IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

It's hot in GA

Gdobbs

Hi I'm a fairly new member and somewhat new to palms even though my wife says it looks like we live in Florida with all the tropical plants around my house. The temps have been outrageous so far and we have not even been hit with July yet. I just planted another windmill Palm medium sized and did a good job except the sun got really bright and hot as I was cutting the pot away. The roots were only exposed for about 30 seconds because everything was prepped prior but now it is in transplant shock from too much sunlight. I have a makeshift roof over it and will probably leave it for about 3 weeks taking it off every now and then to let it acclimate to the bright sun. Mine was a nursery Palm probably raised in partial shade so it did not like getting zapped in full sun right off the bat. This is just a latest edition to my 4 needles,1 jelly, 1 medi fan Palm, 1 sago, 2 majesty palms and 2 small windmill palms. I also have 10 windmill seedlings and 1 Hispanolia palmetto blue leaf growing in a pot in the house. I love palms and really only grow cold hardy palms so they will survive winters. There is a guy down the road who has around 6 15 foot tall windmills that have survived our freezes in around 2004. They are my favorites but also like the pintos too. It is going to be interesting seeing what everything can take as far as winter goes. I cannot kill the needles but I'll probably give the jelly some protection under 30 degrees along with the windmills. The sago I'll put in my greenhouse along with my elephant ears once it starts heading below 50. Needles to say our temps go from one extreme to the next. Guess people in Florida don't have to put up with a lot of that. It is interesting to know my windmills will probably grow better in the fall. Anyway have a great summer Palm lovers....peace.

Jelly and Sago easily good to 20. Needle good to 15 or lower. Now this is here in La. where these temps will only hang around 2-3 days before warming.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages