Danilopez89

Is this a coconut or am I dreaming?

Pando

Here's a pic and the threads (Mark's coconut, in Oceanside?). I have no idea how it looks now (this is from 2010), perhaps someone here knows if it's still alive:

post-27-1283828232925_thumb.jpg

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/13544-well-the-funniest-thing-happened/

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/25082-updates-on-coconut-palms-in-california/page-3

Matt in OC

Mark's coconut is no longer, but has been replaced by a killer D. pembana!

DoomsDave

And

Mark's coconut is no longer, but has been replaced by a killer D. pembana!

We're on a quest on a quest on a quest . . . .

11163965_ori.jpg

Mr. Coconut Palm

Hey Guys,

Can any of you California coconut lovers find out where your Home Depots get their coconut palms from? I am curios where they are grown and if possible try to find out the source of the seed nuts. Only certified disease resistant Malayan Dwarf and Maypan seed nuts may be imported from either the Costa Rican Coconut Board or the Jamaican Coconut Board. Here in Texas, nurseries and garden centers are not allowed to get any sprouted nuts from Florida due to the coconut Lethal Yellowing coconut palm quarantine in Florida, so the ones sold here are either grown from nuts obtained officially from Costa Rica or Jamaica or from coconuts found on our beaches and sprouted here. I suspicion some are brought in from Florida without official permission in the front of large trailers that make it past the inspectors if coconut palms are not listed on the shipping manifest. Then of course many people bring small coconut palms from Florida bought at nurseries and big box stores over there in the back of their personal cars.

John

Danilopez89

Hey Guys,Can any of you California coconut lovers find out where your Home Depots get their coconut palms from? I am curios where they are grown and if possible try to find out the source of the seed nuts. Only certified disease resistant Malayan Dwarf and Maypan seed nuts may be imported from either the Costa Rican Coconut Board or the Jamaican Coconut Board. Here in Texas, nurseries and garden centers are not allowed to get any sprouted nuts from Florida due to the coconut Lethal Yellowing coconut palm quarantine in Florida, so the ones sold here are either grown from nuts obtained officially from Costa Rica or Jamaica or from coconuts found on our beaches and sprouted here. I suspicion some are brought in from Florida without official permission in the front of large trailers that make it past the inspectors if coconut palms are not listed on the shipping manifest. Then of course many people bring small coconut palms from Florida bought at nurseries and big box stores over there in the back of their personal cars.John

I stopped by at Lowes on Tuesday. I met the lady who orders all the plants at that store. I asked her about the coconuts, they didn't have any in stock because it's kinda slow at the time. But she said she can order some anytime. "I can get you some next week" she said. I asked where they get their shipments from and she said most likely from Hawaii or Florida.

Coconutman

In Sacramento,I usually see them stock up on coconuts before summer in HD.We usually have the cold hardy palms like butia, queens, washies, CIDP, some archontophoenix and raveneas.

Brad Mondel

I worked for HD in South Carolina and the cocos shipped to my store were from costa in Florida.

sarasota alex

This thread has been an emotional roller-coaster. Haven't visited the forum in a while and now - this!

sarasota alex

Del Mar Coconut on December 26 of 2015

post-3501-0-03589900-1437370091_thumb.jp

displaced_floridian

It looks like it may not make it that long

Coconutman

Whoa, that Del mar coconut is from the future? JK :) you mean 2014...Right?

sarasota alex

Whoa, that Del mar coconut is from the future? JK :) you mean 2014...Right?

Oops. Actually February 26, 2015. It was late and I hallucinated a 1 in front of 2/26/2015 :)

DoomsDave

Hey Guys,Can any of you California coconut lovers find out where your Home Depots get their coconut palms from? I am curios where they are grown and if possible try to find out the source of the seed nuts. Only certified disease resistant Malayan Dwarf and Maypan seed nuts may be imported from either the Costa Rican Coconut Board or the Jamaican Coconut Board. Here in Texas, nurseries and garden centers are not allowed to get any sprouted nuts from Florida due to the coconut Lethal Yellowing coconut palm quarantine in Florida, so the ones sold here are either grown from nuts obtained officially from Costa Rica or Jamaica or from coconuts found on our beaches and sprouted here. I suspicion some are brought in from Florida without official permission in the front of large trailers that make it past the inspectors if coconut palms are not listed on the shipping manifest. Then of course many people bring small coconut palms from Florida bought at nurseries and big box stores over there in the back of their personal cars.John

I stopped by at Lowes on Tuesday. I met the lady who orders all the plants at that store. I asked her about the coconuts, they didn't have any in stock because it's kinda slow at the time. But she said she can order some anytime. "I can get you some next week" she said. I asked where they get their shipments from and she said most likely from Hawaii or Florida.

Ah, good.

This suggests that there are likely to be some other coconuts out there, hopefully in safer places than the one that got cut down . . .

Looks like the Cult of the Coconut is alive and well in the California low desert.

Pando

Yesterday there was one "Green" one (front) at San Marcos Home Depot among all the yellow ones. Looked like what I bought a few weeks ago.

IhBKQYr.jpg

Brad Mondel

I see a Washingtonia? 

Danilopez89

For some reason my text wasn't responding when I uploaded the pic:bemused:. It's the palm in the middle, right under the big washie to the right.  My pics always suck so you guys probably can't see it either way.:P

Danilopez89

IMG_20150921_54768.thumb.jpg.0e50e28fcd5Okay this was as close as I could get to take a pic. I knocked on the door but nobody answered. 

Edited by Danilopez89

Pando

Hmmm....

IMG_20150921_54768_jpg_70e3c49de15c9ec37

Edited by Pando

Danilopez89

IMG_20150921_53658.thumb.jpg.64f6451ccabthey had a big bizzie In the front and from what i saw I can tell they love plants. 

Josh-O

Hmmmmmmm

Palmaceae

IMG_20150921_54768.thumb.jpg.0e50e28fcd5Okay this was as close as I could get to take a pic. I knocked on the door but nobody answered. 

Can't tell what it is but it is definitely not a coconut, but nice yard!

Stelios

Hmmm....

It looks like roystonea, maybe regia.

Danilopez89

Hmmm....

Looking at these pics I would guess roystonea too but it just didnt look like a royal to me, at least not from what I was able to see. 

If it's not a royal then it has to be a coconut...

Palmaceae

Hmmm....

Looking at these pics I would guess roystonea too but it just didnt look like a royal to me, at least not from what I was able to see. 

Hmmm....

Again, it is not a coconut, don't look like a royal either. To me it looks like a Jubaea or Butia/Syagrus hybrid.

DoomsDave

Whoa and the hunt continues.

Danilopez89

Whoa and the hunt continues.

Yes Dave! I'm still hunting. 

I've actually had my eye on this one for a while now. I drive by here twice a week and I clean a pool a few houses down. I had previously dismissed it as a young queen but yesterday was very cloudy and it just looked different. Like a coconut... :o

Danilopez89

Why is it "definitely not a coconut"? What gives it away? 

Palmaceae

Why is it "definitely not a coconut"? What gives it away? 

You can tell by the fronds and the shape of the fronds and leaflets, I know the picture is not too clear but it is definitely not a coconut.  I live in an area where coconuts are very common, I have 11 in my yard.  To me it looks like a Jubaea or something similar.

Edited by Palmaceae

DoomsDave

Danny, hate to say it but I agree with Palmacae on this one. Coconut leaves are a bit "messier" looking; that palm, whatever it is, appears too neat and tidy.

But

keep on the quest . . . .

"What is your favorite palm?"

"Coconut!"

"Step right on through . . . "

Danilopez89

IMG_20150922_30658.thumb.jpg.ce410811412I still think it might be a coconut.:bemused: lol

Here's another pic I took from another side of the yard. Its a half opened frond.

Danilopez89

You need one of these:

huge-lens.jpg

LOL! 

Sandy Loam

Everyone, stay tuned for the suspense.  This story will continue with someone answering the door and then...... 

Ben in Norcal

I'm guessing x montgomeryana

kylecawazafla

I think it's an Attalea…. I hope you find another coconut! I can't believe that other one was chopped down. It makes me so sad! :( 

Danilopez89

I think it's an Attalea…. I hope you find another coconut! I can't believe that other one was chopped down. It makes me so sad! :( 

After several attempts of knocking on the door and no answer I decided to try and get a better look at this palm. Turns out its just a regular ol Attalea. And not a unicorn coconut palm. Lol:winkie:

IMG_20151008_51947.thumb.jpg.72dac8fcd74

Pando

So basically, it's a cocoNOT.  :mrlooney: