IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Materials Need For Germination..

Kris

Presenting to you: Sabal Palmetto :) I soaked three seeds for 3 days, changing water daily. Placed them in mix of compost, coco peat and some perlite. 1/3 germinated in about one month:

chyba_palma.jpgth_sabal3.jpg th_sabal4.jpg

• Upvote 1
http://palmiarnia.info - Polish website about hardy palms and more!

Greetings guys :)

I really love this thread of yours Kris - great job! I envy that your country is much much hotter than mine :winkie: I live in a zone 6a, so that's gonna be a challenge for me to keep my plants alive during winter.

Will try to post some pics of my home germinated species. Unfortunately I have no photos of seeds in bags, but hope that's no problem for you guys.

Best Regards

Dear Marcel :)

Thanks for those sweet comments and iam very glad that you visited our thread and also very happy you have added some lovely stills to this thread.And i must clear one doubt here is that anything palm seeds germination related information is always welcome here.And it need not be only germination related to ziploc method or baggie bag method.You see here ziploc method because i use that method,and seems to be much easier for small operation.(hobby).But if you are using some other method or something new,we will be more happy to see those visuals too.And i believe that knowledge has to be shared amoung like minded people.So always feel free to upload images,illustrations & information pertaining to palm seeds/and its germination technicks.

And dear Marcel i wish to see more of your interaction both in this thread & in the main discussion board.And a very warm welcome to you my friend ! :)

Thanks & Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

You are still hard at work I see.

There should be allot of palms in your area with all the gifts you have given.

Keep it up! You are an encouragement to everyone on here. I'm sure.

And by the way I love coffee I don't see why the palms wouldn't. :winkie:

Dear Mike :)

Thanks very much !

Lots of love to you,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Kai :)

Welcome back my friend,it has been a while that we saw your participation in our thread.But i cannot complain either... :mrlooney: Since you are back with more visuals of your work & iam happy! Whenever this thread goes dry without new visuals,you bring in the much need life into this thread_Thanks very much !

And iam reminded of the saying "With a single hand you cannot clap" :hmm:

keep up the good work :greenthumb:

Lots of love to you,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thank you Kris for your words of encouragement :)

So, here I am again with Washingtonia Filifera x Robusta hybrid. Germinated in 5 weeks after placing in peat & sand & perlite mix in a small pot, covered with a plastic bag. Temperature was about 77F/25C, lower at nights.

th_W_Filibusta.jpg<--- There it is th_filibusta4.jpg<---8 days later th_filibusta8.jpg<---1.5months later

Cheers

M.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the illustrations..And wish to see your interaction in this thread with more visuals ! :) And by the way good work ! :greenthumb:

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Once again I'm very happy. The seeds I ordered have arrived. Here are some pics:

Orania longisquama, Parajubaea cocoides, Syagrus cocoides (ordered 10 and got 14, one had already germinated), Syagrus cocoides potted up.

post-1050-1248446075_thumb.jpg

post-1050-1248446240_thumb.jpg

post-1050-1248446284_thumb.jpg

post-1050-1248446377_thumb.jpg

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Some more:

Polyandrococos caudescens (Allagoptera), Mauritia flexuosa and Verschaffeltia splendida (some of the most awsome seeds I've ever seen!)

All seeds are now soaking in a nitrozyme solution, as this stuff is said to speed up and improve the germination rate.

In 1 or 2 days all seeds will go into ziplock bags with neem coir and wil be placed in a warm spot (except for the Parajubaea's, they should germinate at room temperature).

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers!

post-1050-1248446463_thumb.jpg

post-1050-1248446490_thumb.jpg

post-1050-1248446527_thumb.jpg

post-1050-1248446579_thumb.jpg

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 3 weeks later...
Some more:

Polyandrococos caudescens (Allagoptera), Mauritia flexuosa and Verschaffeltia splendida (some of the most awsome seeds I've ever seen!)

All seeds are now soaking in a nitrozyme solution, as this stuff is said to speed up and improve the germination rate.

In 1 or 2 days all seeds will go into ziplock bags with neem coir and wil be placed in a warm spot (except for the Parajubaea's, they should germinate at room temperature).

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers!

Kai,

You have some intersting palms there. What are you planning on doing with them as they grow?

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Some very useful & interesting information on palm seeds germination technicks,I see that John in Andalucia has contributed fentastic illustration showing how to accelerate palm seeds germination through his 2 wonderful threads...hope you all visit & be benefitted ! :winkie:

1) "Tickling the embryo"

2) Germinating 'old' palm seeds

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Trachycarpus wagnerianus germination in a small plastic sealed box, filled with moist cocopeat. Temperature: about 68 ºF. Sprayed with water from time to time. 3 out of 10 seeds germinated in 3.5 weeks:

wagnerianus_kielk1.jpg <--- there it is! a small Waggie

wagnerianus_kielk2.jpg <--- I can see a leaf growing :)

wagnerianus_kielk3.jpg <--- first leaf is growing bigger, yay ;)

• Upvote 1

Great work ! :greenthumb: And lovely stills...And iam very glad you took the time to upload those nice germination stills in this thread.And that too big size stills ! :drool:

If you and others have such beautiful germination stills kindly feel free to upload here,so that it would be useful for new members & new palm seed germinators..

Thanks & Love,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 months later...

Dear Scott :)

Wish you all the best and hope to see some stills of your work and some articles on who you accomplised it.I will be very happy if you post those germination stills here..:)

Thanks & Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Phoenix Loureiri x Canariensis seeds germination tips :-

11 out of 16 in 12 days gotta love it: drool:

Hi Kris, After soaking seeds for 3 days I put them in baggies with coconut coir,then placed them on top of my water heater,12 days later we have success:) :)

post-108-1267712797736_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hello again :)

Trachycarpus NainiTal germination. Seeds were soaked in a warm water for 2 days, water changed daily and put in a sealed plastic box, filled with moist coco peat mixed with perlite. Temperature was about 68-75F. So far 7 out of 20 germinated in 3.5 weeks. Here are the visuals:

naini_nasiona1.jpgnaini_nasiona2.jpg

naini2.jpgnaini3.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks for those big sized visuals & details..:winkie:

Great work ! :greenthumb:

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Once i have two sprouted cunninghamiana seeds, and once i am not an expert on seeds germinating, do not know if seeds must remain closed, in germinating box, and with or without direct sunlight.