IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this a coconut or am I dreaming?

Danilopez89

So, I apologize for NOT reading every post, BUT was it established yet that this tree is actually growing in the ground and not in some pot? Just a "left field" thought....

Do you think it's likely that this is growing in a pot? :)

post-9726-0-30705100-1433782250.jpg

Edited by Pando

can one of you guys give me a 3 sentence summary of what happened here.

was on Vacation - came back and there are 400 replies to a Cali COCO thread

15 year old Coconut found in La Quinta. Magic over.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Magic NOT over. Magic and madness have just begun!

I can't remember a post that got this much buzz in so short a time.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

the King is dead - long live the King

kind of funny with the death of the Newport beach coco thread last week !

Is this a CocoNUT or am I dreaming?(part2)

lol!

attachicon.gifIMG_20150604_36399.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20150604_51215.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20150604_8697.jpg

This looks like a xButyagrus, not a coconut.

I kinda agree...but I don't know coconuts about coconuts.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I think the obsession with the humble coconut palm is that it's probably the palm that got most of us into palms. You travel somewhere tropical and see those beauties swaying in the warm breeze and you want to create that same feeling at home. I know that was a major influence on me.

These must be some very humble cocos... they waited for the old Newport Coconut to pass on before they made their appearance. Otherwise it could have been pretty awkward. Lol

the King is dead - long live the King

kind of funny with the death of the Newport beach coco thread last week !

How about that?

Oh, the irony.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

post-649-0-59228700-1433797046_thumb.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

post-649-0-91115800-1433797068_thumb.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

This says it all.

Sanity is boring. Insanity is much more fun.

Because someone really did unlock a secret. Got photos posted too ... :w00t:

post-1729-0-12006400-1433799182_thumb.jp

Mary Ann wants to bake the first California grown Coconut Cream Pie. Look closely and you can see her cup of grog made from a coconut shell.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

lol....

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

what-if-you-arent-supposed-to-put-the-li

:floor::floor::floor:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I heard about "coconut groves" in the desert...

I went searching for more coconuts today...

I found a super "Palmy" house....

Could this be "Is this a coconut or am I dreaming" (part3)?

post-9726-0-79807900-1433805414_thumb.jppost-9726-0-22793300-1433805429_thumb.jp

I just grabbed this from my neighbor a couple of blocks away. Her Coconut is definitely a cross, very very few tall varieties can be found in South Florida. Its DNA did provide lots of tall characteristics, including not fruiting until quite large. This is a Coral Gables, Florida nut (see cordless drill for scale) bigger then a football. Rain and humidity accommodates the development of big nuts. She never irrigates nor fertilizes her Coconuts.

post-1729-0-94989600-1433807994_thumb.jp

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

One curious thing about the Desert Palm coconut, yellow fruits, are we sure it is a tall one?

I just grabbed this from my neighbor a couple of blocks away. Her Coconut is definitely a cross, very very few tall varieties can be found in South Florida. Its DNA did provide lots of tall characteristics, including not fruiting until quite large. This is a Coral Gables, Florida nut (see cordless drill for scale) bigger then a football. Rain and humidity accommodates the development of big nuts. She never irrigates nor fertilizes her Coconuts.

attachicon.gifCoconut.JPG

You should snap a pic of the tree if you get a chance. That nut looks like a Jamaican tall so I'm curious what makes you think it's a cross (assuming that the tree was able to survive LY).

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Donno how many board followers on this board from the Palm Springs/ Palm Desert area. But I'd say these palms should be incentive to plant coconuts.

We now know that they will grow there in certain microclimates... I would think it worth the $20 or so to buy and try.

Just remember, most big box palms are grown in a GH, so they need acclimation. Best to buy seed or sprouted seed and experiment.

I grew several husked coconuts from the grocery store and they are fast growers.

• Like 1

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

those last photos are of Dr. Nelson's home in Palm Desert… palms you see in that second photo are indeed a green Bismarckia, a Sabal uresana, and the shorter palm is the biggest Livistona alfredii in California. Pretty sure Don is not growing any coconuts, at least not any big ones … yet.

those last photos are of Dr. Nelson's home in Palm Desert… palms you see in that second photo are indeed a green Bismarckia, a Sabal uresana, and the shorter palm is the biggest Livistona alfredii in California. Pretty sure Don is not growing any coconuts, at least not any big ones … yet.

Geoff, I met Don yesterday. He gave me a tour of his garden. I'll post a new thread about his garden if I have time later today.

Donno how many board followers on this board from the Palm Springs/ Palm Desert area. But I'd say these palms should be incentive to plant coconuts.

We now know that they will grow there in certain microclimates... I would think it worth the $20 or so to buy and try.

Just remember, most big box palms are grown in a GH, so they need acclimation. Best to buy seed or sprouted seed and experiment.

I grew several husked coconuts from the grocery store and they are fast growers.

....or, even better than the Palm Springs/Palm Desert area, what about experimenting in the USDA Zone 10 strip from El Centro, California eastward to Yuma, Arizona, and south to the Mexican border? That region gets hot daytime temperatures year-round, and doesn't get as cold on winter nights as Palm Springs, CA. I am guessing that it receives some temperating influence from the nearby Sea of Cortez.

Some people on this forum advocate for planting Mexican Tall coconuts. Fortunately for California, a Mexican Tall, Hawaiian Tall or Jamaican Tall coconut tree would not get "Lethal Yellowing Disease" (LY) like they do in Florida. It's worth a try!

....or, even better than the Palm Springs/Palm Desert area, what about experimenting in the USDA Zone 10 strip from El Centro, California eastward to Yuma, Arizona, and south to the Mexican border? That region gets hot daytime temperatures year-round, and doesn't get as cold on winter nights as Palm Springs, CA. I am guessing that it receives some temperating influence from the nearby Sea of Cortez.

Some people on this forum advocate for planting Mexican Tall coconuts. Fortunately for California, a Mexican Tall, Hawaiian Tall or Jamaican Tall coconut tree would not get "Lethal Yellowing Disease" (LY) like they do in Florida. It's worth a try!

Behold, the rise of the Coconut Empire!

• 2 weeks later...

Pinch me!

....and maybe it was all a dream.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150618_51526.jpg

Those look a lot like queens.

I cant believe they chopped the coconut and left the queens and scrawny royal.

Maybe is was never there. Maybe it was all just a dream about cocos in Southern California....

Looks like the new owners didn't like the coconut. :badday:

That only happened a few days ago?

I'll bet there are others.

Couldn't believe it. I've been driving by this street to see if I see new owners, to talk to them about the coconut tree. I thought to myself "maybe they will want it removed", and "maybe I can transplant it to my house"... they definitely wanted it removed!

They haven't even moved in yet and they already chopped it down... jerks!

I could have had my friend move it with his crane truck!

I bet they paid good $$$! I could have removed it for free!

Ahhhhhh!

attachicon.gifIMG_20150618_1843.jpg

R.I.P MR.COCONUT :'(

WHAT THE HECK!!!!

I said the same thing, amongst numerous other things.. Just sad. And to leave the Queen Palms, Yuck! :rant:

-Nathan