IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Free Chamadorea radicalis seed!

DoomsDave

7 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Mine sprouted in 3 weeks

Wow, that's fast. Which method you used?

Rio_Grande.gif

Pardon, if I missed it somewhere along the thread, but is it necessary to clean the seeds?  It is optional, but helps, are absolutely necessary.   I have a few of my own to germinate.

IMG_6891.JPG

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

6 minutes ago, _Keith said:

Pardon, if I missed it somewhere along the thread, but is it necessary to clean the seeds?  It is optional, but helps, are absolutely necessary.   I have a few of my own to germinate.

The way I see it, no one is cleaning the seeds in nature (except perhaps some animals passing them through the digestive tract). The fruit gives important nutrients to the seedling once it's in the ground. It also provides an incentive to the animals/birds to spread the seed.

I believe that cleaning is necessary for germination in a sterile medium in controlled conditions to avoid fungus that can thrive on the decaying fruit. But I don't think it's necessary to clean the seeds if you're just sticking them to a community pot outside.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Pando said:

The way I see it, no one is cleaning the seeds in nature (except perhaps some animals passing them through the digestive tract). The fruit gives important nutrients to the seedling once it's in the ground. It also provides an incentive to the animals/birds to spread the seed.

I believe that cleaning is necessary for germination in a sterile medium in controlled conditions to avoid fungus that can thrive on the decaying fruit. But I don't think it's necessary to clean the seeds if you're just sticking them to a community pot outside.

OK, I'll have them for dinner and then poop in the pots.   Seed + ferts.  Very sustainable.

• Upvote 3

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

2 hours ago, _Keith said:

OK, I'll have them for dinner and then poop in the pots.   Seed + ferts.  Very sustainable.

Some people were actually going to do that with some Lemuriophoenix, till they saw how big the seeds were.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, Pando said:

Totally agree!  For many palms from temerate regions (with clear dry seasons) and from dry areas fruit flesh plays the role of water sponge! The not at all or barely edible fruit flesh swells during the raining season providing the endocarp with the needed moisture for the coming warm and dry season. But in this case fresh air rich in oxygen and draft or breeze are also  necessary for fungus prevention or limitation, conditions available only outdoors.

I've gotten a bit of the fuzzy fungus on some seeds, and it usually doesn't hurt the seedlings, unless it's a super-humid environment, which I'm not able to sustain for long.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 12/8/2015, 2:16:12, Pando said:

So, this kept weighing on my mind.  Of course you are right that no-one cleans seeds in nature.  But then again, nature does not operate like we do.   Nature is happy for a seed or two of the thousands it drops to germinate.  And it is happy when just a fraction of those that do germinate reach adulthood.   We on the other hand want very high germination rates and want the majority of those to become successful palms.  Thus I am not sure we can achieve our objectives mimicking nature.

• Upvote 2

My microspandix drops seeds all the time. They sprout on their own under the tree without a problem. Every spring I have a fresh batch of seedlings.

These are seedlings from last falls crop.

a2ut8o.jpg

Edited by Laaz
  • Upvote 1

Some seed coatings contain growth inhibitors which delay sprouting till conditions are right.

• Upvote 1

Let us know how the babies are doing!

• 2 months later...

Palmy love ppl,

a quick update on some older Daves radicalis offsprings :)

IMAG6898_zps46ggssaf.jpg

IMAG6897_zpsudx2p0zj.jpg

some just about to flourish :blush:

IMAG6905_zpsxtcdppmm.jpg

IMAG6906_zpsuj9mwcgo.jpg

IMAG6907_zpsv6lijc1c.jpg

:greenthumb:

• Upvote 5

On 3/12/2016, 10:48:00, dalmatiansoap said:

Palmy love ppl,

a quick update on some older Daves radicalis offsprings :)

IMAG6898_zps46ggssaf.jpg

IMAG6897_zpsudx2p0zj.jpg

some just about to flourish :blush:

IMAG6905_zpsxtcdppmm.jpg

IMAG6906_zpsuj9mwcgo.jpg

IMAG6907_zpsv6lijc1c.jpg

:greenthumb:

Always nice to spread the Palmy Love!

Took only a day for my wife to discover I moved my seedlings into living room under a table light. She was not happy.

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, sashaeffer said:

Took only a day for my wife to discover I moved my seedlings into living room under a table light. She was not happy.

image.jpeg

:36_14_15[1]:We love Dave and wives hate him !!!!

• Upvote 1

Rio_Grande.gif

29 minutes ago, foxtail said:

:36_14_15[1]:We love Dave and wives hate him !!!!

Let's not read too much into that . . . . :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Let's not read too much into that . . . . :rolleyes:

Hahahahahaha!!!!! :floor:

• Upvote 1

Rio_Grande.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Dave got my seeds yesterday. Now I'm gonna sow them. Did any of yall sowed without soaking the seeds in water?

6 hours ago, earthworm73 said:

Dave got my seeds yesterday. Now I'm gonna sow them. Did any of yall sowed without soaking the seeds in water?

I soak them; it's easy and yuo can do it overnight. Unless you have to plant them before going to the airport for that dream vacation yuo've waited so long for. (They don't soak in Mother Nature's garden . . . )

5 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

I soak them; it's easy and yuo can do it overnight. Unless you have to plant them before going to the airport for that dream vacation yuo've waited so long for. (They don't soak in Mother Nature's garden . . . )

Okay thanks. Guess I'll be peeling the dried fruit away then soaking. Sowing will begin tomorrow. Hoping they are in a hurry to sprout. I'll put the inside of my very warm (okay hot) greenhouse.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

Reporting back in: Today i potted up the  sprouts from the bag as they were trying to "escape the baggie": i now have 25 seedlings (meaning pretty much 100% germination rate as expected). I will honour your call to "spread the palmy love" and distribute part of these to Chaemaedorea fans in Netherlands/Belgium - and there are quite a few of them.

Yesterday i heard reports of radicalis and microspadix surviving last winter outdoors in my neck of the woods (Zone 7) with minimal damage  - in some places temps dropped to as far as -7/-8°C this winter, so these babies are really tough to kill!

On 3/14/2016, 9:28:40, sashaeffer said:

image.jpeg

I bet when they get a little bigger you could make a nice indoor plant with a trio or some grouping of those. Get a nice decorative pot, set them near a windowsill and your wife might appreciate you beautifying the house rather than feel you're turning the living room into a garden shed.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

9 hours ago, redbeard917 said:

I bet when they get a little bigger you could make a nice indoor plant with a trio or some grouping of those. Get a nice decorative pot, set them near a windowsill and your wife might appreciate you beautifying the house rather than feel you're turning the living room into a garden shed.

Oh, I have over 100 palm in the house......and another order coming from Floribunda she doesn't know about yet. I've given up trying to hide shipping boxes after palms arrive.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2015‎ ‎6‎:‎38‎:‎42‎, JubaeaMan138 said:

I did them in soil in a germination box temp around 82 degrees

Do you mind either posting a pic of or explaining your germination box? I think I might wanna build one just looking for some ideas.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine won't germinate. They were exposed to 14F last January when I was in PA. Do you think they still have a chance? 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Hey Dave - I kept meaning to - but keep forgetting to - Mine are growing nicely now. 

For those asking about when to plant, etc - it makes no difference I've found - They were planted in mid November (in a warm plant house) - and germinated pretty fast as most Chamaedorea do.