IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Happy Spring and Fall Garden PICS

Palm crazy

Here are some picture from the last three weeks, since it spring today I thought this would be a good time to showcase the garden before it gets to overgrown with exotics.

In the little drought tolerant part of the garden I have decided to only have orange flowers so heres a few.

Poppy are easy to grow and this one will reseed each fall.

DSC00001_zpsw6ulvfj7.jpg

Semi Native succulent Lewsia… this one is a hybrid.

DSC00002.5_zpsylqdtyxm.jpg

Interesting barberry with unusual flower buds, flowers open to inside down daffodil like flower in bright yellow.

DSC00029%20copy_zpsycthuazi.jpg

Native current blooming for the hummingbirds.

DSC00033_zpsaq7lqot6.jpg

Cardiocrinum giganteum with it elephant like leaves, these are just the first to open nests ones will be even bigger.

DSC00003_zps9qflyvfh.jpg

Garden pics in backyard.

DSC00006_zpsu4qcqcw8.jpg

DSC00004_zpsd0qtisig.jpg

Can’t remember this plant but it has nice big palmate leaves and turns bright red in fall. Very hardy, great for a shade ground cover.

DSC00009_zpsutbpcjbh.jpg

Eastside of the garden.

DSC00010%20copy_zpsq5ghzxsc.jpg

Earenga engleri palm.

DSC00010_zps2ldcaopg.jpg

No protection this winter for Livinstona chinensis.

DSC00013_zpssuqdscnt.jpg

If you’re not growing this cool plant then you should be…schefflera delavayi.

DSC00014_zpsngxhayxs.jpg

Some exotic palms getting their first look outside and some repotting.

DSC00015_zpsonqfcmnv.jpg

Decided to actuate them to more sunlight inside the unheated greenhouse for a few months.

Chamaedorea plumosa.

DSC00016_zpsgriwfp4a.jpg

Chamaedorea glaucifolia. Fast grower.

DSC00017_zps47ksi1yo.jpg

Dypsis baronii.

DSC00021_zpsfcosgjod.jpg

This winter was the first time I did not mist my indoor palms and it really had a negative effect on some of them. You can really see in this dypsis onilahensis that half the leaves browned out from low humidity.

DSC00024_zpssuzcilyw.jpg

Some understory plants growing good now that it’s Spring. Chamaedorea radicalis in there.

DSC00029_zpstq6b12ba.jpg

DSC00056%20copy_zpshuyysnfn.jpg

DSC00048_zpsk3r0oz98.jpg

Daphane has been blooming for over six week so far.

DSC00042%20copy_zpshla0aqbg.jpg

DSC00036_zpsgp29dyn8.jpg

DSC00057_zpst7drpb0i.jpg

Dragon arum has a really exotic looking trunks. This is the stinky flowering ones that are huge.

DSC00042_zpsgqbtqtzs.jpg

Red banana is ready to be repotted but will keep inside the greenhouse for another month. Will be its second year.

DSC00056_zpsgm5eqld2.jpg

These have been blooming for some time and smell really great.

DSC00093_zpsnkgd72gc.jpg

DSC00092_zps0iyq154t.jpg

Great new growth on this one.

DSC00059_zps841tyars.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Looks amazing after 21F... let alone how lush and green it appears. I really love what you did there..and I like your added painted surfaces. Too cool ! Did your rohodie bloom yet?

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Jubaea x Butia.

DSC00094_zpsqjrddfc4.jpg

Trachycarpus princeps.

DSC00110_zpsbk2h7d3p.jpg

The silver palms are doing good this year.

DSC00102_zpsp6nbrlgn.jpg

Not sure what I will plant in the colourful pot but maybe some flowering plant.

DSC00045_zpswbnnkt9b.jpg

Well thats it for now…will do another update of the garden in 6-7 months to see how it has grown and in its full glory. Have a great Spring-Summer everyone.

Thanks Jim, nothing was protected and most did very good.

Looks amazing after 21F... let alone how lush and green it appears. I really love what you did there..and I like your added painted surfaces. Too cool ! Did your rohodie bloom yet?

Thanks Jim,

Nothing was protected this winter and all the cold was in November and December. But overall the day and night time were well above normal here, and should continue for the next three months….I hope. Rhodies don’t bloom here till May. May’s the peak month but it over laps one month before and after.

My goal was always to have something in bloom or evergreen ever month of the year, it really makes a world of difference in our dark grey winters. This year was very sunny though. LOL!

Edited by Palm crazy

Would love to see some pics when it does.. They are neat! I have seen them for sale here but doubt they survive at any length due to the alkaline soil. I wish I could. I too am working on the same.. I am planning on adding winter jasmine somewhere this year..they do really well here.. not too many plant choices that like our 20 degree nights and blooms well. it kind of goes against my xeriscape plans but they stand out in January/February and look spectacular.

Everything in your yard looks great..even with lack of rainfall. it would appear that our climates may have switched???!?!?? I can believe its been raining here!

Hey Neil, it is what it is…Thanks for the compliment.

Jim on my way to get some soil I took a few pics of Rhodies and Azaleas blooming right now. The purple ones starts here around mid February and last a long time. Thanks for looking.

DSC00027_zpsy2zlqmy7.jpg

DSC00026_zpsbb0dmwx1.jpg

DSC00023_zps2zz4uq49.jpg

DSC00019_zpsqwpueeot.jpg

I also came home with these two plants, one is a primrose, other new zealand flax.

DSC00030_zpsrifehq5k.jpg

A few other plants blooming here.

DSC00017_zps4vtquenq.jpg

DSC00008_zpswmks0kzx.jpg

DSC00005_zpsgydgi9gb.jpg

Looking at pictures of your garden might as well be therapeutic. So awesome. I'm going to have to take some notes on some plants that you have and maybe incorporate them into my yard. I have a bunch of palms, but some of the more exotic stuff is appealing, even if I can't put them in ground due to our winters.

Great shots, great content. Thanks.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Thanks guys for looking really appreciate your comments! :)

UPDATE: I decided to plant a canna in the new pot in the garden, can’t wait to see how it looks come summer.

Canna ehamanii is the species.

DSC00030_zps83tptriy.jpg

DSC00032_zpsf1rkpeby.jpg

I might do a garden update again in June.

Happy Gardening!

Edited by Palm crazy

• 2 months later...

It’s finally warm here and thought I would post some pics before the next big Heat Wave comes next week.

Updates on the garden.

DSC00005_zpsok6jjj84.jpg

DSC00008_zps3r7j2ltv.jpg

Tender New Zealand exotic, second year in the ground.

DSC00026_zpsnr9o5w32.jpg

Red banana starting to take off.

DSC00015_zpsu9hnyxmc.jpg

Blue Butia

DSC00033_zpshcj5ewrn.jpg

Sabal burmudana doing good so far.

DSC00035_zpsrfofphv5.jpg

Mini desert garden.

DSC00054_zpsxxmnwnmx.jpg

Succulent Lewsia are almost done blooming.

DSC00044_zpsmavf77au.jpg

Butia collection.

DSC00057_zpsre2x3w4p.jpg

Dicksonia tree fern.

DSC00059_zps4huhhuey.jpg

Chamaedorea radicalis clump.

DSC00062_zpsos7vpgto.jpg

Part of the desert garden, with cycads.

DSC00015_zpsva4pjqr1.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Layer look.

DSC00002_zpsazu6e9au.jpg

Going to have some interesting flowers this June. Will post when I have a few pics.

DSC00007_zpsibpbl4gz.jpg

Abutilon, you can’t see it but his abutilon is climbing a tall trachycarpus. Vine is about 10’ tall, will show another time.

DSC00013_zpswf841zwb.jpg

Succulents I transplanted around the garden this year.

DSC00049_zpssketlvfg.jpg

Looking good.. Those Azaleas and Rhododendron are really nice. that purple is something else.. wow. You live in a neat climate up there. Lots and lots of blooms everywhere.

Looking good.. Those Azaleas and Rhododendron are really nice. that purple is something else.. wow. You live in a neat climate up there. Lots and lots of blooms everywhere.

Thanks Jimmy, hopefully you saw my posting on rhodie flowers last month, if not here it is…http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/45747-rhododendron-and-azaleas-in-the-pnw/

Thanks for looking.

Thanks for the updates. I always go back through your pics again and again, always fun to browse through them all. I see you have a Fatsia (or two?). I recently bought one and put it in a shady spot up against my house. I can't believe I haven't come across them any sooner, they're awesome and super tropical looking.

Thanks for the updates. I always go back through your pics again and again, always fun to browse through them all. I see you have a Fatsia (or two?). I recently bought one and put it in a shady spot up against my house. I can't believe I haven't come across them any sooner, they're awesome and super tropical looking.

Thanks Nick! I have four different Fatsia and they are all flushing new growth as you can see from the March photo. Fatsia are one of those work house tropical looking plants that every gardener should have. They really give that tropical look I am after, with very little work. You can even see them in the old Tarzan movies, thats how I first saw them.

It is always lovely to see photos from.your garden.

Thanks Pip, this weekend I’m going to put out the tender house plants in the garden, then it will really look cool. I see your an animal lover too! Right On!

Edited by Palm crazy

Everything is looking very lush and colorful !

Trachycarpus princeps looks nice must plant mine out this spring

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

lots of very nice colors. awesome pic's

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Thanks Troy and Josh! Will post again later in the week with some other cool stuff.

Edited by Palm crazy

Here are the last of the Spring Photos. Hope you enjoy them.

First some flower power.

Gerbera daisy and cordylines are making a good comeback.

DSC00118_zpsbink2nw1.jpg

Fuchsia specious is starting to bloom early this year.

DSC00119_zpsja7tqtcn.jpg

Pineapple brooms are very very drought and heat tolerant plants, smells like pineapples.

DSC00009_zpsjyzeaz3f.jpg

Red hot pokers always a favorite drought tolerant plant.

DSC00001_zps641lcuku.jpg

Now for some interesting foliage plants.

A new obsession.

DSC00064_zpsc6siuobw.jpg

DSC00113_zpsnf8tsswm.jpg

This is a very interesting plants called Lobelia tupa, will grow to 6’ tall or more with lots of red flowers in August. Very popular on the west coast.

DSC00120_zpsd9h4wj2y.jpg

Trying for the first time a upright elephant ears. Wish me luck on this one. LOL!

DSC00142_zpsnokprcn4.jpg

Red banana.

DSC00145_zpsuumeoufe.jpg

Fatsia japonica camouflage.

DSC00019_zpskvkewzt4.jpg

Schefflera is doing good. The new leaves are bigger and will turn dark as they age.

DSC00132_zpsrrrzffeh.jpg

DSC00129_zpsfax6p09g.jpg

Bananas going crazy this year.

DSC00060_zps5uh7eybg.jpg

Here’s an update on the little flax I got back in early spring. All grown up now.

DSC00128_zpsu2iidkcp.jpg

Colourful foliage.

DSC00125_zpsrto6qtou.jpg

My first ever Yucca, not the one I wanted but it will do.

DSC00195_zpsulpanrcn.jpg

This is the hardiest bromeliad out there, blooms in late summer, If anyone would like a free start of this plant let me know and I will divide in the fall.

DSC00206_zpsypg4wjrj.jpg

Summer chocolate finally going dark.

DSC00197_zpsxjhbhrha.jpg

Little desert garden. LOL!

DSC00094_zpsqp0uz2g0.jpg