IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What has been your highest Dew Point this Spring ?

Bill H2DB

It ain't the heat , it's the humidity , goes the old saying.

We've had the usual days in the mid 70's so far this Spring , and a few in the upper 70's .

I don't know where you are.but with. dew points like that I'm guessing S Fla

• 3 weeks later...

Highest dew point in Augusta, GA this summer has been 76F and the temperature was 99F I went running....that was a mistake. Palms seem to love it though.

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

The highest dew point I have seen was 77F, when I checked the current weather within the last week sometime. The highest official temperature has been 100F, very unusual. The higher the humidity, the better for my palm collection. I can stay in the ac most of the time. Now if we can just get into a rainy pattern, it will be carefree palm paradise for a while.

DP here usually stay 75-78F along the coast. Ive seen 81F. Very little rain lately. # weeks = 3 rains total less than 3/4"/ yet mostly westerly fetch off almost 90F waters. We need some rain here! We have missed almost all of June's rains. :-(( :bemused:

• Upvote 1

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

we had a day out here where is was almost 100f with a dew point of 0 (ZERO)

humidity has was 1%

your skin starts to crack and start bleeding it is so dry

Edited by trioderob

Feels pretty awesome here! At least that's what my Palms are saying. :)

It feels horrible right now. Im sitting in my truck cooling off in the ac. The thermometer on my truck is reading 107f. The humidity is KILLER right now! It's a "TROPICAL DESERT" right now. Yikes!post-9726-0-53875000-1435694825_thumb.jppost-9726-0-12246600-1435694841_thumb.jp

And it doesn't cool off at night!, I walk out the door in the mornings into a hot sauna.

66 is a pretty cool dewpoint compared to Florida where it is almost always over 70 from about May to October. Your RH is only 30-35%. To me, that's low. Your sweat will cool you off, and a swamp cooler will actually work. Try 93* with dewpoint of 75, fairly common in Florida during the summer. Your sweat doesn't evaporate, and the only way to cool off is a cold shower or a/c. That's why I moved to SoCal--(Escondido, about 20 mi from the coast.) At least it usually gets down to the 60s at night. It gets pretty warm during the day, often mid 90s, but by 8pm it is usually in the 70s and 60-65 by morning. Yes, I'd have rather moved closer to the coast, but alas, I took what was affordable.

Edited by displaced_floridian

I do see where it stays hot all night there, sometimes in the mid to upper 80s. The palms may love it, but would be mighty unpleasant for humans.

66 is a pretty cool dewpoint compared to Florida where it is almost always over 70 from about May to October. Your RH is only 30-35%. To me, that's low. Your sweat will cool you off, and a swamp cooler will actually work. Try 93* with dewpoint of 75, fairly common in Florida during the summer. Your sweat doesn't evaporate, and the only way to cool off is a cold shower or a/c. That's why I moved to SoCal--(Escondido, about 20 mi from the coast.) At least it usually gets down to the 60s at night. It gets pretty warm during the day, often mid 90s, but by 8pm it is usually in the 70s and 60-65 by morning. Yes, I'd have rather moved closer to the coast, but alas, I took what was affordable.

You make it sound like it feels nice here outside right now. :)

I guess humidity levels change through out the day, in the morning humidity was more around 50%. Yesterday was worse - it was Hot, humid, and the sun was blazing! Today we've had alot of cloud coverage.

And I think the worst part is that it just doesn't cool down at night. It was 93f at 4am last night or the night before that.

106 right now with 19% humidity.....not very comfortable......

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Displaced_floridian has the right idea.. here in FL, once daily dew point readings reach the 70F threshold, the heat is pretty brutal, especially if you are working out in it every day. While 95 - 100F would be tolerably hot back in San Jose.. here, forget it.. Even a cool shower doesn't really cool you down since you start gushing sweat as soon as you walk back outside. Humidity here is like a thick, steamy down comforter that never allows you to cool down much, no matter how much water you drink.

Another difference is while there are plenty of days out west when influxes of Monsoonal moisture will bring episodes of high humidity/dew points, there are also many days when things dry out and you get a break. Being surrounded by water that, at least locally, is currently hovering around 90F forget much relief on those uncommon days some drier air slips in.

100 with 25% humidity isn't bad, can't say the same for 105F + an 88F dew point. More than ready for the Desert.

-Nathan

Weather station says the dew Point has been 74-78 for the past few weeks here in DFW with the temps in the low to mid 90's. The temperature has been much lower than in recent years, but the humidity has been significantly higher with all of the rain the last few months.

That's true, we do catch breaks during our summers humidity. I can think if a few times that it felt like you can barely breathe when stepping out the door due to high heat and humidity, usually happens when a heat wave comes right after a monsoonal rain. and I can only imagine that thats what it feels like in other places with more humidity. I think Phoenix Az. gets more humidity than here, with similar highs?

Highest dewpoint so far has been 80 F.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

The dew point in Manaus today is forecast at 73 F. That is pretty much normal for most of the year here. We are now shifting full force into the Amazonian Summer or dry season.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly dew points have been highest around dawn usually between 73 and 78. We had a light shower today at 2pm, about .03 inches and the sun came right back out. The temperature was 93F and the humidity was 74% yielding a dew point of 84, albeit briefly.

Dew point calculator

Ed in Houston

• 2 weeks later...

I love humidity. It's easier for me to do yard work in it than in dry heat. (I'm going to get sweaty as nd gross either way, but it's easier for me to breathe in the humidity.) The only time I can't handle the humidity is when it's coupled with climbing. 10 years ago I hiked up a steep ancient staircase in Cambodia, and it felt like 100 degrees with 99% humidity. Prior to that, I'd always associated humidity with flatlands (like Florida).

Here in Malta it is humid due to being a small Island, but this summer it is even more humid than normal due to high sea temperatures. I live right by the sea & I have recorded a dew point as high as 29C/84F on one day, it really does feel like a sauna here at the moment but my palms are loving it, even if I'm not...

Malta - USDA Zone 11a