IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Materials Need For Germination..

Kris

Dear Rafael :)

To your question i would say as long you do not see much of greenish spear the germinated seeds can remain in that box in a closed condition.And they do fine with floresent lamps than direct sunlight.And once they put out good root system and the a healthy spear,you can move those little seedlings to slightly bigger containers placed in an area getting filtered light and lots of fresh outside air which is neither too hot or too cold.

If you had gone through the visuals in this thread,you would have notice how we did it...:hmm:

Love,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 1 month later...

Okay lets have some visuals...for the past one year or so,even the palm seeds did give me some rest to relax with my new born kid. :winkie::)

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

Here's a visual of the potting soil that we are going to use,Which is predominently coarse grade river sand..

IMG_0026.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Cont..

And here you can see the base bottom of that small sized terracotta pot being filled with coarse grade perlite,And i have noticed that red ants,fungus,pests do not grow that easily in this medium.

And the results are just fine for me ! :)

IMG_0027.jpg

Now like usual,We start filling this pot with Kris Soil Mix...:lol:

IMG_0028.jpg

And finally this is how it looked ! :winkie:

IMG_0029.jpg

Thanks & Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 5 months later...

HELLO FRIENDS.

MY NAME IS RODRIGO AND I LIVE IN BRAZIL.

HAS ANYONE MANAGED TO GERMINATE SEEDS OF CYRTOSTACHYS RENDA?

I BOUGHT 100 SEEDS OF THEM FROM 100 "RAREPALMSEEDS", BUT I HAVE NOT GOT SUCCESS WITH THE GERMINATION. I KNOW THAT THE CYRTOSTACHYS RENDA LIKE A LOT OF WATER.

COULD SOMEONE HELP ME?

THANK YOU.

RODRIGO.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

I just started this hobby 6 months ago. Today I joined this forum and IPS.

This post of yours Kris is awesome, and you have done a terrific job with your images.

I have about 25 types of seeds all in pots, some germinating, some taking their time to do so.

Your illustrations have helped me realize just how simple it is to germinate seeds.

I keep trying different mediums, and moving my seeds/Seelings around, from indoors to outdoors, then back again.

I dont think this promotes growth and in someway I've read that it can kill the seedlings.

Have you had ay experience with moving seedlings.... perhaps in trying to maximize rate of growth?

Thanks again,

Rob

Bermuda

• Upvote 1

Bermuda (32N 64W)

Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Humidity (77% ave.)

Warm Season: (May-Nov): Max/Min 88F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Wet season Dec-April.

"What happens to you does not matter; what you become through those experiences is all that is significant. This is the true meaning of life."

Dear Rob :)

Hai,Glad to hear from you,and also happy to know you liked this thread...

And coming to your question about moving palms,I would say the moment you see roots coming out of those small containers or pots its better to shift to bigger pots or barrels,The same applies to shifting big sized palms from pots to ground....I have tried to illustrate this fact through various threads,which might be of some use to you and other visiting this thread.

Here is a link to all the Palm Maintenance Work !

http://www.palmtalk....app=forums&st=0

Thanks & Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 1 year later...

Dear Maxim

My greetings to you,And Its great to see some of my old threads & posts being brought up now and then.You really have lot of patience....:)

Here are few interesting links for you & others who are germinating Borassus.F seeds :-

http://www.palmtalk....showtopic=14988

http://www.palmtalk....borassus.f&st=0

Lots of love to you,

kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 1 year later...

Axel in Santa Cruz

I ordered a bunch of bismarckia seeds, the green form and the blue form. I have the green and blue ones in exactly the same conditions, at around 27C. Lo and behold, the green ones took 2 weeks to germinate, and the blue ones are still sitting there doing nothing. So far the only other germinators are livistona muelleri and archont. purpurea.

Anyone else played around with the green ones?

Here is a pic of the baggie showing the sinker roots on steroids:

post-108-0-44845500-1381758563_thumb.jpg

PalmnutVN

Near my place of work.....

post-108-0-12808800-1381758070_thumb.jpg

Note:- All text & visuals seen in this post belong to the respective members of this forum.To read more on this topic do visit the main thread..Green versus silver bismarckia

Edited by Kris

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Butia Germination Methods _

by buffy

I'll describe them now. I'm using 6.5L tupperware-type containers that are clear plastic. I've drilled a small hole in the side of one of the containers to insert my thermocouple for my heating mat thermostat. I used a grommet and perlite debris to seal the entry hole for the probe. The containers are half-filled with moist perlite. I've place the Butia seeds on the top of the media where I can monitor how wet the seeds are. I have the heating mat/ thermostat combo hooked up to a timer that powers the combination from 7:30am until 5:00pm each day. The thermostat is set to 90F. I've read everybody's recommendations on Butia germination, and this is the best combo I can think of. It should keep humidity near 100% and temps around 90F during the day. Ambient temperatures in the greenhouse bottom out at 72F at night. Any other thoughts?

Here we go:

post-108-0-80652800-1381761205_thumb.jpg post-108-0-41763500-1381761234_thumb.jpg

post-108-0-18343100-1381761220_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 years later...

Surprisingly, the method that has been most successful for me so far has just been putting seeds in a ziplock bag with a damp paper towel. 

• Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Dear Kai your welcome,and glad to hear from you..

Dear Red Rabbit happy to know you too use the ziploc bag method.

Here's interesting video,though it will help all those who are trying this method for the first time..

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

All these videos are for beginners as to how to start and what are materials needed.No doubt for palms seeds the duration is much longer and in some case you might need thermal pads too depending on your climatic zones..

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 5 months later...

Merry Christmas to all our friends in Palmtalk.

Here's a video of Brahea Armata x Brahea Brandeegi hybrid seeds germination process..

To know more about this update follow the link given below :

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 10 months later...

Just came through few interesting videos on palm seeds germination in youtube by The Palm Fiend. 

More informative videos are there in his youtube page,Kindly visit and be benefited.

Love,

Kris.

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif