IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Materials Need For Germination..

Kris

Now the 2 non germinated seeds and one slightly germinated seed is put back in a new baggie bag containing the same old coir dust which was used in the above seeds germination process..

i think you follow what i say...that is i have reused the old medium ! without adding or substracting the medium or altering its moisture levels..

love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(krisachar @ Feb. 22 2008,07:50)

the following 2 stills the seeds variety names have not been noted down,but can be used as a nice example that baggie method does great job..!

Ciao  Kris!!

I  have  writed    names  on bags, Please, could  you  show  the  envelopes,  or  just  clean  seeds   for  try  to  recognize  them .( also  via PM if  you prefer)

The  first  one  could  be   Phoenix  roebellini  x  Dacty,

the  second  one could  be  chamaerops  humilis   macrocarpa.

But  I'm  not  sure!!

Ciao  M@x

M@x

North Rome Italy

Dear Max  :)

yes,you have identified your babies..only one small change here the first one is the second & the second one is the first !

this mix-up happened because,this stills were taken while was getting busy on my wedding arrangements..so i did not tag my illustrations properly..which i often do with the help of a note book !

thanks very much for the I.D's..or else those 2 stills would have become more annonomius without proper tagging...

Thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(Kai @ Feb. 22 2008,10:44)

That's really great Kris,

I've got some Jubaea x Butia seeds in a baggy too. How long did you have to wait to see this?

By the way, are you working for the zip-lock baggy industry as a salesman?  :D  :D  :D

Cheers,

Kai

Dear Kai  :)

For me it took around 2 & half months..and i must point out that once you see a small spear coming out of the cocopeat or coir dust...they hate to stay in those baggie..they love pleasent fresh air and space for their foot.

since i was waiting for around 3 months to change these hybrid babies into pots..the result mild browing of the top spear is visible.so it would be advisible for all to remove the top cover for the container method & for baggie bag method open-up the ziploc bags and try to repot it in a couple of days.to avoid my condition !

And as for the Zip Lock Baggie industry,they are doing okay without my assistance... :laugh:

lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here are few germinating tips for butia seeds _ By PalmGuyWC (Dick).

"I have difficulty germinating Butia seeds under controlled conditions, however the ones that fall on the ground, with mulch, under the mother tree, germinate eaisly. I removed a Butia about 5 years ago because it had genetic deficiencies (brown tipped all the time), and there are dozens of seedlings still germinating 5 year later. The same is true with my Trithrinax campestris. I think some seeds need to go through a heat/chill, wet/dry cycle to break the seeds dormancy.

Generally, I would say give the seeds plenty of heat with a light mixture and don't keep them to wet".

love conquers all..

43278.gif

One more butia seeds germination tech..from RPS (courtesy_Matt)..

"Here is someone elses Butia germinating experience I found on RPS's site.

...very difficult to germinate and need up to 3 months to sprout.

After years of trying to germinate these seedsand my own trees producing fresh seeds in zone 8 in Virginia, I was determined to produce my own Butias.I had tried every method possible, with poor resutls. After all I was able to germinate every palm seed I had ever grown except for this one.After reading somewhere that Butia's or hard shell seeds need heat(high) heat and moisture to break down the shell of these palms which occurs naturally in tropical enviiroments, it occured to me that I was not getting the seeds hot enough. I first used several differant mediums to germinate the seeds in and several differant pots and flats. I placed all my potted seedlings in my cold frame greenhouses in our hot summer weather. The temperature in the plastic covered cold frames reached as high as 90-100 degrees for the better part of May, June and July. I moistened the pots daily so this would create damp moisture to break down the hard outer shell. Finally in late July seedlings started poping through the soil mix. I removed the pots as they started germinating. In the tall pots where I had layered the seedling I had atleast 85 percent germination and in the flats maybe 10%. I removed the pots so that the high heat and light wouldn't burn the newly sprouting seedlings. I immeadiately transplanted each seedling as they appeared. I have atleast 700 hundred Butias seedlings. I returned the pots with the still ungerminated seedlings back into the greenhouses and have continued watering daily. They are still coming up. Some of the seeds were even two years old. For the soil mediums, I used two differant types. One had half sand, potting soil with some pine bark in it. This medium did fare. The second medium I used half potting soil and vermiculite, a fifty fiffty ratio. This medium in 3 galoon tall pots have the highest germination rate. The roots of the Butias had grown huge. I did water all pots with 20.20.20 every other time I watered and I figure that the vermiculite helped retain the fertilizer longer and consequently helped the root systems develop better. I was 100% pleased with my results. considering I don't not live in the tropics.

Submitted by Kathy Denton palmlady@gte.net "

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris

Your post has been nothing but awesome,  I started my seeds about two weeks ago.  Had some mystery seeds that I didn't write down their name during my soaking process, well they are the first to spout.  How long do you normally leave them in the baggie before you transplant them?  Thanks again for your post, it has really been a great help.  Thanks

for sharing!!!!!!

Edrow

Zone 9A

Sweeny, TX.

Texas Gulf Coast

26 miles from the Gulf of Mexico

Elevation 16'

Gets hotter than a snake's butt in a wagon rut.

High Humidity

Dear Eddie  :)

thanks for your encouragement ! and you spoke about the mystery seeds that germinated first ! i think if your other seeds have not germinated yet,then kindly see if the once germinated have their roots hiting the bottom of that zip loc bag ! or if any visible sign of spear or sprout seen then.just cut open the baggie bag and as i have illustrated in all my old stills..gentle remove and plant in deep root continers or decent sized pots with more perilite and less cocopeat and some punice stone dressings ! your done with that work.

Now to your seeds that have not germinated yet,they must be repotted with the same medium but in a new zip loc bag.and kindly do not add any additional water to the old medium.and while cut opening the baggie always do it in the evenings when the sun has gone down and inside a room like a kitchen or a bathroom where humidity levels are bit high.so that your old medium does not dry fast due to outside air.And most importantly use a permanent marker pen to write the content of that baggie and use the term reused or 2nd try in the corner of that baggie bag with the old(first attempt) & new(2nd attempt) dates on them !  :;):

And if possible kindly share your knowledge & your process of germination here,and with still if possible,provided you are following the baggie method ?  ???

Since this is not just my thread but ours..i cannot try to germinate all palm seeds avaliable on earth but all have some favouriate varities and some will be experts in certain varities,so your knowledge on those is priceless..

so feel free to post your comments & stills on palm seed germination..instead of posting those information on a seperate thread.since they should be preserved for all new commers of this forum..

And now a days i do not have much time to take stills of my operation ! so i request all memebers who think they have certain expertice or knowledge of the varities that you have all tried and have young saplings from your method...

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

there is lots of talk on the blessed palm seeds(Tahina Spectablis)..

Seeds are avaliable at this_ Site !

And in one of the threads here,on this blessed palm,their are reports that these seeds germinate like crazy ! here is a link for those who are intreasted in seeing the visuals...Link !

And one memeber by name Charles Wychgel  has also tried these seeds using the zip loc bag method..

Charles/Portugal @ Posted on: Mar. 01 2008,03:26

These seeds are unbelievable  :D  they sprout within a week.

Two ziploc bags, (each five seeds) one with perlite the other with cocopeat placed on a gas heater with only the pilot flame on.

Photo shows the fastest one from the cocopeat bag, the ones in the perlite are popping just now.

Attached Image

Charles_Wychgel.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

here are some stills of germinated seeds,though they have tried their own methods to acheive the results..the visuals are so beautiful i thought of sharing it with you all...!  :)

the following still seen below courtesy : Willim.

PiousPalms@Posted on: Feb. 29 2008,11:47

Just thought someone might like to see these photos...  Pics were taken today!   :cool:  YIPPEEEE

b1b7e852.jpg

Likewise even another memeber by name Big50 had germinated these Tahina Spectablis seeds..

Big50@Posted on: Feb. 29 2008,19:30

Today, after two days of the photo above:

3a5dd287.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now let me give you quotes on what Mr.Michael Ferreira (Palm Guy)has to say on his baggie method & its results..

Palm Guy @Posted on: Mar. 06 2008,20:45

Pivi- As far as germinating Tahina is concerned...you can soak for a day then place in some seed starting mix using the baggie method and  I would used some heat...maybe 80F. I'm sure you'll get that puppy to germinate.Their really easy and the fastest seeds I have ever germinated. Put it this way, I got ten and sowed them on Saturday Mar 1. Now on thursday I have 7 out of 10! Now, lets see if I can keep them alive! Good luck you to mate. All the best!

Chambeyronias are also very easy. Just soak for a day or two and use the baggie method. You can easily get 70-80% without much effort and withing 2 to 3 weeks at about 80-85 F.

Palm Guy @Posted on: Mar. 06 2008,19:15

Hi all, as promised, here are some of my seeds growing. To this day, 7 out of 10 have germinated in 6 days since sowing.

2cfbf358.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Friends  :)

i wish to give you my E.Mail address,just incase you want me to correct some error in my method..

i like to hear your suggestions,comments,ideas & even critisium if any.you can reach me in this following email address_

kvachar@rediffmail.com

Since this will be more of use to non-memebers & guest,who cannot P.M me as to how much this method is successeful in their case... :)

i think its really time,that i get some feedback from you all and if you have any links & websites that teaches us how to germinate palm seeds and the success stories of the baggie method..i would love to visit it and even add those links in this page.since all that matters to me is that this thread is of some real use to its visitor !  :)

lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hi Kris,

I think with all the information in this thread alone you can write a very thick book about germinating palmseeds. Of coarse with a lot of very nice visuals! Please inform me when you've finished the book, because i want to be the first to buy it!  :D

My opinion about the baggy method is that it works fantastic on most palmseeds, however, there are some species (Parajubaea for example) who wish to have a very good oxigen flow, so putting them in a small container with an open lid, might increase your chances of germinating. Most large cocoid seeds are put in such containers by me (chinese take away containers to be exact) and only burried for 1/3 of their size. I use this method for Syagrus species, lytocarium, Astrocaryum, Jubaea, Jubaeopsis, Parajubaea, Polyandrococos, Attalea, Cocos nucifera and it also worked fine for Johannesteijsmannia altifrons. For most smaller seeds I use the baggy method. Not too long ago I got some Gastrococos crispa seeds and was in doubt wether to put them in baggies or in a container. I decided to put them in a baggy and they germinated within a few weeks! Very effective!

Greetings,

Kai

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

(Kai @ Mar. 07 2008,12:15)

Hi Kris,

I think with all the information in this thread alone you can write a very thick book about germinating palmseeds. Of coarse with a lot of very nice visuals! Please inform me when you've finished the book, because i want to be the first to buy it!  :D

My opinion about the baggy method is that it works fantastic on most palmseeds...

thanks for the encouragement and also for your suggestions on those palms seeds where baggie method does not fair that well !

yeah,i want this kind of informative feedback,so it is of emense use to those how read this thread ! so to say all palm seeds germination quries(FAQ's)under one topic header.

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Okay now lets see the new updated in Kris Workshop... :)

in the month of feb 2008,i received a big consingment of seeds & seedlings from my brother MAX.and as always i have given step by step illustration of the seedlings being botteled(Potted) in their new home !

the first of the line of events,we shall see the Washy filifera seedlings...!  :)

love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

??? these babies were gently put in a cardboard box or mineral water bottle carton and carried indoor next to my living room..since the suqrieals are just waiting to lay their hands on it.

that baggie bag had around 106 or 108 young seedlings..and i ran out of plastic bottles for the first day operation.so had to keep few washies in a temperary pot,which were on the following day were replanted into plastic bottles !

they are posted in the forth comming posts..!  :)

post-108-1205217850_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

these are the babies that had to wait for the bottles, which were got the following day itself ! till then they were kept in a temperary housing !  :)

Blurred image_courtesy my Canon 3Is PowerShot Camera.. :(

post-108-1205218103_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Some more visuals of the Blessed palm seeds... :)

One of our memeber by name_Ruddy Benezet (RuB)..had given visual of these seeds in one of his posts !

RuB@Posted on: Mar. 06 2008,19:02

Very glad  to be with you, and  to take part in  talking about this marvellous subject.

I'm a new IPS member so (but an old guy) ! and I like seeding !!

2042688540073534487S500x500Q85.jpg

Great !

Regards

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dera Kris:

I just enjoyed the precision of your step-by-step descriptions!  They were easy to follow...And made absolutely great sense!

Paul

• Upvote 1

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

And those who have red this post right from the start,page after page would have noticed that iam a fan of canadian spunghum moss.the product is sold by name NoDampOff™ Seed Starter_by Mosser Lee.

this material is easily avaliable in the U.S and here is the site_Link !

since i do not have accesses to this item here,iam using the cocopeat substance as a mere substitute.

intereastingly in one of our memebers post i saw lovely visuals, where the memeber by name_WaianaeSteve has taken pains to see that fungus does not affect the seeds !

the material he has used is the spanghum moss but he has boiled this item,like steam cooking ! to avoide any fungus or Damp-off situation.

IMGP2654.jpg

Above still courtesy_WaianaeSteve.

I wish those who have accesses to this Damp-Off material kindly try it and also sterilize it as our friend steve has done and give me feedback of that operation !  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now lets see how our memeber_WaianaeSteve has arranged the seeds on that Moss...and by the way his method is container seeds germination process.but for continuty sake i even give you this still along with his quote_

WaianaeSteve@Posted on: Mar. 11 2008,02:44

Placed 10 seeds upon the moss which I let cool and then squeezed out most of the moisture.

IMGP2655.jpg

Then sealed it

The above information & still belongs to WaianaeSteve.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

One more still of the Tahina spectabilis seed germination...

the following information & still courtesy_'RuB'_Ruddy Benezet.

RuB@Posted on: Mar. 06 2008,20:01

I've got one little root this morning !

Only 7 days to get this wonderful thing! Speedy this Tahina!!

3 cm long!

2955766520073534487S500x500Q85.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(palmdoctor @ Mar. 11 2008,10:01)

Dera Kris:

I just enjoyed the precision of your step-by-step descriptions! They were easy to follow...And made absolutely great sense!

Paul

Dear Paul Nawrocki  :)

thanks Doc !  :) Hope you stay tune to this channel...now & then. :D

lots of love to you,

And by the way if you have germinated palm seeds using the baggie bag or the Zip Loc bags,kindly feel free to share your experience & even stills of that operation if possible. :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

i have not tried that variety yet...so can't talk more on those seeds !

And some of our forum friends suggested me that i try giving some heat treatment to get better germination rates...so i transported some sleeping seeds in the baggie bags into outdoors with help of huge barrels here are the visuals of that

but even after 2 weeks i see no sprout of life yet..

post-108-1205480301_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif