IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this a coconut or am I dreaming?

Danilopez89

Attalea are still fairly rare in California, aren't they? 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Attalea are still fairly rare in California, aren't they? 

Yeah they are rare. And I think this one might be more rare because it didn't look like Attalea Cohune. But I dont know for sure. It just looked different to me and has a brighter green color to it. I was just trying to make a funny by saying its just a "regular ol attalea" :D

Attalea Cohune are not common at all. The seed are a nightmare to germinate. The one in your picture Danny is very old for California standards.I have one a couple feet smaller in the "Vista" garden and it nearly 15 yrs old. that's pretty darn slow for a small palm. I would highly recommend you growing this for your garden. They are a home run palm for the desert.:greenthumb:

Cheers

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Attalea Cohune are not common at all. The seed are a nightmare to germinate. The one in your picture Danny is very old for California standards.I have one a couple feet smaller in the "Vista" garden and it nearly 15 yrs old. that's pretty darn slow for a small palm. I would highly recommend you growing this for your garden. They are a home run palm for the desert.:greenthumb:

Cheers

Yeah Attaleas are definitely not common at all. But from what I was told and what I have seen online Attalea Cohune is the most common. And the easiest to find. I bought a 15g size and it wasn't cheap. I was also able to buy a baby Attalea along with the purchase of the big one. It so cute!:wub:

Yeah Josh I think they are a real homerun for the desert. They seem to like the heat. I've been watering them a lot and they like it. 

Attaleas are a tough grow for us on the Coast . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

when they get big they are sure worth the wait.

here is a picture of mine. it's about 8' tall

attalea_cohune.thumb.jpeg.10280f91e71726

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

when they get big they are sure worth the wait.

here is a picture of mine. it's about 8' tall

attalea_cohune.thumb.jpeg.10280f91e71726

What size container was it growing in before planting? 20g? 

Since you guys are posting about Attalea I thought I would post a picture of mine.  I bought this in July 2010 as Attalea Geraensis as a small 7 gallon plant.  This picture is from May of this year (I'm not home to take an updated one) and it was over 13 feet tall and growing quite a bit with each new leaf.  This has seen temperatures between 29 and 110 and has never spotted from cold or heat.  PS.  It's not actually as close to that back fence as it appears in the picture! 

IMG_5209.thumb.JPG.a9ba36cbba9e33e062099

Edited by Fallbrook Jason
  • Upvote 3

Since you guys are posting about Attalea I thought I would post a picture of mine.  I bought this in July 2010 as Attalea Geraensis as a small 7 gallon plant.  This picture is from May of this year (I'm not home to take an updated one) and it was over 13 feet tall and growing quite a bit with each new leaf.  This has seen temperatures between 29 and 110 and has never spotted from cold or heat.  PS.  It's not actually as close to that back fence as it appears in the picture! 

perfectly grown might I say :) 

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Looks great. I love it. It's so different from other attaleas. 

If you click on the image to enlarge it just looks even better! So joocy :drool:

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't this one in La Quinta look interesting?

cocomaybe.thumb.jpg.42a95a750a386302481f

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6767357,-116.3089495,3a,15.2y,253.43h,84.63t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sKtWV71PEy_6ZnqnQx2yoqA!2e0!5s20120101T000000!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Hard to see this in all the blurriness, but perhaps Danny could drive by - coconut or coconot?  :)

Whatever it is, it's slow, because from 2007-2012 streetview images it hasn't grow much. The leaves look kind of flat though, so maybe it's Ravenea rivularis?

Edited by Pando

I just realized I have a picture of this Attalea! This thing is getting massive!

rps20150926_181308.jpg

• Upvote 2

Doesn't this one in La Quinta look interesting?

cocomaybe.thumb.jpg.42a95a750a386302481f

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6767357,-116.3089495,3a,15.2y,253.43h,84.63t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sKtWV71PEy_6ZnqnQx2yoqA!2e0!5s20120101T000000!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Hard to see this in all the blurriness, but perhaps Danny could drive by - coconut or coconot?  :)

Whatever it is, it's slow, because from 2007-2012 streetview images it hasn't grow much. The leaves look kind of flat though, so maybe it's Ravenea rivularis?

hard to tell but looking at different angles it could be Ravnaea. It looks yellow and unhappy that's for sure.

rps20151029_222106.jpg

• Upvote 1

I just realized I have a picture of this Attalea! This thing is getting massive!

rps20150926_181308.jpg

cool, thanks Chris. I'm looking forward to finally being home and seeing my yard in a couple weeks!

lol... all this coco in California business... Getting queens to grow in the FL Panhandle would be the equivalent. When I was a new palm enthusiast several years ago I would scout out neighborhoods and watch for them. So many newly planted ones died on their first or second winter. Was uber-thrilled spotting a fully mature queen in someone's backyard in a neighborhood that was a slight microclimate. That thrill of excitement discovering something so rare was unforgettable (much like your Palm Desert coco)  It was so gorgeous and might as well have been a coconut- it looked SO TROPICAL with rich, green, drooping fronds looming about 25 feet above the landscape of mundane, typical zone 8 vegetation. I held my breath when we had a freeze in the low 20's, and while smaller one's died, I was amazed this one looked untouched. I speculated if it was a more cold hardy strain. I looked for it everytime we drove by. It even pulled through the 2010 freeze during which it must have endured around 20 degrees. Unfortunately, the polar vortex winter in 2014 killed it- although by that time I wasn't driving by it anymore. I recently confirmed its death on Google Streetview. It was one healthy and vigorous sucker. Soon (and when I can post pictures) I will include pictures in another blog post.

• 2 weeks later...

Why does it look so coconutty? What is it? I've been driving by here for years now and today was the first time I realized it wasn't a regular queen palm :mellow:

IMG_20151109_46543.thumb.jpg.579d3e0a30a

• Upvote 1

JYA!

MULE!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So what the consensus on how cool hardy a coconut is. If I have repeated lows in the low 40s will they croak?  Let's say 42F at night, 60F during the day

Edited by enigma99

• 1 year later...

Are these mature coconut trees growing in Dana Point, California?  (See photo below)

EM07529_32486E_Marriott_T1_FooterHero_051217_14e60960.jpg

1 hour ago, Sandy Loam said:

Are these mature coconut trees growing in Dana Point, California?  (See photo below)

EM07529_32486E_Marriott_T1_FooterHero_051217_14e60960.jpg

Looks like archontophoenix to me?

• Upvote 1

Oh yeah, if I strain my eyes, I might be able to see a crownshaft on those trees.  My mistake.

• 4 months later...

Reviewing  weather underground La Quinta, California temperatures for January 2007 I found the following: 

(1)-12 days with low temperatures below freezing;and

(2)- from January 11, 2007 to January 21, 2007 the maximum and minimum temperatures were as follows: 69/35, 55/27,52/25,52/18,59/20,64/26,60/17,69/33,58/34,57/27,64/30; and

(3)- while there is no doubt that the winter of 2007 was extremely cold, the remainder of low temperatures continued in the high 30s and low 40s throughout the month.

No area in Florida could successfully grow coconut palms with temperatures of this nature. I recall that the La Quinta coconut was butchered but it’s trunk was mature at the time of the pictures in 2015. Perhaps that coconut was a mature palm that was replanted in La Quinta. The other palms pictured were far less mature but appeared to be surviving but perhaps not thriving by Florida standards.

To my knowledge, the desert region has not experienced similar cold compared to the 2007 arctic incursion recently.  That stated, successive lows in the low 20s and teens or simply not conducive to long-term Cocos nucifera culture. It seems most likely to me that the most likely areas for long-term success with Cocos nucifera would be not so much in the desert but rather in those areas with heat close but outside the marine influence where the Newport Beach coconut survived for many years. Just my two cents but the temperatures experienced with low 20 and 18 and 17 degree nights could never allow survival long-term in that climate, microclimates notwithstanding.

What you look for is what is looking

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017‎ ‎9‎:‎53‎:‎51‎, bubba said:

I recall that the La Quinta coconut was butchered but it’s trunk was mature at the time of the pictures in 2015. Perhaps that coconut was a mature palm that was replanted in La Quinta. The other palms pictured were far less mature but appeared to be surviving but perhaps not thriving by Florida standards.

The one in Palm Desert was cut. The La Quinta tree is alive and well. They were not replanted.

However, there is one in Corona that is the current record holder in terms of latitude. Other than a few more around Salton Sea I don't know of any others.

Edited by Pando

Last time i saw the Salton Sea coconuts they were looking really bad (compared to the first pictures shown here a while ago). I had the impression one or two had already disappeared from the plantation, but might be my imagination. I can't seem to find the topic anymore with the recent pictures.

• 10 months later...

I beleive some of those gandia temp stats are bogus. Like the record highs of jan feb and the record lows above zero. Not even malaga almunecar and almeria have record lows so high. Fake weather stats

On 6/6/2015, 9:08:01, Alicante said:

+1 this is true, Plumerias and Papayas aren't a indicator.

I got small Plumerias on my flat terrace (they are the entire year located outdoors) and I've seen big plumerias in my zone. They grow in a lot extension of the coast of Spain.

Papayas at La Mojonera: (probably the only place in continental Europe when they are growing and fructifying, but I don't state that, if someone knows another places with Papayas on continental Europe be free to say it!)

papayas-www.jpg

Papayas also grow in certain places of the southernmost coast of Spain, which has the mildest climate in continental Europe (there are some zones which never achieved a temperature below the freezing mark) like Almería or the zone of Almuñecar; and in all of those places all the tryings of coconuts failed.

In Málaga, in the Central Park, the planted Roystoneas grown extremely fast in only 2 years, and mangos are largely cultivated in that area. Also Málaga has a park with almost all the species of palm trees; but you will not see any coconut.

5b9f48890a018_Papayalazzaroparticolare_1download.jpg.fc40d62b323f8824d6002b40a6923456565_10212063445840205_4202807469884

Deep southern italy in a sheltered frost free zone. Plumerias, mangoes huge 24 foot papayas , octopus trees that flower twice a year, fruiting and full maturation cold sensitive cavendish bananas all the above growing easily without any protection whatsoever. This location is as mild or milder than anywhere in spain greece or cyprus.

• 2 years later...
On 21/6/2015 at 04:10, Danilopez89 said:

gennaio 2014

post-9726-0-42899500-1434851642_thumb.jp

Febbraio 2015

post-9726-0-33459500-1434851718_thumb.jp

Maggio 2015

post-9726-0-13708700-1434851794_thumb.jp

Il triplo impianto

25 dicembre 2014 (un giorno prima del freddo)

post-9726-0-59257400-1434851908_thumb.jp

Marzo 2015

post-9726-0-08012600-1434852511_thumb.jp

Maggio 2015

hello did your coconut get back in  the garden or is it dead?

6 hours ago, Aleitalyyy said:

hello did your coconut get back in  the garden or is it dead?

We’ll probably never know. He’s not visited Palmtalk since January, 2017. 

• Like 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens