Sign in to follow this  
LJG

Dypsis sp. 'Black Stem'

LJG

Dypsis sp. 'Black Stem' is one of the most colorful Dypsis seedlings I have grown. The white new emerging spears (like found in Albofarinosa) really contrast with the dark colors of the rest of the plant. This is a greenhouse grown palm right now. I hope the color is stable when planted outside in a few years.

My large one died that I purchased from Rancho Soledad a few years ago. Better to start this one small.

post-649-0-02569500-1432344992_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

DoomsDave

pant pant pant

Kennybenjamin

Wow!!!! Wish I could get my hands on one of these!! Looks fantastic Len!!

Pedro 65

post-649-0-02569500-1432344992_thumb.jpg Lookn V Healthy Len :greenthumb: Pete

George Sparkman
Great looking plant Len.
It just looks so strong & healthy.

Firepalm

Nice growing! Obviously hope it makes that transition for you. Would love to see some of these thrive or at least survive long term in SoCal gardens.

Hilo Jason

Very nice!

BS Man about Palms

Wait. What is the secret? Did you unlock something super duper secret? :bemused:

• Upvote 1

richnorm

If it keeps clumping at that rate it will cover a few acres. Yes, I'm jealous!

Gonzer

This thread is useless with pictures!

• Upvote 1

Palmdude

It's no secret, that's a gorgeous palm!

Moose

This thread is useless with pictures!

:floor:

Tassie_Troy1971

Nice plant Len !

LJG

Thanks guys. Definitely a cool palm. Anyone else got pics of their seedlings from RPS seed?

Kennybenjamin

How old is the palm Len, ie when did RPS last have seed?

ellidro

Len thanks for the Pics. Funny you posted this because a few days ago I was in the greenhouse and thought to myself the same thing. These seedlings are crazy colorful. If i get a chance I'll take a few pics and post them. Yours is a little further along than mine but the look identical.

ellidro

Whats the verdict shade or sun for these black stem. I might plant one out and was thinking of playing it safe and going half day sun or filtered.

LJG

How old is the palm Len, ie when did RPS last have seed?

Kenny. I got mine last year from Marcus (from RPS seed). Seed came around three years ago. Didn't last long.

LJG

Whats the verdict shade or sun for these black stem. I might plant one out and was thinking of playing it safe and going half day sun or filtered.

Nick, what the hell. Takes a Black Stem to get you to post :) Load your photo when you get a chance.

Just my hunch but I think filtered light best. I saw Gary nuke his in full sun. This plant is not easy to grow. I liken it to a Dypsis psammophila here. Maybe just me but I always kill them.

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos

I'll grab my camara and take a few shots of some of mine Sunday afternoon. They look a lot like Len's and have been in the ground here for a couple of years. One is barely multiplying and another is splitting a lot. The others are in between. At this stage they look more like they should be called Dypsis 'Red Stem'.

Jim in Los Altos

Here are a few of mine. Definitely not as colorful as Len's but showing some of red characteristics typical of these 'black stem' baronii.

post-181-0-29200000-1432497584_thumb.jpg post-181-0-26464000-1432497603_thumb.jpg post-181-0-53738900-1432497619_thumb.jpg

post-181-0-36880200-1432497660_thumb.jpg post-181-0-36880200-1432497660_thumb.jpg post-181-0-73639700-1432497830_thumb.jpg

post-181-0-82427800-1432497806_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Pando

Len unlocked the secret... !

Well, here is mine, which is just a baronii I bought from JoshO. Colorful, yes, but it doesn't come close to the color Len's plant has, which has red all the way up the petiole. Mine will probably lose its red color as it starts trunking and turns into plain green/yellow baronii variety.

post-9935-0-33910100-1426964846.jpg

Josh-O

Len's defiantly is the real thing.

I'm betting since its growing up in California's climate it will do 10X better than the plants that came in as big 15 gal's from Hawaii (RSN)

LJG

Looks good Jim. I wish I had bought more.

Josh-O

Len unlocked the secret... !

Well, here is mine, which is just a baronii I bought from JoshO. Colorful, yes, but it doesn't come close to the color Len's plant has, which has red all the way up the petiole. Mine will probably lose its red color as it starts trunking and turns into plain green/yellow baronii variety.

post-9935-0-33910100-1426964846.jpg

looking good pando. Nicely grown :greenthumb:

• Like 1

ellidro

Her ya go Len. I germinated the seeds which is probably why yours is so much further along coming from Hawaii.

post-611-0-04221300-1432581820_thumb.jpg

post-611-0-27324300-1432581835_thumb.jpg

post-611-0-18833700-1432581847_thumb.jpg

Edited by ellidro
  • Like 1

ellidro

How do I turn these photos?

LJG

They look good Nick. How many do you have? ;)

ellidro

Three. Aaron and I bought 10 seeds and only three pulled though.

Darold Petty

These are labeled as 'black petiole', purchased from Floribunda approximately 3 years ago. Photographs taken today

The pot size is 15 cm diameter by 18 cm tall.

post-31-0-37706800-1432594991_thumb.jpg post-31-0-14824600-1432595062_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Ben in Norcal

We should try one of those in the heat of the East Bay, Darold. :mrlooney:

Nice plants!

Josh-O

Cindy Adair

All are stunning!

Moose

Wait. What is the secret? Did you unlock something super duper secret? :bemused:

The hawper, Bill:D 

• Upvote 1

Matt in OC

So, seriously, what’s the secret? The ones I get from Floribunda are slow and seem to not like shade. The seeds I got from RPS are slow as heck. 

F2EB3254-2F88-4DAB-91AD-1C0E2187D436.jpeg

• Like 1

Darold Petty

I had forgotton about this older thread,  lately I have thought of starting a new thread regarding the various color forms.  I will elaborate on this in the next few days, super busy now.   :)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Matt in OC
On 6/27/2020 at 1:20 PM, Matt in OC said:

So, seriously, what’s the secret? The ones I get from Floribunda are slow and seem to not like shade. The seeds I got from RPS are slow as heck. 

Bump!

LJG
10 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Bump!

Matt, they are slow. Just me, but I found a quality, free-draining organic mix to be key. I also find they do enjoy shade until they get some size. 

Looking forward to what Darold says.

• Upvote 1