Sign in to follow this  
sergioniebla

Phoenix canariensis pests

sergioniebla
This is my first participation in this forum. I give you the good morning
We have a serious problem with Phoenix canariensis in a garden in Queretaro, Mexico. There are 21 of which 5 are already practically dead, and another 3 or 4 have some symptoms of pest or disease. We found some larvae and pupae that may be the cause. I'll show you in the following photos.
Yesterday I was looking for possible causes. No I did not find palm weevil. I found some larvae and pupae. Pupa size is between 2 and 3 mm. and larvae between 4 and 5 mm. The pictures of the palms are the April 4 and larvae and pupae are from yesterday.
I found only one adult, but I'm not sure he is part of the problem. It is in the upper right and is 2 mm.
Could you help us with the diagnosis. We would find a way to stop and fight early, before they continue destroying more palms.
sergioniebla

post-1901-0-08604000-1432744928_thumb.jp

post-1901-0-30873400-1432744941_thumb.jp

post-1901-0-30829600-1432744973_thumb.jp

post-1901-0-68261700-1432745104_thumb.jp

post-1901-0-30466300-1432745507_thumb.jp

LJG

Just looking at this really quick I think I see secondary infestation after the plant is dead or rotting. To me it looks like Fusarium Wilt in the second palm and the bottom palm. Maybe Fusarium is killing them?

The winged insect looks like a termite.

Kostas

This is not palm borer damage, looks fungal as Len said

Monòver

I'm sure is a fungal infection.

The larvae is tipical in death palms, it is not the problem.

You must spay systemic fungicide and if is posible, water with the fungicide.

The fusarium infections start in the roots.

If the palm is infected, is very dificult save it.

Always the best is destroy the infected palms and make preventive treatmens in the healthy palms.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• RaychHasDatePalms
      By RaychHasDatePalms
      My mom is simplifying her plant collection and gave me two of what I think are parlor palms. My dad had accidentally put them directly into the sun after a long winter, so they did get sunburnt... but you know, that can be dealt with. 

We discovered after the fact, though, that they have huge amounts of SCALE. She’d had no idea and feels terrible. 

What do you think, are these past help? If not, is it safe to trim off the worst branches and then use Dawn on the rest over the course of a few weeks? If so, should I quarantine them away from my other plants, since I so far do not have scale in my own garden? Idk how readily it spreads outside. Or do we just toss both of the trees?

Here are my quick snaps: 

(Also, I have no idea what the black is)

• Grasswing
      By Grasswing
      Hello everyone,
      I've been struggling with this form of illness in some of my palms for some time now.
      As you can see in the pictures, it leaves damaged spots on my seedlings. It affected only some species, preferably Copernicia, but also Butia and few other seedlings.
      On some of them, really tiny white spots can be seen, so I was thinking that it might be a kind of mite. I had applied a spray with Pongamia pinnata extract, which helped only for a short period of time and then the problem was back, so I repeated it few times with the same outcome.
      Do you have any experience with this kind of pest? What can it be? Any tips how to eliminate it, or atleast inhibit their spreading? I am afraid that it will slowly affect all my other seedlings.
      Thank you!
      Ondra
      Photos:
      Copernicia:

Butia:

• Scot from SC
      By Scot from SC
      Hello everyone. I was watering one of my younger Sabal palmettos this evening when I noticed floating termites in the dirt around the palm. I definitely don't want them munching on its roots, and I have read that certain varieties eat live plant material. I know that termites are commonly found in the ground. I frequently will find them under pots that are on grass not only in my yard but others' yards as well. My question is will a treatment of Bayer Tree and Shrub Protect and Feed kill them? It contains Imidacloprid at .74% and Clothianidin at .37%. It is a systemic so it will be taken up by the roots. Thanks for any advice.
    • User00
      By User00
      Management of  Red palm weevil
      Rhynchophorus ferrugineus

( this document talks about controlling Red palm weevil on Coconut but it prevention methods suitable for all )

Young palms between the age of 04 -15 years are highly susceptible to Red Weevil attack. Coconut growers are advised to inspect young palms in the above age category at least once a week for early detection of Red Weevil attack. Female weevils lay eggs only on fresh wounds on young palms. Therefore, it is necessary to ensure that all fresh wounds on young palms are treated with the application of Coal tar or burnt (used) engine oil.

*Inspect all young palms at least once a week and clean the crown and the trunk of palms by carefully removing dried fronds and other material. This facilitates early identification of pest damage. Coal tar or used engine oil should be applied on fresh wounds on trunks and petioles.
      *Severely damaged palms, which are beyond recovery, should be cut, spilt and burnt
      Control methods

The recommended systemic insecticide is Monocrotophos 60%, 20 ml/coconut tree

Method of application

Trunk injection for palms, which have fully developed trunk.

Pouring of insecticide to the bud region, for young palms, which do not have fully developed trunk.

Root feeding method

Reduce the Red Weevil population by using pheromone trap.

Remove and burn all wilting or damaged palms in coconut gardens to prevent further perpetuation of the pest.

Avoid injuries on stems of palms as the wounds may serve as oviposition sites for the weevil. Fill all holes in the stem with cement.
      Avoid the cutting of green leaves. If needed, they should be cut about 120 cm away from the stem.
      Plug all holes and inject Pyrocone E or Carbaryl 1% or 10 ml of Monocrotophos into the stem by drilling a hole above the points of attack.
      Setting up of attractant traps (mud pots) containing sugarcane molasses 2½ kg or toddy 2½ litres + acetic acid 5 ml + yeast 5 g + longitudinally split tender coconut stem/logs of green petiole of leaves of 30 numbers in one acre to trap adult red palm weevils in large numbers.
       Management of black beetle

Mechanical method

Beetle is removed using a pointed metal hook and treat the wound with coal tar or used engine oil.
      Cultural methods
      Decaying  breeding grounds – decaying coconut logs and stumps should be removed and burnt.
      Mulch on the manure circle should be inspected periodically and replaced with fresh materials.
      Chemical methods
      Apply coal tar or used engine oil on leaf axils around the bud region as a repellent
      Place naphthalene balls into each of the innermost leaf axils.
      Apply insecticides;
      Carbofuran 3% at the rate of 15 g and 30 g for seedlings and young palms respectively.
      Cabofuran 10% at the rate of 10 g and 15 g for seedlings and young palms respectively.
      Method;
      Mix the recommended dose with equal amount of sand.
      Place the mixture into the leaf axils around the bud.

• Scot from SC
      By Scot from SC
      I was picking up some sabal minor seeds off the ground...there are many left on stalks. Anyway, I was popping the fruit off with my thumb nail when my nail went into the actual seed. Something white was everywhere, and upon closer inspection it was a white larvae I had popped. At first I was stressed that it might be a palmetto weavil, but my research on the internet did not mention weavils having any part of their lives in the seed. Another site mentioned sabal caterpillar as the probable pest. My question: will this insect harm my minor? Thanks!

I posted this on another forum today, and someone said that palmetto weevils do lay eggs in seeds of sabals. I don't know the upper range of this pest. I live a bit northwest of Columbia.

Here is a picture of the minor. It grows well and seems healthy.