IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Killer" Hybrid Bromeliad

Pedro 65

The "Amazing" thing about this Insane looking Brom is not only its Looks but its Parentage.

Its Parents are Aechmea samurai X Hohenbergia leopoldo horstii , its remarkable what "keen" Brom breeders can breed, Im really into Carcharodon hybrids but its a real "buzz" to find a new hybrid from 2 "different sp :)

Im very chuffed.

Pete

post-5709-0-00233900-1436342394_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-55917100-1436342456_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-07463500-1436342497_thumb.jp

Very Nice!!! Ghostly silver above and below.

Looks like a massive plant. What's the maximum size going to be?

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Very Nice!!! Ghostly silver above and below.

Looks like a massive plant. What's the maximum size going to be?

Thanks Gene, its only a pup and over 40cm high, but here what i can expect, :) near "double the height

xHOHENMEA ‘Ninja Shinobi’ Draper R / Giddins M * 2007

Mature, bulbous-based rosette to 50cms diameter x 75cms. high. Scurfed grey-green leaves with slight silver cross-banding and black spines. Arching, branched, mealy-pink-stemmed spike to 1 metre. long with rose pink scape bracts and creamy lavender flowers. Grex siblings = 'Ninja Ghost', 'Ninja Princess', 'Ninja Star Wars', 'Ninja Warrior', 'Ninja Rosco-San'. Reg. Doc. 10/2014 by M Giddins

Country of origin: Queensland Australia

Très joli!

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Très joli!

Yes David it "is" Tr'es joli / Very pretty :)

Pete

I want one! Really nice.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

I'm not into hybrids (a species collector) but that one got my attention . Very, very nice!

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I want one! Really nice.

I'm not into hybrids (a species collector) but that one got my attention . Very, very nice!

Thanks Scott and Ray, heres a shot on this cool wet morning with "no flash" to show its "true" colours, the flash last nt made it look whiter than what it is, love the "Black" tips and bands.

Pete

post-5709-0-60448000-1436397098_thumb.jp

Thats the sh*t right there Pete! Nice!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

wow!!!

lucky dog you!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Thats the sh*t right there Pete! Nice!

wow!!!

lucky dog you!!

:) thanks Bill, its a Killer looker, almost Carcharodon like but the leaves are "thicker", as soon as I saw it I thought, it "has" to live here :)

Thanks Josh-O, glad I have a "good eye/ keen eye :)

Pete

Ninjas are awesome , mate bhred them , and I saw them as little babies.

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Does anyone here have experience with Neo carcharodon the true species? I've heard it's quite cold sensitive and touchy to grow. Sorry to hijack the thread a bit.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ninjas are awesome , mate bhred them , and I saw them as little babies.

Does anyone here have experience with Neo carcharodon the true species? I've heard it's quite cold sensitive and touchy to grow. Sorry to hijack the thread a bit.

Michael, ohhh, mate eh, I might have to visit him next time Im up there and buy a few different Ninja's, only the 1s with Killer looks :)

Ray, Neo Carcharodon is and has for some time "become" Carcharodon Gigas, heres the last 1 I had, and to me ( all the losses) have been from bad drainage, thats why I put near "all" Carcharodons up on a log or if in a pot the bottom half is "good size" pieces of polystyrene so the water goes "straight through.

Our gardens get down to 3c @ 130 mtrs elevation , if you don't get frost you will be fine.

Hope this rave, made your day :)

Pete

post-5709-0-99272000-1436585454_thumb.jp

Pete, that is great looking Brom. I am a huge fan of Hohenbergia too. I have four different kinds in the garden including a huge Hohenbergia burle marxii that just started flowering :(

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Pete, that is great looking Brom. I am a huge fan of Hohenbergia too. I have four different kinds in the garden including a huge Hohenbergia burle marxii that just started flowering :(

Len, its a great looking Brom alright, "Killer" looks , Ho's are great Broms, I don't have burke marxii and "why the sad face coz its flowering, pups should be appearing by now, post a pic/s of it Leonard :)

Pete

Pups are great Pete, but on these large, slow and rare broms you also lose a big beautiful plant that took years in SoCal to grow so big.

post-649-0-97826600-1436654823_thumb.jpg

post-649-0-38548100-1436654851_thumb.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Australia, land of killer sharks in the ocean AND on land. Bravo Pete!

Pups are great Pete, but on these large, slow and rare broms you also lose a big beautiful plant that took years in SoCal to grow so big.

Thanks Greg, theres been a few very recent Shark attacks/ 1 fatal here in Far Nth NSW , but its "their territory and the Humpbacks are migrating Nth so the Pointers are following them to "cull" the sick and dying.

Len,thanks for the pics, also put your next pups in a raised bed of sand , they grow "much faster" coz the roots can spread quickly, and Len, your still young so you have plenty of time :)

Heres the X 2day, and the cool nts and "more"have made it near completely silver/ white

Pete

post-5709-0-22783300-1436846819_thumb.jp