IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Spring 'Ganza - Palm Life in the Ranches

Palmarum

The 17th Annual Spring Plant Extravaganza!

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. &

The Rainforest Collection®

SW. Ranches, Florida

March 6th, 7th, 8th -

13th, 14th, 15th - 2015

With so many years of practice, the Extravaganza sales area was ready for customers by noon the previous day... and I mean ready. We were looking for things to do and plants to pull, but ran out of both. We spent the time getting ready for the onslaught of customers and the upcoming fun with friends and volunteers. Morning of the first Friday saw the usual pre-sale setup of tractors, trailers, golf carts, hand carts, signs, brochures, etc. and the warm up of the checkout process. Volunteers took their positions with their preferred morning beverages and we were ready for the gates to be opened...

"I'm heading to the gate, Ryan are you coming!?" - Jeff Searle

- Friday, March 6th, 7:51AM - With that subtle signal, I climbed onto the golf cart and we headed to the gate. We passed the section up front with the tropical fruit trees as nursery patriarch Frank 'Pops' Searle drove past on his golf cart to make way along the main road. He likes to take up position near the 'fork' in the road to greet customers as they enter the sales area.

DSC_0146.jpg

- T-minus one minute. Our approach causes vehicles to empty and customers to start squeezing together behind the chain link gate. Jeff is at the wheel, with Andrea on the right. Andrea's duty is to open the gate and get surrounded by customers in the process, while Jeff and myself make a quick u-turn and stay ahead of the surge.

DSC_0150.jpg

- Manning the post at the gate this morning was Randy Searle, who greeted customers and gathered stray carts.

DSC_0151.jpg

- 7:52AM - Here they come. Andrea throws open the gates and the mass surges forth, the Spring Extravaganza is under way.

DSC_0152.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 7:52AM - In the course of a few seconds, customers exchange greetings and gestures with Jeff as he speeds off in the golf cart. I am hanging on with just gravity and photographing with both hands, to the best of my ability...

DSC_0155.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

- Jeff gets ahead of the crowd so he can drop me off, so he can swing back and greet customers...

DSC_0160.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 7:53AM - Jeff moves his golf cart over to one side, as I stay ahead of the mass. The group starts to stretch out as the faster customers take the lead.

DSC_0163.jpg

- They reach the front area and start picking up carts, I keep taking photos while walking backwards.

DSC_0164.jpg

- Leading the pack is Forum member Ron Kiefert (Moose) as he eyes the path ahead to the shadehouse. The small nursery dog known as Dumbo is not quite sure where to go.

DSC_0165.jpg

- Veteran grower and collector Shirley Mayotte stays in the front of the group as they reach the holding area and the first decision making point of 'which way to go'.

DSC_0166.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 7:53AM - Even with the mad rush in progress, a few customers take a second to say hello to Pops. He moved his golf cart over to the holding area at the last minute.

DSC_0168.jpg

- Customers were cutting through the holding area (which is what I usually do) to save time. I had to free hand this blurry shot of collector Lamar Sapp as he pushes his cart to the shadehouse, as I dodged both cart and speedy customer. In the background, customers start peeling off in different directions as they head to their favorite sections.

DSC_0169.jpg

- 7:54AM - [Crash] An actual cart crash at the moment of impact. Customers find out at the turn, that two carts cannot occupy the same space. The Ground Orchids paid the price.

DSC_0170.jpg

- Pack 'em, stack 'em and rack 'em. The parking lot in front of the Croton section begins to form immediately. Those in pursuit of Palms either squeeze through or have learned to head toward the side entrance.

DSC_0172.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 7:54AM - The first of the Croton enthusiasts start searching through the selection. It is interesting to watch, as they search by both reading the name tags and by visually looking through the leaf shapes and colors. A few of the diehard collectors just look for cultivars they can not easily identify on their own, meaning they could be ones they don't have.

DSC_0175.jpg

- Across the sidewalk from the Croton section were the Aroids and Tropical Foliage plants. I knew this area would not look this full for long, so I took photos.

DSC_0176.jpg

- It looks so good for a short while, then it thins out fast.

DSC_0177.jpg

- Hearing Croton banter and conversation, I turned around to see volunteers Chris Mayhew (on left, obscured) and FM. Tim O'Donnel (kwtimo) showing customers around the cultivars.

DSC_0178.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 7:57AM - The early bird gets the worm, and the rare cultivar in this case. I could hear customers as they continued to enter the sales area outside the shadehouse as the action inside intensified.

DSC_0180.jpg

- 8:01AM - I kept having to move out of the way. I got in one spot for a photo, then I was blocking access to a path or plant, then moved, and then the scenario kept repeating itself.

DSC_0181.jpg

- 8:02AM - I grabbed my handy step ladder and went in search of photo friendly locations, like the back of the Croton section.

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:03AM - An interesting thing happens among plant people who are customers. When it comes to a plant they know well, they will often describe and sell the plant to another customer. They do this with zeal and gusto and it is fun to watch whether it's a Croton, Palm or any plant.

DSC_0186.jpg

- The sidewalk begins with fill up with carts and people.

DSC_0187.jpg

- More carts appear and add to the parking lot near the shadehouse entrance... Customers make use of every square inch (cm) as they know a run to the holding area might use up valuable searching time.

DSC_0188.jpg

- 8:05AM - Can't make it through at this moment, time to turn around and wait a second for it to clear.

DSC_0190.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:06AM - Even with all the activity that has transpired, it has only been about ten minutes since the Extravaganza opened. Author and collector Paul Humann steers his cart towards the "Croton Mosh Pit" as Ron Kiefert calls it.

DSC_0191.jpg

- "Wow, that is nice to know." Volunteer Chris Mayhew surprises a customer with information and origin stories on many of the plants he chose. Chris has extensive knowledge with tropical plant cultivation, including a great amount of historical background with horticulture; including some within his own family.

DSC_0192.jpg

- 8:09AM - The side road saw traffic as there was an increased selection of tropical flowering trees in the section, along with orchids under the barn on the left.

DSC_0193.jpg

- 8:10AM - I followed Paul down the sidewalk, with my step ladder and camera.

DSC_0194.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:11AM - The shadehouse sidewalk was packed with traffic, more so at the intersection in front of the white tent. Constant, careful navigation was required to maneuver your cart through. Those who hit the Crotons first came from the west, while those who did the opposite entered at the side entrance to get at the Palms first.

DSC_0197.jpg

- Collector Steve made his first strike quick and efficiently. He was on his way to the holding area with his first load, while others had just arrived. He was holding fronds out of the way so he could move his cart through, carrying a large 10 gal. Hydriastele longispatha, a 3 gal. Hydriastele pinangoides and a 3 gal. Zamia vazquezii.

DSC_0198.jpg

- 8:12AM - Admiring, gawking, searching, browsing, selecting, reading, etc. Palm life at its fullest.

DSC_0200.jpg

- Landscaper Greg K. carts out a load of Crotons along with a 3 gal. Pinanga philippinensis (aka. P. elmeri) and a...

DSC_0201.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- ... 7 gal. Chamaedorea pochutlensis, seated at the back of the cart. Collector of said plants, FM. Mike Harris (waykoolplantz) walks past on the left.

DSC_0202.jpg

- 8:14AM - The outward leaf belonging to the 25 gal. Licuala peltata var. sumawongii saw a bit of wear and tear over the sale weekend. It was not undivided for long, but still held up well with all the traffic, plants and people ducking underneath it.

DSC_0203.jpg

- The tables were getting thinned out fast as the palms were being picked through thoroughly. Lone signs (now without plants) with their short metal stakes were placed under the tables or laid down where their plants once stood. The majority of the table-bound species were not able to be restocked.

DSC_0205.jpg

- 8:16AM - Sitting on the cart, the only specimen available of the Cyrtostachys sp. 'Hybrid' -- begins the trip to its new home.

DSC_0206.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:16AM - Greg and Didi go over their haul and see if there is room for anything else.

DSC_0207.jpg

- The main road saw customers from the start. Those heading to the landscape ornamentals or Bromeliads were treated to a wide selection.

DSC_0208.jpg

- Certain orders required more than what was on display. A golf cart and trailer were sent off into the nursery to get more plants.

DSC_0209.jpg

- 8:18AM - Back inside the shadehouse, it was business as usual.

DSC_0210.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:19AM - The shadehouse and the palm selection were prepped for the event and it showed. Species that have been overlooked in the past, saw renewed interest and their specimens made their way onto carts.

DSC_0211.jpg

- 8:23AM - Bringing your own cart has its advantages, especially a collapsible one. The 3 gal. Chamaedorea oblongata wasn't being placed in the cart, it was being taken out, but for only a moment.

DSC_0212.jpg

- It was taken out to make room for a 7 gal. Caryota zebrina, the magnificent Zebra Fishtail Palm. The C. oblongata was then placed on top of it. Croton collector Mike (known as Bullwinkle on Palmpedia) shows his admiration for the grab via his trademark smile.

DSC_0213.jpg

- 8:30AM - The two palms mentioned above were further joined by a 3 gal. Red Sealing Wax Palm, Cyrtostachys renda, and a 1 gal. Areca vestiaria var. 'Maroon Leaf'.

DSC_0214.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:32AM - Back up in the Croton section, spaces began to form on the ground cloth where plants used to be.

DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

DSC_0217.jpg

- Comfortably seated just outside the shadehouse, Ziggy Mayotte, a veteran of countless plant sales, watches over the stash belonging to his other half Shirley. She was still inside grabbing more plants.

DSC_0218.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:34AM - It is fun to watch the decision making practices of the true plant collector. I have seen a collector go back and retrieve another plant of the same size as the one on their cart, just because the first one looked 'lonely'.

DSC_0219.jpg

- Bromeliads everywhere.

DSC_0220.jpg

- 8:36AM - Lines upfront at the checkout were steady but moved through efficiently. On the right, Larry Searle keeps an eye on things around the registers.

DSC_0221.jpg

- The demand on carts was higher than usual. As soon as one was returned from the parking area, there was a customer waiting for it.

DSC_0222.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:38AM - A lane for hand carts on the inside, with a lane for golf carts on the outside. This happens when it gets busy.

DSC_0225.jpg

- Andrea was writing up the order, as driver Kylie Searle was ready to go.

DSC_0227.jpg

- It looks confusing, but it is organized I assure you.

DSC_0228.jpg

- 8:41AM - Collectors Lamar and Mike take one of their loaded carts out through the checkout. Mike was raising his hand to gesture to the camera, when I took the photo, mid-wave.

DSC_0229.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:42AM - Amber Searle writes up an order with a large mix of different plants. That one nearly rip fig belongs to an Ischia Fig and that dark red flower belongs to a species Hibiscus.

DSC_0230.jpg

DSC_0231.jpg

- 8:46AM - The next order was quite colorful.

DSC_0232.jpg

- It had Orchids, Bromeliads of a few different kinds, Gold Mound 1 gallons and Foxtail Ferns.

DSC_0233.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

loved all the pic's. Thanks for sharing. I felt like I was in the crowd shopping with everyone :):drool:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

- 8:50AM - Within an hour after opening, the Croton fans had made their way into the Palms and the Palm enthusiasts had moved through the Croton section at least once. A pair of brightly colored, 10 gal. Areca vestiaria wait on a cart as their new owner makes his way through the shadehouse.

DSC_0234.jpg

- 8:54AM - Dypsis were popular this sale. This 10 gal. Dypsis basilonga makes its way to the holding area.

DSC_0236.jpg

- I had to take more photos for the record, as Jeff has fewer and fewer specimens of this size remaining in stock. This palm might be one of the last for sale. Those trademark basal leaflets are so unique and eye-catching.

DSC_0237.jpg

- Steve brings a 3 gal. Areca vestiaria back to the shadehouse. Even with the sunglasses, the flash made him blink.

DSC_0239.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:44AM - All hands on deck. A large order was ready to head out, so everyone in and around the shadehouse was involved in collecting and moving the plants. The first step was to use hand carts to collect the palms along the sidewalk, then move the carts to the nearest exit to a waiting tractor and trailer. Repeat as necessary.

DSC_0240.jpg

- This group was moved out via the east exit, between shadehouses. The palm in motion is a 7 gal. Lytocaryum hoehnei. The last two waiting on the cart to the left are a 7 gal. Caryota ophiopellis and a 3 gal. Calyptrocalyx aff. fasciculatus.

DSC_0241.jpg

- After the palms located near this end of the shadehouse were loaded, they brought the tractor around to the other side...

DSC_0242.jpg

- 9:51AM - ... where the smaller palms and other plants waited to be loaded. Tim loads the cart, pushes it out to the road and answers questions at the same time.

DSC_0244.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:52AM - The order almost filled two trailers.

DSC_0245.jpg

- The majority of the plants were loaded by this point, with a few miscellaneous ones scattered around the sales area yet to be collected. The large palm on the corner of the trailer is a 7 gal. Licuala longipes.

DSC_0246.jpg

- An errant shot taken while walking through the holding area.

DSC_0247.jpg

- 9:56AM - Amber writes up an order belonging to FM. Rory (Rory). It was a great mix of very rare plants spanning palms, cycads and tropical flowering trees; including the tall Calycophyllum spruceanum at the front of the cart. The collection of the rare and unusual caught the attention of collector and volunteer Chris Mayhew on the left.

DSC_0248.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:13AM - One of the very last minute pulls for the sale, was this Chambeyronia macrocarpa var. hookeri along with a few similarly-sized brethren. The name did not make it onto the list as it was placed on the sidewalk very early Friday morning, mostly due in part to this newly emerging red leaf.

DSC_0250.jpg

- The red leaf certainly helped with getting the palm onto a cart, not to mention getting it noticed and pulled.

DSC_0251.jpg

- 11:48AM - Customer traffic continued to grow throughout the afternoon. Even without the event BBQ lunch on Friday, people either brought lunch with them or left to eat and returned. I saw one customer who came early, went to work late, left work early then returned to the nursery to shop some more.

DSC_0252.jpg

- 11:56AM - "Yeah, it's mine now." An excited customer walks past, carrying an elegant 7 gal. Pinanga speciosa. Specimens start getting some serious color when they reach this size.

DSC_0253.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:59AM - I was walking to the office to take part in our lunch spread when I noticed more red leaves that caught my eye. In the back side of this dense, heavily clustering Calyptrocalyx sp. 'Boalak' I saw red pushing through the bright green. I spun the palm around and shot this shiny new red leaf. It was a good thing in the long run. Since the red leaf was now facing the sidewalk, it caught the attention of a customer who bought the palm.

DSC_0255.jpg

- 12:04PM - A new leaf emerges on a Coccoloba pubescens.

DSC_0257.jpg

- The new leaf was growing quite fast. Those giant leaves were soft to the touch and covered with numerous fine hairs.

DSC_0259.jpg

- 1:09PM - After lunch, I walked back to the shadehouse to see the sales area keeping busy. A cart passed by me with different plants, including a 7 gal. Licuala peltata var. sumawongii and a 7 gal. Gaussia princeps.

DSC_0262.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 1:10PM - Sometimes when the need arises, a cart will become a mobile holding area. This idea usually works fine as long as you can keep an eye on it. Although loading it with big material lessens the chances of someone else walking off with your plants. The customer on the right was becoming enamored with a Cryosophila warscewiczii just out of frame.

DSC_0264.jpg

- When one large Verschaffeltia splendida is not enough, you ask for another one. Jeff pulled a second 10 gallon specimen to go with the first to give the customer what they needed. In behind the pair, a 7 gal. Pelagodoxa henryana joins the cart ride. On the right, Tim answers questions about the C. warscewiczii.

DSC_0266.jpg

- 1:11PM - Further down the sidewalk, Jeff was helping the customer with other palms. This cart was in the process of being filled, currently loaded with two sizes of Licuala peltata var. sumawongii (10 & 7 gal.) and a 7 gal. Areca catechu cv. alba.

DSC_0267.jpg

- Jeff starts to move the cart down the sidewalk when he stopped to mention the red crownshaft of the Areca macrocalyx var. 'Mariae' to the customer. They liked the description and told him to throw it on.

DSC_0268.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 1:16PM - A 7 gal. Hydriastele beguinii var. 'Obi Island Form' was added along the way.

DSC_0269.jpg

- With Tim on one cart, and Jeff on the other, they move the growing stash out to the holding area.

DSC_0271.jpg

- 1:22PM - Instant gratification, waiting to go home.

DSC_0274.jpg

- Tim helps with getting some landscape Begonias.

DSC_0275.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 1:26PM - The Friday after-lunch crowd continued to trickle into the sales area throughout the afternoon. The day was filled with surprise visits and welcomed talks with friends and noted people of the plant world; past, present and future. Tim came over to ask Jeff a question while Jeff was chatting with veteran plantsman Sam Mitchell. Sam is long time grower, collector and renown landscaper from the '80s and '90s. He has some great stories from the old days, when he introduced certain palm species to the S. Florida landscape. Even without much of his eyesight, he still makes use of all that knowledge and experience.

DSC_0276.jpg

- 1:39PM - An expected sight...

DSC_0277.jpg

- The Crysophila warscewiczii that was being admired earlier in the shadehouse, found its way onto a cart belonging to its newest fan.

DSC_0278.jpg

- 1:46PM - A specialty loading job required the use of many hands, including those of Andrea and Kylie.

DSC_0279.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 1:46PM - With a quick tie-up by Amadeo, the palm was ready to go. Notice those bright-white leaf undersides.

DSC_0280.jpg

- In certain situations, a customer may bring their car into the nursery parking lot. In this case, the customer could not take their entire load at once, so Andrea, Jeff and crew loaded what they could for the first trip.

DSC_0281.jpg

- They had a long ride ahead, so they might not be back until tomorrow. If there is any reason to tickle Kylie, it usually happens.

DSC_0282.jpg

- 1:52PM - A selected plant stash can vary a great deal. From what I could see, this cart held a Bird's Nest Fern, an Ischia Fig, a Stingray Alocasia, a False Aralia, some small palm and a 7 gal. Burretiokentia hapala.

DSC_0284.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:04PM - This order, that was gathering in the holding area, was going to be delivered. Andrea and Tim came over to write the order up in place, so the customer could pay and give delivery instructions.

DSC_0286.jpg

- 2:21PM - A Forum member's first time visit here to the Extravaganza, brought us over to this Teddy Bear/Triangle Palm Hybrid, Dypsis leptocheilos x decaryi. It reminded me to photograph the showy, fast-growing palm for the one who planted it... the Forum's own Bill Sanford (BS Man about Palms). He planted the palm when it was a small three gallon plant, five years ago during his visit to the Spring 2010 'Ganza.

DSC_0287.jpg

- Time flies and so does this palm. I am not sure, but that might be its first inflorescence.

DSC_0288.jpg

- One more view, showing more of the decorative trunk and the aforementioned Forum member, Keith Zimmerman (Zeeth). He was able to attend after making the long journey down from Central Florida.

DSC_0289.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:33PM - At the halfway point during Friday afternoon, a strange thing happened. A customer bought all the 45 gal. Cabada Palms, Dypsis cabadae, from within the shadehouse. I don't mean just the two that bookend the entrance to the shadehouse sidewalk, I mean all of them...

DSC_0290.jpg

- They got several palms, every tall specimen Jeff had in the familiar spot, just inside the shadehouse on the right side. Workers and volunteers all came together to start moving out the heavy palms. Tim does his own impersonation of a forklift and pushes one out and under the shadehouse door.

DSC_0291.jpg

- In the middle of all this, a customer wanted to see what a large Red Sealing Wax Hybrid, Cyrtostachys sp. 'Hybrid', looked like. So I took them into the planted section behind the BBQ area and showed them this bushy, very fast growing specimen. This particular plant is quite red for a hybrid. You will not believe me as to how young this palm is, so I won't even post the age.

DSC_0293.jpg

- Back out to the big move, Amadeo brings in the New Holland loader to carry out the Cabada Palms.

DSC_0295.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:43PM - With care and skill, and with Amadeo at the controls with Carlos moving, the palms get loaded onto the bucket...

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

- They got moved out two at a time. With the loader in route, the next two palms get moved over and put into position.

DSC_0298.jpg

- During the time span before the loader returned, customers were able to move back and forth. Some were stationary watching the whole moving process.

DSC_0299.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Wow. As usual I love the reporting by you Ryan and miss My friend Jeff and all the others. Its great to see how well that Hybrid has done! I think of MacArthur every time "I shall return"!!

:blink2:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Wait, I didn't see any photos of me at the Ganza! Oh yeah, that's because I wasn't there (...says me kicking my own butt for missing it!).

Wow. So much eye candy!

Wow. As usual I love the reporting by you Ryan and miss My friend Jeff and all the others. Its great to see how well that Hybrid has done! I think of MacArthur every time "I shall return"!! ...

I describe many of the palms you planted in the landscape as "BS Palms" which often causes funny facial reactions among customers; until I explain what the BS stands for. Forum members get it almost immediately. Even five years later, I will hear "is that enthusiastic Dypsis guy from California around?" I answer with "Maybe, you'll have to look for him."

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- 2:44PM - Carlos poses for the camera as he gets the next pair of Cabada Palms ready.

DSC_0300.jpg

- 2:56PM - After all the Cabada Palms were moved out, the shadehouse had a bit of a void. They occupied the area to the left of the slanted telephone poles. Compare this view to how it looked in the second photo of post #5, earlier in the topic. Tim and Jeff move the Aroid tables over and space the plants out.

DSC_0301.jpg

- 3:04PM - The first day of the Spring Extravaganza was winding down as the collectors had thinned out, giving way to the late day 'after-work' crowd. They do their best to get to the nursery before closing. Volunteers and FMs. Tim O'Donnel (kwtimo), Judy & Jim Glock (jglock1), hang out in the shadehouse with Jeff and myself. Judy and Jim were about to leave early and head to the house to get the special Friday night dinner ready. Before they left, Jeff's phone rang, it was Scott Cohen calling about the sale. Unable to defend himself in person, Scott quickly became the target of ridicule, via speakerphone.

DSC_0302.jpg

Post Tour - Friday Evening

Jeff Searle Residence

- 5:21PM - Time for the tour. After wrapping things up at the nursery, people slowly make their way over to Jeff's house. We selected our beverages of choice and after waiting for a group of plant oriented folk to arrive, we headed out into the yard. Many of the orchids were in bloom and I always have to photograph them.

DSC_0304.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 5:21PM - These few orchids are mounted right outside the sliding glass doors, so they are some of the first plants people see as they exit the living room.

DSC_0305.jpg

- 5:25PM - The first venture into the yard was to visit the turtles with Kylie, to make sure none of them have flipped over. Occasionally, they have disagreements that involve pushing each other around. The first group were hiding so we skipped them and went to check on the massive African Spur-Thigh Tortoises, Geochelone sulcata, that inhabit the large enclosure. I should have included a scale object in the shot, as they are quite large.

DSC_0306.jpg

- Back in the smaller enclosure, Kylie found and woke up the other group of turtles, Red Footed Tortoises, Chelonoidis carbonaria. They stretched and then began to spread out looking for water and food. Yes, that one in the foreground does have a phone number painted on its shell. Next time you see Andrea, ask her about it, its a quirky story she can tell quite well.

DSC_0307.jpg

DSC_0308.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 5:31PM - A closer view of one of the Red Foots...

DSC_0309.jpg

- I added one more shot, as I noticed this Spur-Thigh was standing on a paver stone for scale.

DSC_0310.jpg

- These twin Arenga westerhoutii have stood near the turtle pens for a long time, but have slowly started to flower. Those massive leaves are quite stunning and shade a large area.

DSC_0312.jpg

- 5:40PM - Color! I took Kylie back to the house and rejoined the group as they were gathering on the patio. Right off the edge of the patio lies this unique Red Sealing Wax Hybrid, Cyrtostachys sp. 'Hybrid'. Instead of red it has a orange-yellow color scheme, along with the bright green foliage.

DSC_0313.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- A wider view of the palm above. I think this color form is very unusual and stands out as if it was painted.

DSC_0314.jpg

- 5:43PM - A palm in the full sun area caught my eye. This Pseudophoenix vinifera was flowering for the first time.

DSC_0315.jpg

- Time to sit and relax.

DSC_0316.jpg

- Plant talk abounds in this situation. From palms to crotons, to sale stories and on, nothing was skipped while avoiding dog slobber from Kona.

DSC_0317.jpg

Ryan

South Florida