IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

California doubt buster coming?

LJG

Don't dought it for a moment :floor:

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I'm not sure if that was a tongue in cheek title or just a faux pas... Either way I heard this from a forecaster last week or so and I just hope its true... likely to coincide with when I gear up to finish the rest of my home remodel of course.. :bemused:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'm not sure if that was a tongue in cheek title or just a faux pas... Either way I heard this from a forecaster last week or so and I just hope its true... likely to coincide with when I gear up to finish the rest of my home remodel of course.. :bemused:

Bill, it seems you only work on your house during El Nino years :)

Yes, thanks Peachy for pointing out my error. Had to of been an iPhone auto-correct :)

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

It's déjà vu all over again.

Exactly one year ago today - another PalmTalk El Niño prediction. And we all know how wet the following winter was - not.

A MASSIVE EL NINO IS BREWING OUT IN THE PACIFIC

The poster had no doubt:

The 2014 El Nino could be a record monster El Nino, experts predict. See http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/04/this-years-el-nino-could-grow-monster Global warming is in full swing, and this monster is only going to contribute to more record warmth. It's gonna be a scorching hot Summer out West, and it's gonna be a warm wet Winter as well.

Predictions of the nasty El Nino have already affected the Indian stock market, stay tuned, could be some serious carnage out there.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I hope to heck he is right. One thing that confuses me is that the 'warming' of the Pacific is usually localized......last year the NorCal oceans temps were especially warm, and remained so up until about a month ago.....one would be led to believe that when the buoys are recording 60 plus degrees in the waters off the SF Bay that the warming of the Pacific is upon us....and the resultant 'El Nino' should accompany it.....well, it di not happen but we had one of the warmest winters on record without significant rainfall.

About 4 weeks ago, the same buoys are now recording temps in the Pacific offshore SF Bay in the high 40's; we are having now the coolest month (May) in many years and the first one in 4 months that is under the long term average temps......and we are getting spurts of rain...... I do not recall the last time that we saw rain in May.

I am beginning to think that the El Nino is just a bunch of hooey..........

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

:yay: We're getting ready to open up a hole in a roof soon . . it'll rain - trust me.

That is taking the "wash your car to make it rain thing" to the next level

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Torrential rains dropped on many parts of the Bay Area today. I witnessed several freeway lane closures due to the huge runoff. It's still raining here now. Some forecasters think that the current strengthening El Niño will create summer storms not typical here. Let's hope so.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

It missed us this afternoon when everyone else was getting downpours, hail and thunder and lighting. Hubby said it was drenching at his office. At one point our electricity quickly shut off and came back on and the skies north and east of us looked like they were getting some. Hopefully rain fell in the reservoir to the east of us. Just checked Wunderground radar and it's showing rain coming up south of us towards the Bay area and hopefully we will see some from this band.

Evening news said northern California may get some rain next week. All good.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

SoCal is getting rain too; SD weather service issued this:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SAN DIEGO HAS ISSUED A

* URBAN AND SMALL STREAM FLOOD ADVISORY FOR...
WESTERN SAN DIEGO COUNTY IN SOUTHWESTERN CALIFORNIA...
SOUTHWESTERN RIVERSIDE COUNTY IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA...

* UNTIL MIDNIGHT PDT

* AT 947 PM PDT...DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO INDICATE AREAS OF HEAVY
RAIN. THIS WILL CAUSE URBAN AND SMALL STREAM FLOODING IN THE
ADVISORY AREA. MOST OF THE HEAVY RAIN WILL BE LOCALIZED AS IT WILL
OCCUR ALONG BANDS OF SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS THAT MOVE
EAST TO NORTHEAST AT 20 MPH. LOCAL RAINFALL RATES WILL BE ONE-HALF
TO ONE INCH PER HOUR...BUT NEARBY LOCATIONS COULD RECEIVE
RELATIVELY LIGHT RAINFALL.

* SOME LOCATIONS THAT COULD EXPERIENCE FLOODING INCLUDE... CHULA
VISTA...OCEANSIDE...CARLSBAD...TEMECULA...EL CAJON...VISTA...
ENCINITAS...NATIONAL CITY...LA MESA...SOUTHERN LAKE ELSINORE...
POWAY...IMPERIAL BEACH...RAMONA...CORONADO...DEL MAR...ALPINE...
FALLBROOK...MISSION BEACH...HILLCREST AND POINT LOMA.MAXWELL

Plenty of rain here in coastal Carlsbad last night and still raining as of 9:55 am

My Dypsis are loving it :greenthumb:

yeah!!

Now I can get away without irrigating for a whole week.. :)

yeah!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Bob was telling me he got 1.7 inches. I am maybe 7 miles south and only got .5. Crazy how the bands kept running through his and your property in Vista last night and this morning.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Torrential rains dropped on many parts of the Bay Area today. I witnessed several freeway lane closures due to the huge runoff. It's still raining here now. Some forecasters think that the current strengthening El Niño will create summer storms not typical here. Let's hope so.

Jim,

This would be a blessing on several levels....we would have a more humid environment and many of the palms we love will thrive; the water restrictions we will be under will be much less impactful, both on our gardens and on out water bills (and the threat of being fined), and finally we might just get storm doors open early this fall, which we haven't seen in many years.. but (there is always a but, isn't there) as I stated in my earlier post, I am beginning to think that El Nino is a bunch of hooey......I'll go with global warming, which should give us more rain due to higher evaporation over the oceans...according to the 'experts'.

My garden seems much happier today as well! Out to plant some cactus now! :winkie:

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"