IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Materials Need For Germination..

Kris

Now lets see the soil medium for this buri palm germinated seeds..

contents of this Kris soil mix is Course Grade washed river sand,trace quantity of coir dust & same ratio of perilite(course grade)...that's all !

post-108-1202657897_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now lets see the container,in my case i always use mineral water bottles..use a O.P marker pen to write the name of the germinated seed that is gona live in it for some time..once these survive and put out roots from its drain holes then once again rewrite the name with oil or enamel paint in yellow colour..

post-108-1202658117_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

for few months i was using coir dust with coir fiber to create a drain filter..but in my observation the plants in those containers tried to damp-off ! so now on i have started to use construction grade granite chips or crushed rock chips to cover the drain holes for the filteration work,if not all the soil will get washed away from the bottle,each time when we water it..

so now shall we fill the pot(Bottle)..

post-108-1202658338_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

this is how it looks when the soil mix is filled with that seed shown above,and gentle watering is done with help of a shower head And avoide pouring water directly into the bottle..And you need not water the container till water gushes out of the drain holes..watering of that kind is needed only when your seeds put out a healthy sprout and if your are heading towards a dry summer !

post-108-1202658621_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now lets see how my other previously germinated palms are all doing in our roof top garden ! and most have put out roots from their drain holes and their containers needs to be changed...since iam just keepin 3 palms per species,rest are going to local friends & parks...gardens ! so have kept as they are..since its easier to transport them like this..

And i have used a waterproof based plywood board,on this the plastic bottles are placed to reduce the bottom heat generated from the terracota roof tiles...here are the visuals..

post-108-1202659622_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And friends please bear with me on these stills..since its just a teaser trailler,to Encourage you all to try the Zip Loc Bag or the Baggie bag method with your fresh palm seeds...

post-108-1202659957_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Kai Kuné  :)

thanks for the participation & making this thread more Alive & Active..it was quite borring for me to simply talk like a lecturer..but now this truff is even,since i want all the memebers to share their germination experience both success & failures and if possible with visuals & illustrations and a small request will be,that memeber post the gestation period,the temperature needed for seed germination & what type of anti fungus treatment you folks have given to your seeds !

And Kai lovely stills and i must appriciate that your doing great job_keep it up !  :)

And let me share a reason as to why i donot pot my germinated seeds so quickly..first and foremost reason i do not have accesses to specilised products like Peat moss,perilite & my favouriate canadian Spyngum moss products,superthrive,miricle grow,nutricoat etc..so the methodology used is bit premitive & crude...but times are changing hope some day i will get all tha above products on shelf in our local Agro Shops.

And in my opnion the best of the best germinating medium for a fesh seeds will be the canadian spyngum moss only !since once i had an oppurtunity to use this product,i was stunned not a single seed damped-off.99% its a very good product..but the medium should not be over damp,that aspect should be kept in mind..

thanks & lots of love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(krisachar @ Feb. 11 2008,06:35)

Dear Kai Kuné  :)

thanks for the participation & making this thread more Alive & Active..it was quite borring for me to simply talk like a lecturer..but now this truff is even,since i want all the memebers to share their germination experience both success & failures and if possible with visuals & illustrations and a small request will be,that memeber post the gestation period,the temperature needed for seed germination & what type of anti fungus treatment you folks have given to your seeds !

And Kai lovely stills and i must appriciate that your doing great job_keep it up !  :)

And let me share a reason as to why i donot pot my germinated seeds so quickly..first and foremost reason i do not have accesses to specilised products like Peat moss,perilite & my favouriate canadian Spyngum moss products,superthrive,miricle grow,nutricoat etc..so the methodology used is bit premitive & crude...but times are changing hope some day i will get all tha above products on shelf in our local Agro Shops.

And in my opnion the best of the best germinating medium for a fesh seeds will be the canadian spyngum moss only !since once i had an oppurtunity to use this product,i was stunned not a single seed damped-off.99% its a very good product..but the medium should not be over damp,that aspect should be kept in mind..

thanks & lots of love,

Hello Kris,

First of all you can call me Kai, Kuné is my last name, but feel free to call me what you want (within the regulations of this forum of coarse  :D ). You're very pollite, which I think is a great characteristic.

All my palmseeds are germinated by the same temperature. I put the baggies on the lid of my aquarium where the lamp gives off a lot of warmth. At night the light automatically switches off an in the morning on again. That means the seeds also get day-night fluctuations in temperature, which seems to work fine for all the seeds that I've posted in this thread and many more. Seeds that I've lost were allways due to too much moisture in the germinating medium (I use neem coir and peat moss) Half of the seeds per species go into a baggy with moss and the other half into a baggy with neem coir (neem coir is very simmilar to cocofiber) I always mix a drop of "palmbooster"(vitamins for palms) into the germinating medium. I have never used any fungicides or whatsoever, in my experience everything should go well if you just don't get the medium too wet. Sometimes I do soak the seeds for an hour or so in a 1-10 bleach sollution before sowing, which at least doesn't do any harm.

And Kris,I still have a large bucket of peat moss and it's not very hard for me to come by. If you're interested, I could dry it and try sending it to you by mail.

Kind regards,

Kai

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

(Kai @ Feb. 11 2008,16:13)

Kris,I still have a large bucket of peat moss and it's not very hard for me to come by. If you're interested, I could dry it and try sending it to you by mail.

Kind regards,

Kai

Dear Kai  :)

its very kind of you to offer...but i will request for them on later ocassion..since iam taking some time off to be with my wife..since i got married just few months back.and all the germination stills that is shown in this thread is all conducted before my marriage and those that have sprouted lately as these were sleeping for all these time...as for new operation only the gift seeds from Ortanique.com is used immedietly and a pack of seeds from Rps (Zebra Fishtail Palm & Blue Yarey Palm) are socked and put in baggie bags..

So kindly excuse me for the moment... :)

Thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris my friend, you are a serious palm grower!!!  It is hard to believe you are growing so many palms in containers and on your roof!  My compliments to you...  I hope you continue to be as active with palms and this board, now that you're married.  The best to you and your new bride.   Jv

• Upvote 1

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Kris,

Thanks so much for posting such nice pictures and germination techniques. You are a true asset to this forum buddy. :)  I'm suprised we didn't see any pets in with your pictures. :)

Kai,

Thanks for posting your pictures too. May I ask what you have in the aquarium under the pots? Do you leave a little water in there for extra humidity?

Thanks to both of you. I'm germinating seeds on top of my cable box now!

• Upvote 1

Kris,

Thanks for sharing your pic's and your germination tips.  This has been a great thread, keep up the great work.  I just finished starting about a hundred plus seeds can't wait for the sprouting to begin.  Also congrads on the new bride.

Thanks again

Edrow :D

Edrow

Zone 9A

Sweeny, TX.

Texas Gulf Coast

26 miles from the Gulf of Mexico

Elevation 16'

Gets hotter than a snake's butt in a wagon rut.

High Humidity

(palmsrgreat @ Feb. 15 2008,05:32)

Kai,

Thanks for posting your pictures too. May I ask what you have in the aquarium under the pots? Do you leave a little water in there for extra humidity?

Yes, that's right, there's a layer of water under the pots, just enough to keep an aquarium heater submerged, which heats up the water to about 27 degreeds Celcius. The pots are of course stationed above the surface.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

(krisachar @ Feb. 14 2008,07:23)

its very kind of you to offer...but i will request for them on later ocassion..since iam taking some time off to be with my wife..since i got married just few months back.and all the germination stills that is shown in this thread is all conducted before my marriage and those that have sprouted lately as these were sleeping for all these time...as for new operation only the gift seeds from Ortanique.com is used immedietly and a pack of seeds from Rps (Zebra Fishtail Palm & Blue Yarey Palm) are socked and put in baggie bags..

So kindly excuse me for the moment... :)

Thanks & love,

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Dear Iamjv,palmsgreat,edrow... :)

thanks for the compliments !  And  iam sorry for replying to you all lately,since when my threads go to the 2nd page i bump it up to the main page through replying to your comments..thanks for staying on...!  :)

love,

and by the way if you are using this very same techenique,then i will love to see stills of your germination work !

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(Kai @ Feb. 15 2008,14:18)

Dear Kris,

I enjoy your threads and posts a lot!

And about that moss: no problem, I'll find a good use for it.

Kai

thanks very much & also for understanding my situation.. :)

And a big thank you for sharing your germination stills..hope to see more stills of palm sprouts seen within the baggie bags..just it would be helpful for the members to accept that this method is working great for us.. ???

lots of love to you,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear David(Alice2000Hunter)  :)

this is the shower can that i use for watering my plastic bottles & young sprouted palms ! and once i see the water rising above the soil level i immeidetly stop watering that pot or container...

by this i realised that the palms servive better even with out the use of harsh fungicides..etc.

Love,

post-108-1203145571_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Seeing the germination results & the healthy ness of Kai palm stills above,even i am tempted to use some plant grouth accelators..so i will be trying this chemical on few seeds,by simply using just few drops of this into the readied germination medium.just at the time of putting them into the baggie bag..don't worry i will keep you all updated on this experiment...its a chemical and not a N-P-K fertz.

here is a still of that liquid chemical..

post-108-1203146013_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif