IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

SoCal Pseudophoenix vinifera trucking along

MattyB

I don't remember ever seeing this Pseudophoenix in California. It seems to tolerate our climate just fine, but it is very slow, so I can see how that might make it a little tricky to keep from rotting out. It's exactly 3" diameter at the base and stands 4'-4" overall. This was germinated from seed in 2006.

post-126-0-22840300-1427401042_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-40520300-1427401052_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-02288400-1427401064_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

That is a great looking Pseudo v.i don't recall seeing any others growing in san diego. but I gotta say frog the dog is much more handsome. Great job on growing it for so long

Beautiful! It looks just perfect! Hopefully no one is tempted to make wine from it!

I'm always up for learning new things!

Slow yes but still faster than pseudophoenix ekmanii I think

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

Yes, definitely faster than P. ekmanii, which is on the left in the first picture

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Defiantly a very cool Pseudophoenix. Nice grow Matty, I'll see you in the morning at Swamis

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Did you see me defiantly attempt that late take-off and almost crash right into Christian? We surfaced together, shoulder to shoulder. No boards dinged so it was all good!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Great Pseudo, Matty. Next time I visit, gotta pet the Frog.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Very nice Matty! It's green and fat and will be gorgeous someday. Good for you!!

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Did you see me defiantly attempt that late take-off and almost crash right into Christian? We surfaced together, shoulder to shoulder. No boards dinged so it was all good!

I saw the whole thing happen!! I would of just plowed through him..lol

Sunset zone 24

I'll see you in the morning for the dawn patrol session

Sunset zone 24

• 4 years later...

Hey MattyB I know this is an old thread but I was curious about how your P. vinifera was going in San Diego? I just picked up six young seedlings recently and being that I live in San Diego (College East) as well I was hoping you had some success with this species and some tips you could share! I’d appreciate talking to someone local and getting some knowledge, given that i’m new to palms.  Cheers!

Jen

Probably going to burst your bubble but P vinifera is NOT an easy species to grow outside of S Florida. You would be much happier starting out with its relative,Pseudophoenix sargentii.Similar looking palm with more of a will to live.I've killed dozens of vinifera before I brought back a 15 gallon plant from Florida that I've had some success with.It's been planted about 10 years now and is about 12 ft tall overall and a foot wide at the base.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20190415_132527535.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Overall pic of the whole tree.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20190415_132552262_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

4 hours ago, JenRiot321 said:

Hey MattyB I know this is an old thread but I was curious about how your P. vinifera was going in San Diego? I just picked up six young seedlings recently and being that I live in San Diego (College East) as well I was hoping you had some success with this species and some tips you could share! I’d appreciate talking to someone local and getting some knowledge, given that i’m new to palms.  Cheers! 

Jen

Welcome to Palmtalk Jen.  Getting six was a good call as AZTROPIC pointed out, its a challenging grow outside Florida.  Matty will be able to provide you with the best local insight.  As with many of the temperamental palms, its getting them to a critical size that seems to be most challenging.  The entire Pseudophoenix genus is slow, which leaves one starting with a small plant a long window of potential danger.  With six to start and patience, you may have success.  It will be interesting to see how many seeds Matty started with to achieve the plant he photographed back in 2015, which was 9 years after he started with a germinated seed.  I'm not growing this species, only Pseudophoenix sargentii ssp saonae var navassana.  I cheated and bought a bigger plant brought from Florida so that I didn't have to wait or risk losing a bunch of small seedlings.  It too is a beautiful palm and worthy of a go here in Southern California.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Thanks! Great photos aztropic! Thanks for the insight. I only ended up getting them because I was getting a few other palms from the seller and he was selling the group at what worked out to be only a couple of dollars per seedling. I figured why not! It’ll be a learning experience and the worst outcome is that they die and I’m only out a little bit of money having gained more knowledge!

Any recommendations on what I can do to give these little guys their best chance of surviving?  Right now I have them potted in a well draining mix of fine orchid bark, cactus and succulent mix, perlite, and a coir blend. I’m keeping them on a mostly shaded patio while they adjust to being repotted and watering when the top couple inches feels dry.  Being that I’m new to palms I feel like i’m going to have to go through the whole “what works and what doesn’t” trial and error process that i’ve gone through for the other types of plants I’m interested in like orchids and tropical fruit. I’m hoping with the help of the community I might be able to avoid some of those same types of expensive mistakes! Though i’m sure I’ll still make plenty! Haha. 

Thanks for your responses!

On 3/26/2015 at 1:18 PM, MattyB said:

I don't remember ever seeing this Pseudophoenix in California. It seems to tolerate our climate just fine, but it is very slow, so I can see how that might make it a little tricky to keep from rotting out. It's exactly 3" diameter at the base and stands 4'-4" overall. This was germinated from seed in 2006.

post-126-0-22840300-1427401042_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-40520300-1427401052_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-02288400-1427401064_thumb.jpg

1 hour ago, JenRiot321 said:

Any recommendations on what I can do to give these little guys their best chance of surviving?  Right now I have them potted in a well draining mix of fine orchid bark, cactus and succulent mix, perlite, and a coir blend. I’m keeping them on a mostly shaded patio while they adjust to being repotted and watering when the top couple inches feels dry.  Being that I’m new to palms I feel like i’m going to have to go through the whole “what works and what doesn’t” trial and error process that i’ve gone through for the other types of plants I’m interested in like orchids and tropical fruit. I’m hoping with the help of the community I might be able to avoid some of those same types of expensive mistakes! Though i’m sure I’ll still make plenty! Haha. 

Thanks for your responses!

Matt, you have been summoned for your input... and no not on the surf report (onshore before dawn, so pretty junky by the way).

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation