IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Materials Need For Germination..

Kris

Now few updates...

here is germinated Sabal texas raised from seeds from RPS..

lets see visuals of it..

post-108-1201762973_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

the roots seemed to be fairly develpoed to me to repot them..and one greatest advanatage of this baggie method is we get clear visuals due to the transperant structure of this bag..

post-108-1201763226_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now this is what is left..2 germinated,while rest of the seeds are sleeping...no mould formation & neither they float.so the rest of the seeds are once again reused in that same medium but a new baggie bag is used_that's all ! this time i will try some heating medium to get some more results from this sleeping beauties..?  :P

post-108-1201763539_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now the 2 sprouted sabal texas(Mexicana's) are bottled up with a course sandy medium with trace amount of perilite course grade..!and watering is done gently so that only the top 2 to 3 inches of the bottle soil medium get wet and this is done using a hand held shower can..

what i have noticed is when i drench the entire bottle the medium takes at least a week to dry,by them the plam roots & the tender stem gets rotted(Damp-off)! inspite of using the finest fungicide,they simply perish.

but now i just do the above,and do not use any fungicide either..they are all growing great..so damp-off is not a disease but simple rot due to excess water..since excess water itself destroys young seedlings than due to any fungus infection..

And iam living in coastal area very close to the sea..so the soil remains wet for a long time due to excess humidity ! :(

post-108-1201764138_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Robbin _ thanks !  :)

Now lets see the Aiphanes Minima Seeds Germination...Seeds were gifts from Brazil.Yes Brother Gileno had sent seeds to me..Now lets see the germinated & sprouted seeds visuals...

post-108-1201966195_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

of the 6 seeds in that baggie bag,2 healthy palms have emerged,rest is sleeping.but rest of the seeds do look healthy still..so i reused it with the same medium,stills of that later.. :D

post-108-1201966505_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And now the rest of the non-germinated seeds were reused in the same medium but a new baggie bag was used and all the labelling & writings duely done ! for reference...

post-108-1201966853_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now lets see the Queen Palm seed germination...Fresh seeds

courtesy M@x ! temperatures around 78 to 82 degrees farenheat on average.germinated in less that one month but waited for the green sprouts to be visible..i.e an extra 2 weeks or so for this stage to happen ! And the visuals are self explainatery..

post-108-1202141165_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And by the way in baggie bag we get an added advantage than any other method is you can lift the bag siedways easily and see root development and analyse wheather seperation & repotting is nessary or not !  ???

post-108-1202141473_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And a small suggestion is always keep this baggie bag in a small plastic pot or a vessel like container,while you are working on the potting work ! and keep it away at a distance so that you do not tred it mistakingly..

And while handling the baggie be careful since these plastic sheet has the tendency to slip and fall in the ground while carrying it here & there,most likely when you are showing-off these germinated seeds & sprouts to your friends... :P

post-108-1202141888_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

this is how it looks after careful seperation of each sprouted seeds..this event is very soothing to once eyes !

try seeds germination of your favouriate varities to feel what iam saying....satisfication garanteed,if not i will stop this thread...that's a promise !  :laugh:

post-108-1202142352_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now to the last stage of this pleasent operation is potting them up,but i have kept my means bit ecomomical by using ordinary mineral water bottles...since most are going to gardens & plant societies..so want to keep it cost effective..&

eco friendly too !

And water it gently,do not flood the bottles with water,but gently spray using a hand held shower can(not power operated one)..

Love,

Kris  :)

post-108-1202142704_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

i just visited a lovely link of one of the new memebers of this forum...thought even you all will enjoy visiting this site..

here's a link ! kindly scroll till the bottom of the page..lovely palm trees & great seeds germination visuals are seen in this link..

http://anotherfortpierceyard.blogspot.com/

love,

By the way the memeber's name is plantapalm (Mr.michael)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Still enjoying this thread Kris, keep up the great work.

What kind of Cycas is that in post #342, 343, and 344?

Take care,

Matt

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

(krisachar @ Feb. 04 2008,11:31)

And water it gently,do not flood the bottles with water

Uh-oh! I think I might have screwed up ...... that's why I keep damping stuff off.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

(krisachar @ Feb. 07 2008,17:07)

around a fortnight later look how this cycas has sprouted !  :)

Ciao  Kris!!

I  think  this  is    an  Araucaria   ,  not  a  Cycas!!

If  are the  seeds  that  I  have  shipped  to  you, them  come  from Naples Botanical  Garden  

Ciao  M@x

M@x

North Rome Italy

Dear Max  :)

yes,that was the name written over those seeds pouch..i thought it was some peculier cycas species...thanks for the I.D

And it's a really honour to have you in this thread since your are the God Father of this entire thread.since without your gift seeds,i doubt wheather i would have crossed even 2 pages ?

And this lovely thread with intention to teach new commers into this palm arena,palm enthuiest & rare palm collectors would be greatly benifited using the baggie method...though it want be of much help to commercial growers ! since their techiniques are far different and lot more expensive too...

my heart felt thanks to Dear M@ximus & all those who had interacted & given valuable feedback & suggestions..in this thread  :)

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Recently for joining the IPS,i received 5 packs of palms seeds from Ortanique as gifts..here is the postal envelop.

post-108-1202571123_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

just a gentle reminder to use this liquid bleach solution in a mild fashion on those fresh seeds for 30 to 45 minutes and then sock the seeds,For the very first time i have socked these seeds only for 24 hours and before placing these seeds into the baggie bag i had it dipped in broad spectrum fungicide solution and gently air dried those seeds in room temperature and placed it in the baggie bag in my dark room ! lets see what happens..i constantly keep doing things differently,to see if there is any performance improvement in germination rate.

Remember never keep the seeds or the medium socking wet..in its germination containers or the Zip Loc bags..

post-108-1202572792_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Some stills of those seeds socking process ! And each set of seeds were socked seperately,since its easy rememeber which species is which container and also for seeds hygine..

shall we..

post-108-1202628114_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

one more seeds socking still image has come out so blurred that i ommited its upload ! Now lets see the socked seeds natural air drying process..since the air in south india is warm the seeds gets dried in just 15 to 20 minutes.after that i put these seeds into the designated & labelled baggie or Zip Loc bags..

post-108-1202628910_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And one thing i often forget to mention you all is always keep one or two seeds sample in that pouch,since it will help to create your own Identification Archive of the various palm seeds one had germinated in ones lifetime.

So always keep some spare non germinated seeds in their labelled pouch itself for future reference & exhibits..

love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Wow Kris! Lovely thread! The Syagrus seeds look very cool, I really love those Syagrus species and other cocoids.

I'd like to know when did you join IPS and when did you recieve the ortanique seeds? I joined in january and waiting with great expectation!

Greetings,

Kai

Here's a visual of my germinated Syagrus schizophylla's. This was before I started germinating in baggies. These were germinated in cola bottles.

post-1050-1202630108_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Dear Kai Kuné  :)

my memebrship to IPS was a gift to me by Alice2000HUnter(David) and if i can rememeber it was in the month of Nov'07.

And Dear Kai,i would love all our memebers to participate in this thread with visuals..if you have tried and tested the baggie method ! so all kindly feel free to post your germination stills & germination info,so that it helps all the new guys to experiment with the seeds that they purschase,collect or trade !

Since i intend to bump this thread now & then to keep the above inforamtion alive ! so even your expertise on seeds germination will be here for a long time..so the choice is your's...

And their is a saying knowledge is power ! and to share that knowlegde is wonderful experience... ???

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(freakypalmguy @ Feb. 07 2008,11:59)

Still enjoying this thread Kris, keep up the great work.

What kind of Cycas is that in post #342, 343, and 344?

Take care,

Matt

Dear Matt  :)

As m@x has pointed out its a Araucaria,thanks for correcting me ! i thought it was a cycas plant.

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif