IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Growth Rates Riddle

Cosmo

Years ago I planted 3 container grown Sabals, supposedly all the same but I'm no expert. I buy on looks and they were pretty and sold as hardy for our area. Good enough for me. There was no difference in top growth. Palm #1 the largest was planted in what I would consider an urban environment - between the patio and pool deck. I figured that would serve to restrain the growth being right beside the pool gate. I was wrong, dead wrong. It is the largest and most beautiful of the 3. Palm #2 is nearly the same size, doesn't have to contend with concrete and stone but must compete with a 35+ year old ash tree. Both 1 & 2 receive 4-5 hours of direct sunlight each day. Palm #3 is an orphan. What you see is not much bigger than what it was when it was planted. Receives about 6 hours of sunlight a day. I've given it extra fert, micros and irrigation during the growing season. Palms 1 & 2 are working on their 4th and 3rd spear respectively this year. The orphan hasn't even put one out. There is considerable difference in soil types between palm 1 and the other 2. Palm 1 is in pure black gumbo and the other 2 are in a 25-75 mix of gumbo and broken up caliche with caliche cap rock within about 1' of the surface.

The orphan doesn't look diseased; it just doesn't grow - period. Beyond soil the only other significant difference is that 1 & 2 are planted below decidious trees so receive more direct sunlight during the winter versus #3 that still only receives the 6 hours because of the rose bush behind it.

Any ideas? Is #3 a different palm than 1 & 2 ? Need more pics, closer pics, let me know. I can understand how #1 could be stouter because it doesn't have to deal with the cap rock being so close. But between 2 & 3 the conditions are near identical, except for winter sunlight. My one mature needle palm is bigger than #3.

I think the trunk base gives you great perspective but for height reference, the top of the fence is just an inch or two over 5 feet.

Thanks

post-13680-0-52919200-1434381865_thumb.j

post-13680-0-51047200-1434381881_thumb.j

post-13680-0-05623000-1434381897_thumb.j

post-13680-0-86226800-1434381906_thumb.j

Hard to say, can you post a closer picture of just the largest frond from Palm #3?

Edited by ArchAngeL01

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Hard to say, can you post a closer picture of just the largest frond from Palm #3?

Here you go. These are the only 2 fully emerged fronds out on #3. Third pic is the emerging frond. The spear is firmly fixed. I'm about ready to pull it out and chunk it in the garbage.

post-13680-0-72017500-1434475340_thumb.j

post-13680-0-70508200-1434475348_thumb.j

post-13680-0-16999900-1434475364_thumb.j

Some Sabals are simply faster then others, regardless of the species. All develop a subterranean trunk before they start their thrust upwards. #3 could be a Sabal minor. They all look healthy - nothing to fret about.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

It looks like the same species (Palmetto). I think this one needs more time to establish. Were the roots disturbed during transplanting?

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree with Moose about #3 being a sabal minor

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 2 weeks later...

I planted all three of these S. palmetto in 2007 from a bunch of seed i collected from one plant in NC. They all were grown in pots for 3 years then planted at around the same size. I put a bottle in there for scale, and tried size the pics so they are roughly scaled equivalent to each other. Plants 1&2 are planted about 15 feet apart in almost the same lighting conditions and get 5ish hours of full sun (with plant 2 getting maybe 1 less hour of full sun per day). Plant 2 is also closer to a mature tree. I watered them for the first year, and now maybe give them some water when I might be watering stuff out n that part of the yard. Plant 3 was an experiment planted out in the wooded part of my back yard, and probably gets no direct summer sun or no supplemental water. Variations in site conditions definitely play a role in Sabal growth rates.

post-13669-0-49015700-1436810716_thumb.p