IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this a coconut or am I dreaming?

Danilopez89

You can clearly see a green coconut hanging on the tree in one of the photos he provided

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Is that a Roystonea Oleracea in there? Someone else said it was a king. I didn't think it looks like a king palm.

From your video it looks more like an underwatered Roystonea, but it was hard to tell which species.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I actually thought you were joking because a tall variety needs other coconuts around to give fruit. In rare events they have been able to self pollinate or so I read, unlike the dwarf variety which can self-pollinate. So this means, it is a super dwarf (unlikely with that trunk), the rare event of self pollination occurred, there is another nearby and you haven't payed attention! Of course there could be Aliens involved too, because this is quiet surprising.

Tall types can self-pollinate if need be, but they form a lot of coconuts without embryos. I collected a batch of coconuts from an isolated Jamaican tall in January and only one out of the 7 I collected had an embryo.

Keith 

Wonder if both are hawaiian talls or just the Jamaican talls they sell at HD

Where do your HD coconuts come from? The ones here are usually from Costa Farms in Homestead and are usually Malayans, but can sometimes be mutts.

attachicon.gifIMG_20150604_50190.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20150604_8382.jpg

Are you guys saying that I can try and "grow" these...how do you guys think I got a hold of these? You think I climbed the tree?lol

Unfortunately, no. The biggest one is still too young.

Keith 

Where do your HD coconuts come from? The ones here are usually from Costa Farms in Homestead and are usually Malayans, but can sometimes be mutts.

Are you guys saying that I can try and "grow" these...how do you guys think I got a hold of these? You think I climbed the tree?lol

That's what I was thinking. I just collected them because they looked cool! As souvenirs! I didn't buy them from the store either man. That would be silly... besides they don't sell premature coconut fruit at the stores. Lol!

One thing that's verybinteresting too is that in the like you gave you can see this coco on January 2008. That means it went through the 2007 freeze just fine. Although I don't know how bad they got hit in the desert. But even still it looks great for a marginal palm in the dead of winter.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Coconuts grow in California deserts, this is not unusual. Even though winter nights get cold and frost, it can heat up to 80F by 8AM in the desert keeping soil temps high. I worked for a year and a half in palm desert and saw all kinds of tropical palms and trees growing. There is a huge Attaleas out there too.

So Greg told me a story about a man from San Diego who belonged to the PSSC that stopped by his house to talk about his Coconut. He said the man was out here doing some work...

I'm just wondering if that was you.... sounds like you knew about the coconuts all along?

Coconuts grow in California deserts, this is not unusual. Even though winter nights get cold and frost, it can heat up to 80F by 8AM in the desert keeping soil temps high. I worked for a year and a half in palm desert and saw all kinds of tropical palms and trees growing. There is a huge Attaleas out there too.

So Greg told me a story about a man from San Diego who belonged to the PSSC that stopped by his house to talk about his Coconut. He said the man was out here doing some work...

I'm just wondering if that was you.... sounds like you knew about the coconuts all along?

This must be the same Attalea you're talking about? post-9726-0-33962900-1433516693_thumb.jp

I saw it yesterday it looks bigger than that already. That picture is from almost 2 years ago.

Edited by Danilopez89

I wonder how old that attalea is?

I wonder if it's Dubia or cohune (both can grow here)

The dang thing looks absolutely PERFECT!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

One thing that's verybinteresting too is that in the like you gave you can see this coco on January 2008. That means it went through the 2007 freeze just fine. Although I don't know how bad they got hit in the desert. But even still it looks great for a marginal palm in the dead of winter.

Good point Steve

Sunset zone 24

I'm now sold it's a coconut. :drool:

Crazzzzzy town!!

Sunset zone 24

When the fruit matures I wonder if they are viable and what they would be worth to a collector like you?

Sunset zone 24

I also found these...post-9726-0-77611700-1433522490_thumb.jp

These weren't aborted by the palm like someone mentioned earlier I climbed 20 feet of trunk to get these...post-9726-0-89326600-1433522566_thumb.jppost-9726-0-95245600-1433522586_thumb.jp

I wonder if this is the first time the fruit gets this far along. There is more fruit like this on the tree (I only took 3)lol. And I wonder if that fruit will fully mature.

Was I wrong about collecting the fruit? I mean, what if the house sells and the new owner wants to "remodel" the front? Then what? And no, I didn't actually climb it...

Hm hopefully this will not happen again in Palm Springs/Palm Desert/La Quinta (1979) though as this would destroy a coco without the proper counter measures even in a sheltered garden like those:

snowinPalmSprings-cb27efb7.jpeg?ver=1421

Probably happens once in a blue moon would not be too worried:)

Looks legit....post-9726-0-57706100-1433532118_thumb.jp

This is downtown Palm Springs and is right under the big mountains that get snow every year.

post-9726-0-66195200-1433532239_thumb.jp

Are you sure you didn't photoshop Cluster? Lol j/k.

hahaha

Sunset zone 24

In my experience, the HD Cocos sold here in SoCal come out of Florida. They all seems to have the bright orange-ish petioles. But I couldn't tell you what variety they are.

The the grocery store coconuts here are from Mexico. At least 100% of those I have observed. Maybe others are seeing other countries of origin.

Do walls enclosing coconuts make such a difference or just coincidence? The the Newport, La Quinta and Palm Desert share the same feature. I remember Stelios, mentioned that he had some coconuts that died in Cyprus and then he found/tinkered a more protected area and now so far so good.

From my little experience what I noticed is that when I started I had 2 coconuts. When they were small and still in the pots they were growing outside. The tall variety died after 1 nights in the winter not because it was too cold but it was very windy and it was more exposed to the wind than my dwarf. My coconut now which is planted outside already after 3 winters, is growing protected from one side from my house. I have to protect the 2 other sides which we have cool wind from the mountains in the winter, and try keep it dry from the rain in the winter. Is also planted in almost pure sand. I think what can kill the cocos is the combination of cold wind and too wet soil in the cold winter. That's why I believe there are some places in So. Cal or even Arizona where cocos could survive.

Stelios

"...a combination of cold wind and too wet soil in the winter...." Isn't this precisely the reason why there are coconuts growing far away from the Southern California coast in the desert, as opposed to Newport Beach? The reason I kept hearing for coconuts not thriving in coastal Orange County (e.g. Newport Beach) was that they could not withstand the cold winter rain, and particularly wet roots at that time of year. Otherwise, the low temperatures should not be a problem in those zone 11 regions of coastal Orange County where it is extremely unusual for temperatures to drop below the 40s fahrenheit. Although winter daytime temperatures on the coast are not as hot as the desert two hours to the east, they aren't bad. In winter, the daytime temperature in coastal Orange County seem to fluctuate between roughly 15 degrees and 23 degrees celcius most days. I once even spent 3 days in Anaheim in winter when we had high 20s celcius every day, and it felt more like 30 degrees in the sun.

The adverse factors for coconuts are not the same in the desert. There is less moisture, perhaps less wind (a positive), but the desert around Palm Springs and Palm Desert can have winter temperature that simply drop much lower than the coast, overnight at least. Those inland desert climates are not the same as the zone 11 strip along the coast, so the risk factors to a coconut are totally different there. I am assuming that there is less winter rain inland in the desert than on the coast between mountains and sea, although all of this is just my speculation and conjecture.

In any case, it is find to see these cocnuts growing in the desert and I hope we keep finding more before this thread concludes.

coconut grove Florida?

Sunset zone 24

Dam I thought I had tricked you:( :P

Love how you located the time period autos expertly sized and placed them just right. The fake snow was easy.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Yap the snow was easy, still with all the work you guys figured out right away it was photoshoped:( I swear nothing happened in 1979!

I still stand by my statement about the coconuts. We have a couple of Mexican markets here in Corpus Christi that routinely sell green and golden colored coconuts in the husk with a few of them rather large at times. This guy keeps pulling our leg so much, how can we tell when he's telling the truth or just joking with us to lead us on more. I saw no coconuts that looked anywhere close to mature in any of the photos or videos even thought the palm is clearly a mature coconut palm. I really wish he would just outright honestly answer everyone's questions rather than leading every one on all the time. At this point none of us know what to believe.

I still stand by my statement about the coconuts. We have a couple of Mexican markets here in Corpus Christi that routinely sell green and golden colored coconuts in the husk with a few of them rather large at times. This guy keeps pulling our leg so much, how can we tell when he's telling the truth or just joking with us to lead us on more. I saw no coconuts that looked anywhere close to mature in any of the photos or videos even thought the palm is clearly a mature coconut palm. I really wish he would just outright honestly answer everyone's questions rather than leading every one on all the time. At this point none of us know what to believe.

I'm sorry you feel that way Mr. Coconut Palm. I really am now that you have expressed your feelings... I shouldn't have joked around so much I guess. I might joke around to try and have a bit of fun but I'm not gonna sit here and make up stories or lie about what I saw. Simply - I saw coconut trees growing and fruting in Southern California. The End.

Forgive me for my foolishness Mr. Coconut Palm, maybe I'll just start a new thread w/out the bs and post my Southern California Coconut Trees pics and videos there.

Daniel Lpoaz,

I have to agree with Mr.Coconut Palm, at the beginning of this thread i was really excited to hear about

everything you wrote (like many other followers in this forum) but then the contridicting facts and jokes

that you wrote made some of us confused, and made some doubt if the story you told us is true,

(don't get me wrong it's nice to make jokes from time to time, But if you are telling a story as a joke

it should be short and the truth should be revield after a short time....Cause otherways it's unethical).

Since you did mentioned that your story is true, I think that many of us, Will like to know how you got

the Coconut Fruits that you had in your car ? Have you found them on the Ground ? Or did you Climb

the tree and knocked them to the ground ?. If you can also mention where is the Specific location of this

Fruiting Coconut Palm in California, It will be highly appriciated,

Thanks Ahead for your time and Kindness,

Best Regards,

Lior.

• Upvote 2

La Quinta California - post-9726-0-55773300-1433578372_thumb.jp

Palm Desert California - post-9726-0-14570400-1433578485_thumb.jppost-9726-0-35110900-1433578510_thumb.jppost-9726-0-08715100-1433578546_thumb.jppost-9726-0-91659200-1433578570_thumb.jp

Fruit from Palm Desert Coconut tree -post-9726-0-22741300-1433578690_thumb.jp

post-9726-0-33666900-1433578723_thumb.jp

Yap the snow was easy, still with all the work you guys figured out right away it was photoshoped:( I swear nothing happened in 1979!

That photoshop/fake photo was brilliant. I really fell for the hoax. I didn't think it was possible that snow had ever fallen in that region (except on the tops of tall mountains), but I actually believed that the snow photo was real. Great hoax!

As for the photos Danny took, I saw the coconuts in the Palm Desert tree and old ones fallen to the ground beneath it. I believe him.

To clarify post number 299: Florida's rainy season is in the summer. Our winter is supposed to be relatively dry. The coconuts like it that way.

By contrast, I understand that coastal California has a winter rainy season. If it were the other way around (like Florida), perhaps one could grow coconuts in Newport Beach since -- unlike the interior deserts -- it isn't a region that has temperatures too cold for coconut trees.

Daniel Lpoaz,

I have to agree with Mr.Coconut Palm, at the beginning of this thread i was really excited to hear about

everything you wrote (like many other followers in this forum) but then the contridicting facts and jokes

that you wrote made some of us confused, and made some doubt if the story you told us is true,

(don't get me wrong it's nice to make jokes from time to time, But if you are telling a story as a joke

it should be short and the truth should be revield after a short time....Cause otherways it's unethical).

Since you did mentioned that your story is true, I think that many of us, Will like to know how you got

the Coconut Fruits that you had in your car ? Have you found them on the Ground ? Or did you Climb

the tree and knocked them to the ground ?. If you can also mention where is the Specific location of this

Fruiting Coconut Palm in California, It will be highly appriciated,

Thanks Ahead for your time and Kindness,

Best Regards,

Lior.

I also found these...attachicon.gifIMG_20150605_2701.jpg

These weren't aborted by the palm like someone mentioned earlier I climbed 20 feet of trunk to get these...attachicon.gifIMG_20150604_50190.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20150604_8382.jpg

I wonder if this is the first time the fruit gets this far along. There is more fruit like this on the tree (I only took 3)lol. And I wonder if that fruit will fully mature.

Was I wrong about collecting the fruit? I mean, what if the house sells and the new owner wants to "remodel" the front? Then what? And no, I didn't actually climb it...

This is how I got the fruit down from the coco tree...

post-9726-0-72092000-1433602357_thumb.jppost-9726-0-93257000-1433602400_thumb.jp

The coconut palm tree in Palm Desert has about 22 feet of TRUNK!post-9726-0-03653300-1433602517_thumb.jp

that coconut trunk would make a great looking tiki...

give me a couple days and I could whip up the coolest palm talk tiki ever...

lol..

post-7434-0-55372100-1433605195_thumb.jp

post-7434-0-54732200-1433605234_thumb.jp

Sunset zone 24

That photoshop/fake photo was brilliant. I really fell for the hoax. I didn't think it was possible that snow had ever fallen in that region (except on the tops of tall mountains), but I actually believed that the snow photo was real. Great hoax!

As for the photos Danny took, I saw the coconuts in the Palm Desert tree and old ones fallen to the ground beneath it. I believe him.

I want to clarify I was being honest, but since people started to joke around it I tagged along:) It is not photoshopped, the temperatures, although very rarely, can drop to values below 25 f in all those Regions Palm Springs/Palm Desert/La Quinta. In the event that it does rain (which is also rare in the desert) when extreme cold temperatures are reached then you will have snow. You can google the snow event that occurred in 1979 and you will see it is well documented.

Since I am not sure you are joking or believed it was photoshopped I want to clarify it is not! In the event a coconut was outside (e.g, in a location like that avenue) It would be a goner most likely if it was not helped, there was around 6 inches of snow (I guess this value depends in the place specifically), cold winds and it was snowing during the day so temperatures were not very high for the most part.

I definitely didn't think it was photoshoped. Lol. I believed it when I first saw the picture because I recognized that street. That is why I stopped by to take a pic while I was working.

So basically, Dani drives around a lot because of his job. This allows him to see private gardens more often than the average person.

He discovered two coconuts growing, one in La Quinta California and one in Palm Desert. The Cocos located in Palm Desert is fruiting. Dani noticed and removed an immature coconut from the Palm Desert Cocos using some pole like device which he most likely uses for his pool cleaning job. The coconut he removed is immature and will not sprout.

Cold temperatures have been documented in these areas before but this hasn't happened in A long time. Global warming, the heat island effect, location, irrigation and sighting have allowed these coconuts to survive in the desert. This is hard for some to believe due to the lack of documented mature coconuts in California but I believe Dani is telling the truth. Google street view shows the same coconut in La Quinta which proves it exists.

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

So basically, Dani drives around a lot because of his job. This allows him to see private gardens more often than the average person.

He discovered two coconuts growing, one in La Quinta California and one in Palm Desert. The Cocos located in Palm Desert is fruiting. Dani noticed and removed an immature coconut from the Palm Desert Cocos using some pole like device which he most likely uses for his pool cleaning job. The coconut he removed is immature and will not sprout.

Cold temperatures have been documented in these areas before but this hasn't happened in A long time. Global warming, the heat island effect, location, irrigation and sighting have allowed these coconuts to survive in the desert. This is hard for some to believe due to the lack of documented mature coconuts in California but I believe Dani is telling the truth. Google street view shows the same coconut in La Quinta which proves it exists.

Thank you for explaining it so well. It's the fact that I joked about the coconut tree in La Qinta having fruits on post #75. I joked about it because I never thought that coconut trees in Southern California could produce fruit. I bet everyone else thought the same...

Until I found the coconut tree in Palm Desert on Tuesday.

When I saw this coco I was shocked! It was huge! And then I noticed the little fruit at the top. I couldn't even believe it. It felt like a dream.

The numbers say it all.

Looking at some of the stats, the 'Legend of Syagrus AbreOjos" topic, which surfaced again this week has managed over 10,000 views - after 7 years.

This topic has managed over half that (5,600) - in 7 days.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

wow!!!

Sunset zone 24

So if all of that is true, we can say from today that coconuts aren't as weak as we thought...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Quinta,_California#Climate

6.8ºC lows on December, 7ºC lows on January, 8.9ºC lows on February... and record lows of -11ºC, -8ºC and -7ºC, so freezes appear that aren't rare.

The day highs are extremely high, (July 41.8ºC :bemused: ) and extremely dry, which is also an non good factor for the coconut. But the lows during winter are very low for a coconut...

I do believe you. Why you would lie in all of that. It's sure that those coconuts have some special carings, were protected when they were younger and also they are in a good microclimate... but I still can't figure myself how it grows with those winter lows and also with the extremely hot and dry summers. SO La Quinta, Ca at 33º 40'N has the NORTHERNMOST coconut ! :greenthumb:

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)