IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this a coconut or am I dreaming?

Danilopez89

IMO, referring to the new owner that destroyed the coconut down as a jerk -- is an understatement! I would have removed all the other palms and left the coconut as the prime focal point from the street. The other palms detracted and visually helped obscure the coconut palm.

I guess the new owner ignorantly and unwittingly set an unofficial USA record by killing the most mature northernmost coconut palm. Congratulations -- jerk!

• Upvote 1

Mad about palms

We still have that other one.

Maybe there's more . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This is like watching game of thrones of the coconuts... what did just happen!

Right on there.

What the ....!!!!

Billy Currington's song "People are Crazy" comes to mind about now.

Excuse me while I look for some Kleenex to wipe these tears of horror.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

My Head Hurts!!!!! I dont understand.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

I'm piling on here. 5 yards and loss of down.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Oh man...we just previously experience the death of the newport cocos and now this!

Should of taken out the queens instead!

This is a case when code enforcement should give them a $2,000 + citation for cutting down the most famous coconut palm in North America. What palm hating idiots! I wouldn't be surprised if they remove all the palms by the end of the month. I really despise palm haters, especially those who hate my favorites, the coconut palm!

Unbelievable and sad, but at least you got some pictures of it before it's demise.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

As sad as I am to see it go, I am not a big fan of telling others what to do on their property. If they wanted it gone, their choice. And where it was relating to their front door and windows, and them obviously not being palm people, I could see wanting it out. Their entrance is now more open and with more light to their windows. At least I want to hope there was some conscious thought and a goal behind their choice to cut it down.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

As sad as I am to see it go, I am not a big fan of telling others what to do on their property. If they wanted it gone, their choice. And where it was relating to their front door and windows, and them obviously not being palm people, I could see wanting it out. Their entrance is now more open and with more light to their windows. At least I want to hope there was some conscious thought and a goal behind their choice to cut it down.

I hear you Keith. At the same time, I have to wonder if they even had a clue what they we doing. Wish they knew. If they opted to chop it anyway, then so be it. Hopefully it was an educated action.

This is really sad, but I'm with Keith in respecting what people do with their property. I do hope the removal was a conscious decision by the homeowner and not something out of ignorance. If it was the latter, this is why we failed by not informing the new homeowner of the immensely rare specimen (in this locale) they had just purchased with, and failed to recognize in their property.

Thanks to Daniel's sharp eye and great timing, at least we have some pictures and a story to tell for years to come.

Edited by Pando

IMHO,maybe they thought that the palm was sickly and didn't compliment with the other healthier palms.The trunk of the cocos was already unsightly to many non palm enthusiast and that would indeed declare removal.

Maybe this is just a hope, but there might be others.

We still have that other one Daniel found, in the embrace of the Plumeria and the pool.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

La Quinta Coco

post-9726-0-44612700-1434740327_thumb.jp

At least we know that not only they can grow here but they can also fruit. If I hadn't found it two weeks ago, it would have been difficult to id this thing...post-9726-0-06689800-1434740660_thumb.jp lol

• Upvote 1

I'm not upset that the new home owners wanted it removed. (It's was kind of in their way as they walk up to their door). I'm upset that I didn't get the opportunity to talk to them about other options. Maybe I could have put it my yard... :)

I'm not upset that the new home owners wanted it removed. (It's was kind of in their way as they walk up to their door). I'm upset that I didn't get the opportunity to talk to them about other options. Maybe I could have put it my yard... :)

Look for others!

Where there's two, there's likely to be more.

You've spawned a legend!

OM-FG... WHY

tell me why

why they did this

WHY?!?!?!?! I know that Syagrus is the most hated palm in this forum. I really like Syagrus, but even a man with only 10% of it's visual capacity would see that the coconut is was far more beautiful. :crying:

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

La Quinta Coco

attachicon.gifIMG_20150617_20358.jpg

At least we know that not only they can grow here but they can also fruit. If I hadn't found it two weeks ago, it would have been difficult to id this thing...attachicon.gifIMG_20150618_1843.jpg lol

Doh! Why haven't they removed the whole thing, Tiki carving coming? Maybe they were allergic to coconuts.

Carl

Vista, CA

that coconut trunk would make a great looking tiki...

give me a couple days and I could whip up the coolest palm talk tiki ever...

lol..

attachicon.gifIMG_3495.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3587.JPG

Josh-O called it first! Lol

:greenthumb:

This is the most viral topic I have ever seen on PT. I just sucked down a "pipa fria" from Juan a few hours ago. It was DE-LISH!! I save the fibrous husks to peg bromeliads onto trees (that with heavy rains form a heavy moss) so I can see the allure as they have so many functions. I find it easier just to buy property in the third world and to grow groves of these which gives you a reason to take a vacation to the tropics (cheaper than trying to grow a coco in Cali no?). Just sayin'.

La Quinta Coco

attachicon.gifIMG_20150617_20358.jpg

At least we know that not only they can grow here but they can also fruit. If I hadn't found it two weeks ago, it would have been difficult to id this thing...attachicon.gifIMG_20150618_1843.jpg lol

Maybe they didn't want the huge groups of palm enthusiasts driving by their house to see the coconut?

But seriously that is not a very complete removal job... And it appears that they left the queen palm behind it.

At least we know that it can be done, and coconuts can be grown to a large size here. I have plans for planting three of them here in Escondido. I know of the perfect spot! It will be interesting to see how many of us succeed.

Yes it will be very interesting to see how many of us end up with some nice coconut trees in the future. For now I've been trying out the ones from HD but I hope to get different types of cocos at some point. I saw some on Amazon and it said they come from the island of Kauai.

Yes it will be very interesting to see how many of us end up with some nice coconut trees in the future. For now I've been trying out the ones from HD but I hope to get different types of cocos at some point. I saw some on Amazon and it said they come from the island of Kauai.

A seller on eBay has Jamaican talls. I bought one last year and it survived outside last winter way up here.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I am sure a lot of you guys will manage to keep them thriving in your houses if they provide the right heat source (micro climate) for the toughest of the toughest days! The desert is usually warm during the winter. Having said that expecting coconuts in parks and other less protected areas to survive for more than 20 years might be hard if not impossible, hopefully I am wrong as I believe the valley would look great with some coconuts in parks and public places:).

Daniel can you show us some pictures or share the strategy you will use to make them thrive, as I recall you had some troubles the first time you tried? Maybe placing them in a more protected spot? Good luck with your journey.

I am sure a lot of you guys will manage to keep them thriving in your houses if they provide the right heat source (micro climate) for the toughest of the toughest days! The desert is usually warm during the winter. Having said that expecting coconuts in parks and other less protected areas to survive for more than 20 years might be hard if not impossible, hopefully I am wrong as I believe the valley would look great with some coconuts in parks and public places:).

Daniel can you show us some pictures or share the strategy you will use to make them thrive, as I recall you had some troubles the first time you tried? Maybe placing them in a more protected spot? Good luck with your journey.

Well so far, I have one which is still alive and is slowly opening a new frond. I'm surprised that it made it because its in complete shade during winter. I didn't provide protection from the cold during it's first winter (I really should have). And if it made it basically on its own, then I have hope for it because I will be sure to protect it during the future cold and maybe even give it some artificial heat. I also planted a group of 3 last September in a hot and sunny corner. Only one made it. One died instantly after the cold. Another made it and kept growing but died in May. The one that is still alive has not moved in more than a month. I think it's gonna die soon. I have another in a growing pot that basically over winterized at Home Depot and it's super fast. Pushing new growth daily. I guess my new strategy will be to grow them in pots for a few years. I'll move them indoors and try and keep them away from the cold untill they acquire some SIZE and then once they go in the ground I'll offer them some sort of protection during the cold. :)

Awesome, maybe when they get decent size they will be able to handle themselves if you can get them in a protected area, try to find something similar as La Quinta or the Palm Desert ones. Good drainage and a lot of walls around, once they get big you can leave them outside!

January 2014

post-9726-0-42899500-1434851642_thumb.jp

February 2015

post-9726-0-33459500-1434851718_thumb.jp

May 2015

post-9726-0-13708700-1434851794_thumb.jp

The triple planting-

Dec 25 2014 (one day before the cold)

post-9726-0-59257400-1434851908_thumb.jp

March 2015

post-9726-0-08012600-1434852511_thumb.jp

May 2015

post-9726-0-54788400-1434852564_thumb.jp

Edited by Danilopez89

I hadn't read this thread for two weeks and am just tuning in now. A lot has happened! It just keeps unfolding in real time with such drama. I am going to bookmark this thread because I have a feeling that the story is just beginning. Danny is going to find another four or five mature coconut trees in the region of Palm Desert, California. Stay tuned.

Hello Daniel...

Could I make a suggestion? I just read through this thread with its 11 pages worth, and at a couple points I was tempted to skip it due to the jokes (which I think are funny, but 11 pages worth is tiring) and the round-a-bout story of something TRULY AMAZING. I think many "veterans- or worthy contributors" have skipped this thread due to its overall size.

Could I suggest a more succinct NEW thread with the details that you DID find two Coconuts in So-Cal with fruits even on one...? I think many more people would appreciate this info and could get something from a new thread. (Apologies if you started one and I missed it)

I say keep all the fun to this thread.... heck, when you said you talked to the guy who had the secret, I thought you were gonna say it was relative of Triodorobs... haha

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hello Daniel...

Could I make a suggestion? I just read through this thread with its 11 pages worth, and at a couple points I was tempted to skip it due to the jokes (which I think are funny, but 11 pages worth is tiring) and the round-a-bout story of something TRULY AMAZING. I think many "veterans- or worthy contributors" have skipped this thread due to its overall size.

Could I suggest a more succinct NEW thread with the details that you DID find two Coconuts in So-Cal with fruits even on one...? I think many more people would appreciate this info and could get something from a new thread. (Apologies if you started one and I missed it)

I say keep all the fun to this thread.... heck, when you said you talked to the guy who had the secret, I thought you were gonna say it was relative of Triodorobs... haha

Yeah the jokes got out of hand several times and it annoyed or confused many especially if they weren't keeping up with the thread daily. I do plan on starting a new thread soon, with no nonsense. I want it to be easy for people to find info on these coconuts and having to search through all those pages to see some pics can be a turn off to some. Thanks for the suggestion and for sharing your thoughts on this matter, I'm sure many feel as you do. Edited by Danilopez89