IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Materials Need For Germination..

Kris

Some good news about the washy Filifera's seed germination.

around a year ago when i was new to this site,i was telling memebers was it that difficult to grow the filifera's and at that

time Dave from So Cal mentioned not at all since it grows like

weeds in his place.that was a morale booster to buy seeds

from other sources since the first attempt only one sprouted

out of 40 seeds ?

now this time i imported 2 packs of 40 seeds each of this filifera and just about 20 seeds were tested for results..

see what i got in just 4 days of socking the seeds germinated in the water jar itself and i had placed those

seeds in moist coir dust and in just 1 weeks i was forced to

pot these babies in drinking water bottles,it works out cheap for me and i usually rip or tear out the container while repotting my plants..

here are the visuals for the benifit of memebers who plan to germinate these varities in their homes...

post-108-1186908631_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Another set of filiferas in another bagiee...see the visuals &

the close-up's were taken standing faraway from the object !

using the digital zoom in feature...

post-108-1186932561_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Okay now lets og to the opening cermoney,not the of the olympic games but our baggie bag containing washy filifera's..

and friends here are the visuals.... :) Bag No.1

post-108-1186987567_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

After gently removing the sprouts or palm saplings this is what is left out in the ripped off baggie bag.

and you can see the medium is just coir dust with perilite crystals used..

just in case some of the seeds are not germinated all i do is to reuse this medium by immedietly putting that medium into a

new baggie bag and wait.but see to it that this medium does not dry while reusing.

post-108-1186987935_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now friends lets take a look at the condition of the germinated sprouts of the Washingtonia Filifera Sp...

Samples are from Baggie Bag No.1

post-108-1186988151_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now i have put these sprouts into plastic bottles and filled with loose river sand with some coir fiber(dust).and mind you

i have place it right under the sun.no gestation or vacation to

take rest and grow in shade house.i have given the same treatment to CIDP'S,Bismarkia,Filibustas,Adsonia's etc.they are in test mode.not for cold hardy or laural hardy kind of test.this

test is to see what this palm's caliber is in terms of heat and

drought.and i have lost of seeds to spare for this test.

here are the visuals of the new saplings that i just place it..and i will give you updates on the same !

post-108-1187107721_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 weeks later...

these seeds are from our friend Gileano...they are Syagrus

Sp more details i will have to refer the parcel package...

i have never used bottom heat,heating trays or incubator but

only some help from nature since iam in zone 9 plus.. :D

temperatures that the room reached during germination is around 84 to 92 degrees farenheat.and its was raining intermittely.but the room was a dark room.no light or windows

in it.

germination took place in 3 weeks flat.out of 5 seeds tried 2 has germinated now..here are the visuals of it.and the method i used here is the baggie bag and the medium is coir dust alone..

So enjoy the visuals...

post-108-1188048377_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

now these germinated seeds are placed into the mineral water bottles,the soil is washed river sand with coir dust,

some organics,some amout of seaweed powder.but this combination of sand is placed in the bottom strata say around

2 inches from the base of the bottle.while the upper portion is filled with only corse riversand and coir powder only.

and flooded the pot with fungicide and then brought inside our house and placed under the celling fan to air dry the excess water poured...and i will post the stills if the spear becomes a leaf and its updated..

here is that visual_

post-108-1188049114_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Gene  :)

thanks for those sweet comments & i think that would give a charge like having taken couple of RED BULLS...

And iam glad you are following this thread closely !  :)

Lots of love to you,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here is a young sapling of Jubea x Butia rised from seeds_seeds courtesy our member M@ximus.

here are the visuals_

post-108-1188199946_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now lets see some stills of MED Fan ver.Cerifera..out of 5 seeds just one poped up after a sapn of 7 months in this baggie..

here is a still_

post-108-1188200672_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(eastern.nurseries @ Aug. 27 2007,05:58)

Kris, This thread is better than watching TV ....

Dear Jon  :)

Iam glad that you are regular here and are also enjoying the visuals..

And by the way even i stopped watching soaps & mega serials.... :D actaully i do not find time for all my regular pass times anymore.

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Friends Recently our memeber Luis Diego G.has started a lovely seeds germination thread and the visuals are stunning..

those who are intrested in seed germinating visuals kindly visit this thread !  :)

here is the Link _

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboar...t=ST;f=1;t=7013

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I have seen it, I have recorded it, I am READY TO TRY IT.

Now I just need the seeds. Going shopping.....

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Thanks Gina for visiting this thread... :) And my suggestion will be buy your palm seeds from reputed traders,better still from our foum memebrs who post fresh seeds avaliablility now and then in PLANTS & SEEDS FOR SALE / SWAP coloum.

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=SF;f=3

And Dear Dean thanks for the useful link in Palmpedia pertaining to palm seeds germination _

http://palmpedia.net/wiki/index.php/A_Prim...ting_Palm_Seeds

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

That's good advice, Kris, but I am not sure anyone will have some of th eones I want!!!!

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Dear Friends  :)

lets see the seeds germination process of seeds sent to me by KamiPalms(Jason) as gifts and here are the stills of it.

the seeds are of Chamaedorea Radicalis Std form..

And whenever practising this baggie method never ever put seeds more that 5 to 6 in a baggie pouch..keep that thing in our mind !

post-108-1190045466_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now what i did to the content was to remove gently and put the entire coir mass in a tub of water.and waited for those young sprouts to float and seperate itself without me using any force.then i placed then in a tray to air dry excess water in them.say to about 5 to 10 minutes will do and do not use sunlight or heat to dry these young sprouts..

post-108-1190045988_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now to the planting process or puting them into container for their middle period of grouth(temperary home)...here are the stills and the medium is loose washed river sand with coir dust the ratio is 3:1.but based on our countries humidity levels and heat you can increase the coir dust level in the ratio.

But my request to you will be to use coco peat & perilite,i do not have accesses to these medium in india at the moment..so have to be conteneted with my medium_

post-108-1190046308_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Did anybody identify what it is seeing its root size ? okay i will tell you its one of my very favouriate palm of all times....the

Talipot palms.this one germinated after a span of 6 to 7 months.so what iam telling is never disturb the medium or even throw the seeds.but usually rotted,fungus affected or floating seeds in palms are usually goner...other than that one cannot predict the actual timming of seed germination of seeds imported from online seed traders.

And a coin is place for seed size comparision !

post-108-1190047184_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And now as i said,with my potting medium i placed this above seen seed into a plastic container bottle and placed the seed gently_partly visible & partly submerged.

And since iam having problems with Squrieals i took the necessary steps as advised by my friends_clayton york & Ron.

the mesh is a basic construction based material that was used to cover the mouth of this bottle for protection to the seed & the sprout !

post-108-1190047567_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I am not sure why I kept missing this thread over the last 6 months, but I just read it now. This is oneof the better threads I have read here. Good work. :)

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Kris- I have read little "snippets" of this thread, but didn't stay tuned as I only had "two" sets of seeds. Jubeas that I picked off the ground 30 miles from here and Pogobobs "Abre Ojos".   I only cleaned and put in tupperware tubs with peat and pearlite about 6-8 months ago. No cracking or nothin. I stopped looking a while back, but just looked yesterday, it looks like I have 8-9 Jubea seeds germinated. My first!!!  :D I'll try for pics soon.

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dear Bill  :)

that's really good news of the day and as i often mentioned fresh seeds are must.and no special teqnicks are required.

and patience is a must.rest of the work is taken care my mother nature itself !

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(LJG @ Sep. 17 2007,13:01)

I just read it now. This is oneof the better threads I have read here. Good work. :)

Dear Len  :)

thanks a lot for your compliments ! since these sweet words what gives me strength to do things better in future..

lots of love to you,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear friends i wish to share a still of a germinated cycas revoulta seed,the medium used is mild moist perilite warm dark room_that's it.

here is the visual !

post-108-1190131690_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif