IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Louisiana and Palms

_Keith

So, Louisiana is not exactly a palm mecca. Tough climate for all but a few of them for sure, with our crazy 20 year average Arctic blast. Probably the only thing we might lay claim to with our abundant lowlands is the Sabal minor capital of the world, and we have some solid competition on that one. But at any rate, this may just be our most famous palm image. Fellow Louisianan's feel free to add on to this thread.

post-1207-0-43978600-1429999363_thumb.jp

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Palming is a lot like cooking . . .

You make the best with the ingredients you have.

That picture cooks! :greenthumb:

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Keith - any idea how old those palms are ?

I suspect they are ancient specimens. :interesting:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Keith - any idea how old those palms are ?

I suspect they are ancient specimens. :interesting:

I have tried to figure that out Ron. I just found a picture from 1909 that possibly shows them. Or maybe the picture is not from then. Heck, this is hard.

They are certainly not the first or only palms to have been planted in that courtyard, as many older photos show, but they are clearly the only ones remaining.

post-1207-0-19504200-1430005154_thumb.jp

• Like 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

From 1900, it that one on the right?

post-1207-0-87045400-1430005536_thumb.jp

• Like 1

defiantly antiques for sure.

great pic's!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

There are Sabal minors growing in the bottom lands around Shreveport in NW Louisiana where I grew up. Even in that part of the state there is still a lot of swamps like this on Caddo Lake.

caddo02_fs.jpg

This might just be the granddady of Sabal minors located near New Orleans.

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2005/03/14/peteywheatstraw/a4786e.jpg

There used to be a lot of Indians in Lousiana and they left behind their burial mounds like these on the LSU campus.

mounds.jpg

I never saw any Indians while I was at LSU, I guess the Tigers at them all.

I had the privilege of Governor Edwin Edwards addressing us at commencement.

screen-shot-2014-03-18-at-4-07-42-am.png

Ed in Houston

If you drive north from Lafayette to Shreveport on I-49 in the winter when you can see into the forest, you will see thousands upon thousands of Sabal minor.

Other than that, no reason to ever come here. http://pulptastic.com/22-reasons-never-visit-louisiana/

LA is no fun at all.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Keith, thinking of where you live, I would think these are bulletproof: Sabal palmetto(other Sabal species as well I would guess), Serenoa, Butia(a few species as well), Chamaerops(some neat variations in this genus too), hardy variety of Queens? A few Phoenix varieties, Jubaea hybrids(other cocosoid hybrids as well), Rhapidophyllum, Livistona chinensis and maybe a couple other species, Brahea species, Washingtonia, Trachycarpus, and maybe an Arenga or two. Please set me straight on my list, but that's just off the top of my head and that sounds like a super palmy yard(I bet there are maybe 5 more species, at least that could be tried with decent success). Interested in hearing back from you on this.

• 5 years later...

Close.  Queens are a no.  Mules will survive, but with 100% burn.  Cham radicalis and microspadix bullet proof.   Washies and Livies are a maybe, filibusta are solid, all will experience 100% foliage loss, same with Aregna.  Trachy suffer more from heat than cold.  For the last decade roughly every 3rd winter, I have to put with ugly recovering palms for 2 year and just when they start to look good again.   Euro fans are fine as are needle palms.

• Like 5

Keith! Still lurking? I’m surprised on your outlook on mules. A few years back after polar vortex 17 F your mule looked pretty good to me. 
seems to be some pretty old livistona chinensis around south Louisiana too. 
btw is the avocado still alive?

• Like 1