IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Worried/ticked off about new Everglades palm

Yunder Wækraus

I bought a nice-sized Everglades palm clump earlier in the month. To be honest, I didn't inspect it too carefully. I was so excited to be getting some palms that I just assumed that the plant was sold to me in good faith as a healthy plant. I'm not so sure that's the case, but I was hoping for some second opinions from some of you before I assume that the nurseryman sold me a dud.

Ok, so here's the issue: when the plant was delivered, I noticed that a large number of its trunks had been cut (without obvious skill) close to the base of the plant. I just assumed that they had been cut off in order to keep the plant a manageable size for future sale. The plant as it was sold to me had only two larger trunks, both about 6' tall, and they framed by front door nicely. I inspected one of these two trunks yesterday, and I found that the central spear, which had begun to open, was completely dead. Dry, brown, dead :-( I pulled on it, and it just came out like dry paper. I suppose that it could have died after being moved to my home, but I suspect that it was already dead when I bought the plant (and it is my fault that I didn't check more closely).

My questions: (1) What should I do with the trunk with a dead spear? The existing fronds are still green. I'm familiar with cold damage in palms (I had to cut down pretty far on a king palm in CA once to get past the rotted spear from a freeze), but there's no way that this is the result of cold damage. (2) Should I assume that the large number of stumps on the clump are from similar problems in the past? In other words, did this guy sell me a sickly clump of Everglades palms, one which he's been cutting back each time a trunk begins to die of whatever awful malady afflicts the thing?

I've attached photos. If you think I've been given a raw deal, do let me know. I don't want to assume the worst, though.

post-13553-0-01057600-1435414491_thumb.j

post-13553-0-14344800-1435414495_thumb.j

post-13553-0-03473100-1435414499_thumb.j

post-13553-0-10496400-1435414503_thumb.j

It's hard to get a good idea of the overall plant based on the pictures. Having said that, I had a couple of the stems on mine die off shortly after planting it. But as long as there is no disease/ pest hiding in the base of the palm, it will come back nicely. Out here they take a while to become established, I don't think there's enough heat. Anyway, other than the palm ending up a bit less "full" than you were hoping for, it should be fine.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Ok. So you don't think it's weird that half of the trunks were cut off in the past? I just wonder whether there's some sort of well-known disease or fungus that attacks this species. Thanks for the reply.

Alex:

As long as the palm is well-rooted and firm in the ground, you should be all right.

Sometimes trunks get removed in multi trunkers for a number of reasons, especially when the plant's been in the pot for a long time.

Acelleraphe are pretty tough. Make sure it gets plenty of water. I killed one by not watering it enough.

Keep us apprized of your progress!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks. I guess I'll try not to worry. Do you think the trunk with dead spear is dead? Should I cut into it?

It looks like you need the expert opinion/advise of Ken Johnson!

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

Talk to your vendor about it and put them on notice now, not later. Photograph and document in detail. Give them a chance to do something about now. The longer you go, the less willing anyone will be to do anything about it.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Kieth's advise is sound from the legal perspective!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Sounds like past cold damage regarding the old cut trunks.....maybe a bit of thinning as well from the grower. Could be the problem with the spear pull as well. I would Daconil or peroxide down the hole. Inspect for pests....my feeling is once its in the ground it will do fine....they are native for a reason. Soon you will have more trunks than you want.

If you dont notice new spear in a couple of months....you can always operate then.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Thanks. I just checked the smaller trunks more closely and found another dead spear. It was in the ground (in a container in the ground) with thick canopy overhead. The tall royals in the nursery have no cold damage, so I really don't think this Everglades palm suffered cold damage.

Unless it was grown well to the north, there shouldn't be any signs of cold damage. Mine put up with 26º circa 2010, no problem.

It does look as though the clump was abused. Assuming it survives, it'll take longer to get a nice look than you would have expected.

I've very sparingly cut young stems from a huge clump to keep it off a restroom and a sidewalk--if the budge were better, it would make sense to move the sidewalk and building and let the clump expand.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Having experienced similar, i think the plant got too dry. They simply flounder in dry conditions. In situ, they can be inundated at times. Their drought tolerance is minimal at transplant. Keep it super wet while it gets re-established. Then be patient. If you are in sand, you will probably need irrigation...and keep it well mulched.

• Like 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Having experienced similar, i think the plant got too dry. They simply flounder in dry conditions. In situ, they can be inundated at times. Their drought tolerance is minimal at transplant. Keep it super wet while it gets re-established. Then be patient. If you are in sand, you will probably need irrigation...and keep it well mulched.

x2 They're use to being wet all the time. The fronds on them are more sensitive than on other palms as well from what I have seen.

I don't want to sound like a broken drum, but if you intend on possibly asking for restitution if it dies, then I would involve the vendor in asking about what to do in helping this palm along. If you take a course of action without talking to them, that they do not agree with, they may very well come back and say it was you who killed it.

Now, if is a done deal regardless of outcome (death) and you are never going back for adjustment, full replacement or discount on replacement, then just do whatever you want. I learned this the hard way.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I think that, once established, Acoelorrhaphe isn't too fussy about water. Getting established would be a different matter.

Could you use a happy little clumping Ptychosperma elegans or Ptychosperma sp. with red fruit (grower isn't quite sure)? It was intended for a spot that went to a Lepidozamia cycad, and also got shoved aside by a Chuniophoenix.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us