IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Materials Need For Germination..

Kris

Dear Friends some good news a week a go i received a parcel of the Corypha Lecomteii fresh seeds from thailand sent to

me by Komikrit(Redvdox).

those seeds were placed in moist cocopeat and left in dark room temp of the room was around 90 to 94 farenheat approx

and around 3 days back when i went in i saw a long white

worn like structure,on examination i found it was the thick

nylon kind of roots from the huge seeds. :)

here are the visuals for you...

post-108-1182612996_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And the thought for the day is _ " FRESH SEEDS ARE A MUST

FOR HAPPY GERMINATION ! "

I hope that all our memebrs who trade in seeds & grown up

palms & cycas should also accept orders internationally and

should accept international credit cards payable via PAYPAL

account.its very very easy and more or less helpful in procuring fresh hand picked seeds quickly from the main source seed dealers. So friends think about it..their is a big

global market to tap.all that is needed is traders should also

go hi-tech..

Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Friends  :)

here are some visuals of the Corypha Lecomtei seeds from

Thailand.i have puts these seeds in different mediums just

to make shure that all seeds do not conck off due to Damp-

Off !

here are the stills of one method !

post-108-1183528569_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And now for a change i used the regular method that i use often for bismarkia's.i.e i placed this C.L seed into a huge

barrel so that the roots can grow deep instead of a 2 liter

water bottle or deep root trainers.and its gently raining

at present at my place and the outside temperatures have gone down to 82 to 84 degree farenheat from the initial

96 to 104 degree farenheat.

here are the visuals...

post-108-1183528909_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I LOVE this thread. very Very educational.  Particularly because I am experimenting with seeds myself at the moment.

• Upvote 1

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Dear Gene Barcelona  :)

hey thanks for visiting and keying in your comments my friend.

i request you to get seeds from abroad only from known source either from our memebers, your friends and relatives living abroad,ask them to collect seeds from reliable sources.

since if you get a batch of old dried-up seeds its not worth the effort...and in most occassions its fustrating.as i had a very bad experience with washy filifers seeds 40 numbers only one germinated.this was purschased from online seeds dealers.

and have an international credit card to make payments through paypal kind of transactions.or make the payment

in cheque through your friends & relatives living there !

i wish even you should start a thread on various palms that you are going to try and its reasults..

wish you all the best with those seeds & the saplings that

has come bareroot to you. :)

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris  since I only started with palms about 2 months ago the seeds that I ordered then are just beginning to sprout now.  

The next step is potting them  and this thread will again prove very helpful for that.

I have so many questions as to what stage in the sprouting is it best to pot the seed/seedling .  What is the best potting mediun to use?  How much sun exposure?  What are the comon problems for seedling ? etc...ec...etc...

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

(Gbarce @ Jul. 09 2007,11:47)

Kris  since I only started with palms about 2 months ago the seeds that I ordered then are just beginning to sprout now.  

The next step is potting them  and this thread will again prove very helpful for that.

I have so many questions as to what stage in the sprouting is it best to pot the seed/seedling .  What is the best potting mediun to use?  How much sun exposure?  What are the comon problems for seedling ? etc...ec...etc...

Dear Gene  :)

You are very lucky to have joined this forum and it seems that

you are more coutious in your work methodology_that's a

great plus point to good gardening procudures.but my first

batch of seeds all were lost since i just put them in pot and

placed it under summer sun.result the CIDP's Dates & bismarkia all germinated temperatures was around 92 to 104

degrees farenheat.

but later after joining this forum i was adviced by few respected members to try either the baggiee method or the

closed box method.if the seeds are fresh i have no germination problem what so ever !

potting should be undertaken when the sprouts are trying to become green in colour and the roots are getting full and

tangled with one another.for our asian ocenaic  climate sooner the better,since we do not have here dry air and cool climate.so the more the late you do the chances of

transpot shock kind of effect will be more evident..

hey if you have accesses to cocopeat and perilite kind of

materials prepare a porous medium first that is the intermidieate stage(Small pots or containers).then when the

roots fill-up go for the ordinary soil mix having washed river sand,mulch fromed from old dried leaves,organics in 4 is to one ratio(here one refers to organics)and farm yard manure

in my case i use the dried powdery cowdung mannure.

mix these items well and place it in full sunlight.and allow it to dry and later moisten it using sprinklers and turn the medium upside down.then allow it dry for few days try the

same thing again.when you near month period of this

schedule the soil will look very different.and at that stage add one tea's spoon of Di-Amonium Sulphate in granulated

form and mix it well.and leave the mixture like that for

few weeks.and when you are ready with the potting work

moisten the mix one or 2 day before using it.

and to this kind of repotting only in dry cooler months and not in rainy season or summers.

i will post those sequence of stills for you soon...

and the common problems that i face regularly is squriels

cutting of the sprouts now and then leading to the death of

my young plants,the place where i live is the relative humidity is around 78 to 82 percent avg.but on rainy days

this shoots up to 94 percent humidity at that time many of the desert palm catagoey kind of plants all die due to

root rot and damp-off ! inspite of me treating them with

fungicides.

and i do not have shade house on top terrace.so all plants are in my bed room area.the water used in plants dont dry at all and i have tried to dry them using even cealing fans.

but no use..

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thanks.  In another post the general advice was also to plant the seed seperately as soon as the root pops out.  I will do that with one of the seeds tonight and the rest during the weekend.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Some news...

the Corypha Lecomteii seeds have put long roots  in the plastic containers they were kept in ! but no spear sprouts

seen even after a month or so ? Komikrit how long will it

take to see some green sprouts in these varities ?

here are the visuals...

post-108-1184656836_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris,

I salute the effort you take to post these great pictures of seeds that are germinating.

Your enthusiasm is contagious and your spirit to experiment amazing. Your willingness to share information - of successes and failures alike - is commendable.

I wish more of us could learn and/or inherit some of your qualities. I am guilty as charged - when it comes to this. I probably have over 100,000 seeds germinating - of over 50 species - but i never take the time to post pictures or info. Of course, my most convenient excuse is time - which is true. But i am hoping that one of these days - i can just go around my place shooting pictures non-stop. I might just do that one of these days.

My guilt apart - thanks to your post - more people learn the good, bad and the ugly about seeds and the various germination techniques that you employ.

You rock dude!!! You really do!!!!

Folks - before you have any funny thoughts - I do not remember having sold  any seeds to Kris - and hence have no reason to praise/patronize him at all. Any praises are due - purely for his efforts and enthusiasm.

• Upvote 1

joseph

www.ortanique.com

SF Bay Area, CA

Dear Joseph  :)

first of all a big thanks for taking some time to keyin your

comments.and also for assuring us all that you will also

post some of the stills from your germination beds !  :)

and i suppose we all know how bussy you are with your

work,so feeling guilty is not at all necessary.

and as for seeds i usually buy from sites who ship internationally & also accept orders & payments from paypal

& international credit cards.and i buy only in small packets for

my personal use.and iam not a proffesssional nursery guy.

and i consider it a honour to hear some thing good from

proffessionals like you.i suppose i would consider it a

feather in my hat. :)

Lots of love to you,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(Ortanique @ Jul. 18 2007,01:48)

Kris,

I salute the effort you take to post these great pictures of seeds that are germinating.

Your enthusiasm is contagious and your spirit to experiment amazing. Your willingness to share information - of successes and failures alike - is commendable.

I wish more of us could learn and/or inherit some of your qualities. I am guilty as charged - when it comes to this. I probably have over 100,000 seeds germinating - of over 50 species - but i never take the time to post pictures or info. Of course, my most convenient excuse is time - which is true. But i am hoping that one of these days - i can just go around my place shooting pictures non-stop. I might just do that one of these days.

My guilt apart - thanks to your post - more people learn the good, bad and the ugly about seeds and the various germination techniques that you employ.

You rock dude!!! You really do!!!!

Folks - before you have any funny thoughts - I do not remember having sold  any seeds to Kris - and hence have no reason to praise/patronize him at all. Any praises are due - purely for his efforts and enthusiasm.

Hi ALL

I second that last statement from Joseph! its very well said and totally true well done Kris!!!! There should more of you out there! :)

One only has to look at the amount of posts and see that Kris will be over taking people like Bo and Jeff very soon in the amount of posts!! :o

Ps I’ve been meaning to list a photo for you Kris of Phoenix roebelenii var Robertii a clumping form of Phoenix roebelenii from Thailand, I will take some photos in the next day or so for you, all the best Kris also as soon as I get those photos of the Corypha macropoda I will list them as well. :)

Clayton.

• Upvote 1

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Dear Clayton  :)

thanks for the sweet comments & encouragement.. :)

and yes i will love to see those phoenix & corypha stills_ i

wish to feast my eyes seeing those beauties...

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

here is a still of a one month old jubea ! and many had germinated though,but in many occasion they were all

bitten by squrieals.

and waht i noticed is they grow fast and love tropical,humid,

wet coastal climate of our but no damping-off or root rot

problems but when i take this palnt out for open sunlight,

they turn green and healthy the following day i see them

cropped from the stem section.

though clayton had given suggestion on how to get the

mesh like of protection,but i really did not have time to sit

and fabricate it with a help of a black's smith.so iam paying

heavy price for it.

here is a still of that jubea raised from the seeds..

post-108-1184830837_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Now to the same jubea which is placed in drinking mineral water bottle ! this is the cheapiest & easiest option that i

resort to...

post-108-1184830970_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hi kris

Here is that photo of Phoenix roebelenii var Robertii it’s not that clear I will trim it up tomorrow and take a better photo the only reason I had the chance to take this photo today was because the dogs found a rat living near this palm in a roll of “agricultural pipe” and had dragged it through and around this palm, I will put a photo of the dogs with the roll of pipe in the off topic on pets!

post-592-1184833112_thumb.jpg

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Dear Clayton  :)

thanks for the still and its a beauty.but iam still in glare from seeing some stills of CIDP posted by our memeber Xerophyte NYC on spain in the travelogues section !  :D

and your pets are lovely,i have keyed my opnions about it in the pets thread...

thanks & Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear friends  :)

about 4 months back i got 10 seeds of TaliPot Palms from RPS,

and a week ago in one of the baggie bags their was a huge

sprout.in that very same bag the other seed to germinated but i failed to notice,so while removing the visible germinated one,damaged the other one.

so be very carefull or better still cut open the bag and work

through the germinated seed.

i placed it in a plastic bottle,just a 4 to 5 days the roots were out of the bottle ! so fast it sends roots in search of the ground soil.

here is a still of it.the soil medium is just washed river soil,

course texture for easy & quick water drainage..

and by the way the rest of the 8 seeds are all still sleeping..

her are the visuals for you..

post-108-1184912147_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here is the still of the Talipot palms Sprout..very fast grower

as according to my observation...

post-108-1184912306_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And i think you folks all would have noticed that i have covered the top portion of these bottles with metal mesh,this idea was given to me by Utopia Palms(Clayton York).when i was discussion about squrriel menace in our house garden.

i was a bit lazy to implement this quickly but the casualities were very severe,many palms & cycas sprouts were bitten apart and also they perished..most were jubea's,Butia's..

the solution seems very easy and simple..

that mesh i used here is the one commonly used in the construction industry for concreticing kitchen slabs,roof-top

sunshades,and its very cheap per meter.once it gets rusted

its thrown-away.so it does not block our living space as waste once their work is over !

here is the still of the sprout with that mesh cover for protection..

post-108-1184913116_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

New Seeds From Brazil have been put in the socking Jar.i have

not used flask,mainly this time many seeds are there waiting.and the atmosphere is warm and the air & water is also warm.

the seeds seen in the still here are _

Phoenicophorium Borsigianum .

post-108-1185032398_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

this seeds also came to me from our forum friend who is in

Brazil.

And the variety is..Syagrus Hybrid (Sp) Arcoverde.

post-108-1185032733_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

yes this one too from brazil...

The variety is Syagrus Schizophylla 'Bahia'...

post-108-1185032838_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And as and when they germinate i will notify the regulars of this post and also give you visauls of stage by stage workings

upto the sprouting stage...and we shall clock this one !

thanks for visiting and also tolerating my funny explainations..  :D

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I found this intresting link,thought i must share with you friends..

this site deals with all germination problems,soil temperatures,poting medium for all plants lined up in alphabitical order...

here is that link :-

http://tomclothier.hort.net/index.html

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dear Friends  :)

As you all know that iam a fan of the washy filifera fan palm.

but last year i purschased a 40 seeds in one pack from an

online seeds company.and only one germinated then.and that is a very healthy specimen though.but rest are still in baggie bags.

so this year once again i bought 2 packs of washy.F seeds from rareseedsource.com/ theonly problem with this guys is they do not ship internationally.so i requested my indian friend working in the u.s.a as a software engineer to buy and keep these seeds and bring them along with some sabal palmeetos.

to my surprise after he purschased these seeds he had to visit india immedietly.so it was delivered to me very quickly.

and i socked around 20 seeds of which i got 90% germination in the socking tray it self ! see the visuals..

and here is the link for the site,for new commers to know how a washy Filifera's look.and this site gave me gift seeds

of phoenix rubiellini and guess what CIDP's one pack in each.

http://www.rareseedsource.com/proddetail.p...ifera&cat=6

post-108-1185432955_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

this time around just for fun i tried to germinate the Borossus.F_Palmera seeds using the baggie method...

and the temperatures here this time is preety flacuating due to in consistent rains now & then.but the average temperature was aroung 82 to 88 degrees farenheat for say 3 weeks or so...

take a look at the visuals...

post-108-1186673094_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

now a still of both the Jamboo seeds(Palmera tree) to gather...

i hope that some could play a cd of frank sinisatra & nancy

for these 2.

And by the way their is a peculierity of these seeds i hope the

palmera fans notice it.i was stunned at first instance,since iam the one who skinns these guys hairs...can you find it !

here is a still with a coin for comparision !

post-108-1186673713_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif