IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabinaria Magnifica!

Scott Cohen

One of the coolest palms on the planet today! We had decent germination but a heck of a time getting them pushed up. This is the only one we will be selling.

It is in a 1g container for scale 350$.

post-858-0-88348200-1436567100_thumb.jpg

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

Few more pictures. The leaf stem has cleared the ground, should be pushing leaf #2 any day.

post-858-0-96459000-1436629288_thumb.jpg

post-858-0-58505100-1436629422_thumb.jpg

hey Scott, nice palm! In the background, are those your dwarf Licuala sallehanas? You should get some fertilizer on dem.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Lol. Bring them over to the nursery, I'll give them some good tlc.

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe this hasn't sold yet, as pando said this is probably the first time that one of these has been put up for sale other than seed. Someone buy this! Prove my suspicion that these will survive some South Florida cold lol. I'm convinced this is going to be a winner here, Itaya, Chelyocarpus, Crysophila, Schippia, and every other relative of this plant are capable of surviving here, there's no reason this won't!

Rory, your absolutely right that because of all their cousins that do so well here in south Florida, there's no reason why this new palm won't. I think like me, the collectors are holding out a little longer as we see what this palm will do. But I think eventually, many of us will have this palm in our gardens happily growing. Good luck Scott.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Oh come on, I have no doubt the die-hard collectors are already racing who will get to have the largest one in their collection. Just no one is admitting it and trying to keep it a secret for as long as possible.

:mrlooney:

Thread hi-jack time. The Sabinaria seedling reminds me of Satranala seedling. Has anyone tried the forest Bismarckia in south Florida?

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Satranala is difficult in Florida, I do not know anyone who has grown them outside for any length of time.

wellllll

did it sell yet?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 1 month later...

I would love to try some in CR. On RPS now for 370.00$ for 10 seeds. Not sure if they can get them to me in time before I go back.

Zone 13 

450' jungle river up to 700' open sun B)

do you his this palm could grow here in coastal San Diego??

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 9 months later...

I'm willing to lay money that this palm is hardy to zone 10 areas. I say that because all of it's relatives are, some even hardier. Also, there are so few palmate palms that are ultra-tropical. 

I believe Satranala does not do well in SoFL because of the pH, it grows in understory forest, it won't like limestone. I have seen a nice one in organic soil in Lee County doing well.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε