Jump to content
Eric in Orlando

nice public planting of Livistona nitida

Recommended Posts

DoomsDave
On 8/31/2015, 2:38:08, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I have two 15G plants that I'm working to get up to trunking size before I plant outside. I have heard great things about their hardiness and I'd like to be able to get a few established in zone 8B. After seeing these pictures they will be well worth taking the chance.

They grow happily outdoors for Kevin Weaver in Lake Elsinore, which gets cold, with snow. Fast too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave
1 hour ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Beccariophoenix alfredii has about the same hardiness as Phoenix rupicola. It is definitely hardier (cool and cold) than Cocos nucifera but more cold sensitive than Syagrus romanzoffiana.

Well, had high hopes. Alfies in Flagstaff . . . . this world is such a pisser sometimes! :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Keith in SoJax

FWIW, we have several Beccariophoenix alfredii ("Alfies") here in the frost hole.  All are in full sun, or nearly full sun and have no protection from frost.  They turn yellowish in winter and get some spots.  But even after lows near 25, the haven't defoliated or even had large brown patches.  They've been frosted every winter.  I don't know (yet) how low it must get to defoliate them.  It'd be great if I never found out, but that seems unlikely.  They also require no supplemental water, nor do they mind wet feet in our hot, humid, summer rainy season.  In fact, thats when they get their darkest green color.

Regarding L nitida, I know they are good to 20 with little damage, even after 15-18 hours of sub-freezing temps.  Beyond that, I cannot say.  We need to plant more.  

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
13 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Beccariophoenix alfredii has about the same hardiness as Phoenix rupicola. It is definitely hardier (cool and cold) than Cocos nucifera but more cold sensitive than Syagrus romanzoffiana.

Thanks Eric! I'd certainly hope it is hardier than Cocos nucifera, goregous palms but such wimps. lol

6 hours ago, Keith in SoJax said:

FWIW, we have several Beccariophoenix alfredii ("Alfies") here in the frost hole.  All are in full sun, or nearly full sun and have no protection from frost.  They turn yellowish in winter and get some spots.  But even after lows near 25, the haven't defoliated or even had large brown patches.  They've been frosted every winter.  I don't know (yet) how low it must get to defoliate them.  It'd be great if I never found out, but that seems unlikely.  They also require no supplemental water, nor do they mind wet feet in our hot, humid, summer rainy season.  In fact, thats when they get their darkest green color.

Regarding L nitida, I know they are good to 20 with little damage, even after 15-18 hours of sub-freezing temps.  Beyond that, I cannot say.  We need to plant more.  

 

That sounds promising, but you're in Winter Haven right? Can't get too cold there I would think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eric in Orlando
18 hours ago, Keith in SoJax said:

FWIW, we have several Beccariophoenix alfredii ("Alfies") here in the frost hole.  All are in full sun, or nearly full sun and have no protection from frost.  They turn yellowish in winter and get some spots.  But even after lows near 25, the haven't defoliated or even had large brown patches.  They've been frosted every winter.  I don't know (yet) how low it must get to defoliate them.  It'd be great if I never found out, but that seems unlikely.  They also require no supplemental water, nor do they mind wet feet in our hot, humid, summer rainy season.  In fact, thats when they get their darkest green color.

Regarding L nitida, I know they are good to 20 with little damage, even after 15-18 hours of sub-freezing temps.  Beyond that, I cannot say.  We need to plant more.  

 

 

 

Thats good to hear they took that much cold.

We have one planted outside the front of the main gate here at Leu Gardens. Back in the winter of 2009-10 we had 12 nights below freezing. The coldest night only got to 28-29F but it was below freezing for about 10 hours with a very heavy frost. This one at the gate was about 3-4ft tall then and the most exposed specimen we have. It had no damage. Now it is about 8-9ft tall and very robust and I have been asked many times about the "coconut palm" we have at our entrance!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedRabbit
1 hour ago, Eric in Orlando said:

 

 

Thats good to hear they took that much cold.

We have one planted outside the front of the main gate here at Leu Gardens. Back in the winter of 2009-10 we had 12 nights below freezing. The coldest night only got to 28-29F but it was below freezing for about 10 hours with a very heavy frost. This one at the gate was about 3-4ft tall then and the most exposed specimen we have. It had no damage. Now it is about 8-9ft tall and very robust and I have been asked many times about the "coconut palm" we have at our entrance!

I know just the one you're talking about, fine looking palm. :greenthumb:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TexasColdHardyPalms

There were a about 30 growing in Mobile, Al with about 3-4' of clear trunk when 2011 came by and killed most of them. The next cold winter killed the remaining weak palms except one. I saw that lone one last year and it was pitiful. All of these were in a straight row with zero protection.  This part of mobile is easily 8B. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Keith in SoJax
On June 16, 2016 at 9:27:20 AM, Eric in Orlando said:

 

 

Thats good to hear they took that much cold.

We have one planted outside the front of the main gate here at Leu Gardens. Back in the winter of 2009-10 we had 12 nights below freezing. The coldest night only got to 28-29F but it was below freezing for about 10 hours with a very heavy frost. This one at the gate was about 3-4ft tall then and the most exposed specimen we have. It had no damage. Now it is about 8-9ft tall and very robust and I have been asked many times about the "coconut palm" we have at our entrance!

Eric, the last cold spell into the mid 20's was in 2013-14 winter.  It froze Sea Grapes and Tibouchina to the ground.  The Alfies were OK.  It didn't stay cold for very long.  It will get cold enough here injure, and maybe kill them.  Livistonas should be good.....or I'm moving somewhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matthew92

In our area of southeast Okaloosa county, they have recently been planting trees/plants/palms near some of the state roads and such. I am really happy to see it as there was hardly any beautification on such roads before. Many many many Sabals, lots of Q. virginiana, native grasses, some longleaf pines. Just up the road from me along with a bunch of the Sabals, there was a couple smaller plantings (maybe 12 trees in each one- 10 ft. high) of Livistona (I'm pretty sure nitida)! This is in the most cold area of Florida I've seen such a planting of Livistonas. Eager to see how they do.

Edited by Opal92

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Albey
On 8/31/2015 at 3:35 PM, Tropicdoc said:

I guess I'm ignorant I can't really see the difference in the livistonas. Why should I consider getting a nitida? Help me out here guys. All the pics of the nitida look great btw.

You don't need to get it. You can use decora if you want. I don't know which one i like better as they are both very good choices.

Edited by Albey
needed to add more to the comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...