Sign in to follow this  
Pal Meir

Serra da Estrela: Palms ID Wanted!

Pal Meir

I found in photos of the habitat of Lytocaryum weddellianum two palms which I can not identify though I have some guesses. These photos were taken by M. Britto in 2012 in Serra da Estrela of Rio de Janeiro state, Brazil. I add to the photo details showing the palms in question the links to the original photos.

(1) http://www.panoramio.com/photo/68837344

post-10467-0-74162700-1433977061_thumb.j

(2) http://www.panoramio.com/photo/68837562

post-10467-0-56136100-1433977087_thumb.j

Alberto

The photos are not clear but the first palm palm looks like a Geonoma (Euterpe?) and the 2nd somewhat to a young Astrocaryum.

• Upvote 1

Pal Meir

The photos are not clear but the first palm palm looks like a Geonoma (Euterpe?) and the 2nd somewhat to a young Astrocaryum.

Multo obrigado, I think you are correct.

I also guessed that the 1st palm might be a Geonoma schottiana, though the leaves look very Euterpe like. But an Euterpe (here only: edulis) it can’t be, because of the missing crown shaft. (The photo was taken on an altitude of 950 m.)

If the 2nd palm is an Astrocaryum, then it has to be – according to Lorenzi et al. 2004 – an A. aculeatissimum, the only A. ocurring naturally in RJ. As this plant on the photo (at 700 m) was still young I couldn’t identify it. The photos in my palm books show only large adult plants.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Gileno Machado
      By Gileno Machado
      Last week we made a quick exploiting visit to a small Atlantic Forest reserve in Pernambuco, Northeast Brazil with some local guides, in search of eventually new and also existing palm species. This area, located near the city of Ribeirão, belongs to an old sugarcane mill and is one of the few remaining parts of the original forest, among sugarcane plantations.
      During the visit, we were very lucky to find a few young and grown up specimens of the elusive Bactris pickelli palm, rarely seen in the area. This small palm thrives in dark areas of forest floor, graciously showing off its shiny leaves and has a particular characteristic of velvet underleaves, sensible to the touch.
      Here are a few photos taken in habitat:

• Pal Meir
      By Pal Meir
      I just found this info when searching for »Syagrus itapebiensis«. Does this mean that there is a second habitat of Lytocaryum itapebiense in Nordeste/BA? The first one in Itapebi/BA seems to be destroyed.

Source:

• Kim
      By Kim
      Travel to the heart of Brazil with Director Julie C. Malzoni for some surprising palm habitat.
      See the new smart palms of Dubai!

Follow the link below:

http://online.flipbuilder.com/IPS/dmad/
    • Pal Meir
      By Pal Meir
      Hello all Lytocaryum fans,

since a couple of years I am looking for photos of Lytocaryum palms showing them in their natural habitat. According to Noblick & Lorenzi (2010) there are 4 species of Lytocaryum: L. hoehnei, L. insigne, L. weddellianum, and L. itapebiense. The locations oft their known natural habitats in SE Brazil are from north to south as following:

L. itapebiense
      Bahia: Itapebi

L. insigne
      Espírito Santo: Santa Teresa; Santa Leopoldina; Vargem Alta
      Rio de Janeiro: (Nova Friburgo;) Teresópolis

L. weddellianum
      Rio de Janeiro: (Macaé Petrópolis; Magé

L. hoehnei
      São Paulo: São Paulo; …
      Paraná: Tunas do Paraná; …

I have found some good photos on GoogleEarth / Panoramio showing only 2 species of these palms in their habitat, e.g.:

L. weddellianum
      Petrópolis at 910 m: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/68837292
      Magé at 750 m: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/68354859

L. insigne
      Santa Leopoldina at 510 m: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/111283264

If you know other links to photos of Lytocaryum or if you have your own photos of Lytocaryum in habitat all Lytocaryum fans would be very happy when you post them here at PalmTalk with informations concerning the locations.
    • Paco
      By Paco
      Dear Palm Talk Members,

not many of you know me personally, I am a Spanish landscape architect living and working in Rio de Janeiro (yes,I know how lucky I am). I became a Palmtalk forum member a few years ago when I became IPS member and I was still in university. I haven´t been very active in the forum since a while ago, but I always check what´s going on around here.

Despite the fact that I´m not that active in the forum, I am active in the palm world. I have worked as a landscape architect for the restoration project of the Palmetum de Santa Cruz de Tenerife in Spain, along with my good friend Carlo Morici and other experts and professionals in the area from all over the world.

I recently started working in the “Prefeitura da Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro” to be exact working as a landscape architect within the planning department of the University City Hall.

I am texting here today because I am in a mission. I am enrolled at the moment in the new master-planning project for the whole university campus, which is a 100 Hectares Island at Rio´s Guanabara bay. The master-planning project involves most of the campus grounds, gardens and interior patios and courtyards (many of them designed originally by the master Roberto Burle Marx in the 1950s).

As Roberto would have done, most of the new planting mainly in the big areas will consist in native species, nonetheless always paying attention to the outstanding aesthetic and horticultural qualities of some exotic species. The exotic species will be mainly used on patios and courtyards.

This is a call for donation of seeds/seedlings of potential species to introduce in the university campus. We have our own nursery with a decently qualified team of plant producers and gardeners that under supervision will have success taking those seeds and seedlings into the ground one day not too far away.

I will like to express the importance that a simple change into the “standard way of planning” has got. The standard way will be to plan and plant the available stuff right here, but I will like to take this a little further. The University could have a great impact in the new generation of biologist, ecologist, landscape architects and urban planners from Rio the Janeiro and the whole country. By improving the botanic diversity on the campus they will have a broader vision and knowledge in the use of plant material, for ecosystem regeneration as well as urban landscape planning.

As I said we are interested mainly in native species (not that easy to find as it might seem here in Brazil), as well as non native species with potential in Rio. We are collaborating with the botanical garden of Rio de Janeiro as well as the Sitio Roberto Burle Marx, but they have limitations and there is nothing like a community of experts and palm lovers to provide with the good stuff.

I will happily provide by private message with the university postal address. I will also answer here any question you might have.

The donations will go straight away to the University, the seeds will not be used for any lucrative purpose.

These are Palm species that we have got already:

Roystonea regia
      Roystonea oleracea
      Dypsis lutescens
      Dictyosperma álbum
      Caryota urens
      Pritchardia pacifica
      Acrocomia aculeata
      Attalea (need ID, anyone?)

Pictures of some of the Tech.Faculty patios to be restored:

Not a palm but, has anyone got seeds of Bursera simaruba?

Muito obrigado galera!!
      Best regards,

Paco Álvarez