IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tassie Troy's Garden 2015

Tassie_Troy1971

Looking fantastic Troy, good to see the Brahea Armata doing so well!

How's the Trithrinax going?

Thanks Guys

Pete cant remember if i posted the Trithrinax will have a look tomorrow.

Ben - your collection is as inspiring as it can get ! :greenthumb: :greenthumb:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

For Peter G Trithrinax acanthacoma

IMG_7408.jpg

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Everything looks perfect Troy. Well done. You must be the Rhopie king now.

Also I didn't know that Hobart got 450-500mm rain annually. I thought it was wetter down there.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

hi Tyrone

Yes i have a good collection of Rhopalostylis

Auckland white flower "upright version " from Jonathan

Great Barrier Island - from Pogobob

Chatham Island from Pogobob

South Island from Pogobob

Baueri from Pogobob

Waipatiki bay North Island variety from Benz

East cape ( still only tiny ) from Peter G

Baueri Cheesmanii AKA purple crownshaft from Pogobob collected from Ron Stricklands place in San Clemente .

Seedlings from Colin wilsons R sapida ( unknown providence )

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Thank you Akaranus i just had a look at your garden !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Wow, that is one beautiful garden! Great palms, and the use of xeric plants and colour is really great...nice work!

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Nice work Troy,truly amazing and colourfull garden!Hopefully make it down there one of these days and you can show me the sights....better still,maybe a few Rat packers could plan a mini tour of the Apple Isle...watch this space!....cheers Mike. ps the mule palm is CRANKING! :drool:

Congrats Troy. Your garden and your photos chronicling your adventures and the gardens of others are second to none. Well done sir.

Great work Troy! I really love all the accent plants, rocks, etc. Hope I get the chance to see it in person some day. Eventually it will just be one beautiful oceanic forest of palms!

Looks very awesome Troy. You’ve done an excellent job on the new home landscaping. I love coastal garden because you can grow so many different palms and exotic from around the world.

Your garden is so vibrant and that’s what I love the most.

- Roger.

Edited by Palm crazy

NICE!!! I approve this garden. That's a major turn around from the barren land just a few years ago.

Looking fantastic Troy :greenthumb: :greenthumb: :greenthumb: , is that the Brahea armata I gave you? Its growing a lot better than mine.

I'll have to come down soon and look at the garden again.

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

:greenthumb::greenthumb:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Mike Newcal Ye the Mule is cranking by Tasmanian growth Standards anyway !

You are due for a visit down here Summer and avoid the stifling heat !

Thanks Rusty i like the desert area (although it hasn't stopped raining for days )

and Hammer i like photo documenting my adventures

Firepalm an oceanic forest of palms! sounds great plenty of Rhopies to grow up thats for sure.

Thanks palm crazy i like the many different colors that you use in your garden too.

Big frond its great to look back on old pictures and see how everything has grown

Sol (Nomolos ) you are well overdue for a visit !

No it's a different Brahea armata the one from you is Glacial for some reason ??

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Glacial? what is that?

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Very slow growth - some palms of the same species differ in growth rate some are runts and some are rockets

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Peachy

Talk of moving from QLD to TAS to grow palms??? I've heard it all now :floor:

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Love it. One thing though, I think that planted lepi may be on the ropes and could do with some H2O2. Can't quite be sure from the photo but they do seem to have a habit of chucking out a few smaller leaves but often seem to recover on their own.

Love it. One thing though, I think that planted lepi may be on the ropes and could do with some H2O2. Can't quite be sure from the photo but they do seem to have a habit of chucking out a few smaller leaves but often seem to recover on their own.

Norm the planted Lepidorrachis was transplanted from one part of the garden to another spot 5 months ago. I broke quite a few of it's roots as i pulled it out :bummed: and it threw out a shrunken leaf but has bounced back to a normal sized frond now and is growing well. is on a bubbler connected to an automatic irrigation system and is always moist.

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Well done with the Hedyscepes Troy, they must love your climate.

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Yes Mike the Hedyscepes grow like escapee's in the ground and i have another 50 in the Shade house that come from Pogobobs garden.

post-1252-0-44597500-1431423792_thumb.gi

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Hi Troy, that's an amazing collection of succulents, Geoff must be in awe as well, a well rounded colletion too, thanks for all the hard work, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

This is an incredible garden. I'm speechless.

Joe Monkey

Fort Lauderdale, FL

zone 10B+

Very nice! :)

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

It was disconcerting to see a few bromeliads (a spotted one looked like an Orthophytum) that would seem at home in the Florida steambath. I suspect that New Zealand breeders, in particular, have worked with plants that live at higher elevations in the tropics, and therefore like the oceanic climate.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I went to Troys garden the other day and the growth is phenomenal. The washingtonia trunk is about the fattest I have ever seen.

He is a true master grower :greenthumb:

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

I went to Troys garden the other day and the growth is phenomenal. The washingtonia trunk is about the fattest I have ever seen.

He is a true master grower :greenthumb:

Time to get the automatic irrigation system Sol and the drippers :interesting:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

• 4 years later...

Recognised that had seen this place on here when this came up on my youtube feed today

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Firepalm said:

The garden is looking great Troy! Nice work! Love all of your ferns and companion plants.

Its wonderful  that ABCTV's Gardening Australia recognises  how significant Troy's garden is.  He has a gift for placement , so his garden is a real work of art , with surprises and splashes of colour everywhere . Like all the palm people I have come across he is incredibly  generous with his time and his plants and it has been a privelege to have had him as a mentor for  me and my palm garden here in Hobart over the last 5 years.  

Well done Troy !

PS In all my visits to Troy's place I have never noticed that  curious infestation of seagulls heard at the beginning of the tv segment  ! Maybe they were attracted by the ABC's drone ! LOL

Yes, looking good Troy,  we were surprised to see you and the garden on TV the other night quite by accident.

Before they told us, I said "Look lizzy I know whose garden that is!" 

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Great garden Troy well done!

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Troy spectacular garden! Congrats on your segment on television that by the way is seen worldwide. Even though I am in the USA I have been a loyal Gardening Australia viewer through their podcast rebroadcast.  Loved the feature on you and your garden.  Don't know how you do it in such a cool climate.  Looks fantastic, might need to borrow some tricks from you during our short cold spells.

Lou St. Aug, FL