IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Materials Need For Germination..

Kris

this still is long overdue for upload_it shows the grouth of the

Corypha Lecomteii..

And by the way those mesh seen in this still is to prevent the squrieals from damage.since all the corypha's love fresh air and warm & humid effect.that's easily avaliable in our outdoors.and they are all growing like Mad...

i will post those recently taken stills soon in comming days !

post-108-1190132158_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Well. I guess it was 7...

len-jubeas9-18-07006.jpg

len-jubeas9-18-07004.jpg

Now in liners with some "light mix" (mostly all my good stuff mixed together, with an edge towards perlite)

Maybe I'll update in a week or so.

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dear Bill  :)

those babies are terrefic and doing fine ! and thanks a lot for

feeling free to share those lovely stills & info !

lots of love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And here is a still of my favouriate Corypha Lecomteii_seeds courtesy Komikrit(Thailand).if you are a regular visiter to this post you would have seen me inseart a Corypha rooted seed into this barrel few months ago !

Now see how nice it has grown.and on it you will see the protection mesh placed to deter the squrieals from bitting it down.and also its being treated with pesticide powder form to safe guard it from ants & grass hopers !

Love,

post-108-1190531494_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Friends  :)

here is a link on Borassus flabellifer Seed Germination...

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Borassus/flabelliferB.html

Dear AliceHunter2000(David)_thanks a lot for this vital information on palmera seeds germination teqnick !

But i like the method disapproved by Phil Bergman..since that method is very close to what i see in here in the Plamera's growing in the wild in South India.mostly in clayee or coastal sandy soil..

If you are living in hot regions of the globe say zone 10 or 11.i will suggest you that once the seeds have germinated place these seeds gently burried in soil where they will be grown permenently..so no complication.

i had tried this variety 12 years back in a huge square cement pot one & half feet X one and half feet all sides.

the seeds germinated in sandy soil of that very pot placed in full sunlight and it did sprout after 6 or 7 months later and stayed there for 8 months before it dried up since the roots were searching for free space...what i understand here is that they cannot be container grown for long !

love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris,

Nice way of germinated palm seeds! I like your method en follow this treath every time, my method is completly different but i like your way so next year i'm going to try some seeds o your way.

Robbin

• Upvote 1

Southwest

Dear Robbin  :)

its nice to hear from you,its been a while that we spoke !

and i must tell you that the greatest gift asians have is our climate.hot summers & warm or mild cool winters,no snow or

frost ever ! so its very rewarding experience for all plant growers in this Sub-Continent..

And by the way you,kyle...are all blessed lot since you have love for the plants & gardening in very young age itself..at that age i really did not have time for all these things !

thanks & lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Kris,

Thanks for your a lot interesting pictures. I have not enough time to view all topic in this board and sorry if I miss any your reply on other topic. Your Corypha looked strong. Especially on big barrel.

I have many pictures of my own on small pot. They looked fine too. Hopefully I have time to post them later.

Good days.

Komkrit

• Upvote 1

Komkrit Yensirikul

Bangkok, Thailand /17C to 40C Avg32C /rain 4 months a year.

Hi Kris-

I enjoyed your pictures.

I have some Dictyosperma album "rubrum" putting out new seeds right now- very fresh, and I am sending some to a friend in Panama.. I will point her to this thread so she can see your methods.

If you are interested in any seeds from this palm (it is very attractive) let me know- I have plenty and will give them to you for free

I also have other varieties around

• Upvote 1

Dear Komikrit  :)

hai,its great to hear from you after a long gap ! but i must tell that our work should come first..

And yes the Corypha Lecomteii are all doing great,i shall rememeber you all my life for those lovely seeds that you sent me.

And if you have stills of seeds germination,feel free to use this thread since my varities in discussion are just common grown once..if you or anybody else have peculier varities or those that are not discussed in here,kindly add your knowledge of those seeds too.

since all that matters to me is will this thread help any one who wished to start seeds germination of his or her loved or admired palm varities...?

Lots of love to you my brother,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear heliconias  :)

first of all a warm & hearty welcome to you my friend.

secondly its very sweet of you to give me few seeds of that lovely variety.but in days to come i will be very bussy with

few personal work and i will not be in station often for a while so i wish to take those seeds next year at the same season..if stock is avaliable then.

kindly do not mistake me...since i do not wish to give then a step motherly treatment.fresh seeds needs fresh & active minds too..iam too busy to concentrate for a while in this area..at the moment.

And i like your attitude since not many will give their best to others_that's a really praise worthy gesture !

And it will be an honour for me to help & assist you & your friend,if you have any doubts on the above work...

thanks for visiting this thread,

lots of love to u,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(krisachar @ Sep. 26 2007,04:37)

Dear Friends  :)

here is a link on Borassus flabellifer Seed Germination...

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Borassus/flabelliferB.html

Dear AliceHunter2000(David)_thanks a lot for this vital information on palmera seeds germination teqnick !

But i like the method disapproved by Phil Bergman..since that method is very close to what i see in here in the Plamera's growing in the wild in South India.mostly in clayee or coastal sandy soil..

If you are living in hot regions of the globe say zone 10 or 11.i will suggest you that once the seeds have germinated place these seeds gently burried in soil where they will be grown permenently..so no complication.

i had tried this variety 12 years back in a huge square cement pot one & half feet X one and half feet all sides.

the seeds germinated in sandy soil of that very pot placed in full sunlight and it did sprout after 6 or 7 months later and stayed there for 8 months before it dried up since the roots were searching for free space...what i understand here is that they cannot be container grown for long !

love,

Kris.

Kris, I think that I will try to use your method up to a certain point. After that I will switch to Phil's technique.

You told me to purchase some large diameter PVC pipe and cut it into 3 ft. lengths. Put a cap on the bottom with drain holes and to fill the pipe with pure Perlite. Place the seed on top and flush water through every 3 days.

I think this may work great...great advice....The pure perlite will hopefully provide a good growing medium without any rot. The pipe will allow for good safe tight storage without damaging the radicle.

Where I might differ is the next step...........instead of waiting for the first leaf to work its way all the way back to the top. I might check periodically in the early spring to see if the radicle has received the endosperm (the bulge) If a bulge or endosperm is noted, I will pull apart the pipe and let the perlite gently fall away. Then I will plant the endosperm just below the surface in its final position.

My only concern is how to check for the "bulge". I guess I will have to take the cap off the bottom and let the perlite pour out. This should allow me to gently remove the seed and radicle without damage. I can then re-fill perlite around the radicle after placing it back into the pipe if it isn't ready.

Does this make sense? Kris? Phil? others? Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks, ............. and what a great thread Kris. Should be required reading for those new to germinating palms.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Dear David  :)

i like your approach...and i love people who improvise using various knowledge that they aquire from various source and take a very clear cut discission finally.

Iam keeping my fingers crossed in anticipation of the good news.

i must tell you that its a very sturdy palm and do not fear anything..i know that you will acheive your goal.i have no doubts about that.

And even i have put 2 seeds in 2 different square cement containers in pure course sandy soil in it.lets see where we go from here !  :)

thanks for the interaction,

lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

One more method that Mr.Rod(Rod)our memeber has pointed david to a useful link...

since this is more a kind of reasearch paper on germination i felt the need to add even that idea put fourth by our memeber Rod. And dear Rod thanks for the information & effort. :)

here's that useful link for all Borassus Flabelifer_Germinators !

http://plantapalm.com/vpe/horticulture/vpe_horticulture3.htm

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Now friends lets move to our topic...recently some lovely fresh seeds were sent to me my brother Gileno(Brazil) of Syagrus

Hybrids..and its details are seen in the stills that are going to come..

First of all my sinsiere thanks to Dear Gileno for sending fresh seeds for this thread...

Now lets see the details with illustrations,Shall We !  :D

I must say that the germination medium is kept constant for all the seeds discussed till now in this thread..its is coir dust or coir husk..usually avaliable for free or scrap in coir making units around the world.and the method is mere baggie bag using ZipLoc kind of plastic bags and the seeds to my knowledge germinated in less than 3 weeks but all did not germinate some are sleeping,they are also reused and kept in the same dark room with temperatures ranging from

86 to 88 degree farenheat !(this heat is provide by natural climate and not bottom heat derived by any electronic gadget...

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Inspite of our cleaning attempt the coir will still be sticking to the young saplings..so take that palm for a nice dip !

post-108-1192031203_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

see to it that the entire palm does not get submerged into that water,so try to hold the top leaf of that sapling...

post-108-1192031305_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

After allowing the sapling to air dry say 1 to 3 minutes for the excess water to dry,now take this sapling to a temperary

pot or container and fill with a nice porous medium,in my case i have my soil medium prepared...

post-108-1192031550_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And i fill the pot with the prepared soil medium,here is a still for you to see the texture of that potting soil..

post-108-1192031733_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now lets see the other Syagrus Hybrid seeds varities...for the variety names & info kindly see the writings on the baggie bags..

post-108-1192031936_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

After removing the sapling allow it to air dry gently..or else it might rot due to excess water in the roots due to socking..

post-108-1192033493_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

After filling the soil inside those plastic bottles the roots are drenched with mild dosage of Fungiscide with water.and they are taken indoor and place under a cealing fan to air dry the excess water and they remain indoors till a new leaf sprouts..

post-108-1192033811_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now those seeds that are still sleeping are reused by placing them in the same coir derived from the cut away baggie bag..

look at the illustrations below !

post-108-1192033991_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now take a new baggie bag and fill it up with the same coir dust and insert those sleeping seeds one by one into that medium as seen in the following stills..

post-108-1192034207_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

take a water-proof marker pen something similar to the one seen in the stills below and write what those seeds are on the baggie bags and even the number of reused seeds and its date on reuse ! and place them once again in that dark room and wait..

post-108-1192034510_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif