of work getting one ready here in early April, but after doing so, the NE chapter expressed interest in hosting for the fall. John and I gave them our "blessing" so to speak.

People who have attended Palmfests in the past know they are there to have fun and they are on vacation. Many good palm stories are told after a few drinks. I got to meet Ken, Jerry, Jeff S., Ray, and others for the first time at the one in 2005. As a nurseryman, I respect those who can't go because of a sale. Many of us depend on these sales for our income and require a lot of planning and tough work. Officially I can't make a comment one way or the other, but I understand where both sides are coming from. There is no need for insults, however.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε