IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

So many Carpoxylon, so few grown to their potential...

Mandrew968

They generally do quite well in clay soil..... Mine are currently in quite wet clay loam. In my previous garden I had one in a horrible clay / shale soil and it grew quite well.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

They generally do quite well in clay soil..... Mine are currently in quite wet clay loam. In my previous garden I had one in a horrible clay / shale soil and it grew quite well.

Excellent, thanks Andrew.

Rio_Grande.gif

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Yesterday my dad and I saw the biggest Carpoxylon I have ever seen! Oh my gosh--this palm is hard to get out of your head when you see such a monster! Pictures will probably not do any justice, but here goes... 

carpoxylon1.jpg

carpoxylon2.jpg

carpoxylon3.jpg

• Upvote 3

These were planted in 1998. I sure would love to see bigger than this... anyone in Hawaii???

carpoxylon4.jpg

• Upvote 2

Here is another shot. I may have one more... man, these pics don't really tell the story well...

carpoxylon5.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ok, not the best image, but maybe the best shot for giving scale--look at my father, standing just below these palms... I estimate 30' of wood.

carpoxylon6.jpg

• Upvote 2

Stellar Carpoxylons Andrew, :greenthumb::greenthumb:       Since Ive seen em look so good in Florida, its another Palm Ive crushed up heaps of concrete and dug down for its roots to grow into, ( 18 plus mnths ago)  and    it didnt even slightly burn last summer for the 1 st time and its in "full sun",  also  growth has picked up, so once again , for me anyway, if a palm loves Florida put a heap of broken up c/crete around it and when planting put it in the hole..  Pete :)

Washed seashells would also work, Pete. They don't have to be nice ones and you might wanna bash em a bit before they go in the mix--lot of calcium carbonate in those shells and Psuedophoenix love them.

6 minutes ago, Mandrew968 said:

Washed seashells would also work, Pete. They don't have to be nice ones and you might wanna bash em a bit before they go in the mix--lot of calcium carbonate in those shells and Psuedophoenix love them.

Yes, whenever the kids n I are at the beach I give them a bucket to fill with sea shells and any dead coral, The following day I crush it up and give it "all" to the largest Tahina then add some mulch n lime ontop, it "Loves" it..   Pete :) 

• Upvote 1

Wow, this is my dream palm!:yay:

2 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

A human for scale...

carpoxylon2.jpg

Do you have a giant wood chicken or i am dreaming?:blink:

What a fabulous looking palm species! Certainly dont see any over here!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

54 minutes ago, Monòver said:

Wow, this is my dream palm!:yay:

Do you have a giant wood chicken or i am dreaming?:blink:

It's a two seater cock from an old carousel. The bees have made a hive inside.

Its  sort of a shame they keep bolting "upwards" , just like so many great looking Palms, it'd be great if many stayed that" height"  imo, its a Kickass looking Carpxylon for sure :greenthumb:  Pete :) 

13 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

A human for scale...

carpoxylon2.jpg

• 3 months later...

Yours is an amazing specimen, Andrew, and there are many beautiful examples in this thread.  You obviously love yours.  I think there are many examples of beautiful ones and there are many that are poorly grown, I'm sure, but that's probably true of many palm species.  Our Carpoxylon in Sarasota, FL is not huge, but it's starting to be a decent size.  We love it and find it an easy palm to grow.  It is in good, moisture-retentive soil in full-blazing Florida sun throughout the summer, and half day full sun through winter.  over the last four years we've had it it's adapted to that amount of sun and no longer gets tip burn on leaves.  Once or twice weekly watering from sprinkler when there's no rain.  Lately it's gotten fertilizer, but before this year hardly any.  Just easy peasy in our garden.

DSC_1896.JPG

• Upvote 4

On 10/21/2016, 1:24:57, annafl said:

Yours is an amazing specimen, Andrew, and there are many beautiful examples in this thread.  You obviously love yours.  I think there are many examples of beautiful ones and there are many that are poorly grown, I'm sure, but that's probably true of many palm species.  Our Carpoxylon in Sarasota, FL is not huge, but it's starting to be a decent size.  We love it and find it an easy palm to grow.  It is in good, moisture-retentive soil in full-blazing Florida sun throughout the summer, and half day full sun through winter.  over the last four years we've had it it's adapted to that amount of sun and no longer gets tip burn on leaves.  Once or twice weekly watering from sprinkler when there's no rain.  Lately it's gotten fertilizer, but before this year hardly any.  Just easy peasy in our garden.

DSC_1896.JPG

Nice, I want to plant mine soon.

In the sun acclimation process:asleep:

• Upvote 1

Rio_Grande.gif

On 10/21/2016, 6:53:47, Mandrew968 said:

Update. Taken yesterday in the drizzling rain.

carpoxylon.jpg

What a beast!!! (The carpoxylon):)

Rio_Grande.gif

On 10/21/2016, 6:53:47, Mandrew968 said:

lot of calcium carbonate

I poured that into my copernicias, it's that for the pH level,right? Or for another purposes?

Rio_Grande.gif

Looking good everybody! Just outstanding palms particularly when younger when the scale of that amazing crownshaft is at eye level. 

These were planted at the end of 2009 from 5 gal. pots. Never skipped a beat here in east Hawaii. 

Tim

P1030317.jpg

• Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

In Gardens by The Bay, december 2012: (hopefully others could post recent pictures)

DSCN4151.thumb.JPG.70790e6f81cfb99a0f42aDSCN4152.thumb.JPG.c8eaa0876dc26b6e51ccb

DSCN4164.thumb.JPG.a1bbaef58521d1d83598c

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Just now, foxtail said:

Here's mine. Can't wait to plant it.

12oz. Can

580fae17d1597_2016-10-2515.07.45.thumb.j

580fae20a9425_2016-10-2515.08.05.thumb.j

can't wait to see update pics :D

• Upvote 1

Philippe

9 minutes ago, foxtail said:

Here's mine. Can't wait to plant it.

12oz. Can

580fae17d1597_2016-10-2515.07.45.thumb.j

580fae20a9425_2016-10-2515.08.05.thumb.j

What are you waiting???

Plant it!!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Monòver said:

What are you waiting???

Plant it!!

yes but where? choosing the good position is not so easy.:)

Philippe

Wow, Andrew, that is a beauty!  Anna's and Tim's are awesome too!  Foxtail, if you have year-round high humidity and/or cloud cover, they don't need much in the way of shade.  Mine are in East Hawaii sun -- which is to say plenty of cloud cover, plenty of rain, some direct sun.  A healthy mix. ;)  You will love watching this palm develop that awesome green crownshaft!

Carpoxylonmacrospermumc4ffacee0.thumb.jp

• Upvote 4

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

1 hour ago, Kim said:

Wow, Andrew, that is a beauty!  Anna's and Tim's are awesome too!  Foxtail, if you have year-round high humidity and/or cloud cover, they don't need much in the way of shade.  Mine are in East Hawaii sun -- which is to say plenty of cloud cover, plenty of rain, some direct sun.  A healthy mix. ;)  You will love watching this palm develop that awesome green crownshaft!

Carpoxylonmacrospermumc4ffacee0.thumb.jp

Love it.

Kim,

In my area, we have year round high humidity but some days the sun hit really hard and some days with scattered clouds.

Edited by foxtail

Rio_Grande.gif

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2016‎ ‎1‎:‎24‎:‎57‎, annafl said:

DSC_1896.JPG

Very nice Anna!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

It appears mot of us are having load of success. And fun!

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

On 10/24/2016, 9:38:21, Gbarce said:

At what size do these guys start seeding?

Mine is about 2 years from that I think, maybe three.

I took the following photos of my Carpoxylon today. I hope it will trunk within a year. On the third try I got this one right.

Carpoxylon macrospermum5810d4f185295_Carpoxylonmacrospermum02105810d50706d03_Carpoxylonmacrospermum03105810d5226db23_Carpoxylonmacrospermum04105810d52f02ade_Carpoxylonmacrospermum0510

• Upvote 5

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.