IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Spring 'Ganza - Palm Life in the Ranches

Palmarum

- 5:48PM - The conversation was steered toward this Beccariophoenix fenestralis (madagascariensis) by the pool, so I took a shot over my shoulder.

DSC_0318.jpg

- 6:00PM - More people joined the group as the evening progressed.

DSC_0319.jpg

- Time for the 'walk and talk' part of the tour. We never have a planned method to go by. Usually someone mentions a palm or croton and we take off in that direction. As we got up from the seated position, I noticed this Jungle King Ginger in bloom.

DSC_0320.jpg

- 6:07PM - Something amazing happened in this photo relating to Crotons and I have no idea what it was. They were excited though.

DSC_0321.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 6:08PM - The Croton minds were at work in this moment. I think what transpired...

DSC_0322.jpg

- ... is that this Croton had reached the point to show enough premiere color to be correctly identified. I think.

DSC_0323.jpg

- 6:12PM - Croton talk continued as we made our way to the west side of the yard.

DSC_0324.jpg

- 6:13PM - A perfect leaf belonging to a large Licuala spinosa. We were losing light fast as the tour made its way around to the north side of the yard.

DSC_0325.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 6:14PM - Chris joined the Croton conversation as they debated as to which plant was which cultivar.

DSC_0326.jpg

- I would like to say they do make progress in the Croton nomenclature. On the left, FM. Robin Crawford (PalmXTC) joined the tour.

DSC_0327.jpg

- 6:21PM - I was losing what light there was, and throwing the flash real far was not filling the gap. The tour moved along the north edge of the property where the conversation turned to palms. Everyone took a moment to admire this Talipot Palm, Corypha umbraculifera. When it gets taller, I will have to get someone to climb the leaf bases for a photo.

DSC_0329.jpg

- Tim and Jeff walk around and under the neighbor to the C. umbraculifera, a robust Borassus flabellifer.

DSC_0330.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

OMG!

Gladly I am living quite far from your nursery, otherwise I would act extravagantly and destroy my credit card.

I'll see my poor seeds (the sleeping seeds) and seedlings in Doranakanda garden soon and dream with Searl nurseries palms pictures. :)

Thanks, Ryan, for posting all these pictures.

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

- 6:24PM - The setting sun and light from the flash set the mood for this photo. The petioles and leaf bases of the Borassus can be showy when they want to be.

DSC_0331.jpg

- Not far from the Borassus and residing right next to the fence, this Ptychosperma schefferi was putting on a show of its own. The species is variable, including size, habit and leaf form. A single specimen may even change over time. The palm seen here has many suckers with entire, or nearly entire leaves, which were excellent eye candy for the tour. Can you guess what Jeff is drinking?

DSC_0332.jpg

- 6:28PM - We heard the proverbial 'dinner bell' which was Andrea yelling out through the garage door that the food was ready.

DSC_0333.jpg

- Everyone still touring outside started to head indoors for the spread. I was hungry and I knew the food was going to vanish so I put the camera down to make sure I ate. Before leaving the yard, Tim, Chris and Jeff pose for one more photo with the Borassus standing faintly in the background.

DSC_0334.jpg

The first crazy day of the 'Ganza was over, with five more to enjoy.

Ryan

South Florida

Great pictures! One quick question, are you sure that's not a B. flabellifer x aethiopum?

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Great pictures! One quick question, are you sure that's not a B. flabellifer x aethiopum?

It could be, I will have to ask Jeff. I know the petioles are rather dark, even in that flash photo. When it was smaller it didn't have that much color and always thought of it as B. flabellifer. I am trying to think if that palm was one he got in a trade or one he grew from seed.

Ryan

South Florida

NICE! VERY NICE! :greenthumb:

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

- Saturday, March 7th, 8:24AM - Saturday morning. The weather for the day was going to be decent, although overcast for most of it. After the morning prep was completed and the sale opened, we were treated to a special, homemade breakfast. We just had to get to the office trailer and past a guard cat or two. While waiting outside the office for it to be opened, I photographed the Rainbow Eucalyptus, Eucalyptus deglupta, that shades much of the area.

DSC_0339.jpg

- 8:27AM - "No fork needed, I'll be using my face." Volunteer and FM. el doctor Scott Cohen (Scott Cohen) arrived at the same time I did to get some of the breakfast pastry made by Andrea. One was apple and cheese and the other was guava and cheese. Both were phenomenal and were consumed at light speed.

DSC_0341.jpg

- 8:43AM - Grey skies did not keep the customers away. A 7 gal. Sagisi Palm, Heterospathe elata, was one of the first palms to exit the shadehouse.

DSC_0342.jpg

- Andrea answers questions and welcomes customers early in the morning.

DSC_0343.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:47AM - Kylie Searle is a true diplomat, she can make friends with anyone. More so when a cart ride is involved.

DSC_0345.jpg

- 8:52AM - Scott gets organized as Jeff talks with volunteer and veteran plantsman Derek Burch on the right.

DSC_0347.jpg

- 8:57AM - A White Bird of Paradise, Strelitzia nicolai, becomes another early morning sale. I began to see familiar customers from the day before, arriving for a second day of plant mania.

DSC_0348.jpg

- 9:10AM - The tables did not change much from Friday afternoon, except for a few species and sizes being restocked. The one gallon Hemithrinax ekmaniana were not one of them, with just two left for the rest of the sale.

DSC_0349.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:10AM - We did not expect the Microcycas calocoma to sell right away, but it was always a possibility. (A palm of the same value sold later.) Collectors were surprised and happy to see it on the table, however.

DSC_0350.jpg

- 9:20AM - Walking outside, I noticed the increase in foot traffic as the morning pressed on. On the left, Derek described the growth habit and care needs for an Adenium, or Desert Rose.

DSC_0351.jpg

- I heard palm talk, so I turned around to find Tim informing the customer as to how to plant the Gaussia princeps.

DSC_0352.jpg

DSC_0353.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:24AM - I heard the noise of a fast moving golf cart bearing down on me, so I turned just in time to shoot Jim Glock and Jeff as they flew past me carrying palms for a customer.

DSC_0354.jpg

- The crowd parted to let Jeff and Jim through, with Tim taking advantage of the 'wake' so he could head up front as well, carrying the G. princeps to the holding area.

DSC_0355.jpg

- To the left of center, Travis Searle catches up with an Army Lt. Colonel he sees at every Extravaganza. The military talk was heavy. A collector examines the palms in the full sun section on the right -- his cart deserved a closer inspection...

DSC_0356.jpg

- In addition to a few Cordylines and a Gardenia, the cart held a 3 gal. Chamaedorea oblongata on the left, with a 7 gal. Pritchardia maideniana and a 3 gal. Caryota ophiopellis on the right.

DSC_0357.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:45AM - "Wow, that is incredible!" Customers react to the story, rarity, prices and very slow growth rate of the Hemithrinax ekmaniana. Their reactions were priceless. It would have been a good video.

DSC_0358.jpg

- 9:55AM - Traffic jam. Being in a hurry to get to a possible photo opportunity can be excruciating when you got to move carefully.

DSC_0359.jpg

DSC_0360.jpg

- 10:03AM - When Jim speaks, people listen. Jim has the voice and the charisma to get people's attention when he is describing something.

DSC_0361.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Great pix, I'd be there in a heartbeat spending away and going crazy!

Palos Verdes Estates - coastal Los Angeles - 33°45'N 118°24'W

On a cliff, 2 blocks from the Pacific Ocean. Zone 10b - Sunset zone 24

- 10:03AM - Jim gets to the botanical heart of the Croton picture. He will get you to love the plant, that you did not know the name of just a few minutes earlier.

DSC_0362.jpg

- The remaining Orchids were moved from under the barn to just inside the shadehouse; to where there was now plenty of room.

DSC_0363.jpg

- 10:19AM - Scott and FM. Rick (rick) talk palms and cycads near the tables. This is Scott's 'on point' stance where he exudes stature, prominence and some form of nobility. At least his fly was up in this photo.

DSC_0364.jpg

- 11:07AM - The morning became lunch time. The crowd surged in size as the BBQ grills were being fired up over by the barn.

DSC_0365.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:08AM - My travels around the sales area brought me to the end of the main road. I was brought here to answer spacing questions on a few of the landscape plants. My stomach told me to go photograph the BBQ area, so I listened...

DSC_0366.jpg

- 11:13AM - It was about an hour 'til noon and all grills were already lit and in heavy production.

DSC_0367.jpg

- It was an assembly line of burger and hot dog goodness.

DSC_0368.jpg

- After they were ready, the burgers and hot dogs were transferred to the counter where they met the waiting line of hungry customers.

DSC_0369.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:14AM - The first in line for lunch got their pick of tables and chairs.

DSC_0370.jpg

- 11:18AM - But the area filled up fast, as customers continued to stream into the sale.

DSC_0371.jpg

- Volunteers and crew have their own line for the BBQ goodness and it often gets crowded behind the grills.

DSC_0372.jpg

- 12:33PM - After my first lunch and answering a slew of questions in the shadehouse, the BBQ outside showed no signs of slowing down, an hour later.

DSC_0373.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

It is called "Extravaganza"...A better name; "FEEDING FRENZY".

I could feel it just by looking at the pictures. I certainly would fill a cart in no time too.

Nice to live in Florida, we don´t have that kind of nurseries here.

- 12:34PM - We try to add as much seating area as possible, but of what we do add, never seems to be enough. We rolled out additional round tables to place outside and around the barn.

DSC_0374.jpg

- Peak time on Saturday and it was busy. I was being dragged back and forth and all over with questions and ID requests.

DSC_0376.jpg

- Visiting the Extravaganza is often a family affair. Often one family member over another, wants to get lunch first before exploring the shadehouse.

DSC_0377.jpg

- 12:51PM - Motion throughout the sales area was constant. Like the ebb and flow of tides.

DSC_0378.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Ryan,

As always, outstanding coverage and photography of a well organized and truly unique event! :) Always fun to see the excitement when people are buying palms! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

It is called "Extravaganza"...A better name; "FEEDING FRENZY".

I could feel it just by looking at the pictures. I certainly would fill a cart in no time too.

Nice to live in Florida, we don´t have that kind of nurseries here.

Calling it a 'feeding frenzy' is quite apt, as it often feels like one during the more intense periods of the sale. For instance, when watching a group of gallon palms around a large showy specimen and they all get grabbed in a matter of minutes. For sport, we will try and guess how long the gallon group will last. Living in Costa Rica is nice as well. One of the best palmy experiences I have ever had took place there on a Biennial.

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:51PM - "Eh wha..?" I did my best to not distract the cooks as major loss of arm hair might result.

DSC_0380.jpg

- Palms, plants, people, loaded carts, and thick BBQ smoke... It must be an Extravaganza in SW. Ranches at Searle Brothers Nursery.

DSC_0381.jpg

- As soon as a chair opens up, it gets taken. On the left, popular volunteer Donnie does his best to keep things organized. He has an interesting, one-of-a-kind name tag. It is hard to read in the photo. So if you see him at the sale, read it and ask him about it.

DSC_0382.jpg

- 12:53PM - The 'Ganza became a stop over for the Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society who were in the area touring gardens. Many of their members are on the right talking with Jeff. I believe they were heading to Paul Humann's residence next after their stop here.

DSC_0384.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 1:06PM - A few of Palm Beach's members who were in attendance, were also part of last year's Pre and Post Biennial trips to Cuba. The conversation bounced back and forth between the trips of last year and potential future visits to the island nation. Judy and Jim Glock were among those who visited Cuba last year and they have amazing travel stories.

DSC_0385.jpg

- 1:39PM - The overcast format continued on and off throughout the day, mixed with periods of sunshine. We had received reports of heavy rainfall in Miami-Dade County and figured some of it was heading our way. Across from the holding area, Jeff and Larry direct traffic.

DSC_0386.jpg

DSC_0387.jpg

- 1:40PM - Lunchtime was winding down, as the sale entered the afternoon hours. Volunteer Trevor takes a ride on the trailer as his brother Jeremy drives the load down towards the checkout.

DSC_0389.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 1 :41PM - Sometimes the largest hand cart is not enough to carry it all. Jeff and Travis assist a customer by transferring his load of Podocarpus to a trailer so he can go back and get the entire amount at one time.

DSC_0390.jpg

- 1:42PM - I ventured back to my post within the shadehouse to find Tim describing the Kerriodoxa elegans to Jeff's son-in-law David and his parents.

DSC_0392.jpg

- After I took the photo above, they posed for another in front of the K. elegans leaf along with Kylie being held up by David.

DSC_0393.jpg

- 1:46PM - Kylie was 'assisting' them by selecting all the small palms along the sidewalk and loading them onto the cart. The one in her hands now is a one gallon Licuala rumphii.

DSC_0394.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 1:47PM - When she couldn't find any small palms on the sidewalk, she moved to the tables. A small Dypsis sp. 'Jurassic Park' was lifted this time.

DSC_0396.jpg

- All done here, time to move to the next section.

DSC_0397.jpg

- 1:57PM - Occasionally, the harder decision is not what species to get, but what size.

DSC_0398.jpg

- 2:30PM - The grouping of Licuala peltata var. sumawongii enjoyed a high level of popularity all sale long. The 7 gallon size was the first to sell out and seemed irresistible to those who wanted one. Enthusiasts just can't get enough of that leaf.

DSC_0399.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:31PM - "Aroooooo..." The long ears and big nose belong to Missy's dog Argos who came to the white tent to say hello to everyone in the shadehouse.

DSC_0401.jpg

- 3:16PM - Duplicating a scene that plays out in Thailand many times a day, Jim Glock uses a Licuala peltata var. sumawongii leaf as an umbrella. The rain had stayed away for all but the last hour and a half of Saturday. Volunteers and customers came prepared for inclement weather with rain jackets, ponchos, umbrellas and beer.

DSC_0403.jpg

- 4:04PM - The rain came and went, leaving a steady drizzle and soaked shade cloth. People just looked at it as the full rainforest experience. Tim helps a customer while avoiding the large drops from above.

DSC_0406.jpg

- 4:08PM - A couple share an umbrella as they walk through the shadehouse. Many customers, collectors and plant show aficionados in South Florida know to bring rain gear to plant sales and events.

DSC_0407.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 4:09PM - A late day collector made a careful run through the shadehouse. The cart held a 7 gal. Burretiokentia hapala, a 7 & 3 gal. Iriartea deltoidea, a gallon Pritchardia remota and 3 gal. Kerriodoxa elegans. They were watered along the way.

DSC_0408.jpg

- 4:12PM - Time to get ready for Sunday. The break in the rain allowed the BBQ area to get stocked for the next days lunch.

DSC_0409.jpg

- 4:21PM - To thank Jim for all his help during the Extravaganza, the Key West sale, his many dinners and other events, Jeff was going to give him a shiny new Licuala sallehana. Jim, as humble as he is, couldn't accept such a gift. They went back and forth until they came to a compromise. Jeff sold the palm to Jim for just a dollar.

DSC_0410.jpg

- Jim and Judy were about to head back home after their stay at Rancho Searle. Their help is indispensable and we talked about the next event we would see each other at, probably at the next Croton Society meeting and tour in the Gables. Tour Info Link: http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/spring-2015-garden-tour-in-miami.5241/

DSC_0411.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- 4:25PM - The second day of the Extravaganza was coming to a close, this time to a damp yet successful finish. Customers continued to shop as we secured materials and got a jump on setting up for Sunday. The Heliconia and Ginger rhizomes were very popular, as they usually are in the spring.

DSC_0413.jpg

- They were picked through and certain varieties only had a few left.

DSC_0414.jpg

- 4:57PM - The last customer of the day passed through the checkout at three minutes to closing time. Her order included a 3 gal. Red Sealing Wax Palm, Cyrtostachys renda, among other plants.

DSC_0416.jpg

the second busy day, gives way to the third...

Ryan

South Florida

Excellent pics Ryan of the Searles Spring Ganza, fantastic to see so many of the "family " involved in the business, many, many truckloads of great healthy palms and tropicals available to the keen public to keep em coming back, well done, keep up the great work. :)

Jeff and Ryan, I have to ask about this Licuala you are calling longipies which is a trunkless single Licuala as you'd both well know. To me it looks "very much" like a "good looking" healthy young spinosa, and again as you'd both know, Licuala spinosa isnt "chased" by palm enthusiasts all because of pics in palm books of "old" untidy clumps.

Pete

post-5709-0-64145200-1426939296_thumb.jp

Pete, you bring up a very good question. I bought these "seeds" and later grew these on many years ago. I never really looked into the validity of this name but I can tell you this. These plants have actually flowered then set seeds while growing in the pot. Where as I have never witnessed this before with the true Licuala spinosa. So....I'm still a bit confused, maybe Ryan knows something I don't.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

.... Jeff and Ryan, I have to ask about this Licuala you are calling longipies which is a trunkless single Licuala as you'd both well know. To me it looks "very much" like a "good looking" healthy young spinosa, and again as you'd both know, Licuala spinosa isnt "chased" by palm enthusiasts all because of pics in palm books of "old" untidy clumps.

Pete

The plants labeled as Licuala longipes have been a mystery for as long as Jeff has been growing them. They were grown from seed collected under that name and have been decidedly different than regular L. spinosa. They have been extremely slow growing, have very long, upright petioles even while in bright light and have flowered and set seed while trunk-less in containers, as Jeff had mentioned. They are probably not L. longipes, but they are not L. spinosa and will continue to be a mystery palm. There are only a few plants left in the group after 15 years plus of growing them. Whenever anyone has asked about them, I've mentioned they were a mystery. They have kept the name only because they were a single source population originating with that name, have been so slow and otherwise overlooked. Whenever one sells I have always told the customer the name will probably be changed in the future, to what I have no idea.

Now, I wish they were Licuala spinosa as we didn't have any in that size and we could have used them. The species is still and has always been, very popular and chased by collectors. There are few species within the genus that can grow in and tolerate the same range of conditions as L. spinosa can handle with ease. It is one of the original species in cultivation and can be found in many S. Florida collections. The first group of L. spinosa put out for sale sold out in the first two days and had to be restocked with a second group; leaving only one plant after six days.

Ryan

South Florida

- Sunday, March 8th, 8:03AM - Early morning on the third day, and I find myself waiting at the gate a few minutes before others arrive. The sale opens at 9:00 on Sundays, so we have more time to get things ready. The rainy, overcast weather extended itself into the morning from the day before, but for only a short while.

DSC_0418.jpg

- 10:40AM - The slow pace of Sunday morning allowed customers to move at their own speed. This early morning trend has increased in popularity over recent years, to the point where I think we might need to serve coffee again on Sundays. Over at the BBQ area, the 'B-Team' was getting the area set for lunch, including lighting the grills, more so the tricky ones. I was expecting a large burst of flame over this burner, but it didn't happen.

DSC_0420.jpg

- 10:53AM - A morning grab included a pair of Black Alocasias, some landscape plants and a 1 gal. Joey Palm, Johannesteijsmannia altifrons.

DSC_0421.jpg

- 11:19AM - Volunteer Candy took a break from the Bromeliad section to check on what plants needed to be restocked. A good portion of Sunday morning is spent with the activity. If applicable, plants are not only restocked for the day, but for the following weekend as well.

DSC_0422.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:29AM - To help put an order together, Scott jumped on a golf cart (stole Jeff's) and drove down the shadehouse and picked up an Alicia hybrid Lady Palm, Rhapis cochinchinensis x humilis 'Alicia', from the sidewalk...

DSC_0423.jpg

- ... and drove it out and over to the holding area...

DSC_0424.jpg

- ... where it was loaded onto a waiting trailer.

DSC_0425.jpg

- It was part of a large order including landscape foliage plants and many Bromeliads.

DSC_0426.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:35AM - As the day drew closer to lunch time, the level of activity increased. This it the typical description of plant sales in S. Florida on Sundays. The overcast skies kept the sidewalks and plants damp, and prevented the temperature from rising too much.

DSC_0429.jpg

- 1:08PM - Collectors and home gardeners (a few visiting on their third day in a row) made it a point to double check every plant in the selection. I talked with customers who already knew every plant they were interested in and where each species was located in the sales area. They take their time doing research and come back on Sunday to make their choices, hoping the plants are still available.

DSC_0431.jpg

- 1:18PM - After a careful bit of decision making, a 7 gal. Coccothrinax fragrans gets hand carried to the holding area.

DSC_0432.jpg

- 1:21PM - Carts were being left in front of the holding area as customers went to grab a bite to eat. In case you were wondering, the 'stick' in the 3 gallon pot by the left corner of the cart is a live tree. We still have plants that go deciduous in S. Florida.

DSC_0433.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 1:21PM - Stashes within the holding area did not stay for long, as there was always a waiting golf cart and trailer ready to take plants out.

DSC_0434.jpg

- 1:24PM - Customers continued to select plants from all the different plant groups, creating truly diverse orders. Amber writes up an order containing a Spindle Palm, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii; Aechmea blanchetiana Bromeliad; Brazilian Red Cloak, Megaskepasma erythrochlamys; Pink Clusia, Clusia orthoneura; and one small Mysore Raspberry, Rubus niveus.

DSC_0436.jpg

- 1:26PM - It was Sunday so the extra time lent itself to extra-curricular activities, allowing Travis to bring his hookah. He has brought it to the Extravaganza before and tells those interested of the back story behind it -- experienced during his time in the U.S. Army serving in Iraq.

DSC_0437.jpg

- 1:27PM - Andrea and Carlos ready, load and secure an order for delivery.

DSC_0438.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 1:27PM - After getting his golf cart back from Scott, Jeff drives over to check on everything, since Andrea is borrowing his truck. Carlos gets the last plants positioned correctly and covers them with shade cloth. Andrea had a long ride ahead for the delivery.

DSC_0439.jpg

- 1:34PM - With one hand on the wheel and the other on the camera, I took photos as I returned from the parking area after dropping off a customer. The freshly cut grass from a few days before is already flattened down.

DSC_0440.jpg

- 1:35PM - Donnie, 'nuff said. Standing his post at the gate, Donnie shares his charismatic nature as I take his photo while I drive by. You can barely make out his special name tag.

DSC_0442.jpg

- 1:36PM - The regular nursery parking lot was taken up by all the volunteers' vehicles. Every sale it becomes a jigsaw puzzle getting all the cars into the area, and this includes many who carpool.

DSC_0443.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 1:45PM - I returned to my post within the shadehouse to answer questions, share Biennial stories and general palm talk. Travis was answering questions before I arrived.

DSC_0445.jpg

- 1:56PM - In one of my many trips up and down the shadehouse sidewalk, in behind the caution tape I noticed bloom spikes and open inflorescences. They were appearing on many specimens within the block of Calyptrogyne ghiesbreghtiana, or Vampire Palms.

DSC_0446.jpg

- The palms were at their perfect rosette stage and were mature. The flowers are quite fragrant and smell just like fresh cut garlic. It is strange and surprising, but that is what they smell like.

DSC_0447.jpg

- 2:20PM - In between writing up customers, the gang hangs out at the table under the tent. Travis tries a different type of flavored tobacco, I think it was grape this time. From left to right, Amber jokes with Michelle, Jessica and Mandy as Travis puffs away.

DSC_0451.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:26PM - We got the idea to try to capture a lot of smoke in a photo. This was one of these spontaneous photo ideas that come out of nowhere. After a few attempts, Travis was able to get this much smoke in a shot. Since he holds it and doesn't inhale, he kept coughing it out after holding it too long.

DSC_0452.jpg

- Then it was his sister, Jessica's turn. He kept making her laugh so she couldn't do it.

DSC_0454.jpg

- 2:30PM - Human fog machine.

DSC_0455.jpg

- 2:33PM - "What's going on?" Jeff raises his hands gesturing a question as he talks with his father 'Pops' as he watches over everything from his golf cart. There was less than ninety minutes left in the day (and in the first Extravaganza weekend) and yet it was still busy. Jeff was inquiring about the level of customer traffic that was rather steady for the time of day.

DSC_0457.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:40PM - Travis was about to start dismantling the hookah after a while of smoking and sharing it with all those interested. He was trying to figure out what to do with the hookah water...

DSC_0459.jpg

- 2:44PM - Scott and Jeff took up position next to the register tent; to watch the sale activity, answer questions and discuss flowering trees.

DSC_0461.jpg

- Nap time.

DSC_0462.jpg

- 2:47PM - Beans... the good stuff. The 'B-Team' that cooks and runs the BBQ lunch on Sunday are famous for their beans. They make them with smoked bacon, more ham and other ingredients that are guarded secrets. I think one secret ingredient is beer and/or bourbon. A few of us from the checkout area came over to the barn to see what late lunch was available.

DSC_0464.jpg

Ryan

South Florida