IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this a coconut or am I dreaming?

Danilopez89

Just tell us what he said please.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I have never uploaded an youtube video and studying for an exam otherwise I would help you out:(

Try again Cluster?

Video is working thank you:) now if you could share the details of what you found out we would appreciate:) How old has it been there if he protects it with anything, pool etc:D In any case it looks very healthy.

Edited by Cluster

Worth the wait.. Thanks for sharing Dan, and thanks to the homeowner for opening his doors for a close encounter. I hope this inspires many new experiments.

_Nathan

Since the Newport cocos is history now...

All hail to the new "Most Northern Coconut Palm in the World!"

Even better...it fruits!!!

Video works for me! Awesome. Perfect timing on finding this with the recent loss of the Newport coco.

Sorry for the wait. I uploaded the videos before I left to the gym. My phone is on low battery. I'm almost home to upload some more pictures.

After cleaning my last pool for the day in Palm Desert I hurried over to La Quinta to try and find out more about the coconut. The owner came out and was happy to talk about his coconut palm. We talked for almost an hour and he told me the story behind the "La Quinta Coconut". I invited Greg to come and check out Palmtalk and hopefully answer some questions. He sounded excited about it and I'm actually hoping that one day he will come on Palmtalk and share the whole story himself. For now I will share what he told me with some pics as well. post-9726-0-14645400-1433216148_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

I knocked on the door. The man told me he unlocked the secret to growing Cocos in Southern California. He said it also fruits...

This was a joke guys. It doesn't fruit... at least not yet!

I knocked on the door. The man told me he unlocked the secret to growing Cocos in Southern California. He said it also fruits...

This was a joke guys. It doesn't fruit... at least not yet!

Dang!

Daniel you are creating so much suspense! It feels like waiting for the final episode of your favorite series and it does not come out:)

That's it. I'm planting my coco in Phx. It will be the most north and eastern specimen in the U.S. And it will survive after seeing this.

• Upvote 1

I get the feeling you are enjoying not telling us the story. :)

Sorry but I'm trying to have dinner with my family. I'm doing the best I can here. And yes I'm enjoying it a little bit...

Greg told me he brought the coconut from Hawaii as a seedling. He planted it in the year 2000.post-9726-0-48275300-1433217784_thumb.jppost-9726-0-35648300-1433217800_thumb.jppost-9726-0-88272900-1433217814_thumb.jppost-9726-0-79573600-1433217826_thumb.jppost-9726-0-16621300-1433217844_thumb.jppost-9726-0-40149300-1433217863_thumb.jppost-9726-0-87184400-1433217884_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

I don't get it. That is clearly a coconut growing and we're talking about weather or not it can grow there? It's growing and its 100% a coconut. So I'm going with whatever the climate is it's growing.

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Indeed it is growing, I guess we just want to know if Greg takes extra care or implements some sort of mechanism to aid against winter (besides all the surrounding walls and the pool (which we do not know if it is heated or not:) that are giving it a more mild micro climate than outside). I am afraid the coconut might not give fruits though as it looks to be a tall one, he needs to find her/him a partner:). The pool alone should at least raise some degrees to the garden.

Edited by Cluster

Greg pointed out how the wall was breaking, he said it's been growing alot lately and the trunk has gotten alot fatter. He said he was gonna have to chop the coco down. Greg seems to have a sense of humor because he was just kidding.

It's kinda hard getting good pictures of it but I did the best I could. I took tons of pics to make sure I had at least a few good ones. post-9726-0-25546600-1433219003_thumb.jppost-9726-0-27385700-1433219016_thumb.jppost-9726-0-37619100-1433219031_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

I think people in south coast CA could try a similar micro-climate, if you can have a pool eve better, not only will it make the garden warmer (if it is sheltered enough) it will make contact almost directly with the ground which will warm up the roots! The Newport coconut did not have this, maybe small things like this could aid in such marginal zones:). Anyway good story, thank you for sharing I am sure there is more to come:)

Ps:I can't wait to grow my own coconuts when I get back to Madeira, coolest thing ever hehe!

Edited by Cluster

It honestly doesn't surprise me so much that it's a coconut tree growing in the Coachella Valley. What surprises me is how good it looks at the top and how fat and healthy the trunk looks. Gives me hope that I can have some cocos growing at my house too.

post-9726-0-79366000-1433220164_thumb.jppost-9726-0-56793800-1433220184_thumb.jppost-9726-0-21310400-1433220242_thumb.jppost-9726-0-11226900-1433220272_thumb.jp

Another thing that surprised me is that Greg told me that a guy came by to look at the palm tree just like I did today, about a year ago. He said the man was from San Diego and he was out here doing some work when he noticed the palm. He told Greg that he belonged to the Palm Society of Southern California. He took pictures of the palm tree and all that, but I guess he kept it a big secret from us.

• Upvote 1

Indeed it is growing, I guess we just want to know if Greg takes extra care or implements some sort of mechanism to aid against winter (besides all the surrounding walls and the pool (which we do not know if it is heated or not:) that are giving it a more mild micro climate than outside). I am afraid the coconut might not give fruits though as it looks to be a tall one, he needs to find her/him a partner:). The pool alone should at least raise some degrees to the garden.

Greg did talk about how he brought the plumerias from Hawaii at the same time as the coco. He said they grew together, the plumerias providing some protection to the coconut seedling. And also the queen palm which we thought was dying in the beginning of the thread was already growing there and provided the small coconut with some added protection.

post-9726-0-85333100-1433221872_thumb.jppost-9726-0-84976500-1433221891_thumb.jppost-9726-0-63632300-1433221914_thumb.jppost-9726-0-29795800-1433221930_thumb.jppost-9726-0-67208700-1433221944_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

The video worked for me. Thanks for taking it.

Yes the video should work for everyone now. I went back and changed the privacy settings.

That's it. I'm planting my coco in Phx. It will be the most north and eastern specimen in the U.S. And it will survive after seeing this.

I also believe it could be possible in Arizona too. Hot weather and winter is short with not a lot of rain. And I'm sure there are other places in California where cocos could have good chances to grow like Greg's palm.

Very Interesting Thread, I would love to hear more about this Palm, I hope it will make it

The fact that the guy that grows it said it also fruits, and he unlocked the secret of growing

coconuts, Makes it even more interesting,

I saw that you guys talked about Coconut Palms Living in the Desert, Well I must say it is

Possible, With a proper microclimate in it's area, Here in Israel, we have one Coco I think it is

about 10 years old now, It was brought from thailand as a sprout and it was planted near the

bay of the Dolphin Reef in the City of Eylat (the southest City in israel - total Desert) .. the temps

are high even during the winter, So the weather is stable, Not humid at all, But i belive that it's

proximity to the bay, Keeps it alive, Its the only Mature Coco Palm in Israel that i know about..

In the Center of israel the summer is very hot, Sometimes it can reach to 45C and the sun is

"Cooking" Everything, I have 2 Coco Palms Potted outside a large Containers and its partly

Shaded by Trees, but they do get decent exposure to the hot sunny rays, up untill now they

handle with it pritty well....

Looking forward to hear more about this dude and his Coco..

Cheers,

Lior.

I think it is more than obvious. The plant ia surrounded by concrete with an orange-brown mexican style color! This color absorbs and reflects a considerable amount of sun's heat even in winter, provided of course that the day is sunny, but we speak of a desert area, don't we? I have a patio with tiles of the same color next to a yard paved with whitened stones. I assure you the difference is really huge all year round whenever there is sunshine!

The pool occupying the garden should also act to keep the temperatures warmer when there is a cold night, or any night colder than it. That is why in Texas the houses not far from a certain lake can afford to have coconuts, while some other locations further away from an agent like this, are prone to have them dead more frequently. The new CA coconut has been found for sure:)

Ok here is post number 150 ~ looks healthy and more robust than it's coastal conterpart thats for sure

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

The Newport coconut was also against a structure and virtually surrounded by concrete, and it seems to have attained half the size in twice the time.

It could well be that the corner or the position where the Newport coconut used to stand was a wind swept one! And wind drives away quite fast any reflected heat. I am not familiar with the precise microclimate in Newport though, so it's only an assumption. Very often a seeminly wind protected corner, turns to be an air whirlpool...

This one is much more protected, surrounded by walls in every side with a pool to keep it slightly more mild during cold nights. Only the crown is exposed, which is nice as it gets sun 360 degrees? That is what appears to be the case anyway.

Hmm, so it's a Hawaiian tall, the same variety as the Newport Coconut....

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Keith....I like the way you think.

The pool and wall position IMO is key.....it was the same thought process I used when planting Dypsis cabadae and C. macrocarpa in zone 9a

......leaned out over the pool. Unfortunately my pool is not heated nor are the North and West winds blocked. These two factors along with dark colors create the perfect microclimate to grow Coconuts in California. Quite frankly. ....I'm suprised you guys out there with heated pools haven't already tried this.

Oh.....and start with a Hawaiian Tall....lol

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I forgot to ask Greg if he heated the pool during the cold nights, but I doubt it. It's very expensive to heat a pool specially during some very cold nights.

post-9726-0-80083700-1433257004_thumb.jppost-9726-0-92520000-1433257016_thumb.jp

We're koo-koo for coconuts! (Stole this from MattyB in another context.)

bslt13.jpg

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Yes I doubt many people heat the pools, well at least in my country we don't hehe. Still the pool will always be several degrees warmer during cold weather and it makes indirect contact with the soil. I think more people, even in the coastal areas of CA could try the wall pool approach :).

Edited by Cluster