IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this a coconut or am I dreaming?

Danilopez89

still not sold that's its a coconut... :mrlooney:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

https://youtu.be/74k4CVfGPMc

Palm Desert CocoNUT

That one looks really great! It's even got the coconut curve going on (and little coconuts developing). Any info on this one? It looks like a tall type to me. One thing I notice is lack of front movement, is the air always so still there? Here there's always enough of a breeze to blow the fronds around, so that could explain the persistent leaf bases (there's not enough wind to blow them down). Looks like the crownshafted palm is a king palm by the way.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

It's actually been kinda windy here but while I was there it was completely still. The wind came back after i left and I wanted to go back and record it in action.

Do walls enclosing coconuts make such a difference or just coincidence? The the Newport, La Quinta and Palm Desert share the same feature. I remember Stelios, mentioned that he had some coconuts that died in Cyprus and then he found/tinkered a more protected area and now so far so good.

Another Bigfoot sighting.

This is not just "Another Bigfoot sighting"... I FOUND BIGFOOT IN ITS CAVE GIVING BIRTH TO LITTLE BIGFOOTS!attachicon.gifIMG_20150604_8382.jpg

Wait... it's fruiting? I can also see something in your youtube vid, did you collect them on site?

wtwgjhsf8d9hk3wry96y.jpg

One of those seedlings even seems to have sprouted will you plant it?

Edited by Cluster

What seedling are you talking about Cluster?

I did see one on the ground but I didn't think it was from the cocos.

Check out this coconut.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Oh! Those!? I didn't think I could plant them actually. I don't know anything about cocos, but I thought these were premature coconut fruit. I just brought them with me as souvenirs. Lol

Is that a Roystonea Oleracea in there? Someone else said it was a king. I didn't think it looks like a king palm.

Wonder if both are hawaiian talls or just the Jamaican talls they sell at HD

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

How big are they? I think the palm aborted them if they are very small, what amazes me is that this is a tall variety in appearance so it should not fruit without another coconut nearby. This is better than Aliens I tell you.

Again Kudos Dan for yet another significant discovery.. Agree with Keith (Zeeth), a very healthy specimen. Wonder how much older it is compared to the one down the road in La Quinta.

Jim ( in Los Altos) brought up something Id been thinking about since your first post about this Coco. Now that 2 decent examples of a "California Coco" have been discovered, how many others may be out there awaiting being found there in the Valley, hidden in neighborhoods, or below a backyard fence or wall. I also wonder whether or not there may be others in such places as Yuma or nearer the Mex. border. were it generally stays even warmer during the winter. If indeed several more are found, Jim's idea of the Desert having a broader Coconut belt would be somewhat mind blowing." Whoe'd have thought" is very correct. Also makes the tale of the Salton Sea Coconuts quite believable.

As big as finding the first one is, finding a flowering/fruiting specimen is HUGE. Hopefully, the fruit you were able to collect do germinate, which would be quite an event. I do recall you sharing a post sometime back in which it looked as though you'd found 2 or 3? smaller cocos somewhere else in the area which, if my memory is indeed correct, brings the tally thus far to 3 or more specimens. Can't wait for the next discovery, Im sure of it.

-Nathan

Do walls enclosing coconuts make such a difference or just coincidence? The the Newport, La Quinta and Palm Desert share the same feature. I remember Stelios, mentioned that he had some coconuts that died in Cyprus and then he found/tinkered a more protected area and now so far so good.

From my little experience what I noticed is that when I started I had 2 coconuts. When they were small and still in the pots they were growing outside. The tall variety died after 1 nights in the winter not because it was too cold but it was very windy and it was more exposed to the wind than my dwarf. My coconut now which is planted outside already after 3 winters, is growing protected from one side from my house. I have to protect the 2 other sides which we have cool wind from the mountains in the winter, and try keep it dry from the rain in the winter. Is also planted in almost pure sand. I think what can kill the cocos is the combination of cold wind and too wet soil in the cold winter. That's why I believe there are some places in So. Cal or even Arizona where cocos could survive.

Stelios

Since the Newport cocos is history now...

All hail to the new "Most Northern Coconut Palm in the World!"

Even better...it fruits!!!

Crazy

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Crazy

Told ya

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Crazy

Told ya

:floor: Been waiting for Mr. B to come outta hiding...

-Nathan

Again Kudos Dan for yet another significant discovery.. Agree with Keith (Zeeth), a very healthy specimen. Wonder how much older it is compared to the one down the road in La Quinta.

Jim ( in Los Altos) brought up something Id been thinking about since your first post about this Coco. Now that 2 decent examples of a "California Coco" have been discovered, how many others may be out there awaiting being found there in the Valley, hidden in neighborhoods, or below a backyard fence or wall. I also wonder whether or not there may be others in such places as Yuma or nearer the Mex. border. were it generally stays even warmer during the winter. If indeed several more are found, Jim's idea of the Desert having a broader Coconut belt would be somewhat mind blowing." Whoe'd have thought" is very correct. Also makes the tale of the Salton Sea Coconuts quite believable.

As big as finding the first one is, finding a flowering/fruiting specimen is HUGE. Hopefully, the fruit you were able to collect do germinate, which would be quite an event. I do recall you sharing a post sometime back in which it looked as though you'd found 2 or 3? smaller cocos somewhere else in the area which, if my memory is indeed correct, brings the tally thus far to 3 or more specimens. Can't wait for the next discovery, Im sure of it.

-Nathan

Yes I did see little coconuts growing in Occotillo Wells last time I went ATV riding. I should point out that both these locations are similar. They both have a nice microclimate with a nice "cold drop" below them. And the soil is about the same...

What a great topic by the way. Nice photos and videos. Especially the second palm which is fruiting is just amazing. There must be more out there!

From my little experience what I noticed is that when I started I had 2 coconuts. When they were small and still in the pots they were growing outside. The tall variety died after 1 nights in the winter not because it was too cold but it was very windy and it was more exposed to the wind than my dwarf. My coconut now which is planted outside already after 3 winters, is growing protected from one side from my house. I have to protect the 2 other sides which we have cool wind from the mountains in the winter, and try keep it dry from the rain in the winter. Is also planted in almost pure sand. I think what can kill the cocos is the combination of cold wind and too wet soil in the cold winter. That's why I believe there are some places in So. Cal or even Arizona where cocos could survive.

Stelios

Sounds like sand it the way to go with cocos. Or at least super fast draining soil. I actually have really fast draining soil at my house except I have a clay mix soil which stays moist or wet longer and I can tell my coco doesn't like that.

I'm gonna go and load up my truck with some of that "ancient coral mountain soil" for my new cocos. Lol!

Edited by Danilopez89

Daniel you should see if they fruit! You will love a coconut around, nothing like the real thing (not even beccariophoenix!), you will learn how to handle it. If you have a protected spot like these people why not try:) Join the coco side of the force:P

post-1760-1247729524.jpg

CocosnuciferaJamaicanTall4.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/thienzieyung/5792193800/in/photostream/ <---awesome

• Upvote 1

Hm hopefully this will not happen again in Palm Springs/Palm Desert/La Quinta (1979) though as this would destroy a coco without the proper counter measures even in a sheltered garden like those:

snowinPalmSprings-cb27efb7.jpeg?ver=1421

Probably happens once in a blue moon would not be too worried:)

Hm hopefully this will not happen again in Palm Springs/Palm Desert/La Quinta (1979) though as this would destroy a coco without the proper counter measures even in a sheltered garden like those:

snowinPalmSprings-cb27efb7.jpeg?ver=1421

Probably happens once in a blue moon would not be too worried:)

THAT IS AMAZING! I NEVER KNEW IT SNOWED IN THE COACHELLA VALLEY!

post-9726-0-52703600-1433480412_thumb.jppost-9726-0-97460600-1433480428_thumb.jp

Are you guys saying that I can try and "grow" these...how do you guys think I got a hold of these? You think I climbed the tree?lol

Is that a Roystonea Oleracea in there? Someone else said it was a king. I didn't think it looks like a king palm.

Roystonea surely?

I actually thought you were joking because a tall variety needs other coconuts around to give fruit. In rare events they have been able to self pollinate or so I read, unlike the dwarf variety which can self-pollinate. So this means, it is a super dwarf (unlikely with that trunk), the rare event of self pollination occurred, there is another nearby and you haven't payed attention! Of course there could be Aliens involved too, because this is quiet surprising.

If the neighborhood has Delonix regia (poinciana, flamboyán), it's a good sign for coconuts. Both are marginal in my neighborhood. The 2010 episodes of cold killed a lot of coconuts and set the poincianas back badly. Not to mention that Archontophoenix, Carpentaria, Dypsis decaryi, and Coccothrinax suffered leaf damage. Lowest temperature was about -3 C, 26 F.

Coconuts will come back well after substantial leaf damage.

Eric from Orlando has been microclimates within Leu Gardens (temperatures vary quite a lot) as well as the Orlando heat island. The city is growing fast, so much of it would reasonably be considered zone 10 by now. A sign of rampant growth: there's plans to rebuild the toll expressway from Orlando to the beaches from 4 lanes to 8. Plus build railroad track(s) alongside it.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Zones near the sea do not get affected as much from the heat island effect as valleys like Coachella valley or interior zones overall.

Those are store bought green coconuts on his car seat! A coconut palm in Southern California would never be able to produce nuts that size even under the best of conditions in California. Besides they are too green and thus probably too young for the seed to be viable and worst of all, coconuts shipped to the U.S. are being radiated now, which means there is a 99.9% chance they WILL NOT sprout. In the last 15 years, I have tried about 120 to 130 store bought coconuts and only 2 or 3 actually sprouted, with only one that survived. The survivor after about 8 years of growth was only about 2.5 ft. tall with very few leaves and even it recently died. When I was in high school 30 years ago, you could buy a store bought coconut and have a reasonably good chance that it would sprout into a healthy coconut palm. Not anymore thanks to our Big Brother system that is always trying to "protect" us!

John