IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

An early start ..to an interesting Summer ahead??

Silas_Sancona

Texas flooding and record rainfall.. a coolish and moist pattern back in CA/AZ over the past several weeks.

A Hot/ record breaking Spring, and early start to our typical summer rainfall pattern here in Florida.. and TWO record Hurricanes already in the E. Pac.( Blanca likely to reach Cat. 5 sometime tonight/ early tomorrow) What lies a head.

Some thoughts i have: ** Keep in mind, these are just thoughts.. this isn't anything official. Ponder with a "Grain-of Salt".**

Expecting a VERY active Hurricane season with enhanced chances for remnant moisture surges into CA and the Southwest. Quite concerned about the potential for Lightning-sparked Fires this year. Could this be a year something tropical "makes it" to San Diego, or the coastal waters of ''?? Unlikely.. but there's a lot of warm.. warm water around this year.

50/50 on how the Monsoon evolves. Usually a wet spring in the Southern Plains aids in moisture transport to help fuel to an active SW Monsoon but if it stays wet in Texas and Oklahoma all summer, the monsoon may be dry.. Moisture from the E. Pac is a potential wildcard.

Thinking heat will return over the west coast and lock itself in. Could also see a few extra muggy " Earthquake Weather " days than normal out there.

Pretty sure we here in Florida are in for a long, and hot summer.. Question will be will the rain be consistent or could an early wet start end quite dry. We'll see.

While pretty much everyone is calling for a quiet Hurricane season on our side of the fence, we all know it only takes one.. as in '92. Gulf is a bit warmer than normal atm. As always, Be ready, just in case.

As for a major player in the weather patterns this Summer.. 50/50 on what may happen. The massive rains Texas has experienced are perhaps a calling card of El Nino but, like last year, any hope of a Drought Buster for CA and the Southwest next Winter is still up in the air. At one point, the suggested peak of a potential ENSO hit +3.1 per suggested forecasts awhile back. They have since settled back to around +2.0. All models/forecasts i have seen to date look good but have backed off a bit.

All i can say is keep doing what ever you choose to bring an end to the Drought. I really don't want to see CA enter year 5.

-Nathan

Crazy rain here too. Had to spear pulls already and a few smaller plants kick the bucket. Too much of a good thing is often a bad thing.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Summer Rainfall would be really interesting here in CA but as stated above lighting and fires could be quite problematic.

The news was just reporting that around Placerville in the Sierras it was raining 3 inches per hour and their traffic tracking was showing cars not moving, suggesting it was raining so hard people couldn't see so stopped. Big time thunderstorm in that area not usually seen in June. And more rain expected in the sierras rest of this weekend. It was overcast and cool all morning and doesn't sound like the rain pattern will touch us here. We could use it. Our yard guy email us to tell us our grass was dying and maybe we wanted to increase our irrigation times (guess he wants to have a yard to cut).

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Here in Livermore there was an odd pattern for a few weeks as well (sadly it didn't produce any rain). But the last week it's been back to a more typical inland pattern mid to high 80's and blistering sun.

Current outlook:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.668%2C-121.785&sp=KCALIVER58&MR=1