IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

When to Plant Trachycarpus Fortunei Seedlings Outside

newtopalms

I recently planted some Trachycarpus Fortunei seeds which are just beginning to sprout. I'm wondering when I should plant these outside. I live in Southern Oregon, Zone 8A, and summer is approaching. Should I plant these outside at the beginning of summer, or wait until next year? It would be difficult to wait because I don't have much space inside for 10 palm seedlings.

Edited by newtopalms

If you must plant them, plant them in the summer. Protect them the first few winters to be on the safe side because they're so young. If you have issues with squirrels or rodents then you will need to create a barrier to keep them out.

Edited by ArchAngeL01

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

I have planted a 4 year old seedling of Trachycarpus wagnerianus outside in Heidelberg/Germany (according to Betrock's Cold Hardy Palms 2005: p. 132 in European Zone 7) in April 2007 and documented its growth at Flickr:

2007-2013: https://www.flickr.com/photos/palmeir/9566373128/in/album-72157636010262104

January 2015: https://www.flickr.com/photos/palmeir/16115170979/in/album-72157636010262104/

In case of Tr. wagnerianus and fortunei it is most important (especially in winters without snowfall) to protect the roots and surrounding soil against heavy or long frosts; otherwise the plant will dry out.

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Medford has long hot summer so the sooner you get them planted the better (if you can’t wait till next Spring that is.)

Trachycarpus like to set down long roots even at a young age so better in the ground the better for them. Your summers are hot and dry so make sure you give them plenty of water.

Edited by Palm crazy

• 2 weeks later...

My climate is completely different than yours. Trachy seedlings do not do well in the ground here and grow at a snails pace even in filtered light. On the other hand if I keep them in a pot they grow quickly. I absolutely won't plant anything smaller than a root bound 2g here (including washingtonia filifera) and rarely plant smaller than a 5G to keep palms from stalling out.