IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Materials Need For Germination..

Kris

Now lets see a close of the above seed & the good news is that all the 5 seeds have germinated and 4 fully rooted seeds

have been put in potting medium and place in a filitered sunlight zone in our over head terrace,soon i will post stills of those too !  :)

post-108-1195026118_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hi Kris!

When did you get archontophoenix seeds and from whom?

Are they fresh?

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

Hai Pivi  :)

those seeds are fresh and not bought from any online traders but from a dear friend of mine who lives in italy ! and whenever he has some seeds to spare he often sends it to me for my germination thread for me to try & also grow them in our garden...

Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Do you maybe know where did he get them?

Dear Pivi  :)

Since iam palm enthuiest wanting to collect a hand few of lovely varities,which is usually sent to me as gifts,i never felt the need to know anything more about their source..!

And this thread has crossed around 8 pages only due to the curticy & goodwill geasture shown by our forum memebers who inisist that i try some seeds delievered to me as gifts.so i think you understand my stand..!

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Sure kris.  :cool:

And the same seeds of the above cycas after ripping of the outer fleshy skin & by the way the shell smelled sweet with an aroma of sandelwood oil ! Now the seeds are in baggie bag lets see wheather iam lucky with this variety !

post-108-1195142056_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 1 month later...

Iam sorry about the flash burn(over exposure)..in that previous still.here is a clearer one taken with out flash_just for you !  :)

post-108-1197819540_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now lets see the potiing or bottling process...

the base or bottom layer of the bottle is filled with granite chips once they use in the construction field..this was done sine putting coir as a filter in drain holes have rotted few of my saplings in the long run.so i have changed to blue metal chips..

post-108-1197904329_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now lets see the soil mixture..it comprises only washed river sand course grade and that blue metal chips and nothing else !

post-108-1197904507_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now give me time to update on this nubiean desert palm,lets see how many surrive damp-off and put out terminal sprout or spear..! And the bad news is that it has started raining heavily and its winter now & the coastal humidity is simply keeping all my potted plants socking wet..

since i have placed all the above bottles & terracotta pots facing the sky,they get full sunlight & also full rainfall...i know for shure some of the above seedlings are gona buckel under this treatment..but some one has to experiment and give a feedback as to what this palms like..

your patience in this matter is greatly appriciated !  :)

lots of love & merry christmas to all,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now lets see some Palmera seeds germiantion,i did this just for fun,since i have no intention of growing local palms in our house garden..

around 3 months back around 4 seeds were simply put inside concreat pots just half feet below the pot top layer in course sandy soil and we watered this pot twice a week only and its in a shade of a dicot tree..

recently i was in desperate need of big sized concreat pots to place a 6 to 7 years old one phoenix sylverstris which is lifting up from its small pot in our roof top garden.so that time when i dug-up i found this..

post-108-1197906398_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 1 month later...

Dear Friends  :)

i wish to add a link of Corey Lucas-Divers work on palm seeds germination,he is also one of the most respected friends of mine in this forum,his user name is _ Neofolis

Iam adding this link so that it will be more benificial to our new memebrs who keep joining this thread every day...!

And his work seems to be more refined and fine tuned than what is seen above in my work !

hope its of some use to you all,who are into seeds germination process !

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin....y164132

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris,

Great tread, just getting started going t try your bag method here shortly.  

Thanks

Edrow

• Upvote 1

Edrow

Zone 9A

Sweeny, TX.

Texas Gulf Coast

26 miles from the Gulf of Mexico

Elevation 16'

Gets hotter than a snake's butt in a wagon rut.

High Humidity

Kris,Great step by step instructions,at a very timely moment for me,as I am beginning to try my hand at germinating seeds.I have access to some pretty nice palms,so I hope it goes well.So far I have tried germinating Licuala ramsayii,and Euterpe oleraceae,in small plastic boxes.Nothing yet,but it's only been two weeks.I believe I'm going to try the baggie method though,and see if I get quicker results.Once again,thanks for that great info!

• Upvote 1

Chuck Bailey

Dear Eddie & Dear Chuck  :)

First of all thanks for visiting this thread & also for keying your sweet comments,this certainly gives me the energy to do things better the next time.

But i must sinserely thank our forum memebrs & some special friends who kept encouraging me to keep this thread alive for a preety long time..without whom this thread would not have even crossed 2 pages... :D

And my request to all new commers or new memebers here to kindly visit our PLANTS AND SEEDS FOR SALE / SWAP Coloum regularly since some memebers here are giving out free seeds and they are 99% fresh stock,as they are all hand picked & cleaned by our memebrs from their house gardens and they just want you to propogated their palm varities in your house or gardens..so visit our site regularly and also be benifitted.since these seeds are fresh and free you stand to gain.and you can try baggie or container method as you feel.

here is a link to that seeds swap colum,just in case you have not visited it or do not know where it is !

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=SF;f=3

Thanks & Love to you all,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(krisachar @ Jan. 20 2008,06:26)

his work seems to be more refined and fine tuned than what is seen above in my work !

Kris you are very kind, but I am merely your humble student.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Dear Neo  :)

thanks for your appriceation...but your humble attitude,passifies me even further !  :)

And by the way friends,i have stumbled on some useful link,so thought i will add it to this ever growing thread... :D

http://www.palms.org/principes/1999/palmseeds.htm

hope that helps you all,

love conquers all..

43278.gif