IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC Next Meeting, Garden of Mardi Darian, Saturday, July 18th

Phil

NEXT MEETING IN VISTA, CALIFORNIA
SATURDAY, JULY 18th, 2015

GARDEN OF DR. MARDI AND CHERI DARIAN

Many members have heard of the famous garden of Mardi Darian and have dreamed of some day visiting it. Exactly five years ago the PSSC did visit his garden and over 250 people attended. Well, now you have another chance to see it. Dr. Darian and his wife Cherie have agreed to host our next meeting. Realize that this opportunity has rarely come along over many decades since he introduced so many rare palms to California. The date is Saturday, July 18th at 11:30 AM. Note that only members of the PSSC will be allowed entrance. Wives and children ten and older can attend with their family Member at no charge. But, if you have let your membership lapse, renew immediately. Or, if you are not a member, join now. This can be done at the gate to the Darian garden the morning of the meeting or on the Net.

A roster of active members will be checked on everyone entering the garden. My suspicion is that, because of Mardi's advancing age, this may be the last time we tour his garden. And, to help him maintain his garden (he's retired on very limited income) we are soliciting totally voluntary donations at the gate and in any amount you wish. This would be used for water and routine garden maintenance and given in its total amount directly to Mardi Darian at the meetings adjournment. It would be each individual's way to thank him for his contributions over the years.

History of the Garden: As many of you are aware, Mardi Darian has been one of the most prominent pioneers of the palms of Madagascar. He has studied them for many decades and has taken numerous trips to Madagascar. Through his persistence and extensive efforts, Mardi has introduced countless species of Malagasy palms into cultivation. Many of these rare species are now growing on his estate and can be seen in their mature form. For approximately fifty years Dr. Darian has been transforming his near ideal location in Vista into one of the premiere tropical palm gardens in the world. The garden's beginning dates back to 1963. Mardi began with 8 months of dynamite and excavation just to get the site right for his garden. At one point, his garden hosted 131 different genera of palms. Not only does this garden feature rare species from Madagascar, but many other genera from around the world can be viewed. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to tour this garden for free!

Date/Time: Saturday, July 18th, general meeting starting at 11:30 AM

Address: 990 Quail Trail Rd, Vista, CA 92081

Attendance Restrictions: As above, only members of the PSSC will be allowed entrance. Spouses are permitted. Children of members who are ten and older will be allowed entrance with mandatory parental guidance and supervision. Younger children and strollers are not allowed. Membership will be checked. No guests allowed other than above without membership. New members may join at the gate: one year membership is $40 by cash or check. Or, to join easily on the Internet, go to: http://palmssc.org/pssc-membership/

Other Restrictions/Requirements: Attendees must stay on the designated pathways. There will be no walking into the planted areas. Seed collection or cuttings are STRICTLY PROHIBITED. The house is off limits to attendees and cannot be entered. A Porta-Pottie will be outside the entrance gates. Please do not drop garbage or refuge in the garden. All members must exit the garden at the end of the meeting. Attendees must wear appropriate shoes for this tour as there are sloped areas and steps. Do not leave designated paths for viewing the garden. We are counting on the integrity of members to follow or enforce these rules of attendance.

Tours: Dr. Darian will be available for talking to Members. Also, plans are to have several guided tours during the meeting.

Meal: Note that there will be NO potluck or food served at this meeting. You should eat prior to your arrival.

Plant Auction: Only Desirable and Unusual Items Please! Members are encouraged to bring smaller palms or unusual plants in the one gallon to maximum five gallon size. An individual or entity is allowed to bring a MAXIMUM OF SIX PLANTS. Larger plants and larger numbers will be turned away at the gate.

Parking: There is limited parking on approaching streets to the estate. Attendees should park outside of the gate to the Darian garden or in any nearby location on the street.

Join the PSSC Right Now! Regular membership is $40 per year and this includes our famous Palm Journal mailed right to your door. Here is the link: http://palmssc.org/pssc-membership/

Itinerary:
10:00 AM; Board of Directors Meeting
11:30 AM: General Meeting begins, garden tours
2:00 PM: Introduction of our hosts, Mardi and Cherie Darian
2:15 PM: General meeting and plant auction
3:15 PM: Meeting adjournment

Directions:
From the West: Take Freeway 5 to Freeway 78 east. Exit at Mar Vista, turning right. Make an immediate left on Thibodo. Turn right on Rolling Hills Rd, then right on Quail Trail to the end of the road.
From the East: Take Freeway 15 to Freeway 78 west. Exit on Sycamore, following signs to Sycamore and turn left on Sycamore. Turn right on Thibodo, left on Rolling Hills Rd, right on Quail Trail.

Questions? Please address all questions to Phil Bergman, phone: 619 291 4605 or email phil@junglemusic.net

post-114-0-23606300-1434911922_thumb.jpg

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

For those of you who may have missed this when it was first published several years ago - or for those unable to visit - here is a link to a Virtual 3D-360º Tour of Mardy Darian's garden.
Don't forget to explore around the property via the pathways by using the flashing embedded links.
http://www.palmpedia.net/Video/DarianRed/tour.html

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Hooray for Dr. Phil!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I plan on being there again... :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Here's an example of the kind of Palm Mardy has at his place.

I also use it as my screen-saver . . . .

Dypsis manajarensis, mealy bug.

post-208-0-79436200-1435109119_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ravenea monticola.

post-208-0-07114800-1435109500_thumb.jpg

its gonna be a great meeting

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I flew out there for the first tour 5 years ago and it was awesome to say the least. I might try and do it again!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I flew out there for the first tour 5 years ago and it was awesome to say the least. I might try and do it again!

Uprated accommodations can be provided here.. :winkie::floor:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

UGH!!! Just found out that my brother will be in Italy for two weeks and at the same dates as the tour. Therefore I will have to stay back at the nursery. With a combine age of 149 years between my other brother and Pops, I just can't leave them here together. Lol. I hate to come back and half the "farm" is gone!

But I thank you Len and Bill for the offers you made to me for your hospitality.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

UGH!!! Just found out that my brother will be in Italy for two weeks and at the same dates as the tour. Therefore I will have to stay back at the nursery. With a combine age of 149 years between my other brother and Pops, I just can't leave them here together. Lol. I hate to come back and half the "farm" is gone!

But I thank you Len and Bill for the offers you made to me for your hospitality.

Dang!!

• 2 weeks later...

Group,

Len Geiger and Bill Sanford will be assisting with tours.

Mardi will be there and available for discussions.

It'll be a great meeting.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Yes!

Group,

Len Geiger and Bill Sanford will be assisting with tours.

Mardi will be there and available for discussions.

It'll be a great meeting.

Phil

Just got back from Mardy's and it was a great meeting including a lot of free water which is great for us in Southern California.

Thanks to everyone that made this happen and special thanks to Mardy & Cherie !

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Group,

I want to thank all of you who attended the meeting. It was an excellent meeting, what with the tropical rain,

the warm weather and lightning! This was totally unexpected. And, the garden, as always, was absolutely beautiful.

We had an estimated #150 attendees, although a formal count is pending.

Announcements were made at the meeting including an upcoming late Fall election of new officers, nice donations to our Society and new members.

A fun auction of rare palms drew a big audience.

Hopefully I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

So Please return.

Phil

I promised a few photos. Too see more, click on my blog - Banner Above at this page for Jungle Music. Lots of pictures posted yesterday.

Phil

post-114-0-65430200-1437503225_thumb.jpgpost-114-0-93394600-1437503275_thumb.jpg

post-114-0-99100100-1437503356_thumb.jpgpost-114-0-71879600-1437503405_thumb.jpg

More pictures of Mardi's garden.

Phil

post-114-0-61401900-1437503969_thumb.jpgpost-114-0-43603400-1437504019_thumb.jpg

In group photo, Mardi has on black T Shirt. I wish to thank Bill Sanford and Len Geiger for being tour guides at the meeting.

post-114-0-44426100-1437504301_thumb.jpgpost-114-0-49209400-1437504185_thumb.jpg

In this first photo below please note the catwalk among the treetops.

post-114-0-46018100-1437504725_thumb.jpgpost-114-0-36759900-1437504679_thumb.jpg

Catwalks? Wow, it's like a mini Nong Nooch.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Thanks Phil, Dave, and others for organizing and making this possible. This was a rare event, and who knows if there will ever be another such opportunity.

There has been a ton of pictures posted in the main forum from the event, below are the threads:

kjVMs4Q.jpg

Edited by Pando

Thanks Phil, Dave, and others for organizing and making this possible. This was a rare event, and who knows if there will ever be another such opportunity.

There has been a ton of pictures posted in the main forum from the event, below are the threads:

kjVMs4Q.jpg

That's me in the middle (plaid shirt) Phil on the left, and Bill Sanford to the right.

kjVMs4Q.jpg

That's me in the middle (plaid shirt) Phil on the left, and Bill Sanford to the right.
and that is me in the green shirt behind Phil, standing next to Brett and Jastin

kjVMs4Q.jpg

and that is me in the green shirt behind Phil, standing next to Brett and Jastin

Caption: Motley Crew

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"