IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Free Chamadorea radicalis seed!

DoomsDave

Konstandinos, I used the medium granulometry zeolite, not the powder. What had happened was that i noticed to much humidity dripping from the container walls, and i thought to open it up for some time to allow some moisture out. I returned few hours later to find it dry and the already germinated seeds dessicated, I know that had i kept it closed, there wouldnt be any problem, but sometimes you just cant sit there watching for the perfect timing to do something.

On the other hand, i germinated eucalyptus seeds in attapoulgite, 3 days after sowing in an airtight container. With the seedlings at 2cm height, i had to open the container to prevent damping off and to allow some light to the seedlings. 3 days open now, and i misted lightly only once a day just to keep the surface moist. Couple mm below surface and it is still moist as i had prepared it from the beginning.

Dave, the palminess is surely spreading here in Cyprus and you are partly responsible for it :mrlooney:

Farkonis, is zeolite of medium granulometry this size?:

post-6141-0-24865200-1433936342_thumb.jppost-6141-0-21229000-1433936366_thumb.jp

As you can see also in this fairly big size it can withhold and preserve a big amount of moisture in an airtight enviroment. In the pictures seeds of Sabal mexicana germinated quite fast in the coarse zeolite.

Wow, zeolite!

Gonna run out and get some . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ive 0% germination so far :( I will take them out of the prop.

They'll take a number of months.

They're not like beans . . . .

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

38 C is to much for the most cool loving Chamaedorea. I fear seeds will rot. Room temperature in the UK this time of year is way more suitable... Never thought before treating radicalis seeds like beans :hmm:, are they edible? :)

Edited by Phoenikakias

I have 2 germinated :yay:

I now have a dedicated "Chamaedorea radicalis-only" area that hopefully a few will make it to with the 2 others!

• 2 weeks later...

Checked 'em last night, they're starting to pop!

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They do take a while. They're from Mexico, where the conditions can be tough, and sometimes survival comes to those who wait . . . .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More seeds to share?

Soon.

Will announce.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

great work 

i'm little late 

Want some? PM me your address. I've sent some to that other country, right next to yours . . . .

Seeds mailed off today!

As I thundered down the street on the way to a little Friday Night fun, stuffed the mail box on the way.

These seeds are a mixture of fresh-harvested, and been around.

All should sprout. Don't worry if they're a bit moldy.

Soak at least a day or so in water. If they float, that's okay, the dried seed coat makes them float.

Put them in a pot with about 8 cm 3" of well-drained potting soil, cover lightly and keep moist but not wet. And wait. These don't pop as fast as some do. They may take months.

• Upvote 1

Just got an envelope from you with these - thank you very much - let me know if I can ever return the favor.

Best, Jude

On 8/11/2015, 4:46:32, CYPALMS said:

Looking good!

post-7822-0-11595500-1439286366_thumb.jp

So, that germination rate beats anything I have seen previously   I read through the thread, and thank you for being so thorough, anything else?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Wow, post times are getting better. They usually take 3 or more weeks overseas.

Lucas:

Good to hear!

Hope you see it in your heart to share (or create a bodacious thicket in your garden).

Looks like the plant in your picture is a "tree-type" which will reach about 6 - 8 feet tall.

I'm curious to know how many turned out like that. The first batch was from plants in my yard that had females that were tree type and males that were bush type. Looks like the tree type is "dominant" as genticists (and dominatrixes) like to say.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Dave

I have received your "Chamadorea radicalis seed" :)

Put them in Sphagnum Peat Moss and waiting for first sprout ...

On 19/11/2015, 11:17:33, DoomsDave said:

Lucas:

Good to hear!

Hope you see it in your heart to share (or create a bodacious thicket in your garden).

Looks like the plant in your picture is a "tree-type" which will reach about 6 - 8 feet tall.

I'm curious to know how many turned out like that. The first batch was from plants in my yard that had females that were tree type and males that were bush type. Looks like the tree type is "dominant" as genticists (and dominatrixes) like to say.

I tend to agree that finally both forms while still youngsters look different. Federico gave me some of such seeds and all resulted seedlings seem identical to this one in the above picture. 

3 hours ago, southpacific73 said:

A BIG Thank You Dave!!! Just received the seeds today :D

IMG_1416.JPG

Plant all of them. Some of them float because of the dried fruit. Some are old, some are new.

None are borrowed, none are blue. :)

Thanks again dave just about all of the seeds have germinated can't wait to pass these out among friends and plant some as well

• Upvote 1

On 12/2/2015, 2:26:10, JubaeaMan138 said:

Thanks again dave just about all of the seeds have germinated can't wait to pass these out among friends and plant some as well

How much take yours to sprout?

Rio_Grande.gif