IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Materials Need For Germination..

Kris

Lemurophoenix Seeds Germination stills_courtesy Jason in Orlando

looking at the stills,its clear that Lemurophoenix seeds can be germinated using Zip-loc bags.and i have been a strong advocater of the baggie method used in seeds germination process !

The seed seen in the still below took Jason around 3 months to germinate...

post-108-1217570146_thumb.jpg

Here is a still of that baby after 5 months..And he has used human hair to cover the top soil of this pot,this was supposed to discourage squrieals from damaging the young palm sapling...very innovative idea :greenthumb:

post-108-1217570419_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thanks for all the photos Kris! I ended up having good success with most of the seeds I was asking about before (I now have more T. radiata than I know what to do with) so thank you for all your help! Unfortunately I was bad and never remembered to take photos, maybe I'll get some soon before I have to leave my seedlings to fend for themselves while I am back at school. One quick thing I noticed (I dont know if this is significant or not) but after my Bismarkia seeds had germinated I put them in a container that was about 9 inches deep and in a couple of weeks I saw the root trying to come out the bottom but no signs of a leaf while the ones I had put in the ground already had leaves. I transferred it to a larger 5 gallon pot and within a weeks time I had a leaf emerge. I dont know if this was because it wanted a deeper pot or something but I thought it was interesting. One question Kris (or anyone else who can answer it), how long is your germination time for Syagrus seeds?

Krishna

• Upvote 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Never mind about the last question, I found the answer earlier in this thread.

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Dear Friends,

Recently i came across a lovely thread on the grouth rate of Queen Palm (syagrus romanzoffiana) started by our member_Pivi And there another member by name pindo had given progressive stills on the grouth rate of this variety of queen palm,starting from the seed germination to field grown mature specimens in reference to the time they have taken to grow.

1) Seed Germination :

post-108-1217833252_thumb.jpg

2) 15 to 30 days after seed germination :

post-108-1217833382_thumb.jpg

3) After 150 Days :

post-108-1217833508_thumb.jpg

post-108-1217833551_thumb.jpg

At this stage itself we can see the root system fairly well developed !

post-108-1217833601_thumb.jpg

4) After 12 months or 1 Year :

post-108-1217833764_thumb.jpg

5) After 23 months or nearly 2 years later :

post-108-1217833859_thumb.jpg

Same period,but grown with lots of sunlight :

post-108-1217834096_thumb.jpg

6) 40 months later,field grown :

post-108-1217834190_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Continued...

7) After 52 months :

post-108-1217834631_thumb.jpg

post-108-1217834660_thumb.jpg

8) These are around 6 to 7 years old,Field grown :

post-108-1217834752_thumb.jpg

post-108-1217834782_thumb.jpg

9) And these lovely queens,which are around 7 years old are waiting to be shipped to its prospective buyers..

post-108-1217834936_thumb.jpg

---------------------------

10) When these buties are placed in your garden this how it looks...By the way the following still courtesy_Dave from So-Cal

post-108-1217835241_thumb.jpg

I hope you all loved the stage by stage visuals,and my special thanks to Jose(pindo) & Dave(from so-cal) for their lovely stills of the queen palms.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Since this month one of our respected member,is issuing free Brahea armataseeds to our members ! And my friend Freakypalmguy (Matt) is very kind enough to share his germination skills of these palm seeds with us.

Here is my experience germinating B. armata for anyone interested. I hand picked a bunch a few months back and placed them in a plastic tub with moist Sunshine Mix #4 with the lid on placed in my greenhouse. Temps ranged from 60F to 105F and mine started germinating within six weeks. I had to take the lid off as they grew quickly into the lid.

Good luck all with your germination

Matt

love conquers all..

43278.gif

This thread is awesome Kris!

You sure have put a lot of work into it.

Good on you, your dedication inspires me!

I'll have to post some pics of the CIDP's growing around my region, some were planted before the 1880's, I know you have a bit of a fetish for thick trucked palms!

Cheers,

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Regards Nathan

• Upvote 1

Nelson, NEW ZEALAND

Sheltered micro-climate

Min -2C, Max 34C

Latitude 41 Degrees South

Warm temperate climate, with over 2500 hours of sunshine per year.

Dear Nathan :)

thanks for your sweet comments,that's really encouraging....

love,

Kris :)

Today lets see some of my local palmera seeds germination using washed river sand and a large sized cement pot.And this palm's botanical name is Borassus Flabellifer.i have seen many of our members try to grow this lovely fan palm using their knowledge & expertise to germinate this seed.

but these grow like weeds in south india.so all i had to do is to clean this seed and placed it in a cement pot and let this seed to germinate in a natural way,allowing mother nature do her part ! whenever the pot went dry i used to water it gently,these seeds were subject to outdoor sunlight and rainfall.so shade cloth or protection was not given to these seeds.

Last year september'07 end i placed these seeds and in 2 to 3 months it germinated but the sprouts were only visible during the month of january end or feburary'08 of this year.but i did not do anything other than regular watering..

here are the visuals of that work,hope you all enjoy it !

post-108-1220337347_thumb.jpg

post-108-1220337384_thumb.jpg

post-108-1220337414_thumb.jpg

post-108-1220337453_thumb.jpg

post-108-1220337492_thumb.jpg

post-108-1220337517_thumb.jpg

post-108-1220337548_thumb.jpg

post-108-1220337586_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Fantastic effort Kris , i am just begining to germinate my own palms and hold your info in high regard !

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Dear Troy :)

thanks for visiting and will be very happy to see palm seeds germination stills & some notes in this very thread from you and other members.since it will be more of a feedback as how you improvise your seed germination method !

And recently i came across 2 lovely links on palm seeds germination...

1) Link

2) Link

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Kentiopsis oliviformis germination A nice thread started by my friend _ Big50

Here i have extracted some useful text information and stills from that thread...

I have some seeds and wanted to know your experience with this kind of germination?

Best regards.

Now lets see how this palm tree actually looks like..?

post-108-1221981583_thumb.jpg

Here is a still while flowering..

post-108-1221981643_thumb.jpg

Here is a still of some ripe fruits..

post-108-1221981694_thumb.jpg

Here is a still of some seeds germinating !

post-108-1221981837_thumb.jpg

Now lets see what our members have to tell on their experiences regarding its germination :

My Kentiopsis seeds took about 6 months to germinate.

I just used normal potting soil. Remember that our low temperature during the summer is 81F.

It is the constant heat that provides for good germination. I think I sowed 20 seeds and got 18 germinated.

Just received some seeds and had 150 of 500 germinate in 2 weeks....I'll get you a pic this evening.....fresh seeds are the key!

Here are some seedling, from 4-5 weeks old seeds, just pulled out of my hot house which is a stable 89ff and sees some 105f days the community pots are made up of in a 33% sand, 33% perlite and 33% soil. I remove the seedling when they break their shell, and plant them in bands.

Since week 2,I've harvest about 50 a week.

Note:- All the above information furnished in this thread belongs to the respective members.And in case you want to see the main thread itself.then visit the link provided in the top of this post to proceed !

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 1 month later...

Kris,

While googling for germination tips of Corypha seeds, I came across an article "Growing Buri" on the website of the University of Waikato in New Zealand, which spells out the "RECOMMENDED PROCEDURE FOR THE RAPID GERMINATION OF BURI".

Here is the link:

http://nzdl.sadl.uleth.ca/cgi-bin/library?...ae826f6d2355.14

Another article "Seed treatement for better and faster germination" states that with pre-treatment, the days to germination was only 14-30 days compared to 70-80 days without pre-treatment.

Here is the link:

http://nzdl.sadl.uleth.ca/cgi-bin/library?...e25c95ecb8fe.10

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

Dear George :)

Thanks for those fentastic links...And iam very glad you contributed that information to our material needed for germination thread ! :greenthumb:

And iam also happy that you have taken this thread seriously...since this thread was created purely for new tryers of seed germinators & non proffesional palm growers.

Thanks very much,

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear George :)

Thanks for those fentastic links...And iam very glad you contributed that information to our material needed for germination thread ! :greenthumb:

And iam also happy that you have taken this thread seriously...since this thread was created purely for new tryers of seed germinators & non proffesional palm growers.

Thanks very much,

Lots of love,

Kris,

You're welcome! It is my pleasure to contribute and be a part of your very informative thread. :)

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

• 1 month later...

Today lets see notes on 'Jubaea Chilensis' seeds germination..

if you like to see how this palm looks like here are some lovely links !

Jubaea chilensis

Jubaea chilensis (Blue)

And my sincere thanks to our member HKO2008 (Henri) for sharing information & has given details about the following links in another germination thread..

The best guidelines i could find are :-

jubaea germination 1

jubaea germination 2

jubaea germination 3

Jubaea can take some time to germinate, so maybe i could add patience to the list.

Germinating Jubaea chilensis (The "Baggy" Method)

One source reports Jubaea chilensis germinated after 3 weeks. All he did was he packed it in a plastic bag with perlite, poked a few holes in the sack and had them virtually fry on his dashboard during the day in about 130 deg F. During the night he took them inside (A/C) about 70 to 80F. And all this every day. - Seems like temperature variation is the key here rather than the level of the average temperature. We try to imitate the natural environment here.

Greetings,

Henri

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hai friends :)

lets have some visuals of some of the recent germination work,like always the seeds were from brother M@x.The visuals are themselves self explinatory and need no,my intervention in it.And i have germinated those seeds just using our room temperature.And temperatures here are always 84 to 86 degree farenheat during this germination period for the following varities seen here..And other details are written on those baggie bags itself,so watch out for that in each stills.

98284a18.jpg

c38a3c68.jpg

bd8c09b1.jpg

8c0146ed.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And those seeds that are yet to germinate are reused in the same medium like this..But a new baggie bag is used ! :)

715bb277.jpg

bf302dc3.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris, my Butia capitata " nana" (dwarf) seeds, are still sleeping!!

I shipped these seeds all around world, and you seem the first to obtain a germination from they !!! Grat job!!

Now, i will check mine ,maybe they are jealous, and start to germinate like yours :lol:

best M@x

• Upvote 1

M@x

North Rome Italy

Kris, my Butia capitata " nana" (dwarf) seeds, are still sleeping!!

I shipped these seeds all around world, and you seem the first to obtain a germination from they !!! Grat job!!

Now, i will check mine ,maybe they are jealous, and start to germinate like yours :lol:

best M@x

Dear Brother :)

Nice to hear from you...And the reason for your seeds doing well here is due to your love which has come along with those seeds,inspite they have travelled so far.. :) i think the butias seeds respond well to our climate but the butia capitia sapling that you sent me a year ago is not growing at all but looks very healthy but no new grouth ? are butias slow growing species...?

Okay lets see some more germination stills of the seeds that you have sent me... :)

100e9246.jpg

d9b7ab13.jpg

377527d8.jpg

those which did not germinate fully are reused onceagain !

a14bc24b.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Brother M@x :)

Even these seeds did preety well. :) And are these S.Black Burina too,heavy trunking type like the SRS(Sabal Riverside) ? :hmm:

05989f04.jpg

155712e6.jpg

a648c40f.jpg

d4ca8c74.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Brother M@x :)

Look at these seeds you sent me,i think i got more than 96 to 98% germination rate for this specie.. :greenthumb: Even the reused seeds of these palms did germinate after 2 to 3 weeks later...And here are the visuals of those ! :)

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here are some visuals of seeds germination,these seeds were sent to me,by one of my very close forum friend 'Dave from So-Cal' :)And i would call him as a friend in need is a friend indeed ! :winkie:

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Recently i have improvised some new technicks,one is that i reduced the germinating medium so that the roots do not damp-off so easily.and the baggie bags instead of standing vertically,i have placed them horizontially...i will let you know how this works ! :)

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Cont..

Some seeds are sleeping,these were later put in a new baggie bag and taken & placed in the germination room !

IMG_0090-1.jpg

IMG_0091-1.jpg

Here is a still of the reused seeds...

IMG_0092-1.jpg

Now these young sprouts were taken indoors in a cardboard box,just to safe guard them from notorious squrrieal attack.. :blink:

IMG_0093-1.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 1 month later...

Wish you all a happy new year & shall we move on with the visuals... :hmm::lol:

By the way some information for those who are visiting this thread for the first time and are joining this thread from the middle :

i germinate seeds mostly using the baggie bag or the zip loc plastic bags,using gently moisted coco pete or coir dust.and the germination process takes place in a ordinary room with no bottom heat or using any external power heating systems.that is these seeds are subject to normal room temperatures,which ranges from 78 to 92 degrees farenheat.And to my knowledge most seeds have germinated when the temperatures are around 84 to 86 degrees farenheat.and the time they take is roughly around 3 to 4 months.and most of the seeds are fresh which were gifts from our members ! :)

The following seeds were from brother M@x.

IMG_1601.jpg

This time i tried to put the palm young saplings into a terracotta pot since many have recommanded that for hot tropics earthern ware materials suit better and it helps to keep the young palm's feet(Roots)cool,and damp-off is also minimal when compared to a plastic containers..And i had some pots readily at my disposal and once the palms all grow big & full for the pots anytime this pot could be broke open like a egg.. :)

IMG_1606.jpg

Now the rest of the seeds are reused and placed in that germinating room ! :mrlooney:

IMG_1604.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

All the following germination stills,the seeds were from brother M@x... :)

And in case if you find some varities being repeated in the following stills are beacuse,i do not use heating pads for seeds germination so the germination is bit random.i.e one or two seeds germinating every 2 to 3 weeks.and it give me some breathing time to arrange for the repotting work !

And here are the visuals ! :winkie:

IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Cont..

Now the rest of the seeds are reused and this new ziploc bag is once again sent to the germination room..

IMG_1766.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---> New Topic

IMG_1767.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

the roots were all intermingled and was bit difficult to untangle,so i used the socking method,for around 3 minutes i dipped the young saplings in well water..

IMG_1769.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Cont...

Now i allowed the socked palm saplings to air dry for about a minute,before trying to untangle them,and i must say it worked like a charm.. :)

IMG_1770.jpg

You can see the results ! :hmm:

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1772.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif