IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis sp. 'Black Stem'

LJG

Dypsis sp. 'Black Stem' is one of the most colorful Dypsis seedlings I have grown. The white new emerging spears (like found in Albofarinosa) really contrast with the dark colors of the rest of the plant. This is a greenhouse grown palm right now. I hope the color is stable when planted outside in a few years.

My large one died that I purchased from Rancho Soledad a few years ago. Better to start this one small.

post-649-0-02569500-1432344992_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

pant pant pant

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Nice growing! Obviously hope it makes that transition for you. Would love to see some of these thrive or at least survive long term in SoCal gardens.

Wait. What is the secret? Did you unlock something super duper secret? :bemused:

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

This thread is useless with pictures!

:floor:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Nice plant Len !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Thanks guys. Definitely a cool palm. Anyone else got pics of their seedlings from RPS seed?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len thanks for the Pics. Funny you posted this because a few days ago I was in the greenhouse and thought to myself the same thing. These seedlings are crazy colorful. If i get a chance I'll take a few pics and post them. Yours is a little further along than mine but the look identical.

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Whats the verdict shade or sun for these black stem. I might plant one out and was thinking of playing it safe and going half day sun or filtered.

How old is the palm Len, ie when did RPS last have seed?

Kenny. I got mine last year from Marcus (from RPS seed). Seed came around three years ago. Didn't last long.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Whats the verdict shade or sun for these black stem. I might plant one out and was thinking of playing it safe and going half day sun or filtered.

Nick, what the hell. Takes a Black Stem to get you to post :) Load your photo when you get a chance.

Just my hunch but I think filtered light best. I saw Gary nuke his in full sun. This plant is not easy to grow. I liken it to a Dypsis psammophila here. Maybe just me but I always kill them.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I'll grab my camara and take a few shots of some of mine Sunday afternoon. They look a lot like Len's and have been in the ground here for a couple of years. One is barely multiplying and another is splitting a lot. The others are in between. At this stage they look more like they should be called Dypsis 'Red Stem'.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Here are a few of mine. Definitely not as colorful as Len's but showing some of red characteristics typical of these 'black stem' baronii.

post-181-0-29200000-1432497584_thumb.jpg post-181-0-26464000-1432497603_thumb.jpg post-181-0-53738900-1432497619_thumb.jpg

post-181-0-36880200-1432497660_thumb.jpg post-181-0-36880200-1432497660_thumb.jpg post-181-0-73639700-1432497830_thumb.jpg

post-181-0-82427800-1432497806_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Len unlocked the secret... !

Well, here is mine, which is just a baronii I bought from JoshO. Colorful, yes, but it doesn't come close to the color Len's plant has, which has red all the way up the petiole. Mine will probably lose its red color as it starts trunking and turns into plain green/yellow baronii variety.

post-9935-0-33910100-1426964846.jpg

Len's defiantly is the real thing.

I'm betting since its growing up in California's climate it will do 10X better than the plants that came in as big 15 gal's from Hawaii (RSN)

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Looks good Jim. I wish I had bought more.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len unlocked the secret... !

Well, here is mine, which is just a baronii I bought from JoshO. Colorful, yes, but it doesn't come close to the color Len's plant has, which has red all the way up the petiole. Mine will probably lose its red color as it starts trunking and turns into plain green/yellow baronii variety.

post-9935-0-33910100-1426964846.jpg

looking good pando. Nicely grown :greenthumb:

• Like 1

Sunset zone 24

Her ya go Len. I germinated the seeds which is probably why yours is so much further along coming from Hawaii.

post-611-0-04221300-1432581820_thumb.jpg

post-611-0-27324300-1432581835_thumb.jpg

post-611-0-18833700-1432581847_thumb.jpg

Edited by ellidro
  • Like 1

How do I turn these photos?

They look good Nick. How many do you have? ;)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Three. Aaron and I bought 10 seeds and only three pulled though.

These are labeled as 'black petiole', purchased from Floribunda approximately 3 years ago. Photographs taken today

The pot size is 15 cm diameter by 18 cm tall.

post-31-0-37706800-1432594991_thumb.jpg post-31-0-14824600-1432595062_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

:greenthumb::greenthumb::drool::drool::yay::yay:

Sunset zone 24

• 5 months later...

Wait. What is the secret? Did you unlock something super duper secret? :bemused:

The hawper, Bill:D 

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 4 years later...

So, seriously, what’s the secret? The ones I get from Floribunda are slow and seem to not like shade. The seeds I got from RPS are slow as heck. 

F2EB3254-2F88-4DAB-91AD-1C0E2187D436.jpeg

• Like 1

I had forgotton about this older thread,  lately I have thought of starting a new thread regarding the various color forms.  I will elaborate on this in the next few days, super busy now.   :)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

On 6/27/2020 at 1:20 PM, Matt in OC said:

So, seriously, what’s the secret? The ones I get from Floribunda are slow and seem to not like shade. The seeds I got from RPS are slow as heck. 

Bump!

10 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Bump!

Matt, they are slow. Just me, but I found a quality, free-draining organic mix to be key. I also find they do enjoy shade until they get some size. 

Looking forward to what Darold says.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin