IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Materials Need For Germination..

Kris

cont..here you can see the bottled butia x jubea baby and the next still is of the non-germinated seeds,once again put in the same germinating medium and is reused.who knows in a week or months time those sleeping seeds might also awaken..! Hope is what keeps life going ? :hmm::D

Love,

Kris :)

post-108-1209454416_thumb.jpg

post-108-1209454452_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

lets seen again the seeds germination of Copernica Alba gift seeds from Joseph...

which was reused.i.e late awakers.these guys were sleeping in the first batch were potted.the reason might be i do not use any bottom heat so the seeds germinate as they like.. :lol:

post-108-1209454988_thumb.jpg

post-108-1209455009_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Conti..

Now the ziploc bag is taken to our operation theater i.e(our roof top garden) !

here is a still of that..and the second still is taken after the opening cermony.. :rolleyes:

post-108-1209455310_thumb.jpg

post-108-1209455334_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Conti...

this is the still taken after bottling these copernica alba seedlings..

love,

post-108-1209455475_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here is a still of the Zebra Fishtail Palm seed germination !

post-108-1209742076_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And this time around during my transfering the young sprouts into mineral water bottles,for a change i used a plastic tumbler of a smaller size just to see..if this method give me more seedlings survival rate..i.e less of damp-off symptoms !

post-108-1209742359_thumb.jpg

post-108-1209742381_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now lets see what are the varities that i tried by using the above small plastic tumblers.. :hmm: Butia Compacta seeds courtesy_M@x.

post-108-1209742631_thumb.jpg

post-108-1209742709_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

the coir dust seen here is being reused for the rest of the non-germinated seeds..since i do not use external heat assistance..the seeds sprout as they wish as are in singles.which gives me time to prepare for this kind of photo session of how i do my work here ! though not very sophisticated but does my job of getting those imported seeds germinated... :) And the following still you can see that little young palm sapling placed in that plastic tumbler ! And i have written

the name of the palm using 2 paint pen to see which on last better(Trial) black & white..

post-108-1209742925_thumb.jpg

post-108-1209743156_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

More great pics, Kris....thanks for those.

I really like the way you recycle various containers, too

A question, and sorry if you have gone into detail before, but how do you put holes in the clear plastic bottles? I have been melting them with a soldering iron since they tear if i drill them.....do you have a tried and true way?

Thanks

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Here is the still of the same saplings but the view you are seeing is the opposite side,with markings done in white coloured paint pen !

And dear Rusty _ even i use heat.but its a red hot metal nail,heated using our kitchen gas stove.once heated i can put holes in about 4 plastic bottles.with 4 to 5 holes in each one of them.and never try to drill using any machine as you have pointed out it will damage the shape and chances are their that one could hurt or damage the table if the running machine slips over.

love,

post-108-1209743276_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Copernica Hospita germinated seed,i have even put this young one in the same plastic tumbler... :hmm:

post-108-1209743748_thumb.jpg

post-108-1209743796_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thanks a lot for the tip, Kris! :)

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Hello Friends :)

Recently my friend E.mailed me to show his work on Palmyra Palm seeds germination...iam a person who wish to share any information pertaining to seeds germination with you all,so i thought i will post a link for you all to see

the progress of the his work on the Borassus.

The Link !

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I followed the link Kris........WOW! alot of work that guy is going through. Like you said, I think these Borassus are alot tougher than people think. Mine, I think are doing very well in the pure perlite tall container that I have for them. I too will be attempting to put them into LARGE containers, until they get some size to them. I will be planting them out on some different property other than my current home (more to come on my newest aquisition! :)). I am glad to see in another thread by Komkrit? that they will grow in a salty environment. Thanks for the link.

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Dear David :)

iam glad you visited that link and i hope it would have given new ideas on growing the Palmyra Palm...

And for the month of may i have decided to stay away from the use of thumbnails option and go back to the age old method of linking my stills to photo sites.since i wish that visitors to this thread enjoy seeing visuals that are life like.just in case,if the photo uploaded sited simply close down in future...even then a major chunk of information uploaded before May'08 will still be avaliable to members since its in our server ! :)

So,let us all have joys of enjoying Hi-Res Images without eye strain and less of mouse clicks !

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear brother Gileno :)

here are few stills of the seeds that you sent.amoung the seeds you sent me.the Dioon Edule were the first batch to germinate.i got 100% germination rate and as you told i socked those fresh Dioon Edule Seeds for just 2 days and kept changing the water every morning.and of the 3 dioon seeds,2 germinated in water itself and i air dried those 2 in room temperature before putting them in scarcely moist cocopeat(i.e like always i prepared my moist cocopeat but before putting this medium into ziploc bags.i allow it to airiate for half or one full day and i sampled the medium for the dampness level.if the medium is on the verge of drying,i immedietly put them in those ziploc bags.Now i place those air dried Dioon seeds in them and allow the roots to form for few days,in my knowledge just a week will do before sowing the seeds into a porous potting medium ! And dear Gileno thanks very much for the gift seeds...

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

From here lets see close-ups.. :rolleyes:

IMG_0086.jpg

By the way if you are intreasted in using any of my stills,please go ahead no permission is need for its use. :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now lets see some taliopt palms seeds germination..the seeds are around one year old and if you are regular to this thread you will know from where they came..

these seeds were sleeping,when the rest of its seeds are now preety well grown.all i did was take these seeds in their ziploc bags and placed them in a huge metal barrel with a closed lid but the container is not air tight.and placed this container in our roof top garden.in just a 2 week's time one of the sleeping seeds just germinated.here are the visuals for you... :rolleyes:

IMG_0015.jpg

Now the germinated seed is placed in a medium sized plastic water bottle,and i have reused this,since initially i had grown a Sabal Mexicana,but that rotted.so the container is the same but the potting soil is different in the case of the Talipot's germinated seed.while the other non-germinated seed is put in a new ziploc bag with the same coir medium without adding any additional mositure to it.

by doing this i save a lot in space.since those containers without live plants around is a mere waste of valuabe walking space...

IMG_0016.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here are lovely visuals of Trachycarpus fortunei X Wagneriansus..

these seeds are from dear brother M@ximus (M@x)...

here are the visuals which are self explinatory ! :)

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Trachycarpus fortunei X Wagneriansus seeds germination_ (Continued)...

In the following still the coir medium is once again reused and those sleeping seeds are reused and is once again taken into that dark room (Indoors) ! :hmm:

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

And for the benefit of visitors to my threads & posts..i have upgraded my standard membership account to pro in photo uploading site.so that i get more spare bandwidth to host more hi-res stills..

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now lets see the visuals of Queen Palm seeds germination,and these happen to be seeds from heavy trunking species...and seeds courtesy M@x.and he knows preety well that i love the stout trunking palm varities... :)

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

question & answer session ! :)

How to germinate Licuala mattanensis mapu ?

Hi,

i want to germinate L. mattanensis mapu. Usually i put all my tropical seeds in moist coco fibre in a plastic bag at approx. 30-35°C wich works very well. Does the Licuala require anything special or different from this? What is your experiance?

You can use the above mentioned technique with great success... Pateince is going to be key with these seeds... I have had some take 14-15 months to germinate so don't give up hope on them easily. :) Happy growing and keep us posted of your results!

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now lets see the Med fan_Valcano seeds germination(the visuals that you are seeing are from the reused seeds batch)they were sleeping,when the first batch have been potted a month back ! since now the present temperatures are from 104 to 107 degrees farenheat.may be this rise in temperatures helped the sleeping seeds to wake up ! :rolleyes: And if you are regular to this thread you would know,who has sent these gift seeds to me ? :hmm:

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now all the above germinated seeds were poteed or bottled using this medium,since now i have accesses to cocopeat & perilite i have started using it than using the Kris Soil mix.. :D

IMG_0090.jpg

And this is the still of all the above palm saplings being bottled ! :rolleyes:

IMG_0093.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now lets see the new additions to my Agro Stock ! :hmm: its the cocopeat & perilite and to my surprise its really cheap since its all subsedised...and the cocopeat was already moist and came in air tight double layer bags..And i had to get it from Banglore.since its not sold in the place where i live.

81ad6f8a.jpg

09ef64db.jpg

By the way the use of these above products have reduced my work by half... :winkie:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear brother Gileno Machado :)

here is one of your Dioon Edule which germinated little later,may be by 2 days! :)

And like always we have those visuals..

30844e9a.jpg

In the this still we can see the potting medium & the plastic pot !

ad5dbb9e.jpg

0d8ab14e.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And friends,now i feel that i should have re phrased the sub topic header as "Free seeds is a must" :lol: Since i had put it as Fresh seeds is a must...! :mrlooney:

since lots of gift seeds from around the world gave me the leanency to try new methods over and over again on the same palm species...

in terms of improvising in the usage of various soil or potting medium,baggie method,container method or direct potting method,keeping the young saplings indoors or keeping them outdoors with just a shade cloth on top of them....

i think if one buys just 10 or 12 seeds from online traders overseas,i suppose one would not have the oppurtunity to experiment with seeds germination as i had..since i do not have anyone to actually guide me in the initial stages..it was more of a trial & error method.

So i take this oppurtunity to thank all those special forum friends who have helped me in this experiment...!

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Ciao kris!! You can germinate everything always without problems !! GREAT!!!

The seeds at post 586 are from me, but they aren't Chamaerops Vulcano, but Chamaerops x vulcano, an hybrid where Vulcano is male palm and female is the nice Chamaerops on this pic.( That is already an hybrid ) the joung palms should be like mom!!( we hope)

Best M@x

post-180-1210876443_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

M@x

North Rome Italy

Dear Brother M@x :)

its very nice to hear from you,and thanks for the correction...since iam not that good in remembering the techenicalities of plants names & species...

And that still of your hybrid is fentastic...hope even those you have sent me grows so beautiful as seen in your still. :)

thanks & lots of love to you,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

question & answer session !

chamaedorea seifrizii, How long to germinate ?

Can anyone give me pointers on germination techniques and how long do they normally take ?

Took me about 6 to 8 months to get the few I have to germinate. Baggy method, had them on bottom heat through winter, only one popped then. Since summer began I've had them in my storage shed where temps get pretty warm during the day......3 more popped. Hope this helps

love conquers all..

43278.gif

question & answer session ! :unsure:

Hyphaene compressa Seed Germination :-

I have been looking for info on getting these monsters started. I have read a few different tips from RPS on a Hyphaene coriacea and 1 of them was talking about a vice and saw. I have not found any info on my Hyphaene compressa seeds. I know I should soak them for several days to a week. But does anyone have any good tips for starting these seeds. Where should I cut into it, if I am to cut into it at all?

seed1.jpg

These might be the most annoying seeds I have ever germinated - that is until I finally gave in to a form of the baggie method. If you are handy with your pruners, try and scrape off the hardened flesh on the seed, and let them sit in our lovely sun for a few days, preferably on a hot black surface. Bury them in the sphagnum moss you would buy for orchids and keep the moss damp, but not wet. I just left mine outside for a few months and forgot to water them in that mix, and they germinated. Be careful with removing them once they put out a cotelydon, as they are very brittle.

Here is a link for germinating these. I have had good luck germinating coriacea but I just got my compressa seeds so we will see. I once forgot about a bucket I had with some seeds in it. I stumbled upon it one day and was going to throw them away but they had all germinated 100 %. They had received some water in the winter time but just what ever fell in the bucket.

I have had trouble transplanting these though. It seems the roots are more delicate than bizzies. I do not do community pots any more due to the attrition from transplanting. I currently have a community pot that I have been putting off just because I do not want to loose more. I just cover the top of the soil with seeds then covered them with about an inch of soil. I let the sprinklers water them regularly and bam the next thing I know there are all these yellow tipped strap leaves popping up. These are slow growers; most of mine are recuperating from the transplant

Here is the link just click on it;

Hyphaene Germination

....>

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hyphaene compressa Seed Germination...continued !

I did not clean my seeds like the guy in the link, I think the best way is to just plant in a pot and water regularly, this SO-Cal Summer Heat should do the trick.

I had good success by just soaking in water for a week then cutting away the fruit then half burying them in sand and just covering them with blue metal ( a corse rock, blue in colour) then keeping them moist.

Checking them every few days and soon after the first signs of germination I potted them up in deep pots.

Keeping them moist but airy is the secret for good germination.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now for a change lets see how the Tahina spectabilis saplings are doing,that are being grown by our members ! :)

I ordered 20 seeds and 16 have germinated so far. They sprouted within a few weeks of sowing (sowed March 5) but have only pushed the above ground growth in the last couple of weeks.

img_1247.jpg

I discovered my Tahinas were pushing up leaves when I was showing Al, Jerry and Cindy my shadehouse on May 2nd, the day before the Biennial started. I finally got around to taking pictures today so I thought I would post a couple. I originally had 9 out of 10 seeds germinate, but one of the seeds retracted the root so I ended up with 8 out of 10. The remaining two seeds are still firm and look fine but have not germinated. I bought the deepest bags I could find, filled them with the best soil I could find, and laid each seed on top of the soil. I put them under a table to keep them from getting too much rain and forgot about them after a while. 7 out of 8 have pushed up a leaf so far since 5/2. I think this is because the 8th seed to germinate was much slower and was put into a grow bag much later than the others. Hopefully I will see a leaf on that one soon.

I should have turned the flash on my camera off. It washes out the nice green color of the leaves

DSC_0488.jpg

DSC_0489.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Butia capitata seeds...your expertise, your advice for optimal results.this was thread started by pg6922 (Patrirck)

Here are the replies to the above question :

I have found that you get better germination if you crack the endocarp and remove the individual seeds (as long as you're careful not to damage the individual seeds). If you let the cleaned "seeds/endocarp" dry out for a couple weeks until you can hear the individual seeds rattling around, you will be much more successful in not damaging the individual seeds while removing the endocarp. This tip came from Merrill Wilcox and it works very well. A added bonus is that the seeds seem to germinate more uniformly (time-wise) this way. If you leave the endocarp on they tend to germinate over a wide time frame. Although removing the endocarp on several hundred seeds can be a pain in the arse.

Butia's are slow germinators. I sewed some fresh off the the tree seeds about six months ago and they are all exploding as we speak. I put them in tubs with the lid on to hold the moisture in, and put them in my heated greenhouse. I put them just below the surface of the soil.

Matt

Patrick, You have a good chance at some hybrid mule seeds there based on the shape of those seeds. :)

the pointy narrow seeds resemble queen palm seed. in my experience the Butia capitata seed is round (not like football shape)

Matt, what temperature fluctuations roughly have you avg over the last 6 months? I beliee Butia needs a daily temp change to get them to pop as a constant heat in the past hasnt worked for me. also knowing the fact butia sprout by mother nature temps here.

I will try cracking the endocarp on some also.

keep us updated!

post-108-1211554108_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif