IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm ID please

feef706

I just bought this palm from the local walmart it was labled a CIDP? After I got it home and compared it to my smaller canary it doesnt seem to be as green. Also the local lowes got some canarys in and they are about equivilant in size but  theirs had alot more old leaf bases and the werent the yellowish gold that some of mine are. I was wondering if its possible maybe its a p. sylvestris? Thanks James

CIMG0795.jpg

CIMG0800.jpg

Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Zone 9a, 2 blocks from the Bay, 1.5 miles from the Gulf of Mexico

No where near frost free.. But hopefully someday when I move further south..

07/08 Extreme Low 24.9F

CIMG0801.jpg

CIMG0802.jpg

07/08 Extreme Low 24.9F

I also have a picture I am of a Phoenix in which I am not sure if it  is a canary or true date palm. I have tried to post it but am having trouble resizing it. Can I email it to someone to post for me? Let me know where to email. Thanks.

Looks very similar to my sylvestris.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

hi Feef,

I have this some variety in madras (S.India) and it is 12 feet tall now and is 8 years old.all phoenix avaliable in india is what you have in the container. this is not canary island date palm iam 100 % sure. this tree does not provide edible date.since in my garden it had fruited thrice for the past 3 years.

the trunk is normal sized & less maintanence is needed. very fast grower.and it does not clump or cluster.propagation only by seed. if you love CIDP then, i hope you dont plant it on the ground.keep him in bigger container itself.

the name of your palm is Phoenix Loureii.

to see this visit http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/shop/PhoHum.shtml

for first hand information.

because in india this is a very common Phoenix Sp.

we rather like the big brother CIDP and iam now growing some from seeds.

One man one tree..

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

That palm is definitely not pure CIDP at least.  It easily could be a hybrid (I'd guess canariensis x dactylifera).  With cultivated Phoenix, I don't think there is any way to know absolutely for certain what they actually are (pure species or hybrid).

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

James,

Without being there in person, it can be really hard to identify a palm, especially the genus Phoenix. My best guess would be.....P. sylvestris, because it appears to be silver on the undersides of the leaves, which is typical of that species.  P. canariensis is all green. Plus, there are many growers that now grow P. sylv. and it would not surprise me if some nursery has mixed them up. And remember, there's alot of hybrids within this genus, to really confuse us.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for all the input. I had a feeling before I bought it that it wasnt a CIDP.. The trunk doesnt seem as messy for sure, the CIDP that I have seen have some pretty spiny looking trunks. Next question is would the p. sylvestris be as hardy as the CIDP? I live in zone 8b and i have seen plenty of CIDP doing well here. Also I paid $200 for the plant in a 25 gallon pot, does that sound about right? I thought it was a decent deal as the CIDP I saw at lowes were a bit smaller and were selling for $300. Thanks again for everything, James

07/08 Extreme Low 24.9F

(palmsrgreat @ Jul. 21 2006,09:20)

I also have a picture I am of a Phoenix in which I am not sure if it  is a canary or true date palm. I have tried to post it but am having trouble resizing it. Can I email it to someone to post for me? Let me know where to email. Thanks.

Here you go:000_0001.jpg

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

That Cannary will not sing in tune! Pure it is not! Then again it is hard to find any Phoenix that is pure. Been a long time since the first Phoenix had sex with another specie and it has happened MANY times since then! I would guess that it has been going on at least 180,000 years. They have tasted good for a long time.

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

(palmsrgreat @ Jul. 21 2006,09:20)

I resized his pic and am posting for this guy. I'm not a Phoenix guy, but looks like CIDP to me.

post-11-1153513703_thumb.jpg

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

the picture in post no 13 is definately canary island date palm,but how far its pure as Ken Johnson puts it on inter species getting crossed and forming hybrids.will be known only when its 10 to 12 feet tall.since all the matured features and true colors become visible.

Dypsis Dean iam sure you have rightly identified the picture in post no 13 and your picture enlargement would have helped all our members to view this palm clearly.

One man one tree

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

looks like its gonna be a tight squeeze there in a few years, you do know that the trunks on a cidp get a little bigger than the space you have provided for it!!!

I am just going by your picture ,the space/perspective could be off....

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Well this is where it was planted when we moved into the house.

There is about 20.5" between the edge rock border of the pool and the largest trimmed frond closest to the ground. The other side of the bed is wide open. The diameter is about 24" of the tree at this time. and the trunk measure 16" high at this moment. Hopefully that should be enough room.

Phoenix sylvestris

Orange boots

Silver/blue coloration of fronds

Shorter/thinner spines than canariensis

Smaller head than canariensis

Overall more compact form

May not be 100% true but it looks close