IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Materials Need For Germination..

Kris

:D :D :D :D :) :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Kris - I have always used plastic containers with lids to germinate seeds.  Its kind of a community pot thing.  After reading your tutorial I will experiment with the plastic baggie method on my next go around with seeds.   The best thing about the baggie method is that I can store and germinate more seeds in my makeshift aquarium germinator.    As you can see by the picture below, space is at a premium.  Using baggies will allow many more seeds.   Thank you for your most excellent pictures and description.

DSC00859.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

Dear Bill  :)

thanks for visiting.... :)

Dear Kent  :)

i can see how neatly you have carried the gernination operation..but my small suggestion is that the seeds love dark warm room than bright sunlight or lights from bulbs.rest of the set up seems to be perfect !

After few months of germination work,i realised that seeds seldom damp-off or rot in this baggie method since i usually even remove out excess air from within the bag by gently squeezing the area of free space above the coir dust region and roll the excess free space and only then i close the mouth of the ziploc bag !

Note :- one peculiear thing that i noticed is that when we reuse the same sleeping seeds kindly use the same old coir medium put in a new ziploc bag.do not try preparing a new fresh & moist medium..doing so i have lost few seeds due to seed rot.while using the old medium the seeds that are viable do germinate in few weeks or months later...

thanks for visiting and also adding your lovely visuals...!

Lots of love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Friends  :)

lets see some of the stills that had fallen behind,just few days back i did see that i have not uploaded few of the old germination pictures...

here is washy filibusta's for you !

post-108-1192084372_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here are stills to show how pulmera seeds germinate without any medium.it was lying in a cardboard box in a dark room..

as i went to the room to clean i accidently noticed that few seeds had sprouted on its own without any assistance.but they were freshly collected seeds from the fruits derived from the wild ! it took not less than just 2 and half weeks to germinate.so what iam tell here is these seeds cannot be stored to be used later !  :)

here is visual of the cardboard box... :D

post-108-1192085267_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

the dipped saplings are left to air dry gently ! and those sleeping seeds are reused with the same coir dust using a new Zip Loc bag..

post-108-1192091585_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris thatnks for the suggestions.   I will find a way to cover the lights, keep the heat they provide and move to darkened are of my basement.   Soon I will be a seed startin' machine.

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

out of the 4 seeds used in this ziploc only 2 had germinated and the other 2 is sleeping quite i.e(the ones with green arrows)..

post-108-1192115668_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

those that have sprouted were put in plastic mineral water bottles which i often use for this kind of work..and those seeds that are sleeping are once again reused,using the same coir dust without any alteration in moisture levels but all that is new is only the ziploc bag(baggie bag)..

and like i always tell take a permenent marker pen and note down the contents in the ziploc bag and also write in the details about the seeds on that ziploc bag ! and place it once again in that warm darkroom....and wait !  :)

post-108-1192116007_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

finally this how they look at the end of the day's work ! if you have fungus problem in your earlier works,then drench the medium in these bottles with mild dosage of fungicide..

post-108-1192116241_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris-

I take it you kinda take out the "wads" of coir around the germinated seeds and then soak in water?

Or are you soaking the whole bag of coir?

Thanks again for the neat tutorial.

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dear Bill  :)

iam glad you are following closely and that doubt & question that you have raised is a very important point...

When we cut open the baggie bag or ZipLoc bag gently lifting the sprout sometimes its a easy task but in few occassions the roots stick to the coir and it appeards like a coir ball only in those case i recommand the water tub dipping or socking method.since the roots cannot be manhandled or tapped,if done so the sprout will show the damage by gently drying-up in few weeks ! and never do the socking work on a rainy day or when its too cold outside...And if the temperature is very cold try using a water that is neither warm or cold.use your finger to judge it and not thermo meters or elec gadgets.. :D

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

this time around some pygmy date palms have germinated seeds are from online seeds company along with the ordered seeds as gifts !

here are the stills..

post-108-1194795888_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

After planting them into mineral water bottles they are given a good drench of systemic fungicide mixed in water..

post-108-1194796478_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Friends  :)

i wish to share the information posted by our forum memeber_

Fouquieria (Ron) on his method of germination of the following seeds..of Nubiean desert palm & Mayotee Bismarkia(i think its the green form).since iam collecting all info on seed germination under one header,i thought Ron's method should be added in this thread for future references...

'I got eight seeds each of two different kinds less than a month ago.  The Medemia argun looked very fresh...six of eight have germinated.  The Mayotte Bismarckia looked old, like black walnuts.  I wasn't too optimistic.  Two of eight have germinated.

I didn't have the foggiest idea what I was doing.  I scrapped and washed off the soft Medemia coatings.  The Bismarckia was so hard, that I just scrapped off the ends until I could see the embryo.  I soaked the Medemia overnight and soaked the Bismarckia for three days.

I soaked some fine perlite in water and hydrogen peroxide and then filled a big, clear baggy with it.  Then I just put all the seeds in the baggy and set it on top of my computer monitor but not covering the heat vent.

I put the germinated seeds in two big, deep community pots in palm potting mix in a protected spot on my topmost balcony.  The spot gets good midday heat and some midday sun'.

We'll see what happens.

-Ron-

love conquers all..

43278.gif

New fresh seeds have come in from italy as gifts to me and iam shure those who are following this thread know who sent it !

And some of the seeds that have been taken up for the germination process are _

1.Archonto Phoenix Alexandrae(Palm)

2.Syagrus Romanzoffiana (Queen palm)

3.Thritrinax Compestris(Palm)

4.Araucariaaraucana(Cycas)

5.Brahea Edulis(Palm)

etc....

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif