IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New jubaea advice

yabazid

i received my new Jub two days ago and it doesn't look very well. The seller claims that it was damaged during shipping. I will not mention who I bought this from if anyone would want to know.

I am looking for some advice how to treat it and get it back to its best shape. I applied hydrogen peroxide today to the spear. Also will apply liquid fertilizer to it following the advice of a fellow member.

I am posting a few pics of the damaged palm with the spear pulled.

Here are the pictures as this palm was purchased from me as I have nothing to hide. Unfortunately the palm was damaged in transit, which is why I almost always refuse to ship anything over a 5g. This is not cold damage as the palm has been growing since February and the spear is not brown on the end.

I have recommended for peroxide to be poured in the damaged spear as a precautionry treatment and no overhead watering. The spear will reemerge in 7-10 days as this palm was growing 1/4-3/8" per day for the last few months.

post-6810-0-86455000-1435976675_thumb.jp

post-6810-0-73673200-1435976693_thumb.jp

I'd just wait a bit. It should re-spear.

A banged up spear is far from the end of the world.

Let us know how it grows.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thank you dynodaddy.

I will post updates after a week or two.

Anyone has advice for how often I should apply hydrogen peroxide? Also I have copper fungicide, should I apply?

Thank you dynodaddy.

I will post updates after a week or two.

Anyone has advice for how often I should apply hydrogen peroxide? Also I have copper fungicide, should I apply?

It does not seem to be mechanical damage, but maybe some sort of spear rot.

Jubaeas are tough. you should apply hydrigen peroxide weekly, for 3/4 weeks and avoid overwatering the palm.

Just dump the peroxide onto the spear; if it pulls, dump it straight into the hole. It will fizz.

If you want to, you can use copper fungicide or other commercial fungicides; mix solution acording to directions and do the same as for peroxide.

Let us know.

Jubes are tough! Once they go pinnate, they don't give up easily. They'll live for 1,000 years supposedly.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Rot always is brown and mushy on the end of the spear that pulls, which is why it pulls because it has decomposed and lost its rigidity. This is clearly mechanical breakage as it is very white and crisp looking on the end. This is a 15G plant that is 8-9 years old.

Jubaeas are tough. you should apply hydrigen peroxide weekly, for 3/4 weeks and avoid overwatering the palm.

Rot always is brown and mushy on the end of the spear that pulls, which is why it pulls because it has decomposed and lost its rigidity. This is clearly mechanical breakage as it is very white and crisp looking on the end. This is a 15G plant that is 8-9 years old.

Ok then, as you wish to read it. i know what i am talking about cause i grow 10 jubaeas.

The most important is that you save your nice one :)

I cant see any rot on that one, i was checking mine for spear pull and i accidentally did that with a healthy spear.

healthy spear is white and it grows out the rest of the spear fast. after damage

.i had another which is brown and its actually died now

you should befine. try to keep rain off the spear area for a couple of weeks till the exposed bit grows up

if its mechanical damage don't add anything.

just water very well if its hot or dry - a transplanted Jub has a long tap root that must be established

they transplant very well

now if it is some kind of "rot" everything I just told you is off and add anti fungal as per the recommendations here

How do you mark the spear for growth. I never marked to see for growth before but I want to track this one. I usually track visually every now and then of my other palms. I just need to be sure this palm is fine in its first month.

Thank you everybody for the replies

That's obviously not mechanical damage. A change in environment can cause spear pull without rot. I've had many palms lose spears when they were moved from the greenhouse to the outdoors or from the house to the outdoors.

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

This is the growth of the spear so far. About 1cm. And I have no idea why the picture uploaded upside down!!

post-14014-0-34620400-1436478957_thumb.j

Here's a picture I took just tonight

Thank you everybody for the help and advice

And thank you dynodaddy for the Palm

I will keep posting updates of this palm growth in my zone 8a in Anderson South Carolina. Hopefully someone around will find this useful and for future reference. This is a tough plant!!

post-14014-0-39585400-1436932967_thumb.j

• Upvote 1

I've got to think that we are bound to be due for a warmer winter this year but in the odd chance you have a forecast <17F for a few days in a row with precipitation and highs below freezing I'd play it safe and cover it. A 15G would more than likely sail right through it but I wouldn't want to chance it. We were down to 14 here in 2011 and no potted Jubaea burned but some did suffer from deformed brown spears like younger Butia suffer from. Once I get a 10G Jubaea I move them to 100% sun and always see a spike in their grown rate, even when it is 95-100 degrees outside. They can handle intense sun out here and pick up speed when they get it.

It'll be interesting to see how it will do in Anderson. I plan on moving to Greenville within the next year so maybe we can both test out different palms for the upstate!

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

• 3 months later...

It'll be interesting to see how it will do in Anderson. I plan on moving to Greenville within the next year so maybe we can both test out different palms for the upstate!

Let us know when you do, there's a few of us palm guys in South Carolina and it'd be fun to all get together.

Yabazid- Nice looking Jubaea. I hope it does well with our humidity in the long run but so far it looks good. We should all get together as well sometime soon; me, you and Scot. Maybe we could go hunting around for some wild sabal minors in Anderson? I heard they're pretty abundant up there.

Thank you Smith :)  I hope it makes it in the ground this first winter and through our humid summers too. I met Scot this summer and had the opportunity to see his high school project. He also has a really nice collection of palms he grows at his house. I agree with you, we should all get together and experiment different palms. 

Currently I am overseas for work and I might get the chance to come back in December and if not then spring sometime around April.

I made sure before I leave that my palms wont need me other than just minor care in which a friend can take care of in exchange for presents :floor:. I setup drip for all the plants with a 4 zone timer. 

Thank you Smith :)  I hope it makes it in the ground this first winter and through our humid summers too. I met Scot this summer and had the opportunity to see his high school project. He also has a really nice collection of palms he grows at his house. I agree with you, we should all get together and experiment different palms. 

Currently I am overseas for work and I might get the chance to come back in December and if not then spring sometime around April.

I made sure before I leave that my palms wont need me other than just minor care in which a friend can take care of in exchange for presents :floor:. I setup drip for all the plants with a 4 zone timer. 

Haha very nice. Yeah it's always good to have a friend to "babysit" the palms while away. I did this for a week in which I was out of town last year in late December. But sounds good! Let us know when you get back and we can make plans.

• 2 months later...

Looking good.  Looks like you have a jubaea hybrid and others waiting for a permanent spot in the ground as well.

It feels good someone saying the Jub is doing well. I really want it to get through this year and start growing again in the spring. 

And in the pots you see there are bjxb (flat leafs), jxb and bjxj. On the other side not shown in the pics, a bjxb (V leafs) and a bxj. 

The only protection my potted plants and the Jub get is from rain. Also being in the backyard in a corner where wind is broken by the fence and the house. They are about 10ft from the house. 

I know it's getting down to 19-20. It should be fine with that I am thinking. if it gets down to 9-10 like it did last winter then it's definitely getting some kind of protection. also it would be hard for me to explain to my friend how to protect, being out of the country. It should be warming up the coming week so that's good news!

On July 3, 2015 at 7:35:03 PM, DoomsDave said:

A banged up spear is far from the end of the world.

so true. i have seen much worse than that bounce back.

good luck and dont overthink it! give the palm what it wants and it will come back

1 hour ago, knell said:

so true. i have seen much worse than that bounce back.

good luck and dont overthink it! give the palm what it wants and it will come back

haha yea. Its just so precious lol and special. Just the thought of having a jubaea in my location makes me so happy. I am palm crazy people.

Anyway :P my setup worked for keeping snow of the jubaea and hybrids. I also threw in there a small sago for first winter out and I am surprised it didnt lose foliage at all, or maybe it will show it in the spring. hopefully nothing spear pulls by the end of winter. 

61176f6aaaafe7497eecdd9d16a7ae7f.jpg

ad2998f2adf4296420db840d16b5107e.jpg

9c84b0cc10f327d7d5985d01ed8bbe44.jpg

• Upvote 2

Oh wow, thats dedication! I understand your worry now, its easy for me to not stress when its not my palm and I rarely have to worry about snow. 

Very nice setup/collection!

• Upvote 1

Wow, I'll be following this to see how they pull through after that snow on them lol. I heard Sagos are very cold sensitive?

• Upvote 1

Sagos are sensitive to frozen precipitation on the leaves if it is less than 25F. I've had many take a dry 18-20F with very minimal damage,  but ice and mid 20's will defoliate them.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Ok I am visiting home soon. I cant wait to see and hug my palms. haha:floor: I meant family of course. 

Anyways, I am staying for roughly a week so I will update this thread. Maybe I will put some in the ground. 

• Upvote 1