IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How to introduce windmill palm seedlings to full sun?

Gardy78

Hi everyone,

I really believe i am in the right place for palm trees info and helpful advises. My wife already thinks that i am becoming obseseed with palms. Anyway, i was able to germinate a bunch of windmills and they are already 5"-6". I am afraid to place them outside of fear of getting damaged by critters. I also have an upper deck with western exposure and it gets sun from around 2'00pm to around 06'30pm. Do you think if 4 hrs will be ok for the seedlings and what my general approach should be for introducing them to full sun? I live in Marietta GA zone 7b. Thanks in advance;))

I think they should be fine with 4 hours of sun. You will want to introduce then slowly to full all day sun. I imagine that you have high humidity out there. Personally shade cloth over thenight would be the best thing to introduce them.

BTW I have a coworker that just moved from Marietta to Murieta haha

If you got somewhere under existing canopy that works as well....most things like dappled sunlight. Welcome to PalmTalk.

May also want to wait until night temps drop to the mid 70's if you got them inside now

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Thank you so much for the fast respoces. I am raising the seedlings in a 2 gal pot ,so i will make a custom "cap" of hardware cloth wrapped with clear plastic sheeting, something like a mini green house, which i will be able to take on and off, and start leaving them in the sun for an hour daily for a week ,then two.....that is my idea. Hope it works..once again thanks a lot

Watch out for grasshoppers. They are more dangerous than sun to small trachies.

Watch out for grasshoppers. They are more dangerous than sun to small trachies.

X2 and welcome. Fighting those Georgia thumpers is tough and they love palms.

I'd do dappled shade or shade cloth for a week and then you can place them in the full 4 hours of sun. Gradually allow them to acclimate. Squirrels and grasshoppers will destroy any young palm so make sure you watch out for them. I've had many trachies ripped apart by squirrels who were bored and they just left the spear lying there. Like it was a sinister and diabolical way of fun. Lol!

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

:greenthumb:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24