IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhododendron and Azaleas in the pnw.

Palm crazy

May is peak season for spring Rhodies and Azaleas. Unlike the winter blooming counterparts spring bloomers are more vibrant with some hotter colours for spring.

A short walk and here are some that I found in the hood.

Rhodedendrons….

DSC00001_zpswyjdgeol.jpg

DSC00005_zpsczxc5qdi.jpg

DSC00009_zpsmrgsq9fo.jpg

DSC00010_zpsipv9cwoc.jpg

DSC00014_zps4pdl8jdq.jpg

Don’t see many white dogwoods here, mostly pink.

DSC00018_zpspswgqr8p.jpg

last of the late tulips blooming.

DSC00020_zpsauhd8dmw.jpg

DSC00022_zps3b11ybic.jpg

Just spectacular? Some of the photos almost appear to be bougainvilleas.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Awesome. They are a difficult grow for me due to my soil and summer drought. It is great to so many different colours.

Gorgeous. Can't get enough of Azaleas.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Just spectacular? Some of the photos almost appear to be bougainvilleas.

Thats what I was thinking when I saw the pic too. LOL! Thanks for the nice comments Pip and Keith.

Originally from the Orlando area, I miss this yearly event. Leu Gardens literally explodes in color. Unfortunately down in South Florida we don't get the cool weather spelling for these beauties to maintain vigor. They struggle here from the weather and our calcareous soil. They really flourish in acidic soil.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Originally from the Orlando area, I miss this yearly event. Leu Gardens literally explodes in color. Unfortunately down in South Florida we don't get the cool weather spelling for these beauties to maintain vigor. They struggle here from the weather and our calcareous soil. They really flourish in acidic soil.

Don't really see thin in Cali, either. I suspect due to the dry summers. Even here where we get lots of rainfall, it is a bear to get them established and through their first summer.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages