IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

2016 biennial

OB Burt

We should be hearing more details soon. The plan was to aim for the second week of June. Click here for more information about the 2016 expedition to Sarawak and Singapore: https://www.palms.org/newsletter/August2014.pdf

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

• 2 months later...

I WILL be alllll there! Including the pre trip into the deep, dark, adventurous, rugged, mountains of Head-Hunting Borneo! Been there, done it and WANT to go back......

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, if Jeff and Cindy are going, I'm going.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

That a boy Wal, it would be great to have you join us. The bus is filling up quickly now.....

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 1 month later...

If jeff, Cindy and Wal are going i will definetly have to come ☺☺

Regards

Colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

I need to start saving!

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

• 3 weeks later...

I just read that the price for the pre tour trip will cost $2400 plus.....quite a bit of money. I have to start saving now and fast!!!

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 3 weeks later...

REGISTRATION IS OPEN NOW.

Visit:   http://www.palms.org  for complete information! 

Edited by Kim

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

These trips look great!

Thanks for all the many hours of work on the part of many volunteers to be able to offer them!

Cindy Adair

• 1 month later...

Registered....checked!  I'm happy to know that I will be joining other fellow palm junkies next year for what sounds like a fantastic adventure. As of yesterday, there was still room for a few more to attend the pre-tour. But space is running out quickly!

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I missed it, the pre tour was open a hour ago, went to get my credit card and got back on line to find out the tour is full. I'm bummed out. Should of signed up last month, oh well.

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

I was looking at the Release of Liability today for the tour.  I was pretty much OK with it until I got to paragraph 10.  The last sentence states that participants "hereby also assign to IPS my right of privacy, including without limitation, rights under California Civil Code 3344."  I read that code section and am probably OK with that, but the vague and blanket assignment to IPS of one's right of privacy is a bit much.  I get that IPS wants to be able to use images taken during the tour, but in this age of privacy concerns, I don't want to give any entity my complete right to privacy.  Not trying to sound silly about this, but wonder if the tour directors would object to striking this passage.

On November 23, 2015 at 1:10:21 PM, CLINODAVE said:

I was looking at the Release of Liability today for the tour.  I was pretty much OK with it until I got to paragraph 10.  The last sentence states that participants "hereby also assign to IPS my right of privacy, including without limitation, rights under California Civil Code 3344."  I read that code section and am probably OK with that, but the vague and blanket assignment to IPS of one's right of privacy is a bit much.  I get that IPS wants to be able to use images taken during the tour, but in this age of privacy concerns, I don't want to give any entity my complete right to privacy.  Not trying to sound silly about this, but wonder if the tour directors would object to striking this passage.

Hi Dave. I am not on the Risk Management Committee, but I highly doubt they would. One needs to read CIVIL CODE SECTION 3344-3346 to see why this is needed in part. Personally I think we tend to read too much into these boilerplate releases. We are not Google or Microsoft. The IPS has no hidden, evil agenda or sneaky plans to use ones release of privacy. As a small non-profit, we have to use what tools we can to limit our liability as best as possible. Without a war chest to fight legal battles, it is better to have broad releases and terms. Just my opinion. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎57‎:‎12‎, jdapalms said:

I missed it, the pre tour was open a hour ago, went to get my credit card and got back on line to find out the tour is full. I'm bummed out. Should of signed up last month, oh well.

Jerry, that's too bad. It would of been cool to have you and Cindy join us. With all the hard work that the Aussies put into organizing this tour, I know it's going to be an unbelievable experience. It will be intense!!!

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, I would have loved to have joined you as I know how much effort went into this from David and Phillip. Just couldn't convince the wife to take the kids for two weeks after I just got back from Madagascar. See you at the Bienniel though. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Jerry, Judy and I look foreword to seeing you and Cindy on the pre-tour.  Did you ever get any of your Colpothrinax from Cuba to germanate?  I got two but it took more than a year. Stay well. Happy Holidays. 

Len.....I totally understand. Big trips usually cost a fair amount of money. But it's nice knowing your at least coming to the biennial.

So besides Judy and Jim Glock

Jerry and Cindy Anderson

Who else has signed up for the pre tour trip?

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jim, I did get some of the Colpothrinax up and growing. Most of the seed I collected did well for me. This is going to be a great trip, were looking forward to it.

Take care and enjoy the holidays.

Jerry

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm hoping I can at least attend the next Biennial

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I bought four paperback books (all used) off the internet that I am enjoying.

I thought those lucky enough to be headed to the Biennial or planning their own future trip might want copies as well.  They are: Lonely Planet Guide to Borneo and another for Singapore, a field book (very nice!) on Birds of Borneo by Davison and Fook, and a memoir called Stranger in the Forest on Foot across Borneo by Hansen.

Lots of time to read while on those long flights if not before!

Cindy Adair

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, rick said:

Well its taken some convincing and a lot of creative budgeting but I'm in for the biennial!

Great! It should be a trip of a lifetime!

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I would love to do the Singapore leg of the biennial but schlepping around Borneo is not physically possible for me.....and to be totally honest, I like my jungles concreted and airconditioned. Mother Nature is behind the times, she should have made all the rare and wonderful palms native to places like Manhattan, Paris or Berlin.

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Peachy, if you are serious, send me a PM.  We may have a few extra rooms in Singapore.  Expensive rooms, but fairly decent -- Marina Bay Sands, 3 nights, and a farewell dinner.  Very civilized, no hiking on rough trails required.  I understand the exchange rate is problematic for Ozzies, which is a shame.  Would love to see more of them on the list.

Kim Cyr

PM sent

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

11 hours ago, peachy said:

PM sent

Yes,yes, yes!! :yay:

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 1 month later...

Well!!!! Is anyone else getting excited yet? I see the Glocks a lot and their getting pumped up. Anybody else? I have started making the traditional "pile" on the floor with everything I bring. A good way of not really forgetting anything. Bring on the leeches!!

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I am beyond excited over Borneo!

I do lists rather than piles (until the last week) and look at photos of Borneo and Singapore almost daily.

I finally gave in and ordered a breathable Columbia arcade 2 raincoat online since the "no umbrellas allowed on the trails" email.

It was rough for me to actually pay for new clothing since 95% of my clothes (for years) have come from the great Virginia thrift stores. However I just won't wear the nonbreathable type rain covers in PR. I would rather get wet.

And my many already second hand hiking boots are getting well worn with daily use in my jungle in Puerto Rico. I knew I would miss thrift stores in Puerto Rico!

Jeff, please say hi to Judy and Jim for me and I look forward to seeing so many new and old friends across the world very soon.

Cindy Adair

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2016‎ ‎7‎:‎42‎:‎25‎, Cindy Adair said:

I am beyond excited over Borneo!

I do lists rather than piles (until the last week) and look at photos of Borneo and Singapore almost daily.

I finally gave in and ordered a breathable Columbia arcade 2 raincoat online since the "no umbrellas allowed on the trails" email.

It was rough for me to actually pay for new clothing since 95% of my clothes (for years) have come from the great Virginia thrift stores. However I just won't wear the nonbreathable type rain covers in PR. I would rather get wet.

And my many already second hand hiking boots are getting well worn with daily use in my jungle in Puerto Rico. I knew I would miss thrift stores in Puerto Rico!

Jeff, please say hi to Judy and Jim for me and I look forward to seeing so many new and old friends across the world very soon.

I will Cindy, as they are coming to the nursery tomorrow. Were all getting very excited!

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! I'm down to less than a week before I fly out. I have pretty much all my gear, clothing, etc. ready to pack. For me personally, this ranks right up at the top with other palm rich areas of the world that I have traveled to. Madagascar and Costa Rica being just two of them. After reading all the information, this biennial has been well thought out and planned with a lot of good input.

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thailand was my only possible biennial so far, and i am waiting another opportunity to repeat the unforgetable experience.

I am sad i wont be able to meet so many special people this year. 

I would like to meet Peachy too ^_^

And i am looking forward to a Portugal/Spain biennial... :winkie:

Half way there. Well almost. Journey has started and the fun will soon begin. Four flights, over 30 hours and part of two days. Ugh.....

• Upvote 1

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

2 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

Half way there. Well almost. Journey has started and the fun will soon begin. Four flights, over 30 hours and part of two days. Ugh.....

Well, you can catch up on your ZZZZZZ's

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!